Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Build-Your-Own-Race Expansion is live!

+18
SilentBelle
AProcrastinatingWriter
A1C Bronymous
LoganAura
RavenscroftRaven
Masterweaver
Nehiel Mori
Dr Blight
Xel Unknown
Appkes
Fury of the Tempest
tygerburningbright
Greywander
Jason Shadow
XandZero2
Ramsus
elfowlgirl
Stairc -Dan Felder
22 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

New Build-Your-Own-Race Expansion is live! - Page 6 Empty Re: New Build-Your-Own-Race Expansion is live!

Post  Ramsus Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:52 pm

*shrug* I just run spellcasters like that as default anyway. I don't think it makes sense they would be virtually blind to magic when they've likely focused on that until their virtually blind to other things (like social niceties, morals, exercise, etc.)

Edit: So I guess it's nice for non-spellcasters but, I think it could be a bit better.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

New Build-Your-Own-Race Expansion is live! - Page 6 Empty Re: New Build-Your-Own-Race Expansion is live!

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:42 pm

1 point traits are supposed to be more for flavor purposes and/or be highly situational in most respects. Like water-breathing. This trait lets you detect magic with perception instead of arcana, so it's good for the non-knowledge-folks among us.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:57 pm

like the entirety of my Classical disruption team. /joke
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:21 pm

Ok, so but what's up with the identical 3pt/5pt, where the 3pt is more useful?
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:25 pm

It might be because a Magic point for the dm to treat 1 thing as a nat 1 is a little bit much, when compared to other possible uses of the magic point.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Bronymous wrote:Ok, so but what's up with the identical 3pt/5pt, where the 3pt is more useful?

Are you talking about the 3pt one that costs a Magic Point, while the 5pt one is a 1/day? Magic Points are incredibly valuable and heavily rationed. They can activate other magic talents, or just toss a crucial +10 onto any skill check (which means the difference quite often between a devastating skill check failure and a crucial success) The fact that you can use Against the Gods without spending a magic point is a huge advantage.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:28 pm

Yo Dan? You see the Ponified edit? I didn't really do much, but it feels a little more Pony-y to me Smile
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:37 pm

I think it's pretty cool Logan. =)

That's the strength of the system. Everything is meant to be reflavored like crazy.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:50 pm

Yeah, and I'm going to have to edit it once you make my work harder after the rebalancing Razz /kidding.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:51 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
Bronymous wrote:Ok, so but what's up with the identical 3pt/5pt, where the 3pt is more useful?

Are you talking about the 3pt one that costs a Magic Point, while the 5pt one is a 1/day? Magic Points are incredibly valuable and heavily rationed. They can activate other magic talents, or just toss a crucial +10 onto any skill check (which means the difference quite often between a devastating skill check failure and a crucial success) The fact that you can use Against the Gods without spending a magic point is a huge advantage.

I meant specifically how the 3/pt can be (maybe not will but can be) used more than once a day. There are enough traits and talents that let you have more than one magic point a day. So if one were to take Derp, say, then that's probably one use of the effect, with 1 magic point remaining. That means that this combination gives you the equivalent of the 5 pt trait for 3, opening a slot for another 2 pt trait. Hence, the 3 pt seems to be more useful.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:55 pm

Bronymous wrote:
I meant specifically how the 3/pt can be (maybe not will but can be) used more than once a day. There are enough traits and talents that let you have more than one magic point a day. So if one were to take Derp, say, then that's probably one use of the effect, with 1 magic point remaining. That means that this combination gives you the equivalent of the 5 pt trait for 3, opening a slot for another 2 pt trait. Hence, the 3 pt seems to be more useful.

What you're not factoring in is the opportunity-cost of spending those magic points.

Let's say someone offers you 1 house for free, and another person offers to let you but as houses as you want for full price each.

That's the difference. Yep, you can get more than one magic point. But those magic points can be spent on lots of things. This can be used for free once a day. That makes it significantly more powerful, as you don't need to give up activating your element, another magic talent or handing someone else +10 to a skill check.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:56 pm

Or even needing to add the risk of crit failin on 2 and 3 as well as 1...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:44 pm

Also, any idea on the whole thought of having the gendic engenering be a pure 8 point system? Cause that'd make a lot of things a lot easier you know...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:Also, any idea on the whole thought of having the gendic engenering be a pure 8 point system? Cause that'd make a lot of things a lot easier you know...
What's a pure 8 point system?

If it merely means you get to spend 8 points instead of 6, I don't see how that would make it easier...
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:49 pm

Considering it heavily. I like it when everyone has a cutie mark/expert skill, it leads to great gameplay and rounds out the skill section, but I could definitely see letting people get rid of it for 2 trait points.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:49 pm

It makes it easier because it means we don't have to nerf (at least as much) a lot of races and most everyone who should have them has the points to spare for a cutie mark and still have a decent amount of other racial traits but also races who wouldn't (or don't want?) a cutie mark can spend the points elsewhere.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:53 pm

How about making it 6 and a cutie mark, and a +2 trait point Racial that says something like "Blank Flank"?
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:55 pm

That's basically the same as just saying 8 but arbitrarily more complex.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:59 pm

Sorry, I just want a reference to blank flanks >_>
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Also, maybe we should add a 5 point talent that'd be upgrade to flight? So that race would start off at -5 penalty or something, could be interesting.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:04 pm

You mean flight school
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:12 pm

I'm meaning having a gene(?) to have one's race start off at flight school. I mean we so far got a (1) point for the -15 one and a (3) for basic flight... Figure getting a (5) to start off with flight school would be quite cool.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Appkes Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:32 pm

What I dislike about this system is that many 'racial' traits are just Utilities but slapped on. Not talking about Nightwatch and so on, but rather stuff like Alter Ego. Every member of you race just happens to have a magic alter ego they can become at will?

No way hosé.

Remember to not just make racials three more Utilies.
Appkes
Appkes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:34 pm

Appkes brings up a very good point. A good deal of these racial talents need to have something to set themselves apart from normal utilities.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:57 pm

A for Appkes wrote:What I dislike about this system is that many 'racial' traits are just Utilities but slapped on. Not talking about Nightwatch and so on, but rather stuff like Alter Ego. Every member of you race just happens to have a magic alter ego they can become at will?

No way hosé.

It's well established for such creatures as Kitsunes. Furthermore, it works for things like changelings or any shapeshifter, just not the strongest version of that race.

Utilities affect non-combat abilities. Racial traits effect non-combat abilities. It is inevitable there will be overlap because they both do the same thing. However, some races have inborn abilities that makes sense for them. You don't need to take Alter Ego for any race it doesn't make sense for.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next