Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice for potential game system

4 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Advice for potential game system - Page 3 Empty Re: Advice for potential game system

Post  mjh6 Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:10 pm

All that sounds great!

So, you said you liked the grapple system for combat?

Also, what would we do about knives and guns and stuff?
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Advice for potential game system - Page 3 Empty Re: Advice for potential game system

Post  Elacular Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:14 pm

I did say that, yes! Although I'm honestly not sure how to handle knives and guns. I could use some advice on that. Anyway, I put together a thing.

Constitution
Your ability to take, avoid and endure the damage you receive.

Endurance: Your ability to physically tank the damage you receive. Can be bolstered with Constitution or Strength.
Reflex: Your ability to avoid having damage done to you at all. Can be bolstered with Dexterity or Charisma.
Willpower: Your ability to deal with mental trauma or strain. Can be bolstered with Wisdom or Intelligence.

Strength
Your physical prowess and capabilities.

Might: The straight up brute force you can provide. This would be used for dead-lifting a 100 pound statue or doing chin ups.
Athletics: Your ability to do sporty things with your strength, like running a 4 minute mile or throwing the winning pass at a football game.
Gross Motor: How good you are at handling your body in odd ways, such as being able to hold that yoga pose, tighten that socket correctly or slip through that tight corridor.

Dexterity
Your ability to use your body to do more fine, graceful things.

Acrobatics: The ability to move your body quickly and precisely. This would allow you to do a damn good show on the parallel bars or flip your way over an enemy blockade.
Mechanics: How good you are at fine motor repairs like fixing a circuit board, or putting together explosives.
Stealth: Your ability to avoid being noticed by other people, whether it’s sneaking out to Jenny’s rad party or trying to avoid G-men with laser turrets.

Intelligence
Your mental prowess and level of education in game-related matters.

Arcana: How well you understand and perform magic, human and divine alike. It’s the difference between lighting the dean’s robes on fire and burning down the building.
Science: How well you understand the physical, chemical and biological sciences. No magic involved.
History: Your understanding of the past, recent and long ago. You know what they say about those who don’t learn it.

Wisdom
Your understanding of how the world around you works.

Perception: Your ability to notice small things about people, places and everything in between. May get better or worse with age.
Heal: Your ability to stitch people back together if things get too hot to handle. Also useful in identifying zombies, probably.
Survival: The ability to be a functional goddamn person in this world. Far rarer than it should be. Covers being able to get what you need to live.

Charisma
The way that you relate to other people.

Insight: Your ability to gauge a person, what they think and why they do what they do. Sort of a more socially focussed Perception.
Streetwise: How you can read the streets of a town. This covers being able to measure a social situation and figure out how you should act, as well as knowing the local stuff.
Bluff: Your ability to lie through your teeth. If your in-character actions aren’t persuasive enough, this is your fallback option.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:17 pm

The stats look great! :3
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:27 pm

I think the stats look awesome too. Although the thing about bluff is that it is that right now, it specifically says if you are lying. So if you're telling the truth, would it work?

So if we want to use or modify the grapple system, would we need to contact Philadelphus and Hayate and ask for permission?

I'm thinking that for guns, if we use this system, we treat them as Grapple charms. They are the weapon, and equipping it gives you a much greater range of attack,
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:33 pm

Well, the reason I made it "Bluff" not "Persuasion" is because I'm of the belief that straight up persuasion should be done through RP, not rolls. However, lying? That is a skill worth rolling for. I could have explained that better though.

It would probably be a nice thing to do I think, to contact them. I should be the one to do that.

That strikes me as a good idea as long as it's understood that they can be used for different things too. Guns, knives and the like would definitely be in and out of combat items. Like, if I had a gun during a brewing riot, I'd get in front of everyone and fire it in the air to try and make them disperse.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:42 pm

I'm thinking they'd be similar to techniques in Wanderlust. You spend the points to have a gun, and it gives you in and out of combat benefits.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:50 pm

Now that idea I like. I'll work on that.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Just to clarify though, what I'm throwing out here are basic ideas for abilities, so we have stuff to work with and consider. Once we have enough of them , we'll need to work on stuff like balancing and wording of abilities.

