Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sun Sets

+6
RavenscroftRaven
Ramsus
Cardbo
elfowlgirl
Brony 7 of 9
A1C Bronymous
10 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

The Sun Sets - Page 39 Empty Re: The Sun Sets

Post  Cardbo Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:03 am

Bronymous wrote:I assume Storm is flying up the slope?

Her visible melancholy seems to distract her, enough that she doesn't see Storm coming up the slope behind her.

Seeing the huge bird, Storm just stays quiet and tries to listen in on the situation.
Cardbo
Cardbo
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  deonte9109 Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:51 am

"Anything beast want to let Kanen go other than death? Beast must want something, let Kanen and others go?"
Spoiler:
deonte9109
deonte9109
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:11 pm

"Not... really... I don't have much use for anything besides food. Unless you think you have something you can offer me."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:38 pm

Storm coughs. "Excuse me. I think I missed most of the conversation. What seems to be the problem?"
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:54 pm

"Well, I offered this feather-brain the easy life. But clearly it is more obsessed with feeling sorry for itself than improving its station in life. How can somepony help something that doesn't even want to help itself? It is recalcitrant to let us leave though. Oh, yes, it is a mythical beast that can shorthand to Owlicorn, likely because of the spikes on its head and its slight magical aptitude, they haven't existed for a while, this one claims it wasn't summoned in the recent assault though."

Emerald's focus shifts to the Owl.

"I will make it my personal duty to ensure you starve to death should all parties remain here, by keeping any other ponies and even cattle and pigs lured up battle-ready and never to give up. We can't starve, we won't get bored." Emerald declares, and turns her back on the Owl, to nudge the unconscious unicorn. She was no healer, but she could probably do some makeshift magic to mend anything enough to restore him to consciousness to affirm her position, by stimulating his brain directly if need be.

Dice Rolls:
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:11 pm

Storm floats over and checks out the unicorn. "Hmmm."

OOC:Storm's going to check the extent of the unicorn's injuries, first before treating.
Heal + FK(Diagnoses)
Roll(1d20)+15:
18,+15
Total:33

OOC:Do I need two separate rolls here, or can leave it as one for simplicity?
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:02 pm

The term "owlicorn" lights off a spark in Storm's head, and he remembers an encyclopedia page he once read in school:

• Oliscomaur “Owlicorn”- Flying Beast, Carnivore
    The Oliscomaur is a huge, sentient, bird-like creature that will make its home around mountains. It’s nickname, the “Owlicorn” is due to its resemblance to Alicorn with Owl-like features. The head is flat and rounded, like that of an owl, but has a number of long unicorn like horns sprouting from its forehead (usually 3), a wide “grinning” beak, and the males will often have large feathery crests along the top and back of their head and neck. Like most birds and owls in particular, Oliscomaurs have the ability to spin their head almost 360 degrees, and are known to be able to extend their necks to almost triple length when catching prey. Behind the feathered head is a feathered pony-like body. It has four legs- the front legs are thin, and sinewy, with large talons used to grab prey. The back legs are much larger, feathered with much larger talons. The hips and thighs are wide, and the Oliscomaur will often rear up on and stand on these back legs, given balance by its wings. Oliscomaurs have huge bird wings extending from their back like a Pegasus would, and the average wingspan is about 65 ft- or a height to wingspan ratio of 1:2.6, given that the average height (with retracted neck, on all fours) is about 25 ft tall. It has a wide, bird-like tail to complement its features. Some Oliscomaurs will even decorate themselves, using natural ingredients to make clothing or markings, though the significance of such things is uncertain.

Oliscomaurs are sentient, very intelligent, and capable of using magic. They are also solitary predators and will often use their magic to bait and trap prey, rather than actually hunt for it- leading to other nicknames, like “Sirenicorn” or “Harpony”. Common food for an Oliscomaur is anything made of flesh and big enough to be actually considered, or that happens to get caught nearby- Birds, Ponies (especially Pegasi), mountain lions, bears, monsters, etc.

Because all Oliscomaurs, male and female, are fiercely territorial, reproduction is uncommon, and no actual documented evidence of procedure has been found. Many researchers believe that they use the “flyover” method- while the female is gone from the nest, a male will flyover and fertilize the eggs, avoiding confrontation. Others speculate that because Oliscomaurs rarely leave their nest, even to look for food- and that no Oliscomaur Eggs have ever been seen- this is probably not the case, and some manner of self-fertilization or asexual reproduction takes place instead. Another theory is that Oliscomaurs don’t reproduce at all, but have incredibly long lifespans, and possibly even resurrect themselves after dying, similar to Phoenixes.

When he speaks, Koli suddenly becomes aware of his presence. "Oh, another pony? Would you happen to be ready to be eaten, or will you join the conversation? So few of my listeners or their kind have ever bothered to actually have one with me. I'm rather enjoying this."

