Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dream Team - Backstage (OOC)

+7
Crystalite
mjh6
Zarhon
Xel Unknown
Lapis-Lazily
Brony 7 of 9
Paper Shadow
11 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The Dream Team - Backstage (OOC) Empty The Dream Team - Backstage (OOC)

Post  Paper Shadow Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:48 pm

When Princess Luna returned from her banishment, she returned to her duty to protect the dreams of those under her rule. However, being rusty, she accidentally left small rips behind. This resulted in the dreams of all ponies being connected to each other. While this hasn't caused too much trouble, there are some ponies who, when they fall asleep, occasionally fall into these rips and end up within the dreams of another pony. They are called Dreamers, and these are their adventures...

The Dream Team
Directed by and Starring
Brony 7 of 9 as Starsprinkle
Mjh6 as Frost
Doppler Effect as Sunny Spells
Crystalite as Honey Stick
Zarhon as Quartz Brittlebane
Fury of the Tempest as Storm Blade

F.A.Q.:

Last edited by Paper Shadow on Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

The Dream Team - Backstage (OOC) Empty Re: The Dream Team - Backstage (OOC)

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:07 pm

Seems interesting enough. I whipped up Starsprinkle really quickly to get in on this.
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Lapis-Lazily Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:28 pm

I am intrigued. Might whip up a character when I have some time.
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily
Overworked Designer
Overworked Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:43 pm

Interesting idea, I might try to build something. But I am in quite a few games.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:46 pm

Would an over-the-top-evil-bastard-of-a-character be acceptable? Twisted Evil

As for the small-scale DMing, would a horror campaign (think Rubyquest - big, deadly threats) be viable for such a concept?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:40 am

Zarhon wrote:Would an over-the-top-evil-bastard-of-a-character be acceptable? Twisted Evil

As for the small-scale DMing, would a horror campaign (think Rubyquest - big, deadly threats) be viable for such a concept?
I would personally say no to both. Evil characters are very tricky for inexperienced DMs, and a horror episode doesn't work very well in a PBP game due to speed (pacing is a big part of horror, but nigh-on impossible to have on a forum where posts don't happen immediately)...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:53 pm

I didn't think at first that I would try to do this, but... here's Frost the pegasus

All that I ask is that I not dm first. And if people can come up with a better name, I'm open to that too.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:00 pm

Brony 7 of 9 wrote:Seems interesting enough. I whipped up Starsprinkle really quickly to get in on this.
That looks good (apart from the horrible evil that is Derp Spellchild Jinx, which not even Expert DMs want to deal with)...

mjh6 wrote:I didn't think at first that I would try to do this, but... here's Frost the pegasus

All that I ask is that I not dm first. And if people can come up with a better name, I'm open to that too.
Also looks good, and it's fine if you don't go first...

For those of you secretly on the fence about joining (you know who you are), is there any reason you haven't? Anything I can do to help?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:59 pm

I would like to express interest (although I can't guarantee a sufficiently reliable presence here.)

I am wondering, however; how would this setting interact with the Planeswalker destiny?
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:41 pm

Crystalite wrote:I would like to express interest (although I can't guarantee a sufficiently reliable presence here.)

I am wondering, however; how would this setting interact with the Planeswalker destiny?
I would say the same as any other setting, but that reminds me of a point I forgot to make. Outside of the dreams, your character is just a regular being with regular lives (or however regular your backstory is, anyway). It is being in the dream which allows you to do amazing things, such as the power of your destinies and why you can do impossible things and whatnot. Just a small note I forgot to say earlier...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:01 pm

[quote="Paper Shadow"]
Crystalite wrote:Outside of the dreams, your character is just a regular being with regular lives (or however regular your backstory is, anyway). It is being in the dream which allows you to do amazing things, such as the power of your destinies and why you can do impossible things and whatnot. Just a small note I forgot to say earlier...
Fascinating. So, with the proper backstory, one should be able to change their build anyway they pleased in between episodes, right?

