Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Call of Colthulhu: Team One's Adventures

5 posters

Page 7 of 33 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20 ... 33  Next

Go down

Call of Colthulhu: Team One's Adventures - Page 7 Empty Re: Call of Colthulhu: Team One's Adventures

Post  Lyntermas Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:12 pm

"Ah, this is Flashpoint and Arcane Aurora. Skyline has appointed the three of us as volunteer guards for this case." Torque started walking over to Warfield's desk, pulling out his notebook. "We are investigating a student named Mirrored Clear, who majors in Magical History. We're trying to get more information about a history club she was part of. Apparently, they were focused on ancient civilizations and artifacts, and at one point they were trying to organize a trip up north past the Crystal Range. Would you happen to know who the other members are and what exactly they are studying?"
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Call of Colthulhu: Team One's Adventures - Page 7 Empty Re: Call of Colthulhu: Team One's Adventures

Post  AleneShazam Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:37 pm

Lyntermas wrote:"Ah, this is Flashpoint and Arcane Aurora. Skyline has appointed the three of us as volunteer guards for this case." Torque started walking over to Warfield's desk, pulling out his notebook. "We are investigating a student named Mirrored Clear, who majors in Magical History. We're trying to get more information about a history club she was part of. Apparently, they were focused on ancient civilizations and artifacts, and at one point they were trying to organize a trip up north past the Crystal Range. Would you happen to know who the other members are and what exactly they are studying?"
"Mm." Warfield glances at Flashpoint and Skyline. "I suppose. There's Deep Secret, she's studying geology and crystal geometry. Zanbar is a necromancer - perfectly legal, liscensed and all, Mirrored Clear - you know her, Copper Brick's another Magical History major, and Stone Circle, Alternative Magic."
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:57 am

"What does 'Alternative Magic' entail, specifically?"
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:10 am

A1C Bronymous wrote:"What does 'Alternative Magic' entail, specifically?"
"No idea in the slightest." Warfield shrugs. "Military history, not magic. Exotic stuff like Deer chi magic or something like that.."
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:00 am

Torque wrote the names down in his notebook. He had expected the names of the History club members to match up exactly with the names in the journal, but this wasn’t the case. One might suspect that looking into the History club was a dead end.

…If not for one clear connection. It was clear that Deep Secret, the geology major, was the one who Mirrored Clear had discussed the use of Avantine for her soul magic. This made the rest of the club potential suspects.

“I see. I have a few more questions, if you don't mind.

1. Do you know if there was a specific historical era or nation they were focused on?
2. Have you ever heard the names Streaker or Xenith before?
3. Do you have a picture of the club members we could use as reference?
4. Do you know where the club members could be found on campus?"
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:39 am

Lyntermas wrote:“I see. I have a few more questions, if you don't mind.

1. Do you know if there was a specific historical era or nation they were focused on?
2. Have you ever heard the names Streaker or Xenith before?
3. Do you have a picture of the club members we could use as reference?
4. Do you know where the club members could be found on campus?"

"They don't. It's generally always pre Celestial, but other than that they like to dabble around in all kinds of topics."
"No, doesn't ring a bell. Xenith... maybe? That's a zebra name, innit?"
"Not right now... gimme a sec." He rummages around a desk drawer and takes out a tattered old photograph with 5 ponies: One zebra, two unicorns, an earth pony and a pegasus. "The zebra's Zanbar, that blueish unicorn is Deep Secret, the black earth pony is Stone Circle, the pegasus' Copper Brick."
"Right now? I can't be sure, but you can look over their club meeting room if you want." He scribbles down a room number that should be easy to navigate to. "Might have better luck asking the students. They keep a better track of each other than I."
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:12 pm

"They're probably codenames or something." Flashpoint remarks, looking at the picture. "If they're getting into stuff they shouldn't be, I'm sure they wouldn't want their real names written down. Or they might just think its cool to have secret identities in their little club." With a pause, he continues with a non sequitor, "Is Military History a popular subject? Doesn't seem like something anyone here would focus on, not being specifically magic based."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:06 am

A1C Bronymous wrote:"They're probably codenames or something." Flashpoint remarks, looking at the picture. "If they're getting into stuff they shouldn't be, I'm sure they wouldn't want their real names written down. Or they might just think its cool to have secret identities in their little club."

"Well, I think it might be the latter more than the former, given that the names we found were in a private notebook Mirrored didn't expect anypony else to read. Deep Secret the geologist is clear enough, and I'm guessing that Xenith is either Zanbar's friend or his code name, given that the journal mentioned him in connection with necromancy."

AleneShazam wrote: He rummages around a desk drawer and takes out a tattered old photograph with 5 ponies.

Torque noticed the age and wear of the photo. "...This club must have been together for quite some time. Which brings up the question of whether one of them was always a bad seed, or if they found some lost thing that they couldn't resist researching..."

AleneShazam wrote: "No idea in the slightest." Warfield shrugs. "Military history, not magic. Exotic stuff like Deer chi magic or something like that.."