Meanwhile, checking the unconscious pony, Storm can tell that he's suffering from what appears to be dehydration, but should rouse easily. Emerald can detect little in the way of psychic or magical effects, but there is also a lack of brain function that would normally accompany a coma.

As they do this Koli responds to Emerald's further comments. "I understand your frustration at the situation. But going to the Griffon Kingdom will not serve me any better. My territory is staked here, and moving means intruding on another's. Not to mention, on the few occasions I have left the mountain in the last few thousand years, creatures only flee or attack me, like some kind of base monster." Her neck feathers ruffle. "Do you realize I used to be worshipped as a goddess? Now I'm just a beast. But no matter, I have little use for the comforts others may or may not provide me. I am content here."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Bronymous wrote:
When he speaks, Koli suddenly becomes aware of his presence. "Oh, another pony? Would you happen to be ready to be eaten, or will you join the conversation? So few of my listeners or their kind have ever bothered to actually have one with me. I'm rather enjoying this."

Meanwhile, checking the unconscious pony, Storm can tell that he's suffering from what appears to be dehydration, but should rouse easily. Emerald can detect little in the way of psychic or magical effects, but there is also a lack of brain function that would normally accompany a coma.

As they do this Koli responds to Emerald's further comments. "I understand your frustration at the situation. But going to the Griffon Kingdom will not serve me any better. My territory is staked here, and moving means intruding on another's. Not to mention, on the few occasions I have left the mountain in the last few thousand years, creatures only flee or attack me, like some kind of base monster." Her neck feathers ruffle. "Do you realize I used to be worshipped as a goddess? Now I'm just a beast. But no matter, I have little use for the comforts others may or may not provide me. I am content here."

Storms knocks his cloud over the dehydrated pony and showers some rain into his mouth. "No. I'd prefer to avoid being eaten if at all possible. But let me offer you a possible alternative. I understand you need to eat, and hunting gives you no joy. Have you considered changing yourself into something that doesn't require hunting for nourishment? Dragon perhaps? Or maybe alicorn? Or perhaps something else altogether? For a creature of your arcane ability, such a thing should be easy. Depending on how easy, you could just swap forms whenever you were hungry."

OOC:Persuasion
Roll(1d20)+7:
17,+7
Total:24
An assist roll would be quite appreciated here.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:35 pm

"I do not think its magic is within that purview. Otherwise, it could simply change a rock into a cow. Its magic is likely much closer to mine, though several hundred years behind the times: Lot of raw power, given the size of the net, but not very much eloquence to the technique. If it tried to change into a dragon, it would probably splice itself to the mountain. Besides which, ponies don't attack dragons in flight, which would remove this thing's excuse to feel sorry for itself as it travels." Emerald just sighs. The featherbrain was a pointless creature. A clueless creature despite its delusions...

It probably bought into its own mythology and styles itself a god instead of just another animal. Magic was the great equalizer, its size might be intimidating to some, but those with magic... It was a duel amongst equals. It probably stopped getting tribute at about the same time that formal unicorn education became a thing, when her noble ancestors realized that with their power, they could fight off threats instead of capitulate to them. When prey became unhuntable, when the sea urchin grew spines, its predators went extinct, until new ones that could beat their defenses evolved. This beast, if not summoned (as unlikely as that was) is an artifact of a weaker, less dominant time.

She pitied it. She liked that, to her own surprise. Poor, worthless, time-lost beast, with no point to its existence. At least she had a temporary cause. And that made her feel... good.

Rolls:
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  deonte9109 Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:11 am

Whether it was the overall insanity pressing on his mind or maybe his slow acceptance of what was going on, Kanen had a moment of clarity and calmed down. He looked up at the Owlicorn with a resigned face.
"Koli is it? My name is Kanenhronkaskarònya though Kanen is acceptable if you cannot say the whole thing correctly. Despite the current circumstances, it is a pleasure to meet you. If you do not mind I love to hear tales about you and your kinds exploits. I do not have much experience outside my own village in the forest below and I believe learning from you would be a great honor."
deonte9109
deonte9109
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:26 pm

While Koli's attention is occupied with Storm and Emerald, Dodger takes the time to closely observe her - see if any of Storm's comments provoke any kind of reaction so he can help get the group's attempts at diplomacy on the right track.

Perception Assist: 1d20 (8 ) + 10 = 18
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Ok, let me just pace and resolve all of this real quick.

Storms knocks his cloud over the dehydrated pony and showers some rain into his mouth. "No. I'd prefer to avoid being eaten if at all possible. But let me offer you a possible alternative. I understand you need to eat, and hunting gives you no joy. Have you considered changing yourself into something that doesn't require hunting for nourishment? Dragon perhaps? Or maybe alicorn? Or perhaps something else altogether? For a creature of your arcane ability, such a thing should be easy. Depending on how easy, you could just swap forms whenever you were hungry."
"I do not think its magic is within that purview. Otherwise, it could simply change a rock into a cow. Its magic is likely much closer to mine, though several hundred years behind the times: Lot of raw power, given the size of the net, but not very much eloquence to the technique. If it tried to change into a dragon, it would probably splice itself to the mountain. Besides which, ponies don't attack dragons in flight, which would remove this thing's excuse to feel sorry for itself as it travels."