Not that I would. I like a little consistency in life.
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:10 am

Crystalite wrote:Fascinating. So, with the proper backstory, one should be able to change their build anyway they pleased in between episodes, right?
Well, most campaigns, if not all, allow players to switch up their builds during the quiet moments and after levelling up and whatnot. This is more so that problems that might occur with a character's utilities and the flavour of the game being a dream. For example, Mechanical Characters don't sleep, and thus don't dream (unless the flavour is that they are a dream robot). This way a regular pony goes to sleep and in their dreams they are a robot, or something I dunno. It also easily explains away questions like "How can non-unicorns use magic?" and similar, since it is a dream...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  deonte9109 Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:58 am

Are we using the new abilities style for creation or the old style?
deonte9109
deonte9109
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:47 am

Above is an important question...

Also, I think for ease of use, you might want to do the first little scenario yourself Paper, you know. Give a example?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:20 pm

deonte9109 wrote:Are we using the new abilities style for creation or the old style?
I could have sworn I did, but then it turned out that was to a PM, so I'll copy my answer from that. The new ability system is a WIP, and when the group/s are made, they can decide which system to use, but assume the old utility system for now...

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Also, I think for ease of use, you might want to do the first little scenario yourself Paper, you know. Give a example?
I can do that. One person sent me their reasons for not joining, and among them was a dislike of the idea of a Meta-GM, so if need be I can step down to a player level, but then I wouldn't be able to give advice if needed, but I'll do the opening scenario either way...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:07 pm

Can I still use the changes in the ability doc? Like the Applejack of all trades upgrade, and not needing call animal for animal magnetism?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Doppler Effect Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:29 pm

I've been hoping to see a newbie-friendly campaign like this pop up. This looks interesting, so I'd like to sign up Sunny Spells.

A few questions about the setting. Will it be up to individual DMs to come up with a reason why the group will want to follow the adventure in each session, or will there be an ongoing campaign-wide reason? (e.g. needing to accomplish something in each dream to wake up safe and sound/they're on a mission from Luna to solve problems in the dreams/they're simply particulary inquisitive ponies because otherwise they wouldn't be falling into other ponies' dreams in the first place/etc.)

In a similar vein, will there be a campaign-wide reason why the same few ponies are regularly meeting in different dreams?

Doppler Effect
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:50 am

Against my better judgement, I am tentatively offering Honey Sticks.
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Equestrian Wyvern Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:54 am

Paper Shadow wrote:
deonte9109 wrote:Are we using the new abilities style for creation or the old style?
I could have sworn I did, but then it turned out that was to a PM, so I'll copy my answer from that. The new ability system is a WIP, and when the group/s are made, they can decide which system to use, but assume the old utility system for now...

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Also, I think for ease of use, you might want to do the first little scenario yourself Paper, you know. Give a example?
I can do that. One person sent me their reasons for not joining, and among them was a dislike of the idea of a Meta-GM, so if need be I can step down to a player level, but then I wouldn't be able to give advice if needed, but I'll do the opening scenario either way...
Being said person who isn't a fan of having a Meta-GM I can say that having you not Meta-GM is not in itself going to get me to sign up. As I commonly put it, I am the worst Good-GM around (I know what I am doing, but inevitably end up screwing up in easily predictable ways in the end, leaving most of the players hating me) and as such I cannot reasonably sign up for this game unless you end up in a situation where simply having another player no matter how bad they are improves things (Which would be having exactly 3,8, or 13 players not counting you Paper. pretty much any situation where adding 2 players to the mix would end up getting exactly to the perfect balance of players).
Equestrian Wyvern
Equestrian Wyvern
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:49 am

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Can I still use the changes in the ability doc? Like the Applejack of all trades upgrade, and not needing call animal for animal magnetism?
It'll be a decision made with your group, but I'd say it's okay...

