Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Element Concept: Element of Inspiration

2 posters

Go down

Element Concept: Element of Inspiration Empty Element Concept: Element of Inspiration

Post  ZamuelNow Sun May 05, 2013 3:08 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to put this. Move elsewhere if needed.

Was thinking of the Elements of Harmony and specific ones that are "missing". I believe it was mentioned in Q&A and a few box descriptions that Cadance (or Cadance + Shining Armor) was supposed to be the Element of Love. While she doesn't have a shiny jewelry weapon, it does seem very fitting. Was contemplating how to translate that to game terms and it felt surprisingly difficult. Most concepts for Love felt like they were stepping on the toes of Generosity or Kindness. I've seen a few others work on concepts for Love as well with varied results.

Then I got to thinking about how the staff originally planned to make Rarity the Element of Inspiration before they made her Generosity and well..."I-DEE-A!" Seems like that fits a much more different concept of gameplay ability. So, it seemed like it would work best as:

Element of Inspiration
One of your or an ally's talents may be performed with half the preparation time.

Relatively simple concept. At times it would be situational but it increases in usefulness the longer the base prep time a utility talent has.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Element Concept: Element of Inspiration Empty Re: Element Concept: Element of Inspiration

Post  kajisora Sun May 05, 2013 5:44 pm

An element of love seems to me like an effect that should be shared between two or more characters, kinda like the dynamic duo destiny
First thing that popped into my mind was "use a utility talent that another member of your party posesses", but then there is no reason to pick Love over Magic.
How about this:
Love:
You and one of your allies each pick a utility talent. For the day, both of you gains access to both these talents

Prep time reduction for Inspiration seems cool, but might be a little weak: most games I've played in, the DM's seem to ignore prep time, unless there is very little time available (sayyy there's a bull charging at you).
Using it to make abilities Instantaneous might be better. You could also use it to recharge the uses on a talent instead.

Or, if you really want Inspiration to be fundamentally different from the other elements how about this:
You create a number of effects, each of them relatively weak and are not reflected in the available utility talents (such as the prep time reduction), but each of them very useful in a limited set of circumstances.
Upon activating Inspiration, the user chooses one of these effects. That way you can have a very versatile Element (as much so as Magic, but in a different way), without it neccesarily being OP.
kajisora
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Element Concept: Element of Inspiration Empty Re: Element Concept: Element of Inspiration

Post  ZamuelNow Sun May 05, 2013 6:48 pm

Making something Instantaneous is probably better, I was just concerned about strength. Then again, it makes things more consistent and helps those snap moments when you do need something right that moment.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora Sun May 05, 2013 7:42 pm

It does still leave the question of how it would interfere with the magecraft preparation times:
The DC's on magecraft are significantly lowered IF you're prepared to take a long prep time.
Then again, the max bonus of that is +10 (for a whole day), same as if you'd directly add a magic point.
So as long as DM's don't allow infinite preparation times, it shouldn't be an issue.
kajisora
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down