Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sun Sets OOC and info

+9
Masterweaver
RavenscroftRaven
Appkes
elfowlgirl
Ramsus
Cardbo
Brony 7 of 9
Xel Unknown
A1C Bronymous
13 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Sun Sets OOC and info - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sun Sets OOC and info

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:22 pm

Neither am I.
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  elfowlgirl Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:25 pm

The area that seems closest to Cloudsdale that isn't Canterlot or Ponyville is Neighagara Falls.

Or did you guys mean outside of a town?
elfowlgirl
elfowlgirl
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

http://elfowlgirl.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:52 pm

elfowlgirl wrote:The area that seems closest to Cloudsdale that isn't Canterlot or Ponyville is Neighagara Falls.

Or did you guys mean outside of a town?

Our starting location is the Everfree Forest! Smile
Cardbo
Cardbo
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:59 pm

I had meant somewhere outside of a town. The Everfree Forest is also acceptable! =P
Edit: Neighagara Falls doesn't sound bad though. As long as we'll actually go to Cloudsdale later.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  elfowlgirl Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:04 pm

I'm okay with anywhere.
elfowlgirl
elfowlgirl
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:But then I've gotta ask, just to be sure, with how I've reflavored Pinkie's Brew for my Minotaur, I'd only get such "potion" effects, if I set up a Stage Magic style Trick to do some type of assist for myself or an ally, right?

Stage magic, sleight of hand and Illusions all work as flavoring, and you would be gaining (or at least everyone would think you'd be gaining) whatever Talent effect you prepared for, just like if you took the time to prepare a potion. Some of the tricks won't need as much time or prep as the others, depending on what talent you want to do. For example, a self levitation trick would require time to set up, in order to mindfreak. But a simple Echo trick or smokescreen would not.

If you guys go back and read, I said any CITY or TOWN. I am going to have you RP intros, and the idea of the 5 of you randomly appearing in the woods, seeing each other, and saying "Let's all go to Cloudsdale, lol!" is kind of ridiculous. However, I did say you could make up a small town to be in, instead of a canon one, so if you want to do that and be within a day of Cloudsdale, then that would be fine.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:46 pm

Bronymous wrote:
If you guys go back and read, I said any CITY or TOWN. I am going to have you RP intros, and the idea of the 5 of you randomly appearing in the woods, seeing each other, and saying "Let's all go to Cloudsdale, lol!" is kind of ridiculous. However, I did say you could make up a small town to be in, instead of a canon one, so if you want to do that and be within a day of Cloudsdale, then that would be fine.

How about Neighagara Falls, then?
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:55 pm

That would be a week or so walking, since there;'s no train to Cloudsdale. And you guy would still need a town name, since there isn't one listed on the map.

BTW, we're using this map.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Works for me.

Alternately we could make up a small town in the Everfree Forest. =P
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  elfowlgirl Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:58 pm

Actually, the town surrounding the real Niagara Falls is called Niagara Falls.
elfowlgirl
elfowlgirl
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:14 pm

Bronymous wrote:
Xel Unknown wrote:But then I've gotta ask, just to be sure, with how I've reflavored Pinkie's Brew for my Minotaur, I'd only get such "potion" effects, if I set up a Stage Magic style Trick to do some type of assist for myself or an ally, right?

Stage magic, sleight of hand and Illusions all work as flavoring, and you would be gaining (or at least everyone would think you'd be gaining) whatever Talent effect you prepared for, just like if you took the time to prepare a potion. Some of the tricks won't need as much time or prep as the others, depending on what talent you want to do. For example, a self levitation trick would require time to set up, in order to mindfreak. But a simple Echo trick or smokescreen would not.

