Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LL - The Hordes of the Blight (why yes, we are recruiting)

+7
Fury of the Tempest
Stairc -Dan Felder
AProcrastinatingWriter
Lapis-Lazily
Caden2112
Miang
Dusk Raven
11 posters

Page 2 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

LL - The Hordes of the Blight (why yes, we are recruiting) - Page 2 Empty Re: LL - The Hordes of the Blight (why yes, we are recruiting)

Post  Dusk Raven Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:28 pm

Understood.

Updating the lore post with a brief (as in, shorter than I thought it'd be) post on magic types. Elaboration is certainly warranted and can be provided.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

LL - The Hordes of the Blight (why yes, we are recruiting) - Page 2 Empty Re: LL - The Hordes of the Blight (why yes, we are recruiting)

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Re:Wizardry;

If I inscribe a rune, does its effect activate immediately, or can/is it stored in some way? Are there specific "activation" runes that, when inscribed, cause the effect in question to occur? How many times can a "sequence" of runes be used before they no longer have any effect?
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:41 pm

This game is the one still recruiting right? If so I'd like to sign up. Looked at the races and the rest of the lore. Nice. I might PM an idea for another race if that's ok? Also apologies ahead of time if it takes me a bit to make a character. Might go and look at other combat setups people have in other games to get a better idea. Or I might just end up stealing one if that's not against the spirit of things here.
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:54 pm

Yep, still recruiting.

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Re:Wizardry;

If I inscribe a rune, does its effect activate immediately, or can/is it stored in some way? Are there specific "activation" runes that, when inscribed, cause the effect in question to occur? How many times can a "sequence" of runes be used before they no longer have any effect?
There is an "activation rune" that causes a sequence to initialize. Not sure about the last sentence, but each sequence activates once, and then has to be re-drawn.

Figures you pick the type of magic that, at this point in history, is the least common. The world is still young and many runes - or their applications - remain unknown. Your characters could always be a pioneer in the field, though.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:06 pm

He only really knows one rune - when activated, it propels the object it is written on forwards (Relative to the rune-writer) at very high speeds.

The problem is, he's creative.

Character sheet will be up by the end of the day...tomorrow. *shrug*
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:17 pm

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:The problem is, he's creative.
That's all you really need in the end, isn't it?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:

GOMU GOMU NO...
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:29 pm

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:
Fury of the Tempest wrote:

GOMU GOMU NO...
Glad you know exactly what I mean.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Say, pickpocketing would depend more on Mechanics than Stealth, right?

I mean, Stealth would be great too to avoid getting caught, but Mechanics is what lets you do the actual thing, right?
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:08 pm

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Say, pickpocketing would depend more on Mechanics than Stealth, right?

I mean, Stealth would be great too to avoid getting caught, but Mechanics is what lets you do the actual thing, right?
I have... no idea. I suppose if you could justify it being under mechanics it would work... I do remember there being a discussion about that in one of the rules threads...

In the meantime, Marona has made their own race, and is perfectly welcome to post it here for all to see.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Well, half of pickpocketing is stealth, admittedly,

But like,

If someone willingly volunteers to be pickpocketed, like they have a new security system or something in their pocket, and so they know you're coming and it is agreed ahead of time they'll act like they don't, you don't need to perform a stealth check, but that doesn't automatically mean you'll succeed at getting the wallet from their pocket - that'd be a mechanics check. So pickpocketing is mechanics, hiding the fact you're doing it is Stealth.

"Half of pickpocketing being stealth" isn't actually accurate, really. Like, owning a firearm is illegal in some countries, so to hide it would be a stealth check, but to perform the act of actually firing it you'd need a mechanics check (Fine manipulation, aiming, etc.). If it wasn't illegal, you wouldn't need to make the Stealth check, and therefore the act of firing should not be in and of itself a stealth check. I think it's the same with pickpocketing.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:34 pm

<LE PO>

When you say "inscribed", I know the literal definition is to write or draw something OR to etch something into something else, but most people when they hear the word are thinking of the colloquial meaning, which is etching only.

In which way are you using the word? In other words, does writing a sequence of runes down work just as well as actual carving?
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:38 pm

Justification for Mechanics accepted.

