Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+35
Pingcode
Lyntermas
Lifeforce
Fury of the Tempest
Yawnmon
Z2
Azureink
sunbeam
Doc pseudopolis
A1C Bronymous
Kindulas
Nehiel Mori
Dr Blight
Grey Pen The Flawed
Videocrazy
Hayatecooper
The Warrior of Many Faces
Cardbo
Caden2112
Philadelphus
Whiteeyes
RavenscroftRaven
elfowlgirl
LoganAura
Paper Shadow
Appkes
SilentBelle
tygerburningbright
thematthew
Xel Unknown
Jason Shadow
Zarhon
AProcrastinatingWriter
Ramsus
Stairc -Dan Felder
39 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 11 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  SilentBelle Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:21 am

Xel Unknown wrote:Why has Judo Throw in the Equine Power Doc been edited to -8 pips?

Sure was Very Happy And about time to, that move gave my monsters some serious headaches Razz
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 11 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:24 am

Also wondering why it's not been a change noted somewhere else and why the Living Legends doc hasn't had it edited yet.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:45 pm

Yeah, it'd be nice if we were given a list of at least what previously existing stuff had been changed. It's a little hard to comply with changes you don't know were made.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Grey Pen wrote: So I would like to print out the Pony Tales system into a binder for Christmas this year, so that my players don't need a working computer to reference the rules, or build a character, etc. And then it occurred to me that I might as well print the expansions too. And then I thought I'd go ahead and draft them right into the main book, instead of having several books.

And then I realized two things. One, my computer doesn't get along with Google Docs. Oh sure, I can whip up a character sheet, but not much more.

And two, I would have to change it every time there was some new expansion; not for me necessarily, but for everyone else who'd want such a thing.

So, what I'm wondering is whether Dan is interested in making such a thing; a Google Docs file with all the expansions plugged right in, instead of merely linked to.

Still wonderin'... Or did I miss my answer?
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:32 pm

Did everybody decide to ignore my previous question I asked earlier, in regards to Judo Throw? Crying or Very sad

SilentBelle wrote:
Xel Unknown wrote:Why has Judo Throw in the Equine Power Doc been edited to -8 pips?

Sure was Very Happy And about time to, that move gave my monsters some serious headaches Razz

Problem with the cost increase is that there is virtually no reason to ever justify using the talent as anything other than an attack, ever. It had that problem before the PiP increase as well, but this just put the nails on the coffin. Even if you have 8 PiPs to spend to save an ally by targeting them, it's recently-reworded duration can't guarantee their safety (e.g. if they're right after you, they return to combat almost immediately).

And for some reason, Judo Throw is now actually inferior (in effects, not damage) to that of the "Call of the North Wind", granted from the Hurricane Blade.

The talent's cost fits its use as an attack, but NOT for its alternate, no-damage use. So here is my proposition for the talent:

Judo Throw Revamp:
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:02 pm

I'd also like a ruling on stacking Save Ends with Save Ends All, and if S.E.A. is a poison that kills debuff builds.
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:08 pm

"so you can shield one ally, and then keep puttign a warden infrotn of a wardeen to keep that one ally safe, and stockpile the 1d8 healings"

I want to ask if that is possible. It doesn't seem like it should be.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:11 pm

LoganAura wrote:"so you can shield one ally, and then keep puttign a warden infrotn of a wardeen to keep that one ally safe, and stockpile the 1d8 healings"

I want to ask if that is possible. It doesn't seem like it should be.
By strict definition of "ally", it is. However, one area effect smash will destroy your chains of defense.
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:00 pm

Be Prepared
12: Target creature gains Resist 4d8 until the end of your next turn. In addition, until the end of the encounter you and up to six allies may use any combat talent that you possess - even if you did not select it for this battle.

Does that bolded you mean 'the user of the special' or 'the ally'
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:02 pm

LoganAura wrote:Be Prepared
12: Target creature gains Resist 4d8 until the end of your next turn. In addition, until the end of the encounter you and up to six allies may use any combat talent that you possess - even if you did not select it for this battle.

Does that bolded you mean 'the user of the special' or 'the ally'

I imagine allies would not be able to use your combat talents Smile
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:05 pm

The wording was awkward and it got brought up in a conversation on skype. wanted te official oppinion.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:32 pm

If it's "rule of cool" that's defining the specials (like with Assassins Gambit), granting everyone your own abilities would fit the bill. Cool
Makes it work better with "dangerous"/"talented"/"dangerously talented" as well.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:06 pm

SilentBelle wrote:

This is why. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:11 pm

What about Zarhon's suggestion?

Zarhon wrote:Did everybody decide to ignore my previous question I asked earlier, in regards to Judo Throw? Crying or Very sad

SilentBelle wrote:

Problem with the cost increase is that there is virtually no reason to ever justify using the talent as anything other than an attack, ever. It had that problem before the PiP increase as well, but this just put the nails on the coffin. Even if you have 8 PiPs to spend to save an ally by targeting them, it's recently-reworded duration can't guarantee their safety (e.g. if they're right after you, they return to combat almost immediately).

And for some reason, Judo Throw is now actually inferior (in effects, not damage) to that of the "Call of the North Wind", granted from the Hurricane Blade.

The talent's cost fits its use as an attack, but NOT for its alternate, no-damage use. So here is my proposition for the talent:

Judo Throw Revamp:
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:21 pm

Grey Pen wrote:
Still wonderin'... Or did I miss my answer?

Think you missed your answer. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:43 am

Zarhon wrote:
Nehiel Mori wrote:
Ramsus wrote:It still looks weird though. It seems like it's telling us "Admins, Moderators, and Nehiel Mori". Like he's something that isn't either of the other two and is more important.

