Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Curse and the Treasure - Interest Thread

+3
Crystalite
A1C Bronymous
Dusk Raven
7 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Curse and the Treasure - Interest Thread Empty The Curse and the Treasure - Interest Thread

Post  Dusk Raven Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:15 am

Yes, I'm aware, I already have a campaign. Yes, I know people aren't interested in it. But rather than leave well enough alone, I have it in mind to produce another campaign, based on a dream I had, and gratuitous amounts of inspiration from Dark Souls II.

The premise: The Kingdom of Lashmir is a land fallen from glory into ruin. For two decades, it has suffered under the effects of a devastating curse, which slowly corrupts the inhabitants of the land, turning them into bloodthirsty lunatics. For two decades before that, the kingdom has suffered near-constant attacks, and four great invasions, from the mysterious beings of darkness known as Shades. Now, the kingdom lies in ruins. Its once-great monuments lie shattered, its people dead or going mad. It is a grim time for the survivors.

But there is hope - legends of a treasure, a mighty artifact which the good King Zeal once used to make the kingdom prosperous, and which can restore the glory of Lashmir once again, banishing the curse once and for all.

You, the players, are travelers from a nearby land, where the curse has slowly begun to creep. Perhaps your intentions are noble, seeking to rid the land of the curse and free the people of Lashmir from their despair. Perhaps it's more personal - you may know someone who has or who will succumb to the curse, and seek to free them from their fate. Perhaps YOU are even affected by the curse, and must find a cure or slowly lose your identity and become a madman. Regardless of your reasons, you have one task - to find the fabled treasure and end the curse.

So, does this sound like an interesting premise? Do I have any takers? Should I use Living Legends or Wanderlust? And, of course, should I use my pre-existing world or shall we build a new one?

EDIT: It does!

Our Heroes:
Draugdagnir, by Elacular
Eight, by mjh6
Horizon, by Bronymous
Nadir, by TheCavalry

Last edited by Dusk Raven on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

The Curse and the Treasure - Interest Thread Empty Re: The Curse and the Treasure - Interest Thread

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:37 am

I have absolutely no time to devote to this, but I'll play anyway. I don't know much about Dark Souls, only what I've seen in LPs, so whatever issues that might cause.

I would also vote Wanderlust, because I've been meaning to try it out.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

The Curse and the Treasure - Interest Thread Empty Re: The Curse and the Treasure - Interest Thread

Post  Crystalite Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:54 am

Color me interested. My vote is for Wanderlust, and I have a couple of questions:.

1. What is this "curse" and how does this affect us?

2. I'm inclined to assume, but just to be sure: this is NOT, in fact, a MLP campaign, correct?
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:42 am

A1C Bronymous wrote:I have absolutely no time to devote to this, but I'll play anyway. I don't know much about Dark Souls, only what I've seen in LPs, so whatever issues that might cause.

No experience with Dark Souls is necessary, and indeed it's even preferred if you don't have experience with it, so I can plagiarize with impunity surprise you guys.

Crystalite wrote:1. What is this "curse" and how does this affect us?

Well, as stated in the intro, it's a curse that affects Lashmir and the surrounding areas. It takes hold slowly, corrupting its victims in body and mind, turning them into murderous husks of their former selves. Anyone in the region can be affected, though one can spend years in the area and not be affected. As for how it affects the players, well, it may vary, hence why I posted a few suggestions.

2. I'm inclined to assume, but just to be sure: this is NOT, in fact, a MLP campaign, correct?

I tinkered with the idea of having it be a pony campaign (it would certainly make worldbuilding easier), but unless everyone wants to do a rather dark pony campaign, this will be taking place in a more typical fantasy setting.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:45 am

Well, I'm interested in this, but I have a few questions before I commit fully.

1. Within this fantasy setting, what sort of playable species are we working with? Is there nothing except humans, or are there other traditional fantasy races? And would someone be allowed to play as a fantasy race of their own design or from an unusual source?

2. Would you be willing to accept characters with horribly screwed up backstories?
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:54 am

Elacular wrote:2. Would you be willing to accept characters with horribly screwed up backstories?
Please say yes, that is my bread and butter.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:24 pm

Elacular wrote:1. Within this fantasy setting, what sort of playable species are we working with? Is there nothing except humans, or are there other traditional fantasy races? And would someone be allowed to play as a fantasy race of their own design or from an unusual source?

I'm still working on whether or not to use my Wanderverse setting (the details of which can be found in my Hordes of the Blight thread), or to design a setting from scratch. I'm perfectly willing to engage in collective worldbuilding, however. What do you have in mind for a race?

2. Would you be willing to accept characters with horribly screwed up backstories?

Hell yes.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:35 pm

Like I said in the idea thread, I think this sounds like fun. Especially if this uses Wanderlust, I built healer build for thee final prize that I wound up not using, and I'd like to try it out!

