Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Brand New System - Official Announcement

+17
Paper Shadow
Fury of the Tempest
mjh6
Crystalite
Quietkal
tygerburningbright
Pingcode
AProcrastinatingWriter
ZamuelNow
A1C Bronymous
Xel Unknown
Philadelphus
Lapis-Lazily
Brony 7 of 9
Dusk Raven
Zarhon
Stairc -Dan Felder
21 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

A Brand New System - Official Announcement - Page 4 Empty Re: A Brand New System - Official Announcement

Post  Fury of the Tempest Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:48 pm

Kinda hope you change the name through, as the thing about magic missile is that its flexible, allowing you to split the missiles per target... at least, from D&D, which is were its from if I'm not mistaken
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

A Brand New System - Official Announcement - Page 4 Empty Re: A Brand New System - Official Announcement

Post  Crystalite Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:56 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Spoiler number 2.

[-X] Magic Missiles - Minor Attack
Deal 1d4+1 damage to X target creatures.

Goooooooal! Yay!

I hope also that Crowd Control will still be a viable build option... Magic Missile + Throw The Gauntlet + Blast From The Past could be naaaaasty...
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:23 pm

Will the defeated/comatose state remain in the new system?
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:27 pm

For that matter, will Temp HP still exist? I mean, kinda the point of Temp HP was that you could go over your maximum, but that's superfluous with the new No Max HP rule...
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:29 pm

I think Temp HP will exist, as it doesn't stack, so its a cheaper heal
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:44 pm

ZamuelNow wrote:Will the defeated/comatose state remain in the new system?

Those states were essential before fatal damage to create danger to taking too much damage. Now that we have fatal damage, being either unconscious or dead should be enough of a division - but I wouldn't swear to it yet.

Dusk Raven wrote:For that matter, will Temp HP still exist? I mean, kinda the point of Temp HP was that you could go over your maximum, but that's superfluous with the new No Max HP rule...

Currently we're trying the core designs without temporary HP for exactly that reason. While it is indeed a less-effective heal, our +4 costing system instead of the old +3 has given us a lot of extra design space as it is. If we end up needing it though, we'll put it back in.

Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:03 pm

I guess we'll just have to wait and see... are you going other the parts of the new system one by one? Like the skills first, and now the combat?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:15 pm

We're doing parallel development. We assign different advanced design, design and development tasks to various members of the team then we meet 4 times a week (and talk more on skype) to review eachothers' work.

For example, Lapis led the advanced design for destinies and combat talents while Philadelphus led the advanced design for abilities. Kindulas is currently leading design for combat talents after Lapis turned his advanced design work in and Lapis is now working on design for abilities with Philadelphus.

I'm working on systems design for everything, offering feedback on all projects and am leading design for the destinies (though Nehiel Mori is likely to help me substantially with this task).
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:36 pm

What's the difference between advance design and design?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:42 pm

Advance Design is basically outlining the content, figuring out what content we need to have and how it needs to work.

Advance Design is like outlining the events of your novel and design is writing the actual pages. Development is editing to make the novel read better, fix any grammatical mistakes and take it from a 3rd draft to a final draft.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:52 pm

Hmmm... that makes sense, that makes sense.

... I really shouldn't ask about the development, as it just keeps making me wanna take part in it, even through its probably way out of my league.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:04 pm

If you want to get better at design/development, I can't recommend enough how great it is to check out Mark Rosewater's free, "Drive to Work" podcast. If you know and like Magic at least. It's fun and gives you some fantastic information from one of the most successful game designers alive. His articles are also fantastic if you prefer to read.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:15 pm

Thing is, I don't think I'm that interested on it big scale. I'm more interested in animals and writing... but I just wanna help with this.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:17 pm

We'll be happy to get everyone's feedback during playtests and so on.

Being on the core team takes ridiculous amounts of time, at least 20 hours a week with sharp deadlines. It's like a part time job.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:45 pm

Yeah, I'll guess its best I wait for the playtesting.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Thought I'd share a new talent set we worked out today. Hasn't been tested yet, but I have high hopes it will make it through development.

As always with early design, the names and phrasing are often very weak. It's not till Development that the phrasing gets fixed and it's not till Creative that things get good names. You'll have to humor us if you see things called, "smack" and such for now.

Monk Draft:

These talents are also perfect for the comb-chain kills associated with assassins and the build-your-own-spell concept associated with quite a few ideas. We're really looking forward to trying it out.

You also might see some keywords you don't recognize. I can't confirm anything about them for now, as the details (if they'll be included at all). Consider them a teaser.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:20 pm

Interesting... going from Opener->Combo-> Finisher, basically three moves all at once. Guard Break is pretty insane for a +3 power through. No resistance and I'm guessing armour is similar? Sure its only until the end of the turn, but damn, that is VERY strong.

Go Guard Break>Stunning Fist>Flurry of Blows, and you got +0 move that is guarenteed to do 2d6+1 damage, and apply 3 Weakness. That's... a lot
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:22 pm

Actually, it fits like a glove into our new math and DM stuff. Glad you think it looks interesting. I'm looking forward to building an assassin that uses these powers.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:27 pm

I have to agree. My previous assassin always had the problem of taking sometime to get the power down, but this? This would let you lay down some smack down, right of the bat.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:41 pm

I wont deny having such a system is kinda interesting to add to the combat... And likely to be quite fun... But who knows if it'll work as something "balanced".
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:46 am

[+4] Prayer - Standard Utility (Healing)
The next time you use a healing power, you gain 2 life.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:20 am

That would make a good opener for the support combo's.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:43 am

On the subject of support combos - I think the current system is lacking 'offensive healer/support' abilities.

Most of them, particularly the high-costing abilities, are either pure healer duty (miracle, crescendo, and such), or pure offense. There aren't any many hybrids of support+offense (outside of the few 1d8 boosters) that allow for a mix of the two.

The traits that buff healers also pretty much discourage any offense (due to damage penalties, and such), or are purely in the form of x/day heals, so the healers are shoehorned to commit to non-damage, or to go without heal-improvements, to be a threat in combat.

Regarding the removal of 'max hp' - will there still be a 'hp minimum' (or even hp reductions/drawbacks) for the players (or some sort of average/example/unmodified value), and how will the change in hp be reflected upon the healing ability values (current system is balanced around 30hp)?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:08 pm

I know that was start each battle at around 30hp still...

And yes, I agree. There isn't much possibility to have a combat medic in the current system... I hope that's one of the things addressed.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:04 am

We plan to make playing good healers less restrictive when it comes to combat.

As for the numbers... Yeah... Things are going to be weird. I'm already getting used to it but it's... Weird.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next