Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rise of the Windigo King (OOC and Signup)

+4
SubjectZ
The Warrior of Many Faces
RavenscroftRaven
Dr Blight
8 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Rise of the Windigo King (OOC and Signup) Empty The Rise of the Windigo King (OOC and Signup)

Post  Dr Blight Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:04 pm

As the title says, signup and OOC page for the campaign I'll be GMing soon!

A little about the GM then: umm... there's not much of anything to say. This'll be my first campaign I've made and first time GMing anything so please bare with me.

Even though I say Sign-up, we've already managed to get a full party! I'll keep this section updated as we go with harmony, current money, and in case anyone has to leave or someone new joins! I'll take a page from my own GM (I'll be doing that a lot Xand) and trust you all with your own rolls. I'm pretty sure none of you would ever cheat anyway!

I'll also be doing something I read somewhere, possibly the pony handler's guide, possibly a D&D DM book I bought if no one objects. "offer the players a small amount of experience harmony at the start of the campaign to come up with a backstory for their character. With things like family and friends, desires, and things they may be known for having done in the past."

I figure fluff like that would be really helpful for me so if you're alright with it, I'll offer up some harmony for your past achievements. Maybe about 100? If there's anything in those stories you want hidden from other players completely, perhaps for a big dramatic reveal, please PM it to me!
THE PARTY! ((I'll be starting you off default with 300 bits in your wallets/coinpouch/whathaveyou))

RavenscroftRaven - Land Lobber the Minotaur Pirate - Lvl 1 - 300/1000 Harmony - 400bits
XandZero2 - Dr. Death Ray the Unicorn Scientist - Lvl 1 - 300/1000 Harmony - 300bits
Subjectz - Healing Torch the Unicorn Doctor - Lvl 1 - 300/1000 Harmony - 300bits
tygerburningbright - Ragnarok the Hippogriff Archeologist - Lvl 1 - 300/1000 Harmony - 300bits
The Warrior of Many Faces - Halynn the Green Lantern Zebra! - Lvl 1 - 300/1000 Harmony - 250bits
Grey Pen - Mosstone the Unicorn Ranger! - Lvl 1 - 300/1000 Harmony - 300bits

As things are, I think we'll be ready to start by Monday if not sooner, just gotta finish up my monster-list and post it up for review! oh! and also, I made a map! This version was shrunk somewhat, if you want the full size version, I'll email it to you. It's very large though.
Port Summer on the island of Junna!
map:
fluff:

Last edited by Dr Blight on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:57 pm; edited 15 times in total
Dr Blight
Dr Blight
Best Pony
Best Pony

http://askdarknebula.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

The Rise of the Windigo King (OOC and Signup) Empty Re: The Rise of the Windigo King (OOC and Signup)

Post  RavenscroftRaven Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:24 pm

A little backstory, a little item hoard?

Glad to be on-board!
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

The Rise of the Windigo King (OOC and Signup) Empty Re: The Rise of the Windigo King (OOC and Signup)

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:21 pm

I am so jealous of that map... best I've done is a dinky, unpleasant, not-even-close-to-being-to-scale map made in MS Paint. Is there a specific program for that?
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  SubjectZ Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:24 pm

That map is awesome! Also, is there a size limit? Because I can keep this going for like a page and a half.
SubjectZ
SubjectZ
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Let's say limit it at the average length of an average episode of the series. Smile
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:44 pm

there isn't a specific program, I just used my copy of photoshop. I figure anything that lets you use layers could do it. All I did was doodle the islands and stuff with a paintbrush on the bottom layer, throw that grid on the layer above that, then use the paintbucket on individual squares to mark out various things.

If you're talking about the backstory thing there's no real limit. I like to read and the more you give me the more I have to use. If you're posting it here though, try to keep it in a single post to make it easier to find, and if you think it might be too long for everyone else, throw some spoiler tags around it so people can choose to look at it if they want or not.
Dr Blight
Dr Blight
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  SubjectZ Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:46 pm

Also, can I write it in the form of a personal flashback for Healing Torch, like, idk, how they say your whole life flashes before your eyes or something?
SubjectZ
SubjectZ
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:48 pm

Dr Blight wrote:there isn't a specific program, I just used my copy of photoshop. I figure anything that lets you use layers could do it. All I did was doodle the islands and stuff with a paintbrush on the bottom layer, throw that grid on the layer above that, then use the paintbucket on individual squares to mark out various things.