So would we need to go look up info on Dark Souls to understand what's going on?
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:36 pm

Awesome! And I was thinking of playing as a race from a webcomic called Digger. They're basically anthropomorphic hyenas with a society built around the physiologal and sociological ideals that creatures like hyenas with human like intellect would consider important.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:45 pm

Elacular wrote:Awesome! And I was thinking of playing as a race from a webcomic called Digger. They're basically anthropomorphic hyenas with a society built around the physiologal and sociological ideals that creatures like hyenas with human like intellect would consider important.

Oh gods, those are basically Gnolls! I love Gnolls! I've never yet succeeded in incorporating them into a setting of mine, however... this shall be the first!
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:51 pm

Excellent! I'll have some information and maybe a character sheet to you Asap.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:42 pm

Hmmm... well if custom races are possible...

Nah, Ima be a human. BUT, I think I'd like to port Horizon (Zilean's Revenge, Official OG of the PT forum) to Wanderlust for this. I hear tell that *someone* we know may or may not have put together a wanderlust DPS build for *some game* that is pretty damn impressive, and Ima steal it.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:40 pm

Alright. I've finished my character sheet. Meet Draugdagnir. I'll be sending more information on just how her intro situation came to be to the DM as soon as I can.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:03 pm

This is the current Abilities system sheet of the guy I'm porting over.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1coHGfw3rdPu2t9gxg2raijzO-oJ78xihpavz5kWEVz8/edit
I could post his backstory but I feel like it won't be too entirely relevant to this game, except as ancient history.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCavalry Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:38 pm

I might be interested, though I should warn that my level of knowledge of Dark Souls is impressive. In that it's impressive how little I know of the series, and therefore of what may or may not be appropriate for this setting and game.

If, after all that, you're still willing to have me... Then I'll try and get a character sheet up soon.
TheCavalry
TheCavalry
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:51 pm

TheCavalry wrote:I might be interested, though I should warn that my level of knowledge of Dark Souls is impressive. In that it's impressive how little I know of the series, and therefore of what may or may not be appropriate for this setting and game.

If, after all that, you're still willing to have me... Then I'll try and get a character sheet up soon.

As I mentioned, no knowledge is necessary or even expected, it's simply a notice of what kind of atmosphere to expect, for those who've played the series.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:59 am

Remember what I said about reusing the old combat I built. Yeah, that one wouldn't fit this character at all, so I made a new one. Oh, you didn't remember, and don't care? Well, here's Eight anyway. Backstory will come once I clear it with Dusk Raven.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:07 pm

mjh6 wrote:Remember what I said about reusing the old combat I built. Yeah, that one wouldn't fit this character at all, so I made a new one. Oh, you didn't remember, and don't care? Well, here's Eight anyway. Backstory will come once I clear it with Dusk Raven.

I confess I missed your first post in the thread, somehow, but rest assured, welcome to the team. What do you need to clear with me?
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:11 pm

I need to figure out if her backstory would fit into the setting. It involves gods, and she's kind of like a cleric. i'll PM you with the specifics.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:37 pm

Horizon has been ported. Level 1 Wanderlust is shameful.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Minor infodump to describe a bit of what you guys know.

Much of Lashmir now lies in ruins. Its fields lie fallow, its towns abandoned, its fortresses smashed. Wilderness has reclaimed much of the area, as the cursed populace fails to maintain it. The town of Miklev is one of the few remaining habitable areas, and the closest to the outside world. It is here where most travelers to Lashmir go to first, to gather supplies and prepare for the journey into the interior. Just beyond is the fortress of Shaka, once the mightiest of Lashmir’s fortresses, now abandoned except by cursed soldiers for twenty years. Further into the nation lies Lashmir Castle, once the capital of the great nation, now desolate and lonely. To the northern reaches of the nation is a C-shaped mountain range enclosing the Arkangalsk Desert, a land of ash and sand, where storms obscure the sun and no life breeds.

Any questions, things you think your characters would know before heading to Lashmir?
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:07 am

I think Eight would probably know (or at least be interested in) the status of the cursed people themselves.

Also, i don't think you picked out a special for yourself, brony
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:11 am

The status? You mean, like their condition? Well, those afflicted by the curse end up not needing to eat or drink, and don't die of old age. As a result, their population hasn't decreased over the years. They spend most of their time milling about, gathering with others of their kind around the old centers of civilization.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:13 am

mjh6 wrote:Also, i don't think you picked out a special for yourself, brony
Hey, look at that. Fixing...

Fixed.

Last edited by A1C Bronymous on Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:15 am

Well, Dagnir has an old map, but I doubt it'd give any more information than you just did.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next