Although as a side note, the way we seem to be setting things up so far in abilities, I think that character should start with 20 ability points. Humans would have 16 Science points, and 4 Magic points, Gods would have 16 Magic points and 4 Science points, and Avatars would have 10 of both.

mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:56 pm

And I must suggest that when you get to level-up and junk... I suggest having a 20 or 30 level system.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:25 pm

I also suggest linking your prototype rules document on the first post, so we can find it more easily
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:42 pm

All those sound good, I'll get to linking it in the first post right now. About how many points should be gained per level and when should destinies and boons and stuff come in in a more leveled system?

Also, I made some innate abilities.

Humans

Prayer (0 points, 5/day)
Range: Touch
A human can, with an earnest and emotional prayer, heal a god for 1d10 hp.

Public School (0 points)
Unless expressly stated otherwise by the player, any human character will come into the game with a base level understanding of math, science, history and the local language.

Gods

Blessing (0 points, 5/day)
Range: Touch
A god can heal mortals of any save ends effects or give them +5 to all rolls for five minutes in character.

Kinda Immortal (0 points)
Gods do not require sustenance to survive and can operate at full capacity without eating or drinking.

Consultation (0 points, 3/day)
An avatar, demigod or other semidivine can telepathically contact the god whom they’re connected to for advice, help or anything else. Whether or not this god will be helpful is something else entirely.

Mortal Form (0 points)
Semidivines have a form in which they can pass as mortal (which may just be their normal appearance). In this form, they can access anything divines aren’t allowed to as long as they aren’t caught.

I'd like three since it's a magic number, but I can't think of a third for any of them
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:51 pm

Looks nice, although if we're going to start getting into HP and stuff, we should really decide on a combat system.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:14 pm

MAJOR SUGGESTION! Have the third factor tie into how you going to work the death mechanics in this game...

Godlands, Deadlands, & Mortal Planes... An idea you'd pick up in The Gods of Arr-Kelaan but would work WONDERS if used here as well... Basically...

Godlands: The Normal HomeRealm your basic Pantheon of Gods... ALL GOD CHARACTERS come form this place. Or where born in some degree here I'd picture... Unless they started off as a human & somehow was great enough that when their soul drifted to this side of the multiverse THEY BECAME A GOD! Could happen either pre-mortal-death or post-mortal-death. Also when a Living Mortal is taken here... IT MIGHT KILL... Basically all mortal characters want to avoid staying in godlands for too long, you either die or become a god... And there is next to no rime or reason for it... Avatars can safely exist in a Godland while still "alive-alive" & junk.

Deadlands: Basically a deadland is one of the MANY places you might go to when you die... Well where ALL MORTALS GO anyway... Not Gods... When Gods die NOBODY knows what happens. And eventually all souls end up IN THE LIGHT! Which nobody really knows for sure what happens after that point... But it's the natural order of things for a soul to be born, exist for a time, then either become godly or rejoin the light after some time in the deadlands. Sometimes a lucky soul might get another life on earth if they're lucky and got ties with a few gods who can chat with a deathgod (there are likely to be MANY, if you somehow have befriended a deathgod who likes you being alive, YOU ARE SUPER LUCKY AND COULD IN THEORY BE BROUGHT BACK AT ANY TIME YOU'D WANT... But eventually you'd want to enjoy a nice afterlife from time to time, there is a LOT of wonder in the deadlands if you look for it...) to allow such a thing. Cause MOST of the time a Mortal going to a Deathland is a one-way trip.

