Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New World (Not really full actually, at this point - would probably accept a character or two)

+6
LoganAura
mjh6
Fury of the Tempest
Deathstorm50
Marona
Curunir
10 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

A New World (Not really full actually, at this point - would probably accept a character or two) Empty A New World (Not really full actually, at this point - would probably accept a character or two)

Post  Curunir Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:49 am

Spoiler:
-----
It is a time of uncertainty.  The end of the calendar cycles are drawing near, triggering celebrations as well as trepidation- will the gods deign to permit the next cycle to commence?  

The old ways are dying out- the ancient city-states of the dragons lay mostly abandoned, their ancient hoards waiting to be plundered- by the adventurous willing to risk the vengeful traps left by the jealous dragons.  Their remaining descendents can hardly compete with the rising empires-  The Griffons of the Coatltec, who believe that their dual god Omecoatl requires blood in order to continue the cycle of life and death, and the Llamaruna, who find it unthinkable that the gods would end their own creation, and prefer to worry about the concerns of daily life.  The Buffalo and Deer of the northern continent remain aloof- but possibly not for long with the continuously growing scope of Coatltec wars for captives.
-----

So this setting is vaguely based off of pre-columbian America (in case you couldn't guess).  For this reason there will... *gasp* be NO PONIES! They might enter into the story later, but for now, no.  

Edit:  Hmm, looks like some ponies might have just arrived

Acceptable Races for Characters:

Character Creation:

World Building:

-----
Players and Characters:

-----

Last edited by Curunir on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:12 pm; edited 27 times in total
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

http://turtlgandalf.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

A New World (Not really full actually, at this point - would probably accept a character or two) Empty Re: A New World (Not really full actually, at this point - would probably accept a character or two)

Post  Marona Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:16 am

Sounds interesting! So of course you had to post it right before I was going to go to sleep. Well, I hope there will still be space for me by the time I awake.

Edit: Well.... I guess this means there's still space. I think I'll go with a dragon/coatl.
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

A New World (Not really full actually, at this point - would probably accept a character or two) Empty Re: A New World (Not really full actually, at this point - would probably accept a character or two)

Post  Deathstorm50 Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:54 pm

Color me intrigued, Curunir. I think I'd like to join up as well. I shall return, quite possibly with a dragon. Also, quick question, can we assume that the natives of this land have their own magicks? I'm just wondering if magic is acceptable to remain flavored as magic in this campaign, or if "magic" magic belongs strictly to, say, high priests and the like? I'm new to role-playing forums, and role-playing in general, so I have no idea if that's a stupid question or not.
Deathstorm50
Deathstorm50
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:26 pm

I guess I'll be having the third dragon character then.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:01 am

Meet Keeper. Hope he's acceptable. If we actually do end up with a bunch of dragons, I might change Keeper to being a girl if we have a lot of boys, just for some gender balance. Gender not being really important to Keeper's character concept.
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:50 am

Deathstorm - yes, magic certainly exists and can be common enough- while powerful practitioners do tend to rise to positions as priests, astronomers, or scholars, just about anyone could have some amount of magic. Likewise any race in this setting is capable of doing magic - while some races (Dragons being the main example) have more of a natural affinity for it, other races also can sometimes be born with magical power or acquire it through intense study. Common methods of magical study in this setting are through study of the stars, glyph-writing, or mathematics. Not a stupid question at all, especially in a different setting like this.

TLDR: Anyone can have magic, you can flavor how the magic works about any way you want.

My, it seems dragons are popular in this setting... no problem with that though! Looking forward to it...

Marona: Looks delightful, everything seems in order (took me a moment to see the utility giving you that 9th racial talent- it's new to me). Like the description and backstory, very fitting for the setting!
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:44 am

Hmmmm... I have to admit, I'm honestly thinking of making a completely new character for this game... but I have two questions.

First, may I have this original combat talent?

[+2] Exploit Opening - Standard Action
Deal 4 damage to target enemy, ignoring Resistance.

Second, are bipedal dragons okay?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:15 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Hmmmm... I have to admit, I'm honestly thinking of making a completely new character for this game
What? As opposed to....?
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:21 pm

Changing an old one. Duh.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Fury: Hmm, it looks like it might be okay (it's at least very close to balanced compared to other +2 talents, or the similar [+1] Piercing Shot - Standard Attack- Deal 1d8 damage to target creature. This attack ignores resistance - while yours does the same average damage, it can't get higher than that and can't trigger a critical) so I'll stick to my usual policy of letting you use it as long as none of the other players object.

As to your second question, yes, they are. As I believed I mentioned in the races section, coatl-style dragons are common but by no means the only type of dragons- they were mentioned mainly as a unique aspect of this particular setting.
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:14 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Changing an old one. Duh.
Duh? Not so "duh" I think. Do you mean on old one you didn't really get to use? Because I can understand that.
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:16 pm

Excellent! Here's my character so farI'll work out the background fully later, but I will say this.

He wants to forge a kingdom for the dragons.

Honestly, I'm not completely sure about his combat build either...

Marona wrote:
Fury of the Tempest wrote:Changing an old one. Duh.
Duh? Not so "duh" I think. Do you mean on old one you didn't really get to use? Because I can understand that.
Of course its duh. If its not an new one, then it'll be an old one.

