Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Brand New System - Official Announcement

+17
Paper Shadow
Fury of the Tempest
mjh6
Crystalite
Quietkal
tygerburningbright
Pingcode
AProcrastinatingWriter
ZamuelNow
A1C Bronymous
Xel Unknown
Philadelphus
Lapis-Lazily
Brony 7 of 9
Dusk Raven
Zarhon
Stairc -Dan Felder
21 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

A Brand New System - Official Announcement - Page 7 Empty Re: A Brand New System - Official Announcement

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:44 pm

Well, no system every can or every will be perfect.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

A Brand New System - Official Announcement - Page 7 Empty Re: A Brand New System - Official Announcement

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:48 pm

Yeah but no fire resistance though? I mean that was super basic, and probably the absolute only thing required.

Bringing up another point, about the tiered abilities and traits. While its all well and good for a board or skype game that takes a few weeks, PBP take actual YEARS. Most players in those games will never be able to experience the higher level stuff if its locked out from the beginning.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:51 pm

It is in beta might I remind you.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:53 pm

It is. Also, GMs control the leveling process and can choose both when players level up and at what level their games start at. If you feel the pace of leveling is too slow, that's entirely up to the GM.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:55 pm

Just pointing it out, I've never seen a level 10 destiny feature used on the forums since the game started.

And PT/LL was still in Beta, too.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:58 pm

Then you can talk to your GM about that. The GM has total control over the pace of the leveling. This way, you can customize the pacing for your gaming group's needs.

It's also worth noting that neither Wanderlust nor Living Legends was specifically designed for play-by-post. If it was, we'd have done things very differently (especially in combat).

As for fire resistance, this was the product of a ton of discussion (hours upon hours) among the design team. This solution was the most elegant way to handle the endless possibilities where Flavor might impact Gameplay.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:32 pm

I thought the elemental resistances vs. Flavoring was only an issue in combat? Outside of that "fire" seemed pretty cut and dry.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:34 pm

That was a major issue and it also caused a significant number of minor problems too. Since we wanted to avoid all the problems, both major and minor, that we could - making it a conversation with your GM was much smoother than providing a flawed solution to only some of the problems and *then* encouraging players to work it out with their GM anyway.

Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:38 pm

Rough draft attempt of a Google Docs version of a character sheet for Wanderlust: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EEu_pNlj5YC19Rpin118Uq9xfi3sBBGAz9mDzZrY8yM

Sort of a half step between the Word doc version in the player's guide and the one currently being used for LL.  Suggestions and critiques encouraged.

Bronymous wrote:Just pointing it out, I've never seen a level 10 destiny feature used on the forums since the game started.

And PT/LL was still in Beta, too.

I think a lot is the side effect of low player retention and some players being in half the campaigns on the forum...then disappearing or posting slowly so it holds everyone up.  The forum as a whole runs much slower than it did a year ago.  I'm running a pbp campaign elsewhere that's going fairly faster than the ones here.

Bronymous wrote:Well this is just some kind of new stuff, huh? Ability Tiers, Defenses (which could just be skills anyway), different Nat20/Nat1 rules (which honestly probably makes no difference anyway).

Off the bat I know at least two of my characters that I can't in any way play in this system, so that's a bit of a negative. Maybe if the game started at level 10. Assuming level 10 is still max level.

I think this showcases the benefits of the split between non combat and combat.  I like a lot of things about the current combat system but will admit it is flawed.  Using the new combat but the old abilities is fully viable.  The two systems really do have different goals which is good in some ways since they aren't cannibalizing each other. For most of my needs, I'll be more content with the old abilities though I think the revised leveling guide I proposed for it is better, barring the fact that I have multiple campaigns in progress.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:42 pm

You can also import old abilities rather easily into the new system if you like. The old system was just all-novice-tier, so just halve the cost of an ability to create an exalted tier version. Divide the cost in the old system by 3 to create a legendary tier version.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:27 pm

How does the supernova feature's passive operate with combat powers that specify different target creatures?

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:39 pm

Can you post it for reference?
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:53 pm

Feature for reference:

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:44 pm

It seems pretty straightforward. What exactly are you wondering?
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:02 pm

Mostly wondering if the different target creatures specification on multi-target powers affected the nova features passive. Which one took priority if a player was using them with the nova feature.

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:20 pm

The Nova feature specifically says that you can target the same creature multiple times with burst powers. It can be a bit confusing, but that's why it uses an example which specifically references a power that normally requires targeting different creatures.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:36 pm

So... Something else about nova: Does the power of the effects that it do in mutable additive fashion to equal ONE more powerful attack that equals Z total or does do X powers with a number Y value??? (z = x * y by the way, x is the number of targets & y is the power value the talent gives the burst that is doing a type of heal or harm...)
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:39 pm

You roll once and then apply that roll repeatedly. It's just like using an AoE move, except that your multiple targets are the same person.

I think if I translate that it means you deal X*Y damage.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:42 pm

I have absolutely no idea what that question means Xel.

If a power has the text, "Deal 1d10 damage to up to 3 different target creatures", nova would let you target 1 creature 3 times instead. It could also let you target a creature twice and another creature just once. You still only roll the d10 once though, as is normal for burst powers, and apply the result to all the targets.

So, if you rolled a 5, normally you'd deal 5 damage to 3 different creatures. Instead, Nova could let you deal 15 damage to one creature, or 10 to one creature and 5 to another creature.

EDIT - Sunbeam Ninja
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:57 pm

I'm mostly just trying to figure out if the attack of lets say you can do 3 damage to 10 targets, but instead try to attack something with 2 resistance. But with nova do you turn it into 10 total damage (meaning the attack was 10 attacks of 3 damage effectively) or does it turn into 28 damage total (meaning it was one superattack's worth of damage)?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:14 pm

The damage happens simultaneously, so it should overwhelm the resistance.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:34 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:The damage happens simultaneously, so it should overwhelm the resistance.
...Meaning it'd be what? 30 damage or 28 damage?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:36 pm

The resistance applies only once to the full damage amount.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:48 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:The resistance applies only once to the full damage amount.
Which in the damage scenario I've given... Is 28 total... RIGHT? Please answer me clearly for once... You seem to just enjoying avoiding answering my questions right out by some type of loophole. Or just don't realize how annoying it is getting to me... One of those two. Can't tell for sure myself. I want hard facts so I can know for sure what Nova is doing to my AoE damage is all! Why you being so hard in giving clear answers Dan, why!?!?! (sorry for the paranoia, but your responses seem to be getting to feed such side of myself at this point) I have one character with a combat build that will be using Nova so clear cut answers help me know what I can do all the better. Also... The same would happen for Vul too right? Or would the 10 attacks of damage have to deal with being boosted up 10 damage or just 1 damage... Just picture it had 1 vul as well as 2 resist samd 10 attacks at 3 damage. So that new question is a totaling of what, I think and assume would be like 29 total damage done?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:56 pm

Dan always forgets to restate his answer in the form of your original question, Xel.

Literally all it takes to politely sort out this situation is to take the one logical step in between his answer and the yes/no answer your looking for, and then ask for confirmation of that specific situation. It would certainly be better if Dan could develop the habit of taking that step instead, for the sake of clarity for everyone, but that's something he'll have to do on his own time.

Have you really not learned how to talk with Dan in these situations yet? I swear this happened before, specifically to you, in this very thread. Actually, I think it's happened to everyone in this thread, at some point or other.

You would do 28 damage.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next