Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Call of Colthulhu: Team One's Adventures

5 posters

Page 31 of 33 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

Go down

Call of Colthulhu: Team One's Adventures - Page 31 Empty Re: Call of Colthulhu: Team One's Adventures

Post  AleneShazam Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:09 am

(Apologies for the looooong absence, I've been quite busy and couldn't quite muster up the strength to write much at all)

Through the magic of horribly disorienting teleportation circles, Torque quickly arrives at the hotel he booked for the trip, with Darling in tow. The process of retracting the reservation goes smoothly, and before long Torque finds himself entering the now-vacant room to reclaim his belongings. What he actually finds, however, is an upturned room, with his personal effects scattered all over the place like someone had ransacked his luggage. Nothing important appears to be missing, thankfully, but the fact remains that someone broke into the hotel room and looked through his things.

---

Flashpoint, too, is promptly transported to the school via magic circle, and he easily tracks down Skyline's location - he is still bedridden in the infirmary, although apparently suffering from no permanent damage. When Skyline sees Flashpoint approach, he cracks a tired smile and nods at him. "Hey, buddy. Glad to see one of us is up and about, at least."

Sitting up, Skyline grimaces and takes a steadying breath before continuing. "So... crazy fire demon from a rock. That's about as much as I remember. Then I wake up in bandages and in bed. Mind filling me in?"

---

Aurora, if she doesn't have anything else to do, is given a small but practical room complete with a will-o-wisp lamp, study desk, stationery, and an acceptably comfortable bed. Surprisingly normal, for a magical underground cult that worships an all seeing eye made of dragon scales.

Cracking the book open, a quick skim through tells her that there isn't anything particularly magic or magical about the contents of the book - it's largely lore and legend, complete with little bubbly illustrations on the margins on the book, probably the work of a bored acolyte. If she doesn't flip to anything specific, she starts from the front and manages to read through what appears to be the creation myth of elder worship.

Summary of story for the unenlightened:

Eventually she is interrupted by a knocking at the door, which turns out to be the Aspiration asking for her presence in the scrying chamber. Turns out Moon Gazer wants to know if Aurora is willing to lend a hoof in figuring out how their mental link was infiltrated by someone unfamiliar.
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Call of Colthulhu: Team One's Adventures - Page 31 Empty Re: Call of Colthulhu: Team One's Adventures

Post  Lyntermas Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:15 am

"...Well, if I wasn't planning on moving out of this hotel before, I sure am now. Hmm, was this Eloquence's work during our lost time, perhaps? Darling, help me look around for clues." Torque looked around the messy room to see if there was anything he didn't recognize from before (Signs of forced entry, prints on the floor, some convenient occult totem left behind, etc).

Perception for clues...2 (1d20) + 8 = 10
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:31 pm

"Ehhh... more of the same, really. You seen one crazy demon thing you've seen them all." Flashpoint responds, taking a seat. "We may have found a lead on our missing mare, but it turns out there's this whole underground cult wrapped up in it, and then another, literally underground cult. Wasn't fun. Dogs and Little rat lizard things are involved." Flashpoint cocks his head back, making a list. "Mind manipulation magic, underground shrine. Living doors and possibly caverns. Talking masks, uhh... lots of stairs. You know, regular type stuff. The plan right now is to not tell you a bunch of that stuff and get the guards all worked up and on alert, because we're working on it. So you know, didn't hear it from me." He gives Skyline a familiar look, saying nothing but implying everything.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:38 pm

Well, it wasn't a secret tome of magical lore, but it was something interesting. That was...Certainly one way of looking at the creation of everything, at least. She wasn't sure what made Equus so special...Maybe the ambient magic? Hmm...Questions for later. For now, though, she was distracted by Gazer's request. "Ah, of course...I must admit, I've been curious as to how such a link was compromised, it could lead to...interesting discoveries." She smiled, nodding and waiting for Moon Gazer to lead the way..
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:32 am

Moon Gazer nods gratefully and beckons for Aurora to sit down in front of what looks to be a ritual circle. "Please take a seat. I would like to show you the process by which we communicate telepathically. Perhaps you might be able to spot any weaknesses in the connection that our unknown intruder might have exploited."

