Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Roleplaying Game of Undetermnied Properties

+7
deonte9109
Copper Rose
ZamuelNow
Xel Unknown
Z2
Miang
AProcrastinatingWriter
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which kind of game should I be running?

A New Roleplaying Game of Undetermnied Properties I_vote_lcap40%A New Roleplaying Game of Undetermnied Properties I_vote_rcap 40% 
[ 6 ]
A New Roleplaying Game of Undetermnied Properties I_vote_lcap20%A New Roleplaying Game of Undetermnied Properties I_vote_rcap 20% 
[ 3 ]
A New Roleplaying Game of Undetermnied Properties I_vote_lcap7%A New Roleplaying Game of Undetermnied Properties I_vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
A New Roleplaying Game of Undetermnied Properties I_vote_lcap33%A New Roleplaying Game of Undetermnied Properties I_vote_rcap 33% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 15

Poll closed

A New Roleplaying Game of Undetermnied Properties Empty A New Roleplaying Game of Undetermnied Properties

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:38 pm

...I like running games.

Well, although that's true, it doesn't quite get to the point of what I really like to do: design potential games to play. Running the plot after is nice and substantial (and time-consuming Razz) but the idea of the world, seeing all those potentialities open up, is...

...awesome.

So due to this love of mine, I've come up with several ideas for games, but I'm already running one and can really only run one more (and even then I might end up crashing and burning if I'm not careful). So, I created this topic to poll you guys. What kind of game do you think I should be running...that is, what kind of game do you want to play?

The poll I am posting is set to expire in seven days. If there is no poll, something has gone wrong and you'll have to vote manually. Choose an option in the poll, of course (please refrain from choosing one unless you would actually make an attempt to play the game once it came into existence) , but be aware that the choice with the most votes might not actually win. I'm not saying that I'll have the option with a single vote beat the one with twenty, of course, but I want to take more than just plain democracy into account.

I also want to hear why you want to play the game you want to play. I also want to see who wants to play the game they want to play. I want to examine this issue from every side, not just a straight popularity contest. That being said, the one with the most votes probably will win regardless, but possibilities exist...

At any rate, you see the options, but which one do you pick? What, precisely, are they (Besides that obvious one there)? Are any of them pony-based? (The answer to the last one is mostly no.) Well, to help you decide, here's a brief summary of each, along with a list of potential pros and cons to picking that specific choice. These summaries will be greatly expanded depending on which one, if any, wins. And, of course, if there's any specific game you'd play "if it weren't for this one thing", speak up and we'll see if anything might be done about that.

Mega-Crossover
Something's cracked open reality, and 52 multiverses are about to smack directly into each other.
In this game, I will give a list of 52 fictional stories/series (among them being Mario Bros., Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Marvel Comics and, of course, My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic)  that you may choose to call your character's home. Depending on where exactly you hail from, you'll get various utility talents, or racial traits, or other benefits that match what one might expect of a resident of a certain world. Once created, your characters will be thrust in a multi-multiversal-spanning conflict of about a billion interests, as your favorite (and least favorite) fictional characters adjust to encountering each other's worlds, and the characters within. Will use Skype Rules.
Number of Players: Yes
Pros(?): The sheer nerd-factor of seeing two characters you love dearly interact with each other holds some weight, as does being able to influence the superhero/shoujo/grimdark events around you in a more favorable way. There is no limit on the number of players...well, technically there's a limit, but what I'm trying to say is there will be a much higher maximum number than usual. Then, of course, will be the villains you'll be fighting...
Cons(?): The party will begin split up across very many worlds, not knowing each other - essentially, you'll each be playing very many solo campaigns that happen to take place in the same universe, and the universe is a very large place. Attempts will be made to get the party together, but at first...

