Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A couple questions on how non-Moderators/non-Admins should deal with forum rules.

5 posters

Go down

A couple questions on how non-Moderators/non-Admins should deal with forum rules. Empty A couple questions on how non-Moderators/non-Admins should deal with forum rules.

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:56 pm

In this topic, there will be a question. If anyone wants to know the story behind the question, it's under the spoiler. Otherwise, you can skip right to it.

Spoiler:

Basically, my question(s) is/are as follows: what is this forum's official policy on seeing rulebreaking/potential rulebreaking/things simply getting out of hand? Do we PM a mod, ignore it and hope a mod notices, attempt a gentle reminder of the rules before doing one of the other things, or simply PM the person in question?

To clarify before another fiasco occurs; I am not attempting to attack any member of this forum personally by asking these questions, nor do I think the rules of this forum are somehow inadequate, nor am I in any way displeased with anyone or any system in place in these forums. I merely wish for some clarification.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

A couple questions on how non-Moderators/non-Admins should deal with forum rules. Empty Re: A couple questions on how non-Moderators/non-Admins should deal with forum rules.

Post  Oblivious Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:17 pm

Ideally, issues between members of the forum should be sorted out between each other. Gives a chance to settle things honorably without things getting too ugly. If said situation does get ugly, though, you'll also have messages as proof of your attempts to settle things before it went south, which will help the mods sort out the root of the problem and keep the drama to a minimum.

That said, if you do see something that might get out of hand, and you don't think you have the place to say anything, let a mod know, so it can be handled as painlessly as possible. We're trying to keep things as open and friendly as can be, though. So something that might help is this bit of advice.

Ask yourself: "Is this something that needs to be said, and would this get me in trouble if I were to say this to someone's face?"

Might stop many rule issues before they even start.

This is all my opinion though; I'd like to see what the other mods think of this, so we can get a precedence on it.
Oblivious
Oblivious

Back to top Go down

A couple questions on how non-Moderators/non-Admins should deal with forum rules. Empty Re: A couple questions on how non-Moderators/non-Admins should deal with forum rules.

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:30 pm

I reccomend two things.

1) PM a mod right away so we can look at it. We might not even know it's happening.

2) Feel free to ask the person to change the behavior without invoking site rules. Basically, it reads more diplomatic if you say "Let's not go there, don't want anyone to be offended" instead of, "Don't do that, it breaks rules or comes close to it."

Whether you do 2 in the thread or in a personal PM (or whether you do it at all) is your decision.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:34 pm

Personally, I prefer if people tell me first, privately, if they think I did something wrong so I can do something about it before an "official" response is required (and no admins are annoyed because their time is being wasted).

*shrug* I'm not sure if that matches official policy or not but, well.... I'm more of a believer in using the right approach for the right person rather than one size fits all. In my case I'm rather....let's say, hmmmm...touchy about public statements about whether I'm breaking rules or not, for personal reasons. I'm sure not everyone shares my attitude. Everyone has their own experiences afterall.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:14 pm

It's better to work with more "guildlines" then real full set rules... So the hard cases can be more gently dealt with...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:42 pm

Huh. Maybe it was a good thing this topic got produced, even if the circumstances leading up to it were not - we certainly seem to have a variety of opinions on the matter!

I suppose I'll go with Stairc as "effective official policy" for now, then. And for what it's worth, I do apologize for the boneheadedness that caused the situation that caused this topic. I'll try and be more careful in the future. Smile
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:56 pm

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Huh. Maybe it was a good thing this topic got produced, even if the circumstances leading up to it were not - we certainly seem to have a variety of opinions on the matter!

I suppose I'll go with Stairc as "effective official policy" for now, then. And for what it's worth, I do apologize for the boneheadedness that caused the situation that caused this topic. I'll try and be more careful in the future. Smile

No worries APC. We still love you. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:35 am

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:No worries APC. We still love you. =)

If you really loved me you'd abbreviate my name right

Spoiler:
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:39 am

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:
Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:No worries APC. We still love you. =)

If you really loved me you'd abbreviate my name right

Spoiler:

*laughs* I blame the keyboard. QWERTY is evil.

APW
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:00 am

You know what... The weirdest thing here is that my initials are in fact APC, so for a second there I thought that comment might've been about me. Then my brain stopped a drepin'.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down