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:<LE PO>

When you say "inscribed", I know the literal definition is to write or draw something OR to etch something into something else, but most people when they hear the word are thinking of the colloquial meaning, which is etching only.

In which way are you using the word? In other words, does writing a sequence of runes down work just as well as actual carving?
Any sort of depiction will work, provided the right materials are used. That way, it's hard for someone to be doodling and accidentally unleash magic...
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:43 pm

Okay, that's actually fair. Is coming up with the "right kinds of materials" an exercise in roleplaying on my part, or are there specific things I should keep on me roleplay-wise if I'm gonna be doing (pretty mild) wizardry?

EDIT: Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I have(what I hope) is a very creative concept for utilizing a wizard's powers in mind, and I want to make sure as a tradeoff that nothing I do breaks the letter of your world's laws of eldritch physics.

Last edited by AProcrastinatingWriter on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:46 pm

Alright, meet Bellator Rabiosum, the Lokira! Weaponmaster build and made of crazy besides. And yes I intend on taking the Staff of the Stars later on, but that's later. Perhaps when they're closer to this side of sane.
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:57 pm

It's ok if I just post the PMs I hope.

Marona wrote:
I don't have a name for this race as I'm pretty bad with them. I can come up with one if you really want but I thought you might want to handle it yourself to have it be in keeping with your sense of things.

My idea is that they're a race of mutants (for what they are anyway). They're spawn of spawn of other spawn of creatures created by the Brood Mother. The reason they're mutants is that they're born without the infection of the Blight. Maybe this is just random or maybe they're resistant or wholly immune? There aren't enough of them to have any real culture as they're just born in clutches of 4-20 at a time somewhat randomly in time and location (and perhaps even random in which kinds of monsters they are spawned from). They tend to be either very much a pack with their other clutch-mates or incredibly independent by the time they reach their adult stage. In their larval stage (birth to 6 years) other monsters sense them as monsters and leave them alone. In their juvenile stage (6-12) this wanes and they take on a more humanoid appearance (though they scuttle around on all four limbs). In their adult stage (13 and older) other monsters no longer sense them as monsters and instead as humans and other races. In the adult stage they walk upright like a human.

As adults their appearance is different from a human as follows: their head is covered in chitin is mask like and almost featureless aside from their insect mandible-like mouths (that close up to only leave faint lines in the "mask"), their four almond shaped single color eyes (a pair where humans normally have eyes and another right above those), they still however have hair but, they also sometimes have a few small spikes crowning their heads, they have small holes instead of ears and they use these to detect scents as well as sounds. They have insect-like wings (various types such as moth, wasp, dragonfly, beetle, etc.) on their backs and they have chitin around the base of the wings that also runs down their back. They have chitin on the out facing sides of their arms, though not their hands, though the fingers end is hard points compared to a human's. Their legs also have chitinous plates from the knees down and their feet are clawed with only three digits. They have a black devil-like tail that has a rounded end when closed. It's actually hollow and has two tubes inside. One which they use to make webbing and another to spray acid.

Even though I said they don't have much culture, here is some ideas. They have names based on the color of their chitin or eyes or the shape of their horns or such other clearly distinguishing physical feature coupled with a name that is based on their job in the pack or personal skillset. As such this second name is sometimes changed (the first one too if the feature used no longer is true). The other bit is that they pretty much have to distance themselves from monsters when they hit the juvenile stage and when they hit the adult stage they're basically living on the run or in hiding if they're deep in monster dominated areas. They also make clicking and chirping noises to express themselves instead of human grunts and such sometimes, though they can make the later as well.

Here's my idea for their GE setup: Expert Skill (2), Clever Tail (1), Acidborn (1), It's Almost Like Flying (1), Scent Tracker (1), Webspinner (2).

There might be other types that instead of having wings might have extra (spider?) limbs or such. Or maybe some of them have wings and some have extra limbs.
Dusk Raven wrote:Interesting... you seem to have come up with a fair bit of lore for them. I only have a few concerns:

They may or not be treated as monsters by humans and the other non-blighted races, though this likely varies from tribe to tribe. Depending on the party setup, I'll likely place the group near a tolerant tribe anyways, but still.

