Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playing In The Sandbox (Recruitment, Info, And OOC)

+7
Brony 7 of 9
Fury of the Tempest
Demonu
Lyntermas
Ramsus
A1C Bronymous
Xel Unknown
11 posters

Page 2 of 37 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 37  Next

Go down

Playing In The Sandbox (Recruitment, Info, And OOC) - Page 2 Empty Re: Playing In The Sandbox (Recruitment, Info, And OOC)

Post  Ramsus Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:25 am

Don't worry about it. If you really like those ones more, it's fine. Last I checked Lynt hadn't even looked over all the races yet anyway.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Playing In The Sandbox (Recruitment, Info, And OOC) - Page 2 Empty Re: Playing In The Sandbox (Recruitment, Info, And OOC)

Post  Demonu Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:53 am

Think I'm going to go with a Thri-kreen alchemist with a profession of antique dealer and a side-hobby of collecting artifacts for himself.

SPACE RESERVED FOR CHARACTER SHEET.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:31 am

I assume by alchemist you mean Artificer?
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:34 am

Lesser races means dealing with oppression and diminished social status.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:42 am

Ramsus wrote:I assume by alchemist you mean Artificer?
If I mean Artificer, wouldn't I have typed Artificer?

I'm taking my idea from the 3.5 Alchemist class. Unless that idea got molded into the 4e Artificer class but for that I'll have to check in on my other laptop for varification.

EDIT: just took a look at the Artificer class. Has some ideas but don't see anything mentioned about creating/crafting potions or other Alchemist related abilities.

EDIT 2: If we're staying purely with 4e, Artificer might be the most appropriate option. Also going to readjust my ability scores then.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:10 am

Heh, don't worry about what the stats for the class is supposed to be, just give your character the stats you want, attack rolls aren't going to be modified by stats anyway. Alchemist, Artificer, doesn't really make much of a difference. Does make the profession and hobby at least work with your class a bit more if you know how to tinker with things though. You can still focus on the alchemy flavor though. He can still call himself an alchemist of course. It's not like people in setting actually run around calling each other by their class. They might use those words of sometimes of course.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:16 am

Ramsus wrote:Heh, don't worry about what the stats for the class is supposed to be, just give your character the stats you want, attack rolls aren't going to be modified by stats anyway. Alchemist, Artificer, doesn't really make much of a difference. Does make the profession and hobby at least work with your class a bit more if you know how to tinker with things though. You can still focus on the alchemy flavor though. He can still call himself an alchemist of course. It's not like people in setting actually run around calling each other by their class. They might use those words of sometimes of course.
He buys, sells and collects artifacts. He does not tinker with them, other than using them for their intended purposes.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:35 am

Surely he'd have knowledge of how they work though and could use them if needed? Also, what role does being an alchemist have in his life? It's not like your class can be a totally unimportant sidenote to your life.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:51 am

Surely he'd have knowledge of how they work though and could use them if needed?
-->
He does not tinker with them, other than using them for their intended purposes.

Also, what role does being an alchemist have in his life? It's not like your class can be a totally unimportant sidenote to your life.
Alchemist by choice, Artificer by trade. I'm working out his backstory so lay off the questions until I get it up here please.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:04 am

lol ok.

I'm not sure how not "tinkering" with them will work though, unless he never has to fix things that people bring in or that just end up needing repairs for one reason or the other. Of course it is entirely possible depending on what your backstory is like that he does just have other people do that kind of stuff for him. *shrug*
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:13 am

Ramsus wrote:lol ok.

I'm not sure how not "tinkering" with them will work though, unless he never has to fix things that people bring in or that just end up needing repairs for one reason or the other. Of course it is entirely possible depending on what your backstory is like that he does just have other people do that kind of stuff for him. *shrug*
Seems like you don't know what an antique dealer does. He just buys and sells artifacts and objects, he does not repair them. There are other people out there to do such a thing. In RL, if you go to an antique dealer with a broken table and wanting it to be repaired/sold/both, you'll get laughed at and shown the door.

And why would he tinker with something he would know the purpose of? You also don't seem to have the notion of how a collector thinks. If you collect stamps, you're not going to tinker with/use them. If you have a basketball signed by Micheal Jordan, you're not going to use it down at the park. If you have a sword of 500+ years old, you're going to display that in a glass case behind security.

But if you have a 500+ years old sword that can cut through anything like butter, that's a different story. Especially in a setting that encourages swordfighting. But you're not melting it to form something else for instance. Or try to put gems on it to make it fancier.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:20 am

*sigh* Well that was rude. I'll just wait till you finish your ideas before I say anything more.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:26 am

Ramsus wrote:*sigh* Well that was rude. I'll just wait till you finish your ideas before I say anything more.
Well, being blunt about it seems to be the only way for you to see it from a different perspective other than your own. Or so it would appear to be.

