Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria [OOC]

+9
Deathstorm50
tygerburningbright
Whiteeyes
deonte9109
Fury of the Tempest
Lapis-Lazily
mjh6
Colter Bolt
ZamuelNow
13 posters

Page 1 of 24 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 24  Next

Go down

HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria [OOC] Empty HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria [OOC]

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:13 pm

A long time ago...

On the outskirts of Equestria, evil forces amassed against the kingdom.  Led by the dark lord of darkness, Tirek, they waged an ongoing campaign of violence against the ponies.  Seemingly unstoppable, many thought all hope was lost.  That was, until a mysterious robotic savior named Horsetron suddenly challenged the forces of evil.  Turning the tides of battle, he defeated Tirek in a triumphant showdown of good versus evil.  However, Tirek cursed Horsetron with his last dying breath, causing the champion to be split into five parts scattered across the kingdom.

Many years have passed and Equestria has been at peace.  Unfortunately, the forces of evil slowly scheme to strike out when least expected.  As fortune would have it, five intrepid adventures have rediscovered the parts of the mighty champion.  This is the story of how they save the kingdom.  The story of how our heroes join forces to form...

HORSETRON
Defender of Equestria

[/petercullenvoice]

This popped in my head out of nowhere but I knew I absolutely had to run it.  While Voltron is the most obvious inspiration for this due to having the most experience with it and the US form of Power Rangers, any combination of giant robots and super sentai may possibly be in play.  With ponies.  This is a campaign that may sometimes come off campy but its heart is in the right place.  Slightly self aware but opting not to be openly snarky.  You're playing in a campaign where ponies pilot robot horses that combine to form a giant horse (that's still a quadruped).  

The five members of the team would represent the concept of a Five Man Band.  Definitions fluctuate but I'll elaborate on how I view it for the campaign in a bit.  

Campaign thread

Last edited by ZamuelNow on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:54 am; edited 3 times in total
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria [OOC] Empty Re: HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria [OOC]

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:14 pm

Player Build Structure:

Personal GM Quirks and General House Rules

Our Heroes:

Players are currently: Level 3

Last edited by ZamuelNow on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:16 pm; edited 7 times in total
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria [OOC] Empty Re: HORSETRON: Defender of Equestria [OOC]

Post  Colter Bolt Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:20 pm

Well, this has got my interest. I'll make a character sheet in a litle bit.
Colter Bolt
Colter Bolt
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:44 pm

This sounds like fun! Quick question,though, will all the fighting be done in the giant robots? I figure I should know that before putting together a character sheet.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:53 pm

Nope. Separating you from your robot would be less fun if you were totally screwed. I'm contemplating the robots be a conjured weapon/form since those are contained playstyles but not sure. Would rather not but just might have them be separate combat builds.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Lapis-Lazily Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:23 am

I will not be opting to join this, but I just wanted to pop in and say that this is the greatest idea ever and you are amazing.
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily
Overworked Designer
Overworked Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:31 pm

I'm joining! Through I have to admit, I'm saddened to see Focused Evolution banned. Why's that?

Well, either way. Here is The Leader. Apperance and background pending.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  deonte9109 Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:10 pm

I might join if I could be the 6th ranger aka the Green Ranger
deonte9109
deonte9109
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:12 pm

That a little unfair in asking deon.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  deonte9109 Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:42 pm

Not necessarily. Im just saying in the possible off chance he is looking for an extra player I would join. If not then no harm no foul.
deonte9109
deonte9109
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:14 pm

deonte9109 wrote:I might join if I could be the 6th ranger aka the Green Ranger
Highly unlikely.  It's a concept that can work in this genre if done well but it really needs to be handled properly.  I'd like to get the team itself built up and fully developed.  In fact, why not submit for the main team?

Fury of the Tempest wrote:I'm joining! Through I have to admit, I'm saddened to see Focused Evolution banned. Why's that?
Short answer: I simply dislike it in its current form.
Long answer: The current form feels a bit too overtly min-maxy.  It's something I might allow in incredibly specialized cases like an elementalist and even then I'd oddly be more comfortable with a Companion with it if the companion were a full character that could be killed.  The other reason is that unlike other campaigns I'm running, I'd like to lean a little bit more on the concept of each player's Element/Virtue.  Seems like it would fit in line with some parts of the genre.

As far as Leader submissions, all have the potential to be Lancers to another Leader pending on who all enters.  Also, can't see your build Fury but I'd much rather wait until the background and such is done anyway.

Most characters from the show won't directly appear in the campaign.  Some side characters might show up in differing roles and I may pull characters from other parts of the franchise since I'm pretty open about being a G1 fan.    Mane 6 won't exist and neither will Celestia and Luna.  The latter two are interesting since that means the throne is open.  I may fill it with an NPC but it's also possible for a player with Sweet and Elite to be the overruling prince/princess of Equestria.  It's a double edge sword in some ways but it is an option.

I've come to the decision that for the combat side of things, the character and their mech will have the same combat builds but will be flavored differently.  Singular characters versus mechs will not be treated as combat but rather as skill checks.  Allows the ability to sidestep some of the scaling issues (a mech shoots/smashes you...you just sorta die) while on the other hand others still give you breathing room for heroism like dodging out the way, slashing a wire, or planting a tracer so the team can follow the enemy to their secret base.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:18 pm

Added in permission... so, can you have a look anyway? I know you want to have his apperance/background done, but he's a completely new, 100% original character. So... its going to take a while.