But, why'd I wanta be wanting to mimic a talent? Cause that'd be just plain dumb and should by all rights be an extreamly hard DC to pull off if allowed. But then again I'm not sure I really understand your logic of Pinkie's Brew the more I think about it...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:36 pm

Well, hopefully I have just solved this dilemma, if you guys would check that thread.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:50 pm

Vanhoover or Manehattan then. Neighara Falls would probably work, as there is a city surrounding Niagra Falls in RL.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:40 pm

Yeah... I don't think I really understand much of anything about your rulings on Pinkie's Brew Bronymous
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:18 am

Is that because it isn't clear, or because you disagree with it?
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:19 am

A bit of both I think... Just... Seems quite weird and odd I guess. Not sure when I'll use Pinkie's Brew that way. After all seems easier to just It's Witchcraft for magic related stuff... And talking of that, would my Freaky Knowledge on "Wand Magic" quifaly to aid in Witchcraft skill checks when used with Chain's wand?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:45 am

Well, two things- First, as a minotaur, you can't have It's Witchcraft. This is why you would have to use Pinkie's Brew- in order to be able to do the things things that you want IW for. Second, PB is incredibly vague, but the one thing it specifically states is that you can only use it to use the effect of a Unicorn Talent (read: Mimic). It doesn't necessarily mean using potions- that was an error on my part, as it can be reflavored, which is what I suggested- your "stage Magic" is just "potions" with different flavor.

I assume your primary take on this is that you can say "I use a Potion" (Zeela) or "I use Stage Magic" (Chain) to right away have an effect that is essentially the effect of using magic. That is almost what this will be, but it will require some forethought or preparation- "potions" or "magic tricks", both need to be setup ahead of time, and therefore require a skill roll to use. This is mostly to separate it from IW and Unicorn spells in general. Ramsus had a decent idea on the PB thread about how it could be reworked, but it's only drawback was that it eliminated that distinction, and basically defeated the purpose of Unicorns as the sole magic users in general.

As for FK Wand Magic... I suppose so. I can reason why it shouldn't work for that, but I think I've limited your character enough based solely on confusion and conjecture.

Edit: I'm certain any more PB issues can be ironed out in practice, so for now we'll go with this. If it proves to be too limiting or whatever, we'll switch it up. I'm going to be busy the next few days, so I'll be less than active on here. I gathered you all want to start in a town by Neighagra Falls, so get a solid name, and we'll probably start Monday.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:12 am

I think we can just have the town be called Neighagra Falls too since that's how it works irl.

And don't blame me for making Unicorns not the sole casters anymore. Whoever made PB in the first place and Stairc making it official caused that. All I've done is replace bad (already official and thus unlikely to be removed entirely) mechanics for doing so with better ones.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:57 pm

Personally I like the idea of other races being able to cast magic... And to me, I think it more works like for Zeela, she either just conventally brewed a potion earlier that may or may not work and the arcana check dedermands if the potion is sill good or not. Or Zeela just quickly brews up a potion right there on the spot that the Arcana check sees how powerful her hastily made potion is.

For Chain Link, he'd mostly does the same thing, but with just a more "stage magic" flavoring with his spells. Might just as simple as him saying Magician Phrases while casting magic with his wand or if he can think up a more cleaver Stage Magic trick to pull off the real magic he tries do that on the spot, and of course the skill check just sees how well the spell/phrase combo worked in calling forth some magic or how well the Magician Trick with real magic was pulled off on the fly. I'd guess the less Magic Trick-ish the spell looks, the easier it is to pull off.

And yeah, I've quite limited him with his skill-set, but that's what I wanted to play as with this Minotaur. Seemed like a fun idea when I was building him. Just like with all of my characters.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:58 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:Personally I like the idea of other races being able to cast magic... And to me, I think it more works like for Zeela, she either just conventally brewed a potion earlier that may or may not work and the arcana check dedermands if the potion is sill good or not. Or Zeela just quickly brews up a potion right there on the spot that the Arcana check sees how powerful her hastily made potion is.