Game of Gods
It turns out magic is a lot like Hawking Radiation.
In this game, you'll play a wizard, witch, or other magical practitioner in a modern-day setting on a planet suspiciously like Earth - almost identical, in fact, despite the fact that none of the major or minor religions of our world exist. Instead, faith is placed (or not) in various proven-to-exist gods, a pantheon of my own personal creation. Your characters work for an agency that deals with various magical and mythical criseses as they happen - or, ideally, before they happen. May use the Tabletop Ruleset.
Number of Players: 4-6
Pros(?): You will be accompanied in this game (At least for its first portion) by another member of the agency which will give advice and support in the field. This game will allow a great amount of creative expression in terms of the magical abilities you possess. It will also be at least somewhat dark, will have an expansive mythology, and will be very complex in the rules of its magical systems.
Cons(?): This game will be somewhat difficult, at least in terms of letting your characters do things without any forethought. It will also be at least somewhat dark, will have an expansive mythology, and will be very complex in the rules of its magical systems.

Naruto: the RPG
Can three people really make a difference?
As implied in the title, this game takes place in the world of Naruto - more than that, it takes place alongside it. Players will take control of the three members of a relatively new genin team from the Village Hidden in the Leaves, right before the Chunin Exams seen near the beginning of the series. The story will proceed exactly as it does in the original Naruto series - except for any changes the player characters might make. Will definitely use the Tabletop Ruleset.
Number of Players: Exactly Three
Pros(?): If you really like Naruto, this is your game. Due to certain special rules (including the Talent Specialization document) your characters will likely be much more powerful, gameplay-wise, than characters of similar levels from other campaigns.
Cons(?): If you really hate Naruto, this is not your game at all. The plot will be precisely that of the show at first - at second if no major changes are made - at third if no major changes are made, etc.

Monster Hunting
We are the Hunters. We are not the Prey.
In a world of savage creatures, humans found culture and grouped in tiny (but well-protected) villages. Just outside of these villages, the still-savage world awaits, its tempting rewards beckoning the no-longer-savage humans. The player characters are employed in a monster-hunting agency, mostly going out to collect resources both necessary and otherwise, but occasionally rescuing kidnapped victims or getting vengeance upon a creature for a past wrong. Will use Skype rules.
Number of Players: 3-5
Pros(?): Lots of cool monsters to fight. A very combat-heavy campaign (though it should be noted roleplaying is not discouraged).
Cons(?): Not much involved in the way of story. A very combat-heavy campaign (though it should be noted roleplaying is not discouraged).

Those are your choices, this is my post. Let's hope the poll works!
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

A New Roleplaying Game of Undetermnied Properties Empty Re: A New Roleplaying Game of Undetermnied Properties

Post  Miang Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi. I'm new here. Well kinda. I've been lurking for a while. So I voted for the Game of the Gods thing because that just sounded more interesting to me than the Crossover or Naruto games. The Monster Hunter one would have been more appealing to me aside from that you said it would be really combat heavy.

Miang
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

A New Roleplaying Game of Undetermnied Properties Empty Re: A New Roleplaying Game of Undetermnied Properties

Post  Z2 Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:20 pm

So, for some reason I wasn't allowed to vote on the actual poll, but I'd like to put in an approval for monster hunter...

Edit: nvm, the vote went through this time
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Yeah... I like the idea of Monster Hunter thing too... Admitingly I posted that before seeing it'd be RP-Light and combat-heavy... (you can get combat done without using the combat system... EPIC FIGHT I HAD TAKEN OUT 860 ZOMBIES WITHOUT ANY "COMBAT" but pure RP-Fighting. It was really fun.)
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:32 pm

I think the Naruto one would be better if it got more of...its own spin? Not sure the right way to word it. Having a RPG based on something or part of another world can be fun but I think it works better if it gets to be its own thing than just by the numbers. So I'm in sort of a weird "not a full vote but..." for the Naruto campaign.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:34 pm

Like I said, we can make an attempt to shuffle things around if people feel strongly about it.

I also feel it is important to note that (though it may have reset itself at some point) I did choose the options that allowed people to select more than one thing and cancel their votes if they wished. Again, I don't know if those things stuck, but...
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:59 pm

Am I the only one who likes Mega Crossover? (I would totally play Orihime Inoue from Bleach :3)
Copper Rose
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  deonte9109 Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:18 am

I am all for all of them except Naruto. Had you suggested this when I first started reading Naruto I'd be all over like white on rice but now after seeing the ridiculousness that is the manga over the years, my head just cannot handle trying to deal with that.
deonte9109
deonte9109
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:19 am

Dear Diary,

Even at this early stage of the poll, the results are thus far entirely different than what I would have expected. Which makes it a good thing, I suppose, that I made the poll in the first place.

