Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+35
Pingcode
Lyntermas
Lifeforce
Fury of the Tempest
Yawnmon
Z2
Azureink
sunbeam
Doc pseudopolis
A1C Bronymous
Kindulas
Nehiel Mori
Dr Blight
Grey Pen The Flawed
Videocrazy
Hayatecooper
The Warrior of Many Faces
Cardbo
Caden2112
Philadelphus
Whiteeyes
RavenscroftRaven
elfowlgirl
LoganAura
Paper Shadow
Appkes
SilentBelle
tygerburningbright
thematthew
Xel Unknown
Jason Shadow
Zarhon
AProcrastinatingWriter
Ramsus
Stairc -Dan Felder
39 posters

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Dr Blight Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:09 am

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
Dr Blight wrote:How would syphon life trigger vulnerability more than once?
It doesn't. But if the amount of life you gained was equal to the amount of damage dealt, including modifiers like vulnerability, vulnerability would boost both the damage dealt AND the life gain - getting double the bang for your buck and making the talent unbalanced.
Isn't that the point of vulnerability? Getting more bang for your buck? The average roll on a 1d8 is 4 right? 4 damage and 4hp is pretty lousy. If a player can find a way to boost that ability to be more helpful, why would you punish them for that ingenuity?

Even if we say the target has vulnerability 5. 9 damage and 9hp doesn't seem game-breaking to me.
Dr Blight
Dr Blight
Best Pony
Best Pony

http://askdarknebula.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  thematthew Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:11 am

For example: Wild Abandon, Where It Hurts, Midnight's Blade, Lash Out, and Royal Command.

Just to name 5.

A further note: There is NO average roll on a single die. End of story. This is a statistical fallacy that I'm really tired of hearing. On 2d8 the average roll is 9 because there are 8 options that combine to 9, and fewer that combine to any other number. There are 8 options on 1d8, they all have an equal probability of occurring.

I'm sorry if this sounds angry, but I studied math for 4 years. Stochastics was a living hell for me, but it taught me a lot that I apply in my game design goals.

Last edited by thematthew on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:14 am

Ok, that was more ways then I thought there were to boost damage... Dam... Yeah... Now I can't deny it anymore. Headshot is totally 100% broken as is. Please change?

I suggest someway to limit the damage boost? Like it can't double damage to over 20 total? That way it doesn't totally suck and still isn't borken?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:21 am

And then there are the combat traits where you start doing crazy one turn 1.

Edit: I'd really just say the fix would be specifying it only doubles the die rolled for Headshot itself.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:32 am

Ok... I'm going to agree with you there Ramsus that would be an easy non-complex fix.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:39 am

Nehiel Mori's name being bold on EVERYTHING is new right? Because it really sticks out and I hope I'm not going insane and it was there all along and it only struck me as looking off today.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:02 am

Ramsus wrote:Again, the issue isn't Meditate. Doubling all damage is always going to be broken. No matter what.

[-20] Double Damage That Isn't Broken - Standard Utility
You deal double damage on your next attack.

Might want to reconsider such absolutist statements. Wink

Obviously, this talent isn't broken. In fact, it's hilariously underpowered. That's one of the beauties of this system, there's ways to balance *anything*.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:03 am

Ramsus wrote:Again, the issue isn't Meditate. Doubling all damage is always going to be broken. No matter what.

[-20] Double Damage That Isn't Broken - Standard Utility
You deal double damage on your next attack.

Might want to reconsider such absolutist statements. Wink

Obviously, this talent isn't broken. In fact, it's hilariously underpowered. That's one of the beauties of this system, there's ways to balance *anything*.

I am going to spend the weekend trying to break this now.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:05 am

*laughs* You would! I know exactly how you feel. In MTG, I'm a total Johnny/Spike. I love winning with crazy homemade decks from silly things.

If you pull it off, I'll give you a special "I Broke the Unbreakable" title. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:06 am

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:*laughs* You would! I know exactly how you feel. In MTG, I'm a total Johnny/Spike. I love winning with crazy homemade decks from silly things.