Doppler Effect wrote:I've been hoping to see a newbie-friendly campaign like this pop up. This looks interesting, so I'd like to sign up Sunny Spells.

A few questions about the setting. Will it be up to individual DMs to come up with a reason why the group will want to follow the adventure in each session, or will there be an ongoing campaign-wide reason? (e.g. needing to accomplish something in each dream to wake up safe and sound/they're on a mission from Luna to solve problems in the dreams/they're simply particulary inquisitive ponies because otherwise they wouldn't be falling into other ponies' dreams in the first place/etc.)

In a similar vein, will there be a campaign-wide reason why the same few ponies are regularly meeting in different dreams?
That looks good. Admittedly we already have a Arcane Character, but that's why I'm pushing for multiple groups, and even if that doesn't happen, when one arcane character is DMing, then at least the party will still have an arcane character...

As for your questions, I didn't think about the first, but I can make a reason in the opening episode. The second won't be explained, or at least not soon, since the person DMing's character won't be in the dream that episode (since their player will be the DM), so it'll be kinda weird to give a reason but not have everyone there every episode. That said, destiny is a thing, and maybe I can think of a good reason during the opening episode as well...

Crystalite wrote:Against my better judgement, I am tentatively offering Honey Sticks.
Also looking good. Noticing a lot of people are grabbing high knowledge, which is interesting...

Equestrian Wyvern wrote:Being said person who isn't a fan of having a Meta-GM I can say that having you not Meta-GM is not in itself going to get me to sign up.  As I commonly put it, I am the worst Good-GM around (I know what I am doing, but inevitably end up screwing up in easily predictable ways in the end, leaving most of the players hating me) and as such I cannot reasonably sign up for this game unless you end up in a situation where simply having another player no matter how bad they are improves things (Which would be having exactly 3,8, or 13 players not counting you Paper. pretty much any situation where adding 2 players to the mix would end up getting exactly to the perfect balance of players).
I'm aware. It was one part of a list of eight (well, seven with one 4.5), with some points more personal preference than something I can improve, but your point about a Meta-GM I felt was the one more people could have felt and that I could improve, which is why I brought it up...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:56 pm

I'm counting four players now, not including the shadows of dead trees. Could we consider starting, I wonder, and introduce the next two when they arrive? (If they arrive.)
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:00 am

Crystalite wrote:I'm counting four players now, not including the shadows of dead trees. Could we consider starting, I wonder, and introduce the next two when they arrive? (If they arrive.)
I'm gonna wait a bit longer, let other people and those who have expressed interest join from the start. It's a smoother start when everyone begins on the same page...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:42 pm

Hm... I've got a (very, very goofy) character that might fit this campaign: Quartz Brittlebane.

Note: His sheet is months old and was originally meant for a campaign that never took off - it needs updating or a number of reworks, so I will probably change some of his stuff - consider the above link just an idea of what the character would be like. He might be a bit 'too much' for some people. How goofy/rule-of-fun-abusing can our characters be?

Edit: I updated/reworked the character: Quartz Brittlebane

My only reservations on joining is the DMing aspect, namely, the expectation of making something out of scratch and it not sucking (I tend to have a sort of 'tunnel vision' when it comes to creativity sometimes). I'd probably have to see how the setting 'looks' first, and how it's expected to be played, before I could safely make a mini-campaign.

I do have a rather unhinged, semi-goofy, semi-dark crossover (something likely nobody will recognize/know as it's VERY obscure) in mind though, which could fit for a dream-scapade (or more accurately, a 'scary nightmare'), but it needs to be fleshed out in details and such.

On the subject of the campaigns: How far on the "PC threat/risk" and "insane/chaotic/pinkie pie" can we make the campaigns/dreams? Anything goes, or...?

Last edited by Zarhon on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:36 am

Mr. Brittlebane, you and Honey Sticks are going to get along famously.

I think...
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:48 am

Well, here's Storm Blade. Bio isn't that important, is it?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next