Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Investigators of the Odd

+3
Demonu
Quietkal
The Warrior of Many Faces
7 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Investigators of the Odd Empty Investigators of the Odd

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:30 am

Canterlot is in a state of panic. In the wake of the Changeling invasion, paranoia runs rampant as everypony suspects their neighbors of possibly being a Changeling. Riots have broken out in some parts of the city, forcing Celestia's Day Guards to patrol the streets and keep order. Meanwhile, Luna's Night Troopers are running themselves ragged trying to identify who actually is a Changeling. Cadance has tried to calm everypony down with the power of love, but the hate and fear of much of the populace has proven extremely difficult to drive out, and she eventually had to stop trying after she lost consciousness during her latest attempt. Even outright commands from Celestia only lessened, not eliminated, the rioters, and while most of the citizens are behaving, there are still too many rioters to arrest them all. Thus, the city is in a state of chaos and flux.

In the wake of this, you all have received a clandestine message to meet at a cheap and dirty barbershop, ironically known as The Mane Event, in a disreputable part of town at midnight. The message has been sealed with Luna's seal of power; those who would live in Equestria have no choice but to answer the call.

The barber, a female unicorn with a white mane and blue fur speckled with yellow spots, is busying herself by chasing the many cockroaches in the dingy and empty building with a mop. It is 2330 hours, and the streets are empty save for two ponies, drunk on salt, stumbling into an alley and giggling. Best not to contemplate what they're doing in there. Posters line every streetlight and store, advertising obviously fake foolproof Changeling repelling techniques and anti-Changeling charms, or reminding the citizens that they should remain calm and not take the law into their own hooves.

You all approach the barbershop in question from a variety of directions, for a variety of reasons, and with varying degrees of caution. What will you do?

Cardbo wrote:Cheese Wheel approaches the shop cloaked. Before entering he looks around to see if he was followed.

Spoiler:

Seeing nothing, he turns and enters the shop.

He greets the unicorn. "They say a shave and a manecut are two bits"

OOC:I'm making things up as a go along. The above can either be spyspeak, or a request for a shave and manecut.

"Just wait for the others," the unicorn said briskly, crushing a cockroach with brutal efficiency. "Nopony comes here, no point in hiding."
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Investigators of the Odd Empty Re: Investigators of the Odd

Post  Quietkal Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:40 am

Kal nonchalantly walks in and gives the place a look, a flash of revulsion crossing his face. He merely utters an unimpressed grunt and sits, ready to spring up should any cockroaches scramble near him.
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:48 am

Dextor walked up to the barber shop, clearly having no idea what he's here for as dragons have very little use for a haircut. Unless they have a moustache. Because moustaches are cool. But Dextor didn't have a moustache. Because moustaches are for adults and he's still a baby dragon. The most badass baby dragon on the block! Okay, maybe the only baby dragon on the block but that didn't deter from the situation. And here he was, walking the streets at night like a boss, getting letters from Princess Luna and shite.

'Maybe this is my break to get out of here and explore the world.' Dextor thought to himself as he pushed open the barber shop's door.

Inside he saw a blue unicorn crushing a cockroach, a cloaked earth pony with a fez and a griffon sitting down all tensed up.

'Or maybe not...'

Last edited by Demonu on Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:56 am

Tap tap tap tap

It was hard, but not impossible, to see Blackhawk silhouetted against the night sky, watching carefully all those that passed into the building in front of him.

The feather-flanked hippogriff looked down upon the ragged old barbershop from his perch up above. It wasn't like it helped much, though; this part of the city was infernally dark.

Tap tap tap tap

He was never good at things like sitting still. Never had been. It was very hard to not just rush in there and see what all this was about firsthand. Hoof. One of those.

Tap tap tap tap

The tapping of his talon on the roof's edge betrayed his nervous energy. Every cell in his body was screaming for him to do something, that this was boring, that he was only wasting time. Tick tock. Tap tap.

Vaguely he wondered why Luna hadn't tasked him to deliver these letters he was presuming the other...four? Five?...had received. He'd have done it a lot faster than anypony else she could have asked. He supposed it had to be because he was the recipient of one of the letters, but then again that didn't make sense either. That would just make any task to deliver a message go even faster.