She begins by setting down a few scrappy looking gemstones in the middle of the circle, and begins chanting in some kind of unnerving unknown language. A few moments later, Aurora feels that familiar tingle, and Moon Gazer's voice sounds in her mind. "The circle is not always necessary, but for longer distances it focuses the mind. The prayer I uttered releases part of my consciousness so I might connect with minds remotely without requiring speech. It's quite similar to what conventional magicians call 'astral projection', though considerably less extensive. Only a small sliver of the mind is unbound, rather than the entire soul."
(Arcana prompt)

Skyline has a look of mild concern as Flashpoint relates his experiences, and when he comes to the end of his account, Skyline nods knowingly and smirks. "Hm. Well, sounds like you had fun. Meanwhile, I'm still stuck to this for a few days. Something about tissue damage or whatever. You... do your thing, I guess? Stay out of trouble, if that's even possible for our line of work..."

He shrugs. "As for our end of things... the school's been keeping things quiet to avoid panic. Shayma sent us a message all the way from the Misty Springs in Haywaii, so apparently she's safe. Taking a well deserved vacation, too. That club's activities are suspended for now, and the students are kept safe under watch. We're doing a sweep of their rooms for anything suspicious too, but so far nothing has come up. The conference is wrapping up soon, so it'll quiet down around here soon enough. Not much else to report, to be honest."

He sighs, just as a serious looking earth pony stallion with a caduceus cutie mark approaches. "Skyline, we need to get another scan of you to make sure no trace demonic magic is on you... ah, am I interrupting?"

He looks between Skyline and Flashpoint, but Skyline shakes his head. "It's fine, Doc. There's not much I can do from here anyway, so... just focus on the investigation, and bring her back, yeah?"

(Since crystalite is apparently unavailable, I'll pilot the mask for now and shuffle it away somewhere in the next scene, unless crystalite comes back)
Torque doesn't find anything worth noting, but with a quick sweep of the area Darling comes up with something interesting. On one of the books Torque packed, there's a piece of parchment sandwiched between the pages, with large, messy writing on top:

"We know you were there. Don't interfere. This is none of your business."

Around the writing is what looks like an mobius strip, composed of rolling waves.
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:12 pm

"Ugh, I guess. I was coming to make sure you knew what was happening so you could take over and I could leave, but if you're gonna pull the 'I'm critically injured, waaa' card then I guess I'll just have to continue my outstanding work." Flash rolls his eyes and quietly exits so the doctor can do his thing. Unsure of exactly what to do next, he decides to return to the school to await the others.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:49 pm

Aurora sat down, listening and blinking as she felt that tingle, but she listened, thinking for a bit. I see...Alright, give me just a moment... With that, she focused her efforts on understanding the process so that she could determine any outstanding vulnerabilities...

---

Arcana:
1d20+15 = 15+15 = 30
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:59 am

"Hmm. Well, if it was Eloquence or Deep Secret, the "we know you were there" is a little redundant. So, possibly some other group of cultists. That border pattern looks interesting, though." Torque tried to think if he had seen something like that pattern before.

Rolling History on the mobius strip pattern...9 (1d20) + 10 = 19
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:46 am

When Flashpoint leaves the infirmary, he is immediately met with the blurry, shadowy form of the Aspiration. "We have... a situation."

If it were possible for a being without a face to look nervous, the Aspiration would be looking nervous at that moment. It looks around quickly, before beckoning for Flashpoint to follow. "We sense a significant presence nearby, with hostile intent. We suspect it is searching for you. Our recommendation is to return to the teleportation circle post haste, and seek shelter in the church where security is greater."

It quickly gestures for Flashpoint to follow it, back in the direction where he came from.

(Perception prompt)

---

Torque doesn't think it resembles anything he's seen before, but the Mask easily identifies it as a symbol belonging to the cult of Al'Th'Ki, which according to the Mask has squatted in the area since before Baltimare was even established. The pattern is nicknamed the Rolling River and is a symbol for infinity and inevitability.

There doesn't seem to be much else of note in the tossed up room.

---

Aurora immediately spots a potential vulnerability. Because it is based off of projecting one's consciousness, rather than pure information as with most forms of telepathic communication, it can go much further and communicate more information, but at the same time, it makes it a lot easier for another consciousness to sneak into the connection as long as the infiltrator has a smaller footprint than the intended message. By trailing in the footsteps of the original consciousness, the infiltrating consciousness can then navigate the network unhindered, as it is effectively masked by the original presence.
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:24 pm

Huh...Well, there's one. You're sending a portion of your mind...Long as somepony keeps a smaller profile than your 'runner's' message, they can get in and basically go wherever they want in the network. Aurora thought, blinking. That seemed like the kind of vulnerability that should have been addressed, but perhaps it was just a natural side-effect of such a connection...
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:23 pm

Flashpoint, unwavering suspicious of the shifty entity, looks around candidly as he slowly follows it. "And what if it's not here for me? Then what, I run and somepony gets zapped?"

