Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discordian Promise (OOC)

+4
Crystalite
Elacular
Zarhon
mjh6
8 posters

Page 1 of 29 1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 29  Next

Go down

Discordian Promise (OOC) Empty Discordian Promise (OOC)

Post  mjh6 Fri May 09, 2014 3:46 am

A giant zipper appears in the middle of the air, and opens.  A familiar head pops out

Why hello there, my little ponies. And everyone else too. I'm sure your families care about you very much.Now is the time to lend me your ears. Don't worry, I'll give them back at the end of my big impressive speech.

I know how hard it is for all of you to remember a time where you weren't under the wonderful, chaotic eye of Yours truly, Lord Discord Almighty. But as much as it must pain you to think of it, there was a time where the land was ruled by Harmony and Order, instead of Discord and Chaos. Where there was one country, rather than six realms all existing on the same plane, yet kept completely separate by my power. There was a time when you could go to bed, and when you would wake up, you would still be in a bed. Weird, right?

Back then, there existed special artifacts called the Elements of Harmony, which were the only things that could contain my might. I had them taken and destroyed, of course, but the funny thing was, ponies and other creatures kept remaking them, and actually trying to defy me. And while there is a certain thrill of thwarting those plans, it got kind of tiring coming up with new ways to punish them. Hence, separating you all into different realms, one for each Element, and all the inhabitants of each would only have the ability to use that Element. No bonding between individuals, no Elements of Harmony. Simple, right?

But even as perfect an arrangement as this can get tiresome. So I came up with a new plan. I hide the Elements in an arena of my making and give you a chance to gather all of them, and defeat me.

What happens if you lose, though? Well, only one Element Bearer gets to come back. But one will always come back. That is my Promise to all of you. Any questions? No? Well then let the games begin!

Well, in case you missed it, this is Discord's Promise. Original premise created by Crystalite, inspired by an older game on this site, and ruthlessly stolen by me. If Discord ran the Hunger Games, basically.

Now first, a few stipulations:
-Obviously, I'm looking for six players, one for each Element. The Elements will work slightly differently, in a way that will be explained when the game starts, but it won't be too drastic a change
-Abilities only, Old Laughter is banned, on the grounds that Discord is going to let just anyone mess with his glorious chaos.
-As far as races go, humans are the only hard and fast ban.
-This game will not switch over to the new system once it comes out. This has nothing to do with any dislike for what we've seen, it's just not what this game is going to run in.
-Also of note is that I plan to borrow from the Wild Worlds and Code Blue expansions created by Zarhon and Pingcode, in terms of obstacles,so reading those documents might help.
- If you wish to use Sunbeam's Criticals,you may.

Elements of Harmony:

Questions, concerns? Post here or pm me and I'll do my best to address them.

Last edited by mjh6 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:49 am; edited 12 times in total
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Discordian Promise (OOC) Empty Re: Discordian Promise (OOC)

Post  Zarhon Fri May 09, 2014 7:47 am

I assume this is a PbP game?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri May 09, 2014 8:08 am

Oh, yes. Sorry, I forgot to mention that.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri May 09, 2014 8:10 am

Hmmm...you've piqued my curiosity. I'd like to have some more information about the world that we're inhabiting before I give a hard yes or no, particularly how the actual Discord games function. I have a few ideas for characters, and I wanna see if any of them works decently enough.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri May 09, 2014 8:29 am

Setting details, that's a bit hard to describe, considering the concept, but here goes.

Almost the entire game will take place within the special arena created by Discord. Since the different areas are created by, well, Discord, they can be subject to rather drastic change. Things that are definite however:

-There will be different sections themed around different Elements.
-There will be NPCs to interact with other than Discord.
-The Elements, are in fact inside the arena, Discord isn't lying about that.
-Something I forgot to mention, the games you would be participating in aren't the first games Discord has thrown. It's actually closer to the 60th game. Which also means that you know he's telling the truth about one participant always surviving (although most survivors rarely give any details about what to expect.

Any specific questions you have about the setting? If they aren't too spoilery I'll do my best to answer.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri May 09, 2014 8:42 am

Sorry, that was worded badly. By setting I wasn't referring to physical location. I was talking about the situation of the world as a whole. Is it similar to the hunger games in that two tributes are taken from each district? Do the different districts have different jobs? Are people of that element always born into that district? Or am I just reading this entire thing incorrectly. I apologize if I am, I'm a bit sleep deprived.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri May 09, 2014 8:53 am

No problem. Its late here too. To answer your questions:
-Only one pony from each district.
-No not really, each district is self sustaining.
-For the most part, discord precautions have ensured that only ponies (and non-ponies) of the proper element are born in each district. The few that slip through the cracks are i transported to their proper district as soon as possible with their memories erased, to ensure they can't put together a team, as well as minimizing information available between districts.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri May 09, 2014 8:58 am

Alright. In that case, I'm going to see if I can put a character together. It should be done in the next 24 hours, 48 if things go sideways.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri May 09, 2014 11:59 am

Alright. My character is complete in all but backstory, which I'll write after a nap. Meet Midas Touch.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri May 09, 2014 1:48 pm

Okay, I read through the sheet, and I think I can work with this. Nice job!