"...Mirrored Clear was studying that, and Dada (if only we had asked her back in her room). Is it simply a catch-all term for all non-pony magic? Aurora, have you heard the term before?" Torque tried to think back to his studies if he had heard of the classification.

Rolling Arcana for Alternative Magic...9(1d20) + 7 = 16
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:17 am

"Well, like he said, it can cover a lot of things. But in relation to what we're talking about? Let me think..." Aurora paused, eyes glancing around at...Nothing in particular, as if following some thread only she could see as she mulled the question over. There of course was the question of whether the 'legal' necromancer had decided to pursue more grisly pursuits, but-No, focus. One question at a time.

---

Arcana on Alternative Magics:
1d20 + 15 = 14+15 = 29
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:16 pm

A1C Bronymous wrote:"They're probably codenames or something." Flashpoint remarks, looking at the picture. "If they're getting into stuff they shouldn't be, I'm sure they wouldn't want their real names written down. Or they might just think its cool to have secret identities in their little club." With a pause, he continues with a non sequitor, "Is Military History a popular subject? Doesn't seem like something anyone here would focus on, not being specifically magic based."
"Unfortunately... no. But my expertise is broad enough that I can cover practical applications of magical theory in history." Warfield rolls his eyes. "Bloody magic users."
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:19 pm

Lyntermas wrote:"...Mirrored Clear was studying that, and Dada (if only we had asked her back in her room). Is it simply a catch-all term for all non-pony magic? Aurora, have you heard the term before?" Torque tried to think back to his studies if he had heard of the classification.

Rolling Arcana for Alternative Magic...9(1d20) + 7 = 16

Caden2112"Well, like he said, it can cover a lot of things. But in relation to what we're talking about? Let me think..." Aurora paused, eyes glancing around at...Nothing in particular, as if following some thread only she could see as she mulled the question over. There of course was the question of whether the 'legal' necromancer had decided to pursue more grisly pursuits, but-No, focus. One question at a time.

---

Arcana on Alternative Magics:
1d20 + 15 = 14+15 = 29

Torque *might* have, but he can't be too sure behind the wall of magic classifications he's had to memorise as a scholar. Aurora, meanwhile, is pretty sure that Alternative Magics is specifically rare, little heard magic that is taught by foreign teachers who are practitioners of that magic. Most of the time these magics aren't quite as effective or efficient as unicorn magic, but they're studied for the diversity and cultural significance.

Ponies who study alternative magics often don't become practitioners themselves, instead opting to be historians or cultural experts.
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:27 am

AleneShazam wrote:"Unfortunately... no. But my expertise is broad enough that I can cover practical applications of magical theory in history." Warfield rolls his eyes. "Bloody magic users."

"...Actually, there is something that's been bothering me that you might be able to help us with. Aurora, may I borrow the journal for a moment?" Taking the notebook, Torque flipped through it until he found the "gibberish" and goat sketch, then passed it to Warfield. "This text and sketch may be part of some ancient history Mirrored Clear and her club found. Would you happen to know where (or, rather, when) it's from?"
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:40 am

"Huh...So...Ah, yeah. Alternative magic as a course covers rarer magic styles. Usually, your teachers for it are ones who know it, and they likely learned it back home. Most of your pupils are just studying it for the history and to understand more about those who practice it, it's not usually as effective as what we unicorns can do. But it is interesting to learn about. If you have any magic proficiency at all, I'd imagine it's a fairly easy course." She thought for a moment. "That said, understanding some of the underlying concepts can lead to interesting applications..."
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:44 am

Lyntermas wrote:
AleneShazam wrote:"Unfortunately... no. But my expertise is broad enough that I can cover practical applications of magical theory in history." Warfield rolls his eyes. "Bloody magic users."

"...Actually, there is something that's been bothering me that you might be able to help us with. Aurora, may I borrow the journal for a moment?" Taking the notebook, Torque flipped through it until he found the "gibberish" and goat sketch, then passed it to Warfield. "This text and sketch may be part of some ancient history Mirrored Clear and her club found. Would you happen to know where (or, rather, when) it's from?"
Warfield peers at the text. "Uln Nyth... Hier..." He mutters, tapping his chin. "I don't... actually..."

He purses his lips for a moment. "Krivneer is Old Elken for... uh, ruins, I think? No, no... eer..." He continues to mumble to himself. "It's a verb... ruin. It means degradation over time, I think, usually in conjunction with something old. 

