Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice for potential game system

4 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Advice for potential game system - Page 4 Empty Re: Advice for potential game system

Post  Elacular Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:42 pm

Yes I did see them. I added them to the main doc.

And oooooh, okay. I think that makes more sense, but to me my version feels more balanced? Could you explain why it should be a 1 to 2 ratio in third grader words? I'm kinda dumb today.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Advice for potential game system - Page 4 Empty Re: Advice for potential game system

Post  mjh6 Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:49 pm

Okay, I'm not xel, but my guess is that the concern is that if we give the players the ability to change as many science or magic points as you want into the opposite type, for only a 2 point fee, the separation between the two races feels arbitrary, since any given race can have almost any combination of points they want.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Ooooh, okay. I get it. In that case

Magitech-(X magic points)
You can convert X magic points to .5X science points.

Technomage-(X science points)
you can convert X science points to .5X magic points.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:23 pm

I think the format of (X/2) would be better than (.5X) but that's just me.

And that was totally what I was thinking about in my mind. Having both of in the system allows to build any type of godtype or humantype you'd want to build... Yet still Humans can feel human and not like GODS you know?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:51 pm

I made that change and updated them on the main doc. Thank you.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:50 pm

I noticed you added a car as an ability. Think we should add any other types of transportation?
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:06 pm

Oh right, I forgot to finish that. Sorry, it's been a hectic day. Maybe not as abilities, but as things you could buy with in game capitol. Cars I'm okay with having as an ability. I'll finish adding stuff to that in time.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:13 pm

That brings up something I've been wondering about. What is the difference between items bought with ability points and items bought with in game money?
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:07 pm

I haven't settled on an excellent idea for that, but my theories thusfar are

1. Things bought in game can only be upgraded with other things bought in game.
2. Things made with powers will have a homing beacon so they can't be stolen from the player
3. Things made with powers would have more player control of their capabilities. EG, a car bought in game would be exactly as the dealer described it sans embellishment. A car made with powers would be customizable to a point, such as deciding what model it is and whether or not it has a tape deck.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:41 pm

And on a related note:

The alleged car-(3 science points, 6 magic points)
You buy an incredibly crappy junker of a car. It can get you from point A to point B at 50 miles per hour, carries up to six people if you include the trunk and gets like five miles to the gallon.

Mechanical upgrades-(1 science point, 1 magic point) (Prerequisite, The alleged car
Your car can now go 10 mph faster and your car gets 5 more miles per gallon. This upgrade can be taken multiple times.

The Electred Car-(2 science points, 2 magic points) (Prerequisite, The alleged car)
Through some weird technical/magical nonsense, you get your car to run on electricity rather than gas. It can be charged at outlets, or by magical electricity.

Upgrade KITT-(4 science points, 8 magic points) (Prerequisite, The alleged car)
You give your car an intelligent AI, allowing it to think, drive itself and other AIy things. You also trick it out with all sorts of batmobile-type awesomeness.

The incredible flying lemon-(8 science points, 4 magic points) (Prerequisite, The alleged car)
Your car can now fly at the same speed and efficiency it could move on the ground.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:11 pm

I really like the upgrades for The Alleged Car. Here are a few more suggestions:

Global Positioning System(1 Science point, 2 Magic points)

Treat any Streetwise checks to find public places as if you rolled a natural 20.

Armored Alleged Car (5 Science points, 3 Magic Points)

Everyone inside the car receives +10 to Constitution.

I'm starting to look forwards to potential car chases  Smile 

I'm not as certain about the money system, but right now, it doesn't seem as important to figure out.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:37 pm

Added those two. I definitely like them. And yessss, car chases >:]

I still haven't thought of any solely avatar powers. Those are the hardest so far. I'm thinking I won't really have solely anything powers, just magic and science.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:40 pm

Money always strikes me as more a GM side-issue that the PCs have some idea but they have like gold-emoumhts ranges & junk. Lower-Class (under the poverty line), Lower-Middle Class (Just barely above the poverty line, but overing & junk), Middle-Middle Class, Upper-Middle Class, Upper-Class... And gods work on a different money system I'd figure?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:43 pm

Eh, makes sense. It's not like gods need to eat or anything. But if they want the latest iphone or pokemon game, they better get some paper for that. So...yes and no?
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:55 pm

Interesting, although if we put it in terms of a range like that, we need to come up with a reason for people to pick a level other than Upper Class.