This cheeseburger is pretty good.

Sincerely,
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:28 am

I don't know that I'd throw in for any of the games were they to spring up, but hypothetically I like Mega crossover the best. Voted, if for no other reason than it would justify a character I have the hardest time justifying playing.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Lapis-Lazily Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:19 am

I like game of gods. That sounds cool, and I would totally love to play in it.
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily
Overworked Designer
Overworked Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:28 pm

The Mega-Crossover, while awesome seems like well too dangerous to touch with even a mile long pole. Crossover's alone are dangerous. Mega crossover RP? Not touching, ever.

Games of Gods... something about playing on earth with non of our religions and only 'proven gods' just feels... wrong

Naruto RP... nyeh, I like Naruto a lot, but I'll rather wait till the manga is done. That, and I don't like the player limit.

So that leaves the Monster-Hunter... and oh boy. Is that awesome. Fighting gaint monsters? Yes please! Combat heavy? I can get behind that? RP light? P-lease! Combat has TONS of RPing in it alone! Besides, if its giant monsters, I wonder if the fighting can be like the fighting in RWBY, which would be AWESOME!
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:57 pm

deonte9109 wrote:I am all for all of them except Naruto. Had you suggested this when I first started reading Naruto I'd be all over like white on rice but now after seeing the ridiculousness that is the manga over the years, my head just cannot handle trying to deal with that.
What's interesting is that I've only seen the first season of the anime. I think many of the base concepts work well but there's issues of execution. However, one way to handle one of Fury's issues with the proposal is that instead of a flat 3 players, recruit in multiples of three. This retains the style of 3 member squads but allows more players as a whole. Granted, I'm GMing a campaign elsewhere with only 3 players so it can be an interesting challenge of its own.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Even with that issue solved, I'll still choose the Monster Hunter RP.

And really, Naruto has just gotten more and more epic, not ridiculous.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:26 pm

It doesn't look like anybody else wants to vote,

BUT

just in case,

Here's a quick reminder post that you have about four days left in which to vote.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Looks like its going to be a very close vote...
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:56 pm

I voted for the Monster Hunter idea. Because monsters.

To be more specific, I like the concept of games like Monster Hunter and God Eater Burst, so I'm hoping to see how similar this will be. I particularly like cases in which the monsters are a threat to humanity rather than just minding their own business. I certainly would like to know more about the setting...
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:57 pm

I hope the fights will be crazy awesome like they are in RWBY
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:02 pm

I just hope we'll have both fights in the combat system and outside of it.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:08 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:I just hope we'll have both fights in the combat system and outside of it.
That would be interesting...

A combination would be even more interesting.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:12 pm

A combo of these two only work if there is like "mid-combat Skill Challanges" where we RP and stuff between major fight scenes... Anything else is just begging to be totally broken or fell totally useless...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:16 pm

Something like that... Hard to do, but potentially awesome.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:21 pm

If done right it can make the combat feel fresh and memberable regardless of how long it'll go.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:04 pm

And it'll be done wrong if it's done by me.

That's jokeism for "We'll see".

@Dusk Raven: the monsters will usually be minding their own business, though if they mobilized then they would be a severe threat to humanity. "We are the Hunters. We are not the prey." In times past, the monsters were a threat just because of the average person going about their business, but as stated all the little humans got together in big ol' villages some time ago.

I'd classify the setting "anachronistic agrarian/mercantile economy, with decentralized dictatorships." I could go into more detail than that, or I could let PCs discover the world through playing the game.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:42 pm

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:In this game, I will give a list of 52 fictional stories/series (among them being Mario Bros., Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Marvel Comics and, of course, My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic)  that you may choose to call your character's home. Depending on where exactly you hail from, you'll get various utility talents, or racial traits, or other benefits that match what one might expect of a resident of a certain world.
What would the specialized rules consist of? Any way of finding out what 52 universes it would be ahead of time?
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next