Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Investigators of the Odd

+3
The Warrior of Many Faces
Quietkal
Cardbo
7 posters

Page 22 of 35 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28 ... 35  Next

Go down

Investigators of the Odd - Page 22 Empty Re: Investigators of the Odd

Post  Cardbo Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:37 pm

kajisora wrote:Brittle reels, looking shocked.
"T-That tree has a mind! It has no nervous system, how can it have a mind!?"

"Why not try talking to it? Its said that trees grow better when you talk to them." Cheese says with a grin.
Cardbo
Cardbo
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:56 pm

Cardbo wrote:

"Why not try talking to it? Its said that trees grow better when you talk to them." Cheese says with a grin.

Blackhawk raised his left eyebrow, swoop comically turning to an angle as he did so. Cheese's voice seemed...different.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:22 pm

The guide pony blinks. "It... what?"
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:26 pm

Zebulon turns to Cheese.

"Has something strange now happened to your voice?"
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:53 pm

Cheese clears his throat. "Sorry."

Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:03 pm

"I err... got curious of those spells you mentioned. When I was feeling around, it noticed me."
kajisora
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:34 pm

kajisora wrote:"I err... got curious of those spells you mentioned. When I was feeling around, it noticed me."
Kal looks questioningly over to the unicorn.
"Why would this tree be cognizant? Not to call into question your connection to magic, but if they had experts review the area, which I see no reason why they wouldn't, they would have already known that the tree is aware." The griffin looks down and continues to ramble to himself. "Although given the fact that a third of their profit stems from this one tree, pardon the pun, then keeping the fact that it's cognizant hidden would keep environmental activists from protesting, citing the fact that the tree might be aware of the cherries being plucked from it, thus shutting down quite a bit of profit and raising an inquiry into whether the rest of the trees are cognizant as well."
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:46 pm

"Let's... move on, shall we?" the guide says nervously, walking towards one of the buildings. The rest of the group follows, with mumbled conversations about the tree ensuing.
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:49 pm

Quietkal wrote:
kajisora wrote:"I err... got curious of those spells you mentioned. When I was feeling around, it noticed me."
Kal looks questioningly over to the unicorn.
"Why would this tree be cognizant? Not to call into question your connection to magic, but if they had experts review the area, which I see no reason why they wouldn't, they would have already known that the tree is aware." The griffin looks down and continues to ramble to himself. "Although given the fact that a third of their profit stems from this one tree, pardon the pun, then keeping the fact that it's cognizant hidden would keep environmental activists from protesting, citing the fact that the tree might be aware of the cherries being plucked from it, thus shutting down quite a bit of profit and raising an inquiry into whether the rest of the trees are cognizant as well."

"Let's... move on, shall we?" the guide says nervously, walking towards one of the buildings. The rest of the group follows, with mumbled conversations about the tree ensuing.

"I don't think the environmentalists would care. Well maybe some of them would, but as long as the tree is being taken good care of, it shouldn't matter, should it?"
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:51 pm

"It seems to be a fine, strong tree indeed," remarked Zebulon, following the tour group.
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:11 am

Cardbo wrote:"I don't think the environmentalists would care. Well maybe some of them would, but as long as the tree is being taken good care of, it shouldn't matter, should it?"
Kal cocks his head in Cheese's direction. "Hmm? Oh! Did I say all that aloud?" Kal shakes his head in disappointment, before raising it to continue to speak to Cheese. "But since the issue is raised; if the tree is aware it would feel the cherries being picked and or bucked from it. Which I would imagine would roughly feel like having your feathers plucked." Kal stares at the pony before realizing the metaphor might just pass by him. "It hurts. But I'm sure it's just an average tree...well as average as a tree planted in magically enriched soil could be." Kal looks down as he continues to follow the group, continuing to talk to himself. "Though pain is also more than likely a complex feeling and it's entirely possible that the buffalo magic didn't include the feeling when it gave awareness to the tree, assuming that the thermite unicorn is correct in his reading."
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:25 am

Quietkal wrote:
Kal cocks his head in Cheese's direction. "Hmm? Oh! Did I say all that aloud?" Kal shakes his head in disappointment, before raising it to continue to speak to Cheese. "But since the issue is raised; if the tree is aware it would feel the cherries being picked and or bucked from it. Which I would imagine would roughly feel like having your feathers plucked." Kal stares at the pony before realizing the metaphor might just pass by him. "It hurts. But I'm sure it's just an average tree...well as average as a tree planted in magically enriched soil could be." Kal looks down as he continues to follow the group, continuing to talk to himself. "Though pain is also more than likely a complex feeling and it's entirely possible that the buffalo magic didn't include the feeling when it gave awareness to the tree, assuming that the thermite unicorn is correct in his reading."