Mortal Planes: Basically the Multiverse of Earths & other mortal realms like Earth such as for example Arr-Kelaan. Anything that has a lot of junk that is done by science alone counts as a mortal plane. Unless it was made by a God, then it's a godland... But there would be some grey areas that would be strongly debated if they count as Mortal Plane or Godland. Would picture there being GODS OF SCIENCE! or something like that trying to do things the mortal way that is totally a godland even though it's an abnormal one... Also there might be a Mortal Realm that TURNS MORTALS GODLIKE & GODS INTO BEING AS WEAK AS MORTALS... Which would be neat.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Guess who had a Bolt of Inspiration? (Also, note to self, create ability named Bolt of Inspiration)

While defining the afterlife in a game that will likely have gods of death is very important, I suggest that that the third trait go in a different direction ( or we could just have four traits, or you could ignore me entirely if this is a dumb idea)

Divine Trait

Domain (0 points)

Pick a specific concept or activity. You are considered God (or a god, at least) of this subject. When you make skill check that involve this subject, add +7 to your roll

Mortal Trait

Make my own fate (0 points)

Gain 3 additional attribute points

Little Bit Mortal, Little Bit Divine
Gain three extra training to spend

Obviously, it doesn't need to be these three exactly, but I thought it fit.

Last edited by mjh6 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:41 pm

Ok neat... I for one like your ideas. Think it's better for the third trait for the races then what I was suggesting. I'd figure there are like three levels of being Alive & Dead:

Level 1: Alive-Alive, Dead-Alive (kinda)

Level 2: Dead-Alive (kinda), Alive-Dead

Level 3: DEAD-DEAD (deader than dead and gone for good! Well normally that way, you might be able to be reborn or something if you really dang lucky)
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:58 am

Ooh, I like the three realms and the three other abilities! Good job both of you! As for combat though....

Yeah, I feared this. All I know is I want there to be a roll-to-hit system. Like roll a d20 against the appropriate constitution type skill and different attacks and items and stuff can make it easier or harder to hit. Something like that?
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:06 pm

Makes sense too me I guess... Feel weary, but that's just because I've gotten complacent to having to worry about missing like that with attacks but a Roll to Hit seems logical.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:22 pm

I've never really used a combat system that wan't PiP based, so this would be a new experience for me. The way I was seeing combat here is that you get Combat points which you may use to buy Weapons, Armor and Charms. While Weapons and Armor are obvious, I see Charms as, rather than separate objects, giving extra effects to Weapons or Armor. For instance, Equipping a Hand gun with Armor Piercing rounds, allowing it to ignore Armor effects a certain number of times in a fight

Also, have some potential Mortal Abilities
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:36 pm

mjh6 wrote:I've never really used a combat system that wan't PiP based, so this would be a new experience for me. The way I was seeing combat here is that you get Combat points which you may use to buy Weapons, Armor and Charms. While Weapons and Armor are obvious, I see Charms as, rather than separate objects, giving extra effects to Weapons or Armor. For instance, Equipping a Hand gun with Armor Piercing rounds, allowing it to ignore Armor effects a certain number of times in a fight

Also, have some potential Mortal Abilities
Access Denied...

And when it comes to this god-game system's combat... I'd say mix it up a little to some degree with non-combat to a degree.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:44 pm

sorry, fixed now.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:14 pm

I'd suggest there being a way for gods/mortals to turn science points into magic points & vice versa at a cost of spending 2 of the starting point to get more of the second type. Clearly should make a rule of only allowing one of those.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:16 pm

Exactly what I was thinking.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:22 pm

Hmmmmm. How would one go about typing that? Something like maybe...

Magitech-(2+X magic points)
By paying 2 magic points you can convert X magic points to science points at a one to one ratio.

Technomage-(2+X science points)
By paying 2 science points you can convert X science points to magic points at a one to one ratio.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:29 pm

Ratio of 2 to 1.... Saying it's just 1 to 1... Was thinking more along the lines of you pay two magic or science points you get 1 science or magic point... You'd need to do that to keep the system form feeling too samey with the three sets.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:31 pm

I think that might work,

Did you see my suggestions for more mortal abilities?
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next