Koli simply cocks her head. "I have no transformative magic, not like the hive-dwellers. I could make myself look different, but my presence, and my needs would remain. My magic is powerful, but only within its limits. I don't doubt there are some ponies that would perform much better than I could. But it is a good idea. Perhaps we could discuss it more while you all prepare yourselves." Dodger notes that she is still entirely non hostile, and if not outright willing, she is definitely open to other ideas. It seems she doesn't like the current system either.

Whether it was the overall insanity pressing on his mind or maybe his slow acceptance of what was going on, Kanen had a moment of clarity and calmed down. He looked up at the Owlicorn with a resigned face.
"Koli is it? My name is Kanenhronkaskarònya though Kanen is acceptable if you cannot say the whole thing correctly. Despite the current circumstances, it is a pleasure to meet you. If you do not mind I love to hear tales about you and your kinds exploits. I do not have much experience outside my own village in the forest below and I believe learning from you would be a great honor."

"Good to see you've found your tongue, Kanenhronkaskarònya." The telepathic voice pronounces the name flawlessly. "What a comically ridiculous name." Her chiding is not mirrored by her static Owlish visage. "I don't have many legendary exploits, I'm afraid. Mostly just sitting here, awaiting my next meal. Too bad, though. Ages ago, when the sacrifices came, they would make up stories about me, like I had been born from the earth itself, that I would periodically ravage the land if not appeased, the general nonsense. Some of the dances they used to do made me laugh, though." It's obvious that just speaking on the subject has considerably improved her mood. "And the sorcery... ancient witches and warlocks used to be so spectacular, especially the ones that had to fabricate their own magics. They could draw power from so many sources, and create the most incredible implements. If anyone could transform me in the way you suggested, it would be one of them. But they haven't been around for something like 3000 years. Now the only magic users are the Alicorns, unicorns... and, of course, your forest witches."

While she speaks, the water raining onto the unconscious unicorn finally seems to take effect. He sputters and coughs, coming to his senses awakening.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  deonte9109 Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:40 pm

"Only ridiculous to those that do not experience my culture, in my native tongue it means gift of the sky but I won't get into the specifics of my culture. I am however interested in your experience with the Haeksenn, if you do not mind could you tell me anything that might instrumental in fighting them."
deonte9109
deonte9109
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:20 am

"Emerald, do you know of any shapechanging magics or know who would? Koli, do you know of any artifacts that would enable or assist in transformation?

OOC: I'll gladly assist in arcane roll, but my arcane skill isn't so hot.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:52 am

"I'm afraid most of my magic is in the mental areas. I kind of overspecialized, so osteomancy, caromancy, and phantomancy are outside my purview, it shames me to say. I could brute force change myself or maybe some of the landscape with simple talent and raw power, I could easily make somepony believe they were a dragon, but a being's self is hard to actually change from the outside, as the bird says."
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:16 am

"Who tried to drown me?" The unicorn demanded after he cleared his airways of any remaining water. Once he calmed down a little, and began to take stock of the situation he had changed his mind. "Actually, first who are you people? Save the owl, I know her name and what she wants before she knocked me out."
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:43 am

Fury of the Tempest wrote:"Who tried to drown me?" The unicorn demanded after he cleared his airways of any remaining water. Once he calmed down a little, and began to take stock of the situation he had changed his mind. "Actually, first who are you people? Save the owl, I know her name and what she wants before she knocked me out."

"You were quite dehydrated when we found you. You would have died otherwise. Anyway, I'm Dr. Stormeye, and I let the rest introduce themselves."
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:08 pm

"My name is Rough Boulder," said Dodger. "And you?"
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:48 pm

"Gearick, obliviously someone smart enough not to try and give water to a unconscious pony. Any water left? I'm still dehydrated."
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:11 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:"Gearick, obliviously someone smart enough not to try and give water to a unconscious pony. Any water left? I'm still dehydrated."

Storm frowns. "You foal, you were unconscious because you were dehydrated. If I hadn't given you the water, you'd have never woken up. And yes, there is more water."

Storm moves the cloud into position and squeezes it to get the water out.

Last edited by Cardbo on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:24 pm

"Did I swallow?" Gearick challenged, before gulping down the water.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:"Did I swallow?" Gearick challenged, before gulping down the water.

"Yes. Otherwise you wouldn't be talking now."
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:39 pm

"Well, I'll have to thank somebody for making me swallow, as unconscious ponies don't swallow of their own free will."
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Storm rolled his eyes. "Getting back on topic. Do you realize where you are?"
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:05 am

"I'd think a doctor would know if a pony could swallow while unconscious or not. It's not like we're minotaurs, you can still breathe through your nose."
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next