More urgently, my main concern is their ability to survive against the monsters of the Blight... I don't doubt some would, but there may not be enough of them even for what little culture you've given them, and they may have to seek refuge amongst the more tolerant tribes.

Otherwise, though, it seems like a promising concept. I dub them the Blightscorned. I'll be interested to see what sort of character concept you end up creating... which will influence my final decision, but for now I'd say the race works... to an extent. Their main problem will be becoming numerous enough to become considered a race rather than a mutation. A worthy goal for your character...
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:17 am

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Okay, that's actually fair. Is coming up with the "right kinds of materials" an exercise in roleplaying on my part, or are there specific things I should keep on me roleplay-wise if I'm gonna be doing (pretty mild) wizardry?

EDIT: Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I have(what I hope) is a very creative concept for utilizing a wizard's powers in mind, and I want to make sure as a tradeoff that nothing I do breaks the letter of your world's laws of eldritch physics.
Well, "right kinds of materials" is actually kinda loose. Drawing in sand works (but it's kinda tricky because you have to be careful with intersecting lines because when you cross a line it builds up a wall of sand on either side and that won't do and ugh), as does using certain paints on stone. Carving in wax works too.

Caden2112 wrote:Alright, meet Bellator Rabiosum, the Lokira! Weaponmaster build and made of crazy besides. And yes I intend on taking the Staff of the Stars later on, but that's later. Perhaps when they're closer to this side of sane.
Looking good! I do have to know where you got that picture from, though... anyway, this is going to shape up to be quite an interesting band of heroes.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:13 am

Ok here's Ghost Tracker. I hope she meets your approval Dusk Raven. I'm not just saying that because I spent about an hour and a half looking at insect wings.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to say I haven't done the combat stuff yet.
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:21 am

Dusk Raven wrote:Looking good! I do have to know where you got that picture from, though... anyway, this is going to shape up to be quite an interesting band of heroes.
Shamelessly ripped from the Mabinogi World Wiki. You can find it here or, if you prefer darker colors, there's the one in black.

...In all fairness, Mabinogi has amazing artwork for NPC portraits.
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:47 am

It's like the Society for Creative Anachronism in reverse!

Meet your new best friend, Aparix the wizard/pickpocket Lokira!

...I understand that having a relatively advanced weapon like that show up suddenly in the prequel of your lore kind of sets things up to be...strange later on, so I understand (and expect) that, should my little criminal survive until the end of this game, he'll then be killed off unceremoniously and take the secret of his invention to his grave.

That's the way you gotta play it, man
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:03 am

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:It's like the Society for Creative Anachronism in reverse!

Meet your new best friend, Aparix the wizard/pickpocket Lokira!

...I understand that having a relatively advanced weapon like that show up suddenly in the prequel of your lore kind of sets things up to be...strange later on, so I understand (and expect) that, should my little criminal survive until the end of this game, he'll then be killed off unceremoniously and take the secret of his invention to his grave.

That's the way you gotta play it, man
That's... pretty ingenious, actually. I like it. I've heard of alchemical firearms, but I've never come across this sort of magical projectile-thrower. Brilliant!

Meanwhile, this group is getting big, faster than I thought it would. I might be able to get an old friend of mine to join the forum and so I'll save a spot for her, but I hope I don't start having to turn away people. Of course, such people will have another thread to go to.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:54 am

I finished the combat setup and added some more details to her bio.
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Lapis-Lazily Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:22 am

I have added some notes on Zakhar's personality, appearance, and weapon in the Miscellaneous Character Notes section of his sheet.
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily
Overworked Designer
Overworked Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Re: Zakhar; Nice! Always good to get flavor fleshed out a bit.

Re: Ghost Tracker; You don't have to, Marona, by any means, but I just wanted to remind you that the option is open to rename and reflavor your utility and combat talents as much as you want, so long as you leave the ways in which they work exactly the same. It's a great way to add that little extra something to your character's personality!
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Oh ok. I might do that then.

Also, apparently I forgot to give her hair and horns. That's fixed now though.
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next