Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Call of Colthulhu: The Baltimare Case (PT|PbP|Filled)

+5
sunbeam
Lyntermas
Caden2112
Crystalite
AleneShazam
9 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Call of Colthulhu: The Baltimare Case (PT|PbP|Filled) - Page 4 Empty Re: Call of Colthulhu: The Baltimare Case (PT|PbP|Filled)

Post  Terrestial Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:21 pm

Before writing in the topic, all there was to see from the messages in the opening post, was the parenthesis, at least in my case. Perhaps a forum issue?

Making an ado as of now.
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Call of Colthulhu: The Baltimare Case (PT|PbP|Filled) - Page 4 Empty Re: Call of Colthulhu: The Baltimare Case (PT|PbP|Filled)

Post  sunbeam Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:02 am

Hey, team two, there's a neat website I use called rolz that simulates dice for you. I tend to use it and post the results so we don't have Gafferbot breaking up the narrative all the time. It's requires an honor system, but that shouldn't be a problem, right?

Also I will have a post up later today, I just wanted to throw this out there right now.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:01 am

Funny thing you'd mention that, considering that's what some of us have already been using in other games. Considering that Gafferbot's been most probably set up on this forum specifically as to not have to rely on outside sources, i did consider its usage as a standard issue, unless specified otherwise. Did the first group already get permission from AleneShazam to use other sources or did they start rolling on their own, without his consent? In case it's the former, why hasn't there been any official notice in this topic?

Also, you are wrong to an extent, sunbeam. If we're to use that site, an honour system is not required. Rolz rooms save the most recent dice rolls, enabling the GM to check them, if doubt arises. If we're to use that, i propose we set up a room for our group specifically. What do you say, Alene?
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:34 am

rolz, gafferbot, it doesn't really matter to me much. Although rolz does look much nicer on the eyes. If I find something suspicious, I'll ask, but on the whole I'm happy to just roll with what you want to use. I trust you guys, mostly.
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:06 pm

Gafferbot is hideous in its application. I use this:

www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

and go on honor system. I've been playing long enough that I've learned failing checks is just as fun as succeeding most of the time. Also, screencaps for Nat20s or other ridiculous things.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:07 pm

Same for me, pretty much. Instead of dice rooms I just use Rolz' front page dice roller.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:04 pm

A1C Bronymous wrote:

Gafferbot is hideous in its application. I use this:

www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

and go on honor system. I've been playing long enough that I've learned failing checks is just as fun as succeeding most of the time. Also, screencaps for Nat20s or other ridiculous things.

Not that i wouldn't believe you, as i've come to appreciate series of critfails myself and see you're a senior player alike, but having used that particular dice roller for multiple games myself, i feel obliged to pinpoint... screencaps are no proof in this case. One can simply re-write everything manually in the side-box.

AleneShazam wrote:rolz, gafferbot, it doesn't really matter to me much. Although rolz does look much nicer on the eyes. If I find something suspicious, I'll ask, but on the whole I'm happy to just roll with what you want to use. I trust you guys, mostly.

If you say so, Alene. So be it.

Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sliverbrony Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:07 pm

I used Orokos for all PbP Campaings I was in till now

Sliverbrony
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:47 am

Terrestial wrote:screencaps are no proof in this case. One can simply re-write everything manually in the side-box.

...I didn't know you could do that. Brb learning how to cheat.

EDIT: wow you totally can. And to think, back when I cared about succeeding skill checks I manually reset and rerolled until I got the result I want. Don't tell any of my players you can do this.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:04 am

I thought it was quite obvious, but it seems i'll need to say it aloud anyway, sunbeam. I specifically asked Kunolf and not Eaglesong, to lead the group, presenting him a valid excuse to accompany us, were he wishing to do so. Considering his official position as a caterer as well as a supposed obligation as a protector, an opportunity as good as this one could be hard to come by later on, during the possibly enclosed medical experts' meeting. At least without some stalking underway, which could immensely and needlessly prolong the opening chapter. I'm sure now you understand how the sudden coming up with knowledge of your character puts Kunolf's publically presented reasons for sticking with us at certain jeopardy.

I'm not saying what you came up with is wrong or improbable. In fact, it could serve us well, were the Griffin not willing to keep us company.

However, for the sake of Sliver's freedom of choice, i'll ask you to wait with me for his response in the IC thread and let it have priority over your post in this case, were it to address the matter at hand.
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:12 pm

Oh no, yeah, I completely understood what Starglass was saying. Eaglesong was just stating that she needed no guide. Just because it's in the party's best interests doesn't mean I'm going to go along with something automatically. Given that Kunolf has direct (if unsupported) orders to protect Starglass, I'd imagine that he'd have to insist on coming anyways.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:57 pm

Thing is, i did not  expect you to follow a distinct course of action, sunbeam. There was an opportunity for glueing the team together, not a necessity. Focus was on giving the freedom of choice to Sliver.
At the very least my character would've had something against a Griffin following in her hoofsteps without a distinct reason. Suddenly retiring from duty after seeing you come off the scene? Sounds fishy.

I'd also like to ask you to either change the colour of the words spoken by your character to something more distinct (since i presume it's Eaglesong's coat you've been using as a base for orientation, perhaps shift that to the hue of her mane?) or make some paragraphs, instead of having everything stuffed together in a single block of text.
In it's current state, it makes deciphering and working with it very cumbersome and time-consuming.
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:42 pm

Yeah, there aren't any good shades of green for this, are there? I'll shift everything to a red.

I swear I had good shade of green once...hm.

EDIT: I went digging and found my old Olive Green color code. I've changed her most recent post to match it, is that better?
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:55 pm

I've been unfortunate enough to refresh the IC thread page to proof-check the workings of my avatar... just in time to see the result of your second edit.
While having the machine set to maximum brightness.