If you pull it off, I'll give you a special "I Broke the Unbreakable" title. =)

I have broken Magosi the Waterfall in MTG, I can break this.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:08 am

I challenge that. How on earth did you break Magosi? And by break, I don't mean "did something cool with" I mean, "did something unfairly good with that is far and away better than comparative options".

EDIT - Oh, and yes. Nehiel is a moderator now. Makes sense, as he's a designer and everything.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:12 am

Could Guarded Stance work like Perfect Focus and gain a pip if not attacked? Or would that be unfair?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:12 am

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:I challenge that. How on earth did you break Magosi? And by break, I don't mean "did something cool with" I mean, "did something unfairly good with that is far and away better than comparative options".

Magosi the Waterfall, Rings of Brighthearth, Earthcraft. All you need to operate this into infinite turns to death is a way to deal damage each turn, 2 mana, and 2 creatures.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:13 am

Xel Unknown wrote:Could Guarded Stance work like Perfect Focus and gain a pip if not attacked? Or would that be unfair?

Unfair. Perfect Focus is borderline overpowered as it is. =)

EDIT - Okay, let me see if I'm following. First you spend turn 1 playing a creature. Turn 2 you play a creature and magosi. Turn 3 you play earthcraft, untap and play rings. Turn 4 you can start doing things.

I assume that the combo is to play magosi each turn, untap it with a creature, spend a mana to put the counter on it (skipping your next turn) and untap it with another creature, then tap it to remove the counter and copy the turn-gain off Rings of Brighthearth. This seems a lot more fragile than just using two Amulet of Vigor (and requires less combo pieces) but at least creatures are good for more than one purpose. Either way that's 3 cards that really don't do much on their own (earcraft does mana acceleration at least, but it won't help the deck's combo plan by either ensuring consistency or protecting the rest of the combo so it might as well do nothing on its own unless you include a B plan in the deck, which doesn't help break Magosi on its own) plus 2 creatures... Which is actually kinda what most combo casual decks do anyways. I mean, Bloom Tender + Freed From The Real is an infinite mana combo and both those cards are useful on their own (Bloom Tender efficiently accelerates mana and Freed From The Real can work as removal if need be).

The combo with Magosi is definitely fun, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't at all say it's broken. Just cool. =)

Last edited by Stairc -Dan Felder on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:25 am

Ramsus wrote:Nehiel Mori's name being bold on EVERYTHING is new right? Because it really sticks out and I hope I'm not going insane and it was there all along and it only struck me as looking off today.
I haven't seen it until today too... You not alone.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:29 am

It still looks weird though. It seems like it's telling us "Admins, Moderators, and Nehiel Mori". Like he's something that isn't either of the other two and is more important.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:34 am

Strange. I'll look into it at some point.

Btw thematthew, edited in a discussion of the Magosi combo. Cool
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:38 am

Xel Unknown wrote:Could Guarded Stance work like Perfect Focus and gain a pip if not attacked? Or would that be unfair?

Unfair. Perfect Focus is borderline overpowered as it is. =)

EDIT - Okay, let me see if I'm following. First you spend turn 1 playing a creature. Turn 2 you play a creature and magosi. Turn 3 you play earthcraft, untap and play rings. Turn 4 you can start doing things.

I assume that the combo is to play magosi each turn, untap it with a creature, spend a mana to put the counter on it (skipping your next turn) and untap it with another creature, then tap it to remove the counter and copy the turn-gain off Rings of Brighthearth. This seems a lot more fragile than just using two Amulet of Vigor (and requires less combo pieces) but at least creatures are good for more than one purpose. Either way that's 3 cards that really don't do much on their own (earcraft does mana acceleration at least, but it won't help the deck's combo plan by either ensuring consistency or protecting the rest of the combo so it might as well do nothing on its own unless you include a B plan in the deck, which doesn't help break Magosi on its own) plus 2 creatures... Which is actually kinda what most combo casual decks do anyways. I mean, Bloom Tender + Freed From The Real is an infinite mana combo and both those cards are useful on their own (Bloom Tender efficiently accelerates mana and Freed From The Real can work as removal if need be).