Also, for anyone else wanting to make sheets, we now have an Element of Generosity. If someone else want that Element too, you'll have to fight for it  Razz
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Fri May 09, 2014 6:57 pm

If I don't get a spot, I will find you and kill you.

I'll have a sheet up tomorrow; until then, I want to be Honesty (I havn't done an Honest character in a while, should be fun!)
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri May 09, 2014 7:20 pm

Glad to have you! And I don't know what kind of person I'd be to not let the person who came up with the idea join. A big jerk, I guess.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Sat May 10, 2014 1:22 pm

Meet Skitterbuzz!

I still need to type up the backstory (Will do so here directly) and reflavor the combat build (Right after that.)

A note I would like to make about the RP in this setting:

Nobody has ever met anyone that wasn't the same Element as they were. Therefore, many of the values of one Element would seem quite alien to another; Midas, for instance, might not understand Skitterbuzz's insistence on truthfulness. Similarly, Skitter might be astounded at Midas's willingness to share things without any fuss. Both will be astonished at Loyalty's ability to persist to the end for friends, Laughter's undying optimism, and Kindness's willingness to give someone a chance.

Interestingly, the Realm of Magic (It feels better to call them Realms rather than Districts for some reason) is either the best off or worst off overall because of this. On one hand, their strength lies in drawing from the strength of others, making them natural leaders. This makes it easier for them to band together in times of need. On the other hand, they don't get to see those strengths outside their own Element; which means much of that would go to waste. This means when they do band together, they don't have enough of the right virtues of the other Elements to accomplish much.

Because they are natural leaders, they would also (ironically) have a difficult time choosing or taking leadership; because everyone (Lacking Kindness's humility or Honesty's self-appraisal) would think they should be the leader, causing fights to break out. The strongest, rather than necessarily the best leader, would rule with an iron hoof; the smaller ones would learn to be afraid to try and pick up the leader's role. In the Arena, this means the Magic pony either hangs back and follows out of fear, dooming the party because there is no good bond between their strengths; or, they take it up and proceed to boss everyone around/or make poor decisions, causing them to turn against him.

Of course, none of us would quite realize all of that in-character, having never witnessed the Games, which means nobody really gets to learn from previous teams' mistakes. Hopefully our party is the exception...
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sat May 10, 2014 2:06 pm

Hey, whose the PH here?  Wink 

I actually wanted to call them Realms earlier, but was too glued to the original HG terminology. But really, Realms is more appropriate, so Realms they shall be!

Looks good so far. But of course you'd have to leave the backstory off on a cliffhanger like that.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Sun May 11, 2014 12:14 pm

I would, wouldn't I? :art:

Muat apologize over that. Especially as making you agonise over it doesn't really add anything... If I can't get it on the sheet today, I'll go ahead and post it here. (I have to get to work right now...)
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sun May 11, 2014 12:20 pm

It's no big deal.
I would like you to fill out you attribute as quickly as possible, since they're kind of important.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Sun May 11, 2014 5:08 pm

Oh! I did forget those Me damn it, TwiCheerilee Derp

I'm off to the library right now. So here pretty soon.

EDIT: I stand corrected. They aren't open on Sundays! You WHAT!?
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Sun May 11, 2014 11:06 pm

I love double posts. :maud: Here is Skitter's lengthy backstory.

Backstory:

If this is too dark, I can modify.
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Colter Bolt Sun May 11, 2014 11:38 pm

Well, I've been mulling it over since I first saw this topic, and I do believe I've talked myself into making a character sheet. It'll be a little while until I have anything post-worthy, however.
Colter Bolt
Colter Bolt
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sun May 11, 2014 11:41 pm

Crystalite, that backstory is completely twisted, and completely approved  Dan vs Smiles 

Colter: No problem. Take your time. Right now, Loyalty, Laughter, Kindness and Magic are free.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sun May 11, 2014 11:45 pm

Damn, Crys. Although to be fair, I don't think it's too much darker than the untold four years of mine. To be fair though, my grimmeter's always been kinda out of whack.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Mon May 12, 2014 1:09 am

Really? Would you mind PMing any of that to me, Elacular? How am I is Discord going to deal with Midas if he doesn't know about it?
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Mon May 12, 2014 5:34 pm

Added lengthy backstory to the character sheet. Also added Attributes (We have a Persuasion build with some Mechanics leanings as well) and reflavored combat talents. May be tweaking the overall build somewhat, haven't decided yet.
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Wed May 14, 2014 11:44 am

I'm adding a new request for submission: If your character has a deep dark secret of some sort that they're keeping from the others, I would prefer that you PM me the details, and gloss over it in the character background.

( Fluttershy voice) I mean, if that's okay with you.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCavalry Wed May 14, 2014 6:58 pm

After thinking more a bit, I've decided to try and toss my hat into the ring. I mentioned the idea I had to mjh through messages, but figure I ought to get it out here:

I'm in the process of putting a character together, at least as far as the background, personality and attributes are concerned. I probably won't get the sheet typed any sooner than the weekend, though.

As for my element of choice- an optimistic young pony, and bearer of the element of Magic.
TheCavalry
TheCavalry
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 29 1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 29  Next