"As for the rest... Hier. Hi-er? Hie-r?" Warfield scratches his head. "If this is also Old Elken it could mean 'to rise', as in the sun or the moon. But it's missing a vowel here. Could be anything. That's all I can tell you without a dedicated study."
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:55 pm

"Ok, so we're essentially now investigating the study of another language and culture, a la Alternative Magics. So then next on the list to see is a teacher who is more specialized in Old Elken, as well as any kind of magic their culture is known for."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:52 pm

A1C Bronymous wrote:"Ok, so we're essentially now investigating the study of another language and culture, a la Alternative Magics. So then next on the list to see is a teacher who is more specialized in Old Elken, as well as any kind of magic their culture is known for."
Skyline nods. "Good call... oh, and we'll want to check out the meeting room as well. Shayma is probably the closest we have to an expert on old elken culture, since she's the alternative magics professor. Which do you reckon we should do first?"
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:23 am

"If it's all the same to everyone else, I'd like to visit Shayma first. Deciphering this writing may be key to understanding the club's motives (assuming it's something slightly more complicated than "unlimited power" or "the pursuit of magic"). The meeting room may have clues to the member's whereabouts, but if we were to bump into one of them, I suspect things would...escalate quickly. I would prefer being as prepared as possible before any potential confrontations."
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:19 pm

"Honestly, while talking with Shayma would be utterly fascinating, I feel more as if we should check the meeting room," Arcane stated, thinking quickly. "I mean, if things are getting to 'disappearing member' bad, I can see your point, but it also starts becoming a case of the longer we poke around, the more chances there are for them to cover their tracks or disappear somepony else. Besides, while I hope that things don't escalate if we run into them, I...I've had to tussle a bit in my time, and I'm sure the two of them..." She gestured at Skyline and Flashpoint here, "...Are even more capable of handling themselves."
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:39 pm

Caden2112 wrote:"Honestly, while talking with Shayma would be utterly fascinating, I feel more as if we should check the meeting room," Arcane stated, thinking quickly. "I mean, if things are getting to 'disappearing member' bad, I can see your point, but it also starts becoming a case of the longer we poke around, the more chances there are for them to cover their tracks or disappear somepony else. Besides, while I hope that things don't escalate if we run into them, I...I've had to tussle a bit in my time, and I'm sure the two of them..." She gestured at Skyline and Flashpoint here, "...Are even more capable of handling themselves."
Skyline nods. "Being a guard in a university with many unicorns means that you're required to learn specific anti magic techniques. If we run into anyone hostile, we should be able to subdue them."
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:15 am

"I was just gonna hit 'em." Flashpoint says bluntly.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:39 am

"I suppose you have a point. If the history club was to start covering their tracks, they'd be more likely to remove evidence from their meeting room first. I'm willing to head there first if the rest of you are."

Torque turned to Warfield. "You may have inferred some of this from our questions, but we believe that the history club is engaged in highly dangerous activities. If you encounter any of the members, use extreme caution." Torque thought for a moment. "Skyline, is there any way we can remotely communicate with the other guards? It may be helpful to have them be aware of our findings and concerns as we discover them. ...Of course, there may be some complications. Assembling the force in mass during the conference on "less than air-tight" evidence may not do well for the campus's reputation at this point."
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:11 am

Lyntermas wrote:"I suppose you have a point. If the history club was to start covering their tracks, they'd be more likely to remove evidence from their meeting room first. I'm willing to head there first if the rest of you are."

Torque turned to Warfield. "You may have inferred some of this from our questions, but we believe that the history club is engaged in highly dangerous activities. If you encounter any of the members, use extreme caution." Torque thought for a moment. "Skyline, is there any way we can remotely communicate with the other guards? It may be helpful to have them be aware of our findings and concerns as we discover them. ...Of course, there may be some complications. Assembling the force in mass during the conference on "less than air-tight" evidence may not do well for the campus's reputation at this point."
"Most guards have short range communication crystals." Skyline nods. "If something dangerous is on campus I'd actually prefer the bulk of the security to defend the civilians, but I know a few good ponies that the main force can spare if things escalate. So the answer is yes, we can call for reinforcements if things get hairy."
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:43 am

"Good to know. Hopefully, nothing requiring reinforcements will occur, but it's good to be aware of our options. On that note, is there anything else you guys would like to ask Warfield before we head to the meeting room?" Torque looked over at the professor. "...Of course, if you have any pertinent knowledge that's popped in your head or questions you'd like to ask, Warfield, feel free to speak your mind."
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:27 am

Lyntermas wrote:"Good to know. Hopefully, nothing requiring reinforcements will occur, but it's good to be aware of our options. On that note, is there anything else you guys would like to ask Warfield before we head to the meeting room?" Torque looked over at the professor. "...Of course, if you have any pertinent knowledge that's popped in your head or questions you'd like to ask, Warfield, feel free to speak your mind."
Warfield hesitates. "Just... exactly why are you after those students? They might be a bit... well, whimsical, and short sighted, but... they're good kids. I can't think of a reason for them to be in this much trouble..." He trails off, looking slightly worried.
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:24 pm

"Well, as is always the case in these matters, it might be absolutely nothing. Just following leads." Flashpoint says, now looking more around the room then at Warfield. "Or, they could be kidnappers and horrible death wizards that horribly murder ponies. Could go either way at this point."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 33 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20 ... 33  Next