You think we should come up with other options for transportation, like bicycles?
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:03 pm

Eeeeh, I think I'd be okay with using money for bikes and bus passes and such unless we wanna make the Spielberg bike a thing or the incredible flying streetcar.

...actually...

Spielbike-(3 magic points, 5 science points)
You have a flying bike. It moves at the speed of a bike, but can fly at will and cause teary enchantment in emotional grown ups.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:05 pm

Nice  Smile  I kinda think it should be more expensive, but that's a question for later.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:14 pm

"HOVERBIKES!!!"

Love that idea... In the terms of the money system. Basically I'd say that middle-middle Class comes at no cost... But going lower is a "flaw" and gets you bonus points of ether magic (beucase faith is more powerful or something) or science? And you gotta spend like money points to be a mortal of upper-middle or upper-class? You know what... Having the Money thing be a totally self-contained system would be wisest. Where you can spend them all to be in the Upper-Class, or spend the Money Points for Magic/Science Points, you get the most points being poor... (also suggest we get a good deal of flaws in the system to work with... Such as a homeless flaw... & stuff like that)
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:38 pm

ooh, flaws, never worked in a system that had those, don't have much experience with that.

Actually, I don't know that Gods necessarily need a different money system mechanically, if we simply define it as "How much money a character has to spend at a given time. Gods could theoretically have human jobs, or get money through donations or godly services. Yeah, they would probably tend towards having less than humans, but if they can justify having more, then I say let them take it. I just work that if we have too much separation between Mortal stats and leveling, and Divine States and leveling, we'll end up over complicating the system.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:40 pm

I like the idea of having some money based flaws, but my main fear is minmaxing. I don't wanna make a system super easy to game. But I also know that brokenness is inevitable in any system.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:58 pm

Just focus on flaws being mechanically a clear-downside that should only be taken for the RP bonus of having that background. There it both good & back you get from the flaw, but mostly the good is in having the flavor of being homeless, mute, deaf, blind, missing a limb, ect... Hell having donated or lost a kidney could be a flaw to add in this type of deal, only like getting minor krama, & jusing up a slot or something to take... Like you can only take 0 to 5 flaws max? Where everything else works on more a point system. You know what... The idea of a Karma system of "luck" that could be good or bad for the cost of having "good or bad" history elements might be neat to add to this system. :3
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:12 pm

I like the idea of a flaws limit, but I also really like the idea of a Karma system. I've always believed that Karma was a thing, so it's probably just a bit of a personal wonk, but I enjoy it. So something like...take the flaw "Donated a kidney", be somewhat vulnerable to ingested poisons, have a bit of good Karma.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:22 pm

Well the flaw limit was for the Flaws system... And the Karma system is its own thing. Basically one thing that I know I'd use it for is that you can sped X Karma points to roll X fudge dice (a d6 that has 2 +'s 2 -'s & 2 blank sides) for a skill check to give bonus or penalty to any skill check. Either you hoping to give a bonus or penalty to the roll... If you were aiming for a bonus & got a penalty roll the karma point is refunded (and the -1 to the skill check still happens) If you get a 0 you'd have used the point IE: you can't spend the karma again till next session. But if you got the the +1 bonus you have fully spent the karma point and the total of karma you can spend goes down. I'd figure that this karma system would go form like 0 to + & - 25 karma. There'd only be RP effects for having positive or negative karma... And there might be karma skills that you can either use karma on or fully spend the karma points with. Also got an idea for a type of +1/-1 or 0 coin flip karma talent to use in place of it if you get pay to get that power...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:40 pm

I...think that I understand. So it'd be like...each Karma point lets you fudge a die roll? Sorry, I'm not good at braining.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:53 pm

No... It lets you roll what's called a "Fudge Die" (a special D6 that are used in tabletop some games that has two sides do a +, two sides have a -, & two sides are blank) for each karma point you try to spend. Or that's be Karma's default usage... I'd make sure that everything that Karma uses is totally luck based gameplay to do good, nothing, or bad to you when summoned. Much like how Karma seems to act in the realm of pyscolphy?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next