Its because I'm vain and have an irrational need to be loved.

Kinda like Rainbow Dash in "Rainbow Dash Presents: Captain Hook the Biker Gorilla."

Or it could be a case of this trope.

Regarding Hurricane Blade, it seems a bit broken against solo monsters, as it allows an infinite loop of damaging the enemy and preventing damage to yourself:

- With a +3 pip booster, you can summon the blade at turn 2.
- You're very likely become first in initiative thanks to its trait.
- Each round, you gain 3 PiPs (+2 from standard action, +1 from minor action), deal 2 damage to a creature, as well as goofing around with the enemy initiative order as you please.
- Typhoon Parry prevents any non-aoe damage and deals 1d10 in return, costing only 2 PiPs.
- After a few rounds, the buildup of PiPs allows you to use Gale for a lot of damage, or Call of the North Wind for damage+skipping an enemies turn.
- The process repeats until the monster dies.

The only real counter to this, with a solo monster, is non-damaging status effects that will stop/prevent the execution of the loop (like stuns, domination, dazing) or AOE / indirect damage via targeting allies, that won't trigger Typhoon Parry. If the solo monster can't do this, the player literally wins by war of attrition/Death of a thousand cuts. Combat items can further boost the useability of it by increasing survivability from stray attacks (e.g. regeneration armor, resist armor, anything that prevents damage...).

Is the infinite loop intended?

Also, in regards to blowback, what does "rearrange the order of all enemies" refer to? Their order amongst each other (e.g. swapping the spot of monster 1 with monster 2), or the order in initiative (allowing you to place all the monsters last in initiative order, after all the players)?
I can answer the last one, it reffers to order by who's adjacent to who.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:46 am

Zarhon wrote:If it's "rule of cool" that's defining the specials (like with Assassins Gambit), granting everyone your own abilities would fit the bill. Cool
Makes it work better with "dangerous"/"talented"/"dangerously talented" as well.
Dan can override me, but I'm ruling in favor of "cool"

In most systems, you'd have the problem of class based powers, but here you can put any two powers on the same character anyway
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:53 am

Ok, so if I use Changeling's Trickery (5) to be a different race, it lets me use a different set of racial traits to go along with it. However, some traits affect your skill points, trained skills, even talents. For those kinds of traits, does this function as an on/off switch?

This is what I want to do, specifically: Two races; Race 1 cannot fly, but has Changeling's Trickery. Race 2 can fly, and also has Naturally Skilled, with Flight School as the bonus Utility. If I change from Race 1 into Race 2, do I get the Bonus Flight School Utility, and then lose it upon resuming Race 1 again?

Also, unrelated, can you take the same Trait twice? Like 2 Naturally Skilled to get two bonus talents?
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:59 am

How do the "Crescendo" attacks interact with vulnerability/resist, if multiple attacks are used on the same creature? Does each attack get boosted/reduced individually, or is it applied only once (for the sum of the damage)?

Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:28 pm

Zarhon wrote:How do the "Crescendo" attacks interact with vulnerability/resist, if multiple attacks are used on the same creature? Does each attack get boosted/reduced individually, or is it applied only once (for the sum of the damage)?

Each attack gets boosted/resisted.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:17 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
Zarhon wrote:How do the "Crescendo" attacks interact with vulnerability/resist, if multiple attacks are used on the same creature? Does each attack get boosted/reduced individually, or is it applied only once (for the sum of the damage)?

Each attack gets boosted/resisted.
Wild Abandon suddenly on anyone's to-abuse list?
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:24 pm

I'm still focused on making myself unkillable with Form of the Reaper and the appropriate items/traits. Cool
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:31 pm

Bronymous wrote:This is what I want to do, specifically: Two races; Race 1 cannot fly, but has Changeling's Trickery. Race 2 can fly, and also has Naturally Skilled, with Flight School as the bonus Utility. If I change from Race 1 into Race 2, do I get the Bonus Flight School Utility, and then lose it upon resuming Race 1 again?

Also, unrelated, can you take the same Trait twice? Like 2 Naturally Skilled to get two bonus talents?

Bump. Were they not simple enough questions for this thread.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:38 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:I'm still focused on making myself unkillable with Form of the Reaper and the appropriate items/traits. Cool
I still like stacking damage boosts + triggering them as much as possible. Or using standard actions for defense and minors for the damage. Of course, that's more fun when you have a board to down your move into a minor.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:59 pm

Bronymous wrote:
Bronymous wrote:This is what I want to do, specifically: Two races; Race 1 cannot fly, but has Changeling's Trickery. Race 2 can fly, and also has Naturally Skilled, with Flight School as the bonus Utility. If I change from Race 1 into Race 2, do I get the Bonus Flight School Utility, and then lose it upon resuming Race 1 again?

Bump. Were they not simple enough questions for this thread.
Sorry, it's simple enough there's just considerable backlog. That's why Dan brought more help.

As a note, everyone feel free to bump like this, helps me know what still needs to be addressed since I just got here.

Now, first question, if you no longer have Naturally Skilled, you don't have the utility from it. So yeah, you'd lose it.

Anyway for the second question, in cases like this were things can stack - train another skill, get another talent, Freaky Knowledge - go ahead. Feel free to list them as a single talent - Working on Kitsune for Living Legends we combined two instances of the extra training into the two point "Fox's Cunning" for both stealth and persuasion.
You can not, however, stack something like Spider Climb to get +30, or Terrify to use it 2/day.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next