Perception: Nat20 +11=31
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:36 am

"Al'Th'Ki? Oh, I think I remember Moon Gazer mentioning something about them. They're nicknamed "the Unending Water", and they're the more cloak-and-chanting-and-dark-rituals kind of cultists. Well, it seems they're now aware of my involvement in this mess. Nothing for it but to pack up quickly and get back to base where it's safe...well, safer." Torque started to use his telekinesis to organize the scattered contents of the room into his bags. "Darling, I know you probably wanted a night on the town, but if some of their agents saw us enter the hotel, they may figure out that you're "with me" and target you as well."
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:10 pm

"Let them," the Mask said in an aloof tone. "In fact, I dare them to! I'll have them eating out of my hooves in short order. I'm having my night out, one way or another," it groused, sitting down and crossing its forelegs.
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:12 pm

Even though he's hardly learned in magic, Flashpoint has dealt with enough shady magic stuff that he's immediately able to feel tingles go down his spine as he senses a malignant presence somewhere nearby, though not in the direct vicinity, but definitely in the same building. His acute senses tells him that nothing is causing a huge commotion, so the presence is likely keeping its head down, which indicates that it is searching for something.

Meanwhile, the Aspiration shakes its head, and with a serious tone, it says, "It's gradually refining its search towards your direction. It was only sweeping the school before, but this host can sense it finally narrowing its search in accordance to your location. It is our conclusion that it must be searching for you. It is keeping quiet, so as long as we do not initiate combat within the school grounds, there should not be any collateral."

Although he doesn't trust the Aspiration, Flashpoint can tell that in this case, it is probably telling the truth, since it lines up with that he's detecting.

The Aspiration eventually leads Flashpoint out into the open grounds, towards an empty lot outside the school grounds which Flashpoint knows is where the teleportation circle back to the church is. However, the moment they exit the school building, the uncomfortable malicious feeling Flashpoint feels multiplies tenfold, and the Aspiration actually seems taken aback for a moment, which is surprising considering how the Aspiration has scarcely shown any signs of emotion before.

Out of the corner of his eye, he spots what seems to be a shadow without an owner streaking out from the school, headed towards them. There's a few seconds in which Flashpoint can run or do whatever.

...ah... Moon Gazer sounds embarrassed for a moment. ...That would be an issue pertaining to the nature of detaching a consciousness, then. A trade-off for distance and precision, perhaps...

Her sentence drifts off, and Aurora gets an odd feeling for a moment as she watches Moon Gazer. It's like she's having a daydream, but right in the middle of speaking. She also gets the distinct tingly feeling of her early-warning system coming from Moon Gazer, if a little subdued, as though the mental influence itself isn't very significant.

After a moment Moon Gazer blinks, and gives Aurora a tired smile. "Apologies, it seems scrying for most of the day and maintaining a mental connection has taxed my reserves somewhat. Perhaps it would be best to continue this discussion at a later time..."
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:52 pm

"You sure? I felt something...Off, for a moment. Someone may be trying to do...Well, precisely that...but to be honest, I don't think I have it in me to do my shielding spell, but I might be able to take a closer look...But that's on your decision either way." Aurora stood, worried for a moment, trying to scratch her hoof idly...She had a bad feeling about this...If she rested here, she might want to take...Precautions.
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:10 pm

"I wouldn't go underestimating our opponents, Darling. Well, potential, probable opponents, at least. They may not be as easy to impress or trick as the rats or Deep Secret. At the very least, I'd like to drop my stuff off back at the base before doing anything else. I'd prefer not to have vandals or thieves going through my things." Torque finishes packing his bags, seals them up, and starts heading out of the room.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:54 pm

"Oh would you look at the time." Flashpoint spouts, zooming into the air at top speed in an effort to escape the shadow thing, his previous doubts left firmly on the ground.