Tap tap tap tap

Perhaps she was worried about security. Maybe she didn't want anypony knowing who the others were until absolutely necessary. Or maybe there was more than one messenger assigned to deliver these, just in case one or more was intercepted.

Maybe it was because he was a hippogriff.

Tap...

Blackhawk's features scrunched up, half in shock at himself and half in exasperation. No, that wasn't right. Stupid to think that. A lot of ponies don't think like that. Most ponies didn't think like that. Of course Princess Luna wouldn't. She was too smart for that, and that kind of self-pity wasn't like him.

He smirked. "And waitin' around ain't like me either," he said to himself, taking off from the roof only to land on the asphalt of the street below a few short seconds later.

Back hooves first.

Tock.

Talons second.

Tick.

Blackhawk exhaled, then walked towards the dilapidated building where he was scheduled to meet the others, or so he supposed. "Go time," he said to himself, opening the door.

...place smelled like pineapples. That was odd.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:13 am

Kal rolls his eyes, but catches himself and makes it into a less than smooth attempt to clean his glasses.
Oh goody. A half-breed. Just when I thought it was as dirty as it could get in here. But I suppose the royal sisters must have had some reason to invite him, so he must be skilled at something.
He replaces his glasses and half smiles at the newcomer, then goes back to watching for cockroaches.
Spoiler:
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:17 am

Cheese isn't paying too much attention to the other guests, but is observing our host. Is her body-language telling me anything?

OOC: Perception Check.
Spoiler:
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:15 am

Zebulon brusquely walked through the darkened streets, noting the others nearby. Streets mostly empty - so much the better at this time of night. He preferred to work then, anyway - people tend to have some degree of fear when they see a Zebra walking through the streets.

He enters the shop, observing those around. An earth pony in needlessly fancy clothes, a griffin, a hippogriff, a baby dragon, and a unicorn crushing a cockroach. Shame, that - it could have had a life, but senseless violence robbed it of every experience it could have had. It seemed, through, that there were more pressing matters than mourning a cockroach - why else would the zebra's message have been enchanted?

He said nothing as he looked around the barbershop. No reason to interfere with the strangers - not until he knew what he (and, by extension, they) was doing there.
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:47 am

Cardbo wrote:Cheese isn't paying too much attention to the other guests, but is observing our host. Is her body-language telling me anything?

OOC: Perception Check.
Spoiler:

You observe that while she does a good job of hiding it, she's tense, ready to attack at a moment's notice. But you get the feeling that it's not that she's expecting trouble; rather, it would seem to be because she's been through so much that readiness is her default state. This is substantiated by the small chunk you notice has been taken out of her right ear.

"You're all here," she says emotionlessly. And with that obvious comment, her horn glows with dark blue magic, magic that then wraps itself around Cheese Wheel.
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:04 am

Zebulon has an idea of what's going on - in this world of paranoia and fear, Changeling-detecting spells are quite common throughout Equestria. Still, one could never be too careful - what if this unicorn was a Changeling, and the spell was something else? If anyone could see beyond the zebra's goggles, they'd notice his eyes bug out as he attempted to figure out what the spell was.

OOC: Arcana Check.

Spoiler:
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:07 am

Brony 7 of 9 wrote:Zebulon has an idea of what's going on - in this world of paranoia and fear, Changeling-detecting spells are quite common throughout Equestria. Still, one could never be too careful - what if this unicorn was a Changeling, and the spell was something else? If anyone could see beyond the zebra's goggles, they'd notice his eyes bug out as he attempted to figure out what the spell was.

OOC: Arcana Check.

Spoiler:

Zebulon successfully identifies the spell as a Changeling detection spell, confirming his suspicions.
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:09 am

"You're all here," she says emotionlessly. And with that obvious comment, her horn glows with dark blue magic, magic that then wraps itself around Cheese Wheel.

OOC:Is it just Cheese Wheel affected by the magic?

'Curious' thought Cheese Wheel to himself. Sniffing the field he was now surrounded by. 'Her magic seems to smell like...pineapples?'

Cheese Wheel looks to see whats happening to himself and Ms. Unicorn.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:15 am

Cardbo wrote:

OOC:Is it just Cheese Wheel affected by the magic?