Anyway, is there some kind of central hub or city in this setting? Because my character will have a shop or at least work in one and I need to cover all my bases. You said you don't have names for cities yet but I can fill that in afterwards.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:39 am

Well, there is at least one that would probably come close to being a hub at least. It might not be the only one. I'll try and draw a map on paper some time tomorrow to at least figure out the answer to these rather simple questions.

I think it's more likely you work in one. If you own a shop at the start of the game, it'd take some doing to get you to start doing adventurer type stuff. Also, I don't want to start you off with way more wealth than a low level character should have. Still, you could own one or perhaps share ownership as long as you come up with reasons for why you aren't so well off that you'd scoff at the idea of doing the stuff adventurers do. Or you could be very well off and be asking for me to mess with you as soon as the game starts I suppose. That could be amusing.

You guys are welcome to come up with some names for cities. In fact also, I'd like to hear some suggestions for the name of the land itself sometime soon.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:18 am

Possible land/city names:

Coronet
Devrasham
Halscomb
Puapiya
Nativity
Maw
Dornan-Vesuret
Kabil
Niccito
Kekt

Or, for a more Japanese feel:
Suikkito
Tamashibana
Kohuyo
Kuwenma
Goutanbaru
Hanko
Jorichi
Detsu
Hashirudo
Kabikyo

A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:50 pm

I'm think I'm going to go with a tiefling psion. I've been a bit busy, but here's a little backstory.

Skaimos Terai once heard a story from his father. Down by the seaside, a clam decided he wanted to make a pearl. So he swallowed some sand and started to suck on it. For five years, the clam continued to suck on the sand, until a large pearl was eventually formed. And the clam was satisfied at his success.

"So, Skaimos-chan, would you like to be like the clam?" his father asked. Skaimos thought for a moment, then said, "Well, Father-sama, I think I'd much rather like to be like the clam fisher who takes the pearl without waiting for five years and gets money from it." His father gave a large laugh, and gave his son a treat.

Skaimos was a second-generation tiefling. His father was a tiefling, his mother was a human ("It's the family curse," his father would joke. "We seem to have a fondness for human women."). Kairos Terai was a fairly successful merchant, who had managed to make a good name for himself. Skaimos learned some of the family business, like how one city's trash was another's treasure. Skaimos was proud of his father and his position...still, he sometimes rankled at the concept of having to show "due respect" to people that he was clearly smarter than.

When he was old enough, he decided, with the blessing of his father, to go out into the world and seek his fortune. His hope was to rise in the social classes, up to the artisans, maybe even nobility if he could. But if his destiny was to stay in the merchant class, then he'd be the best darn merchant the Desert Lands had ever seen. He would set up trade agreements, set up connections, do some favors here and there. And perhaps...he could find the place of legend, the fabled Forest, where trees were as common as sand. But that was a old tale, like that city made of gold.

Skaimos was ready to do whatever it took to try and make his dreams come true. But he knew he couldn't do it without...partners, or at least lackeys.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:30 pm

I have the feeling I've heard at least half of those english ones before. The japanese ones seem good (though I suppose you could be making references there and I'm just not getting them). Anyone have a particular name for the land they'd like? Doesn't have to be one of the ones Bronymous provided.

Let's see what we've got:

Bronymous: Genasi Druid
Xel: Pixie Warlock (maybe)
Lynt: Tiefling Psion
Demonu: Thri-Kreen Artificer

Well, I'd like one more lesser race and you guys could use some kind of tank but, I'm ok if this is what we end up with. If anyone knows anyone to rope in with promises of tiny raptors for pets.....
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Coronet, Nativity and Maw are real words, the rest I made up, though they could be subconsciously familiar. The "Japanese" ones are completely made up.

I also don't think we should worry about combat roles. Anytime I've ever even looked at an MMO or something that uses those, it turns me away at the thought of using a mechanic that is so limiting to unique character development. Alma isn't built for a "controller" (she's barely built for combat at all), so unless its just a shadow mechanic- "you're using this so you ARE a controller right now, even if you aren't trying to be"- I doubt she'll fulfill that role to any degree.

Also, honorifics are going to be a minor issue as well. If it's absolutely required that I use them, then I will, but until I get a feel for them, let's just assume Alma says them correctly when appropriate.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:15 pm

Well, no I wasn't planning on paying a lot of attention to roles but, it's still important to have healers and melee and ranged characters. We'll also be using status effects so yeah, it will be like you are currently being a controller vs a striker by applying status effects instead of just focusing on damage. That said, having a big tough guy or a swordsman or such would still be a good addition to the party as is.