My eyes. They still hurt. Why wold you even do that? There's a preview button for a reason there, mate.

(having a laugh, not holding a grudge)

It looks neater, for sure. Paragraphs would still be welcome though.
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:11 pm

Oh, the alternating monologue was just something I wanted to try out. It accurately captured the jumble of thoughts going on in Eaglesong's, but I could tell it wasn't 100% legible. I didn't much plan for using it too often, and this just reaffirms that. Thanks for the feedback.

For a guy named terrestrial, you have awfully impressive wings.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:08 pm

The idea in itself wasn't bad. The first impression was ruined by the colouring issue, yes, but you should keep trying if you wish to use that. "If we only did what we were good at, we'd never improve."

That was no feedback though, as it was just the mechanical side of the issue. This is:

It seems your character is already engaged a lot in what she's saying. There's pondering, opinions and echoes of emotional engagements. Combining it with the fact that she's also thinking thoroughly about a rather unrelated issue seems excessive, as if she were in possesion of two minds at once. It's a good style to show ongoing contradictions between what the character is saying and thinking - or giving indirectly a hint to others as to how absent-minded the character is via using a distinctly emotionless, seemingly not thought out thoroughly speech. However, more than that and the reader gets confused - especially when having no orientation points. You could try mingling with the text composition to add dynamism to your post as well, as if showing the growing aversion towards Starglass. Example:

Today had been irritable, but it didn't even qualify as exhausting, or any other descriptor that might put her in a pitiable position.

"Like most Medical Schools, Don Clopkins requires a mentor for your later years, and being the headstrong pony I was (am) once I knew he was the best of the trauma ward.
I wanted him and only him as my mentor. It took some arguing, but eventually he took me on and taught me...damned near everything."

And really, Eaglesong just hated to be pitied. She hadn't been worthy of pity in a long time, and could think of plenty of ponies it was better spent on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As per the avatar... i actually wondered whether anyone would point out that contradiction.

To be honest, i've had this thing for quite a lot of time now, having considered using it for a few forums' avatars.
It's more of a nostalgic symbol to me, actually... Today it was just, "ahh, whatever" - and now i'm having it.
Ain't as shabby as it could've been, i guess.

Also, who's to say origin has to be aligned with nature?
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:31 pm

Sliverbrony - i dedicate your last post the following link.

With regards. No offence, it was just to good to pass up.
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sliverbrony Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:11 am

Okay that Last question results in an ooc Problem for me, as I don't know how Long it takes to travel from the Griffonkingdom-equestria border to baltimare normaly, but kunolf would know IC how Long that Trip took

Sliverbrony
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:12 pm

Make something up, have fun with it!
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:20 pm

Good news. Today i finally found a house to live in, so after i move in, my reply ratio should increase and become somewhat regular.
As per current post, i'm going to prepare it tomorrow. Gotta force myself to work with those one-liners i received (seriously though - and it's supposedly Starglass's remark that is cringeworthy here?)

You've shown you can do better than that.
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:02 pm

There's only so much that's worth doing, to perpetuate a conversation.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:46 am

I'm not bashing on what you came up with. It's true that's all you technically need to progress. Nonetheless, even as little can be presented in a way that is interesting/pleasant to read for others.

Personally, i think that it is something worth caring for.

Sliver. Despite posting just one sentence, you didn't manage to write it without an obvious mistake. You didn't edit it out later either.
sunbeam. You've posted... four minutes after Sliver?

For now, we're the only ones to enterain ourselves with. There's no need to hurry yet, so take your time, okey?
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sliverbrony Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:02 pm

One, i didn't find the mistake at First Try after you Pointed it out, I don't think it's that obvious to a nonnative speaker.
Second I think your multiparagraph responses with multiple conversationparts and actions rushed things. I personaly prefer it if people only describe one Action/response per Post, as that makes it easier to have one's character react to Most of it and also slows the packing down a bit.

Lastly, i'm writing this on my phone in my Way home from work so please, as it Takes a hell of an effort to Turn of the German autokorrekt, don't be surprised by Spelunke errors.

Sliverbrony
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:17 pm

It seems it's a good thing that i started this conversation. I'm glad you have decided to voice your issues with my replies. I'm only surprised you have't done so earlier.
After all, this topic is for us to be honest with one another, for the sake of everyone's enterainment, isn't it?

That being said, i'll try to limit myself in the future. The length of the posts may remain similar, but the physical interactions with other characters will be cut down. The remaining text, if any, will be dedicated to describing Starglass's inward - for you to enjoy, yet not have to bother with game-wise. Would you be content with that? Of course, i could also post overall shorther messages, if that's an issue. Just say a word.

I've made the new post as an example of what i'd be having per character. Is that to your liking? I aim to please, so spare me not your critique. Better now than later.

I can totally get in your shoes when it comes to battling your own handy. Good thing you're saying, though next time just add "writing from phone" at the post's beginning as a warning instead, ok?

On a related note, i'll have you know i'm not a native speaker myself.

Also, i've decided to change my avatar, so i'll address that issue before others do.
It had its trial period and it has failed miserably. I'm still loving that guy, but the more i look at the avatar in that resolution, i can't shake off the feeling that it comes off as a grumpy duck.
Not quite what i had intended.

Hence, a more pony depicting of yet another, great passion of mine.
Anyone recognizing that pony?

Last edited by Terrestial on Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sliverbrony Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:28 pm

well I didn´t say something sooner, because it was more something unfamiliar to me to have such long osts in a PbP.
I don´t mind how long your posts are, but I will keep myself to one interaction if possible.

Sliverbrony
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next