'Curious' thought Cheese Wheel to himself. Sniffing the field he was now surrounded by. 'Her magic seems to smell like...pineapples?'

Cheese Wheel looks to see whats happening to himself and Ms. Unicorn.

[Just Cheese Wheel at the moment. And if Cheese Wheel wants to be able to figure out what's going on, he needs to roll Arcana. Very Happy]
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:24 am

Cheese Wheel tries to figure out what kind of magic is being used by Ms. Unicorn

OOC:Arcana check! Go Go Go!
Roll(1d20)+9:
4,+9
Total:13

'Who's a silly pony? You are, Cheese Wheel.' he thinks as struggles to figure out what type of magic is being used.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:27 am

Unfortunately, Cheese is unable to figure out what spell is being used on him, although he does note that it doesn't hurt at all.
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:33 am

Zebulon relaxes just a bit. At least he knows the unicorn isn't a Changeling. He holds himself back from saying anything about the spell until the earth pony is done being scanned - to his knowledge a Changeling could only imitate the earth pony, the unicorn, and himself; the zebra knew he wasn't a Changeling, and the unicorn couldn't be if it knew the detection spell, so the only unknown in this equation was the earth pony.
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:42 am

'What, in Princess Luna's name, are they doing? Oh, a spell. Let's see here. Seems to look like some kind of identification spell. Why'd they need that for? Anypony can see that's clearly an earth pony. Unless it's not an earth pony. Maybe it's a changeling? From the attack? Man, I should have been there, kicking all kinds of flanks. So are they going to cast on me? I'm not a pony. But what if I'm a changeling? Oh my Celestia, I could be sucking away their emotions right now!

Okay okay, breath, Dextor, breath. You're not a changeling. You're a dragon. A baby dragon but still a dragon. Let's see here: claws? Check. Tail? Check. Scales? Check. Fire breath?'

Dextor let out a puff of flame. Somehow, he felt like all the eyes in the room where now fixated on him, even if they weren't. "Euh... check?"

If I need to roll to also identify the spell: [12 + 7 Arcana + 5 FK magic = 24]
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:54 am

Demonu wrote:'What, in Princess Luna's name, are they doing? Oh, a spell. Let's see here. Seems to look like some kind of identification spell. Why'd they need that for? Anypony can see that's clearly an earth pony. Unless it's not an earth pony. Maybe it's a changeling? From the attack? Man, I should have been there, kicking all kinds of flanks. So are they going to cast on me? I'm not a pony. But what if I'm a changeling? Oh my Celestia, I could be sucking away their emotions right now!

Okay okay, breath, Dextor, breath. You're not a changeling. You're a dragon. A baby dragon but still a dragon. Let's see here: claws? Check. Tail? Check. Scales? Check. Fire breath?'

Dextor let out a puff of flame. Somehow, he felt like all the eyes in the room where now fixated on him, even if they weren't. "Euh... check?"

If I need to roll to also identify the spell: [12 + 7 Arcana + 5 FK magic = 24]

[XD]

Dextor does indeed identify the spell as a Changeling identification spell.

The unicorn, apparently startled by the flame, broke off her spell on Cheese Wheel, rolled to the side, and erected a magical shield, all in the space of about half a second. Then, realizing that that was unnecessary, she dropped her shield. "Think before you do that again, Dextor," she admonished the dragon.
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:03 pm

"I don't think I've told you my name." Dextor said as he eyed the unicorn suspiciously.

'In fact, this whole ensemble seems pretty weird. Almost like it's the set-up for a joke. An earth pony, a zebra, a griffon, a hippogriff and a baby dragon walk into a barber shop. The barber unicorn starts casting a spell on the earth pony and a lot of stuff happens. I don't recall how it goes on but I think the punchline was "The Aristocrats"...

Wait, what was I thinking about?'

Dextor rolled his eyes before remembering what he should be asking. "Would somepony or somebird by kind enough to let us know what's going on?"
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:11 pm

The baby dragon had a point. Zebulon has already been scanned, but he knew that, being a zebra, people would be suspicious and want further scans; but why call the dragon? Changelings, as far as Zebulon knew, could not imitate that shape. There was an ulterior motive.