That, and getting Pony Creator pictures into those docs is a bitch

Apart from that through, the rest of the post/decisions just makes me even more eager to RP it!
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Ok, I've come up with the first draft for a potential Big Pony, but I guess I should wait to post it until you ask.

Also, one more question, should we pick out weapons?
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:01 pm

@mjh6: As far as weapons, would your character carry a weapon? That's a type of flavor I'd like to leave individualized. An overt guard or martial artist probably would while a medic or diplomat may not. Go ahead and post your build since comments can be made on it.

@Fury: Odd, I tend to not have difficulty getting Pony Creator pictures in. I usually use the export option to save a PNG to my hard drive then I just Insert -> Image using the drive location.

I'm going to first make an aside before directly commenting on the build. I like the design of the builds in the official documents since they feel like they fit the concepts without being purely numeric. There's seemingly lesser valued options such as weather crafting that I think have a fair bit of worth but tend to be removed from many builds. The way I see it, GE should be used to make races while the utilities should be used to make individuals. It's why Pick of the Litter and Highborn are actually among my favorite additions to the system. I think "worth" may be an interesting thing to think about since I think the way to improve some abilities is to put them through more use. I don't think players should make "underpowered" builds on purpose but rather they should try to work out how to improve things with the GM. I guess that sorta explains where I'm coming from on overall build thoughts. I actually build NPCs with most of the same restrictions as player characters.

For the character submission, I'll note you have nine combat talents without Dangerously Talented. However, I do see a support pattern. On the utility side, I see it's designed as an all rounder with specialties in vision and support abilities. I probably should have simply mentioned no Magic Drains as opposed to just singling out Focused Evolution due to the previous comment about Elements. Empathetic is weird in that it's one of those things where I want to love it but the massive bonus makes me give it dirty looks. I think I'm willing to tolerate it because of all sorts of fun things it allows as a GM if someone is naturally "always on" in sensing emotion. As a level 2 you technically have one more utility though that goes to your mech. I might slightly rethink that setup.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:26 pm

I should of figured that the Magic Drain would be disliked as well, I'll remove it...

What, what's this about being level 2?

Anyway, thanks for pointing out that mistake, I needed to remove Royal Command. As fun as it is, I don't really see it being used all that much. Admittedly, I have no idea how I'll actually play out this build, as its meant to be focused solely on supporting and healing my allies, as you said. So... I don't really have a combat build, I just know I'll be using the -1's and -2's a lot.

But honestly, you where SPOT on with my character. A supporter with a perception focus. The All-Rounder thing is something I've done before, with Storm Blade, but I'm taking it in an entirely new direction here. While Storm Blade is going to have abilities that make him even more flexible in possible tasks, Sky Wolf here is going to be focusing on being able to support others to the best of his abilities. Plus, while a 'tank' is a support in the sense it focuses on its allies more than the enemy, I've never played a character that has no potential for damage...

Its going to be a very, very interesting game.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:42 pm

The level 2 thing was a concession to give you an extra level and thus an extra utility talent since one goes to the mech. But I just had a "Scootaloo bumps her head on the lantern" moment. See, I'm overthinking this. All I need to do is basically give everyone a free Companion of sorts for the mech. I'll work out the exact specifics for them since they get more than a regular Companion does but that solves so many problems I was having. Against other mechs, they'd use their listed stats and a combat build mirroring the pilot. Against individuals...it get weird. But regular dudes aren't going to just punch out your mech.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Colter Bolt Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:49 pm

So are we working with level 1 or level 2 characters, because I'm almost finished with mine.
Colter Bolt
Colter Bolt
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:54 pm

Level 1 but characters will get the mech as a freebie companion/secondary build.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:38 am

Okay, so here is my first try, with a possible Big Pony unicorn. Still need to ad the background, but right now I just would like his build examined, since I don't have a lot of experience making characters.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Lapis-Lazily Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:01 am

You know what, I can't resist. I think I will build a character. What roles are unoccupied? I'd like to be the smart one, if at all possible.
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily
Overworked Designer
Overworked Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Colter Bolt Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:03 am

Here's my application for the Smart One. I'll probably work on it some more later.

Edit: Oh... wow...
Colter Bolt
Colter Bolt
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:14 am

Lapis-Lazily wrote:You know what, I can't resist. I think I will build a character. What roles are unoccupied? I'd like to be the smart one, if at all possible.
It's actually not on a first up basis. I need to figure out an official deadline for submissions, though. Plus, there's possibility for roles to shift.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Whiteeyes Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:19 am

Expressing interest as Comic Relief/Heart character. Cause I don't think we need to worry about having only one female character in a Pony Tales game.
Whiteeyes
Whiteeyes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:28 pm

Here's the stat setup for your mechs:

HorseMech Structure:

Flavored right, there is reason to put attribute points in places other than just Brawn for your mech.  Perhaps the onboard magitech computer allows you to make better History checks?  Any number of concepts may work.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:24 pm

So, would the mech computer be able to talk? Because I think that would be neat.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 24 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 24  Next