I mean, I've got two characters in two RP's each... okay Storm is in three actually, but Kahn is kinda deadish.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:20 pm

Eh, I'm with Marona actually, it was a little unclear exactly what you were saying (re-using an old character concept vs. having a concept specifically for this campaign and then changing your mind). And whether you thought it was obvious or not, it clearly wasn't to everyone (or else why would anyone be asking questions?)

Can't access the character sheet- something about permissions. Oh googledocs...
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Deathstorm50 Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:22 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Excellent! Here's my character so farI'll work out the background fully later, but I will say this.

He wants to forge a kingdom for the dragons.

Honestly, I'm not completely sure about his combat build either...
Did you remember to share the character sheet, Fury? I can't access it.

Edit: Also, Curunir, My little dragon is running off a few key ideas, which I would like to run by you. I know you said to fiddle with genetics to fit the character, but the character I'm making came about from this niggling idea   that came into my mind while reading the setting. Idea the first is that dragons are naturally really long-lived, what with 100 years being considered a nap by some, though not quite on that scale, but my dragon does have a long sleep in his past. Idea the second is a dragons affinity with Time. I like the idea of feathery, sinuous lizards working hard on big stone calendars, and it's already been said that dragons have astronomical inclinations. My dragon is kind of a warning from the future to the past telling something is going to happen, but not going very detailed into it. Whereas the traditional Quetzlcoatl had no limbs, I imagine my dragon and his tribe as being more like a salamander in body type, only with feathery wings. Idea the last is that the omen my character is, is represented by the fact that he is not flesh and blood, but crystal in form. This is really the big question because considering the dragon's affinity with time, I imagine future possibilities could retroactively affect the past/present, altering things and changing what will then be.

TL;DR: Can I have a crystal salamander dragon because of wobbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff?

Last edited by Deathstorm50 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Deathstorm50
Deathstorm50
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:I mean, I've got two characters in two RP's each... okay Storm is in three actually, but Kahn is kinda deadish.
Whut. Why would you do that? That's just so.... rude to the other players and really rude to GMs. And I just don't see how that could be fun.

Is this something people normally do here?
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Not that common, far as I've noticed.  Personally I find its more fun to try out different characters, but I could see how maybe someone would want to try to adapt their character to different settings if they like them a lot (or are worried about the campaign ending prematurely- I've lost some characters I enjoyed to campaigns that just sputtered out for one reason or other)

Again, I don't necessarily agree with it (or at least wouldn't do it myself), but I also don't see how it's 'rude', I'm sure it's not done from laziness or disrespect for the campaigns.
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:40 pm

Marona wrote:
Fury of the Tempest wrote:I mean, I've got two characters in two RP's each... okay Storm is in three actually, but Kahn is kinda deadish.
Whut. Why would you do that? That's just so.... rude to the other players and really rude to GMs. And I just don't see how that could be fun.

Is this something people normally do here?

... Rude?

Dfuck?

And how is it not fun to use an old character? I mean sure its the same character, but its a different scenario.

Curunir wrote:Can't access the character sheet- something about permissions.  Oh googledocs...

Sorted.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:05 pm

Well I think it's rude to the GM (I would certainly find it rude if I were GM) to instead of making a character that specifically fits that setting, to just use an old one that most likely doesn't fit as well or at least most likely won't be taking advantage of anything that makes the setting unique. And that's rude because the GM had to put in effort to make that setting.

I guess it's not automatically rude to other players but, it certainly can be if your character is basically ignoring the setting entirely to instead have the player focus on how "cool" their character is or something like that.

As for it not being fun, I guess that's just personal taste (though I've never met someone before who did what you're doing and wasn't completely new to the hobby). I just don't see how it would be fun to play the same character all the time instead of playing new ones. Seeing as how a large part of the hobby is that freedom to do new things and the challenge to explore a new character.

Actually, I've never been part of a roleplaying group that wouldn't outright reject the idea on principle. *shrug*
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:10 pm

Just because I'm using an old character, doesn't mean I don't change to best fit in the setting.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:12 pm

If you're gonna do that, not sure why you wouldn't want to just give the character a new personality too and enjoy doing something different but... to each their own I guess?
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:14 pm

Marona wrote:If you're gonna do that, not sure why you wouldn't want to just give the character a new personality too and enjoy doing something different but... to each their own I guess?
Because the changes aren't that big, and its fun playing old character's in new settings.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Deathstorm50 Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:22 pm

I don't know if this character is good, because the edit to a former post that posed the question was ninja'd by five posts, and pushed the discussion to page two, but here is Piasa, the Crystal Coatl Salamander Dragon thing...
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IObm_9qMPOxSTV1q_embjstdvljWeCdhXe4G4GPj538/edit?overridemobile=true
Deathstorm50
Deathstorm50
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:46 pm

Hmmmm... what's the build, tanky damager?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:47 pm

Approved, sounds good.  Noticed your post edit just before I noticed your last post (btw, in future probably to make a new post rather than a post edit- those can easily get lost.) Love the omen idea- I'm sure that may cause the occasional NPC to freak out if they see you!

Now, a couple more characters would be nice (especially some non-dragons  Big Smiles, Sweetie although you guys are doing a good job of making a diverse mono-racial team)
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:49 pm

How's my character prior background?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next