I wonder if I could do something like that with GIMP, then...
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:50 pm

that's fine by me. If anything it'll help me get a feel for your character before we start too.
Dr Blight
Dr Blight
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  SubjectZ Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:05 pm

Aww Yeah!
SubjectZ
SubjectZ
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Just an update, working on a version of the map that might hopefully be easier to look at. Removing the gird, making the text bigger. Don't want anyone getting headaches from trying to use it x.x So while I'm at it, anyone want me to change the text color? I've heard red is hard to look at. Should be done within minutes.
Dr Blight
Dr Blight
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:17 pm

Dr Blight wrote:Just an update, working on a version of the map that might hopefully be easier to look at. Removing the gird, making the text bigger. Don't want anyone getting headaches from trying to use it x.x So while I'm at it, anyone want me to change the text color? I've heard red is hard to look at. Should be done within minutes.

Nah, I like the red. It stands out.
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  SubjectZ Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:20 pm

WHat I'm thinking is , you give the big map you said you had to the archaeologist, because he'd know his way around the place he was exploring, right? right?
SubjectZ
SubjectZ
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:28 pm

New map is up, seems easier to read to me at least.

As for the big map, the only difference between the big map and this one is that it is literally bigger in dimensions. So you could zoom in and see things more easily. This new version makes it easier to see the text anyway so the big map is almost a moot point.

As for this map's role in-game, this is basically the kind of map you'd find in a brochure stand being sold to tourists ((except presumably theirs isn't made of blocks)). There ARE things and locations I have planned that this map doesn't show simply because the guy who made the maps doesn't know about them. There are however some NPCs in-game who might know bits and pieces of these hidden things through their own personal experiences.
Dr Blight
Dr Blight
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  SubjectZ Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:02 pm

I like it!
SubjectZ
SubjectZ
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  SubjectZ Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:04 pm

So are we done with the original thread?
SubjectZ
SubjectZ
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Blight Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:08 pm

pretty much. hopefully it can be used for its original purpose, as a source to tips for rookie GMs
Dr Blight
Dr Blight
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:09 pm

Oki-Doki Loki!

Short Story:

And that's how Equestria was made!
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:11 pm

RavenscroftRaven wrote:Oki-Doki Loki!

Short Story:

And that's how Equestria was made!

LOL!
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  SubjectZ Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:12 pm

Holy Backstory, you already finished?!
SubjectZ
SubjectZ
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:14 pm

It's pretty short, just a quick thing I tossed together. Normally they'd be twice as long, but normally I make level 5 D&D characters, I need to justify level 1 and no wealth. Smile
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  SubjectZ Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:28 pm

That was epic. Now anything I write is gonna suck in comparison... Crying or Very sad But seriously, that was awesome, and it had surprising depth for what amounts to a treasure hunter!
SubjectZ
SubjectZ
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:33 pm

The trick is to toss some headcanon into whatever you're writing, whether it relates or not. Starting with the creation of the minotaurs... It really has nothing to do with the story, but I got 2.5 paragraphs out of it to make it feel bigger even though it's really in-world headcanon mythology. You can write something as good or better, I assure you. I've got confidence in you!

The story boils down to "A minotaur miner tried sailing, liked it, became a pirate, and got shipwrecked". I'm just unnecessarily wordy. Which reminds me, I should really finish the next chapter of my fanfic...

(I'm surprised no one commented on the name of the origin island. )

Last edited by RavenscroftRaven on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  SubjectZ Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:34 pm

You have a fanfic?
SubjectZ
SubjectZ
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:38 pm

I have the START of one. I'm a slow writer and need inspiration to do a chunk. I will often just sit down and power 1000 words out, then have nothing come to mind for a week.

I've got 4 chapters (I'm not a fan of chapter 3 though) about a changeling that infiltrates the Canterlot castle a year before Chrysalis does, basically on a bet with her that he could.
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next