The combo with Magosi is definitely fun, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't at all say it's broken. Just cool. =)

I'm not saying that it is the most broken combo out there, but the fact is that if you have an infinite turn combo your opponent has to both #1 see it, and #2 be able to deal with it before it goes off. Because once it goes off you have won the game if they can't deal with it. Put simply, in MTG infinite turns is broken, since one of you will lose at the end of it and the opponent has no real say in which.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:32 am

So with Fate-Sealed Mirror - 1000 Gold
Trinket
Once per battle, you may use the following combat talent.
[0] Fate Exchange - Free Action [1/Battle]
You and target willing ally exchange hp totals.

Does that mean I can have a 30 hp Spectral Warden - 1 HP
Trait - Guardian
When a Spectral Warden is conjured, its conjurer chooses one creature for the Spectral
Warden to guard. The chosen creature cannot be attacked..
[0] Talent - Warden’s Boon
The Spectral Warden grants you or target ally 1d8 HP

?
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:36 am

Willing Ally implies a fellow player... I think.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:38 am

Ally - An ally is a companion of the user or a creature currently significantly contributing to your
goals, such as a non-player character aiding you in combat or perhaps one that you’ve dominated
(if you wish to consider it your ally, though in this case you do not have to). Sadly, you are not
your own ally - so powers that affect, “all allies” will not affect you as well.

Since you control it, it is willing if you think so. Hell, if you combine it with the staff of domination there is an argument for stealing the big bad solo's hp.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:49 am

Sadly, the Spectral Warden's HP is its max HP - the same as yours being 30 - so the extra HP would fall off. Shame, because that'd be really cool... But it would break things if you could get around max HP in certain ways.

@thematthew
Ah, I see. I've done a lot of competitive deck design, so I'm more used to thinking of "broken" as, "unfairly powerful". Since that combo isn't at all intimidating to play against with just about any average casual deck - I don't consider it broken. Sure, it's nigh-unbeatable once you get it off; but it's *really* hard to get off reliably compared to other options that are just as likely to win you the game. But... This isn't a place for MTG deck design sadly. If you want to chat more about decks, feel free to PM me. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:33 am

Ramsus wrote:It still looks weird though. It seems like it's telling us "Admins, Moderators, and Nehiel Mori". Like he's something that isn't either of the other two and is more important.

Its because I'm vain and have an irrational need to be loved.

Kinda like Rainbow Dash in "Rainbow Dash Presents: Captain Hook the Biker Gorilla."
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:09 am

Nehiel Mori wrote:
Ramsus wrote:It still looks weird though. It seems like it's telling us "Admins, Moderators, and Nehiel Mori". Like he's something that isn't either of the other two and is more important.

Its because I'm vain and have an irrational need to be loved.

Kinda like Rainbow Dash in "Rainbow Dash Presents: Captain Hook the Biker Gorilla."

Or it could be a case of this trope.

Regarding Hurricane Blade, it seems a bit broken against solo monsters, as it allows an infinite loop of damaging the enemy and preventing damage to yourself:

- With a +3 pip booster, you can summon the blade at turn 2.
- You're very likely become first in initiative thanks to its trait.
- Each round, you gain 3 PiPs (+2 from standard action, +1 from minor action), deal 2 damage to a creature, as well as goofing around with the enemy initiative order as you please.
- Typhoon Parry prevents any non-aoe damage and deals 1d10 in return, costing only 2 PiPs.
- After a few rounds, the buildup of PiPs allows you to use Gale for a lot of damage, or Call of the North Wind for damage+skipping an enemies turn.
- The process repeats until the monster dies.

The only real counter to this, with a solo monster, is non-damaging status effects that will stop/prevent the execution of the loop (like stuns, domination, dazing) or AOE / indirect damage via targeting allies, that won't trigger Typhoon Parry. If the solo monster can't do this, the player literally wins by war of attrition/Death of a thousand cuts. Combat items can further boost the useability of it by increasing survivability from stray attacks (e.g. regeneration armor, resist armor, anything that prevents damage...).

Is the infinite loop intended?

Also, in regards to blowback, what does "rearrange the order of all enemies" refer to? Their order amongst each other (e.g. swapping the spot of monster 1 with monster 2), or the order in initiative (allowing you to place all the monsters last in initiative order, after all the players)?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:41 am

Why has Judo Throw in the Equine Power Doc been edited to -8 pips?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next