For Chain Link, he'd mostly does the same thing, but with just a more "stage magic" flavoring with his spells. Might just as simple as him saying Magician Phrases while casting magic with his wand or if he can think up a more cleaver Stage Magic trick to pull off the real magic he tries do that on the spot, and of course the skill check just sees how well the spell/phrase combo worked in calling forth some magic or how well the Magician Trick with real magic was pulled off on the fly. I'd guess the less Magic Trick-ish the spell looks, the easier it is to pull off.

Well that what I said I would do... or at least what I meant. That is precisely what I meant this whole time, minus the exposition on how PB works vs IW. So as long as we understand that that's how its going down, then I guess that's settled.

I don't, however, like the idea of any race inherently using magic. It goes against one of the key fundamental concepts of the show. Even if you do buy into the idea of Pegasi using magic to fly (instead of just wings), or EPs having innate magical abilities dealing with nature, those are both still obviously passive racial things. As far as I'm concerned, Unicorns, Alicorns, and on occasion the rare "boss level" enemy can use magic (this of course, is excluding changelings' ability to change).
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:37 pm

And of course you feel it's ok to impose your viewpoint onto everyone who disagrees with you for some reason I will never understand. In your game, sure, that's fine. In every game ever? Bullshit.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:02 am

Alright, but its alright if its YOUR viewpoint that gets imposed on me? There's a word for that, I think, starts with an H...

Of course I'm only talking about MY game, all THIS discussion in THIS thread is about MY game- which is why I keep saying, if OFFICIAL (not you, last time I checked) clarifcation gets set and resolved and put into action, then I will amend myself when it does. Both sides of this are based on individual Head-canon, so when I'm DM, my HC goes. It's obvious that despite miscommunication earlier, both Xel and I are expecting the same thing out of how this gets played out, so your overly tiresome hostility and faux-victimization serves no purpose. If you want to pull a Fury and continue to tell me how my game needs to be run, that's fine, but I'm going to ignore it. Your character has no stake in this. Those who do have come to an agreement, whether you like it or not.

And on a more personal note, Ramsus, I find it rather dissatisfying that, despite the fact that I've been on "your side" many times you've had a dispute with someone, that whenever I have a difference of opinion on even the most mundane of matters, you refuse to let me have and state my own opinion- and whenever I defend it enough, you outright attack me for it. I will not ask you to leave this game, I don't feel that's fair. But since you obviously can't be trusted to be courteous, can I at least assume you can be professional enough in the future so as not to ruin this, or any other game?
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:38 pm

Bronymous wrote:Well that what I said I would do... or at least what I meant. That is precisely what I meant this whole time, minus the exposition on how PB works vs IW. So as long as we understand that that's how its going down, then I guess that's settled.

I don't, however, like the idea of any race inherently using magic. It goes against one of the key fundamental concepts of the show. Even if you do buy into the idea of Pegasi using magic to fly (instead of just wings), or EPs having innate magical abilities dealing with nature, those are both still obviously passive racial things. As far as I'm concerned, Unicorns, Alicorns, and on occasion the rare "boss level" enemy can use magic (this of course, is excluding changelings' ability to change).
Mostly just ask to make sure we're on the same page. And I understand your viewpoint about non-magic races using magic. I feel that NPC's should always follow that type of thing. But player character's I say are different and don't always be all that normal, given the fact I built myself a Zebra/Pegasus in another game and stuff.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:19 am

So after seeing a second DM ragequit due to arguments about game mechanics and Player exploitation of things that, lets be honest, are pretty broken, I'm going to postpone this campaign. Pinkie's Brew and It's Witchcraft are examples of these issues. I'm not calling it off, but I want to wait, say 2 weeks, for official updates and whatnot to go through. Hopefully some issues will have been put to rest, and I'll feel more comfortable running this thing.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Appkes Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:28 am

Waiting for a fix on PB might kill your campaign, I have to say. I'm fairly sure the next update is to items, from what I extracted from his conversations.

Also you appear to be haemorrhaging players. Does this mean that I can think up a character?
Appkes
Appkes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next