About the honorifics, sure but, I'd prefer you tried to remember to use them so you get in practice at least. If someone uses the wrong one I'll assume they meant the correct one (and point it out) unless they make a point of using the incorrect one in character. Also keep in mind that using no honorific at all has meaning. So, it might get confusing if you leave them off entirely.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:09 am

So if I have Wild Shape (which I do) can it be any animal, or does it have to be local? Also, how does the "Spirits of Nature" thing apply in a desert, as far as powers are concerned.

And how do I blend my powers with my Racial water-type powers?
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:29 am

It can be any animal, doesn't even have to be natural ones, and due to your race I'd say it could be appropriate elemental versions too (water/ice sorta stuff). Though, I would say your character would at least have to have a clear mental picture of such a thing (adding a certain feyness or elementalness to something you've seen isn't all that hard) so, unless you've had a very good verbal description or at least seen a fairly accurate drawing of something it might not make any sense to be able to do. I figure we can have you make nature checks for things that don't belong in the environment.

I don't understand the spirits of nature question. Does that relate to a specific mechanic? Otherwise I would point out that a desert is as much nature as a forest or a mountain is. It'd have its own spirits and spirits of general natural aspects would apply everywhere.

Well, you really only mechanically would have one power granted by your race but, I don't think that's what you're asking. I would say you could. just modify your descriptions to include water or ice or such. It's not mandatory or anything, you're a druid and your spiritual powers don't have to be so much defined by your racial nature. You can couple them for, I suppose your character's natural instinct but, otherwise it's as normal for a druid. We're just using the listed powers as things to give ideas of what kinds of stuff you can do so, you can certainly do stuff similar to what's described but still different in ways.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:40 am

Ramsus wrote:It can be any animal, doesn't even have to be natural ones, and due to your race I'd say it could be appropriate elemental versions too (water/ice sorta stuff). Though, I would say your character would at least have to have a clear mental picture of such a thing (adding a certain feyness or elementalness to something you've seen isn't all that hard) so, unless you've had a very good verbal description or at least seen a fairly accurate drawing of something it might not make any sense to be able to do. I figure we can have you make nature checks for things that don't belong in the environment.

So I can be both Wonder Twins at the same time. Form of, an Ice Raptor.

I don't understand the spirits of nature question. Does that relate to a specific mechanic? Otherwise I would point out that a desert is as much nature as a forest or a mountain is. It'd have its own spirits and spirits of general natural aspects would apply everywhere.

I suppose not, its just that in the handbook when it refers to nature, it only ever talks about trees and such.

Well, you really only mechanically would have one power granted by your race but, I don't think that's what you're asking. I would say you could. just modify your descriptions to include water or ice or such. It's not mandatory or anything, you're a druid and your spiritual powers don't have to be so much defined by your racial nature. You can couple them for, I suppose your character's natural instinct but, otherwise it's as normal for a druid. We're just using the listed powers as things to give ideas of what kinds of stuff you can do so, you can certainly do stuff similar to what's described but still different in ways.

I have one racial power, and then I have my class powers and spells. Half of them are focused on wild shape, and the others aren't. And the flavor text goes back to that "Forest Wilderness" style, instead of the desert. So really it's just that it doesn't make sense for me, as a water person, to use a firebomb power, or to utilize plants in the middle of a desert.

I may just be thinking to much about it. I don't plan on using my wild shape that much though, so the non beast-mode based powers are my obvious choices.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:48 am

Well, you can go two ways with that stuff. And you don't have to stick to either. You can either do that sort of stuff in spite of the terrain because gosh darnit you're a druid and you can make plants show up if you really want to! Or you could reflavor grasping plants to quicksand or such things that fit the terrain better. Fire makes about as much sense in the desert as it does anywhere else. Unless I rolled a nat 1 on nature irl and missed out on plants, animals, or minerals that are made of fire.

Edit: Form of.....a bucket of dire water!?
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:36 am

Ok so, My racial power is Swiftcurrent and my druid powers will be Chill Wind, Pounce, Frost Flash, and Fires of Life. Or should I have more. Or less.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:45 am

You don't actually have to pick out the powers really. Just use the ones at your level to figure out the kinds of stuff you can do. If it makes it simpler to understand what I mean, treat it like having access to all powers of your level with the ability to modify the details within reason. (Note that I don't mean you'd have the equivalent of 4 or 5 Daily powers when you should only have 1, just that you can use any one of them that day.)
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 37 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 37  Next