Athletics: Flying Ace 16/11= 16+18= 34

Last edited by A1C Bronymous on Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:55 am

"...Oh, very well. No reason not to be cautious, at least," the mask acquiesced. "But I fully expect to find myself in a rowdy tavern by sun down! One with a loud band and pretty mares!" it insisted. "Or do I like stallions better? Always hard to tell with a new host..."
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:47 am

Flashpoint, with both a head start and flight on his side, just manages to streak past the school gates and to the empty lot where the teleportation circle is while staying ahead of the strange shadow thing - which on closer inspection isn't shadow at all, but some kind of oily ink that rolls across the floor, giving the impression of a shadow while actually being a liquid, no doubt a form of camouflage. The Aspiration appears next to Flashpoint moments later, the air rippling slightly as it phases into existence inside the teleportation circle.

The inky water surges forward, closing in on the two of them in a tidal wave of inky black, but it's just a few moments too late as the Aspiration utters a quick phrase in the grating, unnatural language that both it and Moon Gazer speaks, and there is a bright flash of light that, when it fades, brings the two back into the church. The Aspiration is quiet for a moment, before saying, "We will need to report this transgression to Moon Gazer. If you so wish, you may come with us, or you may pick out a room in the living quarters down the hallway."

The Aspiration doesn't seem to wait for a response, setting off for the direction of what Flashpoint presumes to be the chamber Moon Gazer's in.

After packing up and backtracking their steps, Torque and the mask eventually make their way back to the teleportation circle, where a cloaked acolyte is waiting for them to teleport them back.

The acolyte (a mare by the sound of her voice) says in a bored voice, "Please keep legs and tails within the teleportation circle."

*Pop*

With a flash, they reappear within the church of Dason, and the acolyte gives them a short nod. "If that'll be all, the living quarters are that way."

She points down a hallway. "Should be easy to find. If you wish to speak to High Priestess Gazer, her chamber is to there, one with the gilded door. I will be here operating the teleportation circle if you require passage outside again."

The acolyte falls silent, so abruptly that it's almost like she just switched herself off like a machine.

Moon Gazer looks uncomprehendingly at Aurora for a moment before shaking her head. "I think I'll be fine. I don't know what you picked up on but I feel just fine - maybe it's just nerves?"

She gives Aurora a tired smile. "I appreciate the concern, though, Miss Aurora."
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:12 am

Torque thanked the acolyte before moving his luggage out of the circle. "Well, I think picking out a bunk will be next on the agenda. Darling, could you show that note we found to Moon Gazer and tell her our suspicions of Al'Th'Ki while I put my things away in the living quarters?"
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:37 pm

Flashpoint's first instinct is to follow along, but realizing that he has no idea what just happened, he decides to let the Aspiration handle it. "I'll go find a room. You can explain whatever that was." He says, heading to the living quarters and seeking an empty room.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:43 pm

Aurora shook her head, smiling a bit. "As you say. I'll just retire to my lodgings then. Thank you, though. It was a fascinating glimpse into remote communication techniques." She didn't buy it, something seemed wrong. Regardless, pressing the issue here was a bit stupid. She'd just make sure to be extra vigilant and set a small warning system up...
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:11 pm

Moon Gazer glances at Aurora and nods. "You're welcome. And thank you, for helping me find that weakness. Good night, Miss Aurora."

As Aurora makes her way across the corridors, she runs into Flashpoint, then Torque, both of whom are looking for an open room, amidst the many quarters already occupied by acolytes and local inhabitants. They quickly manage to find a trio of empty rooms close to where Aurora's room is, and have a little time to just talk as they await further instructions, or retire for the night.
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:08 pm

So what did you guys do today? I was hunted and attacked by a shadow monster."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:44 pm

"Shadow-...Well, you're here, so...Unless there's something else to it, I'm assuming the story ends with 'and I survived.' I found out our benefactor's psychic network is distressingly easily intercepted if you really want, and I keep getting an odd feeling around Gazer, like someone's about to start puppeting her. I plan on setting up wards, just in case so that if someone does make her a bit stab-happy, I have fair warning before things get to that point. Aside from that, I read up on their version of events. It's quite interesting. Some of it seems like a horror story you'd tell a bunch of colts and fillies at a camp somewhere, but it's interesting nonetheless." Aurora spoke quickly, thinking. "...The problem here is that we have to start assuming that the ones who want us out of the picture are at the least, aware of our plans, if not our every move from here on in. That complicates matters severely. Then again, our 'plans' so far have really only covered getting to where we need to be. I dunno about you two, but I've been winging it after that." She paused, taking a breath as she collected her thoughts.
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 33 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next