"Indeed, should scans occur at any time, why now call this specific group to meet?"
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:40 pm

Spoiler:
A changeling detection spell? Interesting. Then it'd be safe to say this is no run-of-the-mill, secret meeting at what used to be a barbershop.
Kal idly picks up a very dusty button from the floor, inspects it briefly, and flicks it away.
"All things in time, I suppose. Better to make sure there's no spies among us before we do..." He circles his claw in the air, recalling that the letter didn't say why they were meeting. "...whatever we're here to do."
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:58 pm

Spoiler:

Blackhawk blinked twice at the griffin's words, coming out of his shocked stupor. "Alrighty then," he finally breathed, the significance of what was happening slowly settling into his feathered head. He mumbled to himself a little bit: "Spies...Princess Luna callin' me here and now there might be changelings runnin' 'round, that's just swell..."

The hippogriff looked up, attempting to gather himself with a shake or two of the head. "Alright, so tell us what exactly is, uh...no, right. Right. Alright." He stepped forward, talons scratching at the dusty floorboard. "Gotta check me first, of course. Make sure there's no changelings about. Well, go right ahead. Got my permission."

"Really, really hopin' this spell ain't got any kinks in its system..." he thought, bracing himself.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:21 pm

"Changelings can't imitate hippogriffs," the unicorn informed Blackhawk. "Only completely equine creatures. Zebulon's the only other we need worry about. Then I'll talk." That said, she began scanning Zebulon with the same spell.

"He's clean," she informed the group. "Moondancer, descend us."

The floor drops downwards; not alarmingly fast, about the speed of the average elevator, but sudden. Metal walls can be seen to either side as you descend; you're in some sort of large tunnel, likely made by Diamond Dogs. Magical lights shimmer on the walls at regular intervals, keeping things lit just enough so that everyone can see each other.

"I am Starlight, head of the Night Agents. We're spread thin. You're deputies now. You investigate things outside Canterlot we don't have time for. Any questions?"

A cockroach scuttled on her hair, and she calmly picked it up with magic and tossed it at the wall.
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:37 pm

The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:
"I am Starlight, head of the Night Agents. We're spread thin. You're deputies now. You investigate things outside Canterlot we don't have time for. Any questions?"

A cockroach scuttled on her hair, and she calmly picked it up with magic and tossed it at the wall.

"Yes. You really don't like cochroaches, do you? Why not pick up some traps from the store? I mean if you really like the one-by-one method, thats alright too."

"Aside from that, I've got two questions. Why us, and what now? I personally don't mind being deputized. Some of my customer base has been acting a bit -odd- at the moment."
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:39 pm

Well...this is...unexpected. Certainly a good opportunity though, and I suppose it will be a nice diversion from the library...wait, no that's right. They have that whole 'suspended for life' thing against me now.
"Err...will we be compensated for our efforts, or is this a 'the good of your country is its own reward' sort of thing?"
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:03 pm

Blackhawk raised an eyebrow. He'd never heard anything about changelings not being able to imitate non-equine races. In fact, he'd heard exactly the opposite. "Sides," he silently chuckled, "Even if they can only do ponies and stuff, still gives me half a chance of being one, right? Ah well, I know I ain't, so best not draw attention to myself."

He looked around, stealing glances at everybody there as furtively as possible. A bespectacled zebra, a dragon hatchling, a bookish griffin, a slightly chubby pony and, well, himself were not exactly what he thought of when he heard the words "team of top spies". Or even the words "team of mediocre spies", really. The colt had a point. Still, though...

He absentmindedly tapped his talon a few times. "Still, if I got the job and it's really this important, guess I gotta do it right. So much for not attracting attention, but then again ain't like I ever try and stay outta the limelight anyway." He cleared his throat, trying to grab the unicorn's attention before she could respond. "Alright, yeah. those are good questions and all but before we do all that I gotta ask somethin' myself."

He took a step forward. "Try to be confident", he told himself. "Apparently I don't know as much as I thought about changelings, and I can accept that, but what I do know about them, Ms. Starlight, is that they like to change into the people you aren't ever gonna think of suspectin' and then go about puttin' up a pretty convincing act. So my question for you, if you will excuse my rudeness..." And his eyes narrowed just a hair. "How do we know you ain't a changeling trying to sneak in somewheres important with us as your permission slip?"
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next