OOC: Whoops.

IC:"I've got some pretty good ears on me."

OOC:Retroactive Perception check to notice and hear Kal's mutterings
Roll(1d20)+14:
11,+14
Total:25

Cheese turns his head to Kal and says. "Its possible, as you say, that the tree might not feel it at all. Or its also possible, that if the tree does feel it, it feels no more pain than what a massage might feel like. Cherries do drop from trees all the time on their own."
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:14 am

Cardbo wrote:OOC: Whoops.
IC:"I've got some pretty good ears on me."
OOC:Retroactive Perception check to notice and hear Kal's mutterings
Roll(1d20)+14:
11,+14
Total:25
((You're good, I intended for the tour group to hear. Smile ))
Cardbo wrote:Cheese turns his head to Kal and says. "Its possible, as you say, that the tree might not feel it at all. Or its also possible, that if the tree does feel it, it feels no more pain than what a massage might feel like. Cherries do drop from trees all the time on their own."
Kal looks back up at Cheese, confused for a moment. "...I was speaking my thoughts again." Kal sighs, before adjusting his glasses and continuing. "That's also an entirely plausible theory. However, I'm afraid I'm not an expert in animating the inanimate, the magic used by the buffalo, or cherry trees, and thus cannot verify or refute either of these theories. I can however, build off of my analogy." Kal stops briefly to run a claw along his feathered neck, letting a loose feather pull off and into his claw before holding it out as an example. "While I may molt older feathers periodically, pulling them before they may do so on their own still causes pain." Kal lets go of the feather as the wind blows it away. "But! This is not why we are here. At least, it is not why I am here."
Kal away and at the cherry trees, allowing a small smile.
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:17 am

Blackhawk meanwhile, chose not to debate.

Instead, he simply paused at the back of the tour group for a second, patting the tree. "Keep up the good work," he said before continuing on like nothing had happened.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:23 am

The group reaches a massive, but otherwise nondescript building. Entering through the large double doors, they emerge into an expansive room where earth ponies run on treadmills to bring out cherries, while unicorns and other earth ponies (and the occasional pegasus) sort the cherries.

"This is our quality check station," the guide announces. "Here we have our best eyes examining the cherries for imperfections. Only the best are allowed into our finished products." She gestures to another part of the room. "Once sorted, the cherries go to the next station where they are sorted by color. At that point, we have pegasi fly the cherries to our other buildings."
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:21 am

Cardbo wrote:"I don't think the environmentalists would care. Well maybe some of them would, but as long as the tree is being taken good care of, it shouldn't matter, should it?"
Brittle grins at Cheese.
"Probably, they just don't want to have to pay it's wages."
To Kal:
"Oops, I'm sorry, I haven't introduced myself. Apart from the whole fire debacle of course.
I'm Brittle, I work with metals and I know some geology, so Cheese hired me to have a look at the mines."
kajisora
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:35 pm

kajisora wrote:To Kal:
"Oops, I'm sorry, I haven't introduced myself. Apart from the whole fire debacle of course.
I'm Brittle, I work with metals and I know some geology, so Cheese hired me to have a look at the mines."
Kal cocks his head questioningly at the unicorn. "Fire debacle?" Kal then shoots a leer as he remembers the end of the previous night. "Oh yes. The fire debacle. And yes, I remember speaking to you last night. You were almost no help in my investigation."
((So I guess the whole "pretend to be Cheese's twin brother in public" thing went out the window. :I))
((Can't decide if want to roll History on Cheese. Now that I say that aloud, it probably would actually be Streetwise.))
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:42 pm

Quietkal wrote:"Fire debacle?" Kal then shoots a leer as he remembers the end of the previous night. "Oh yes. The fire debacle. And yes, I remember speaking to you last night. You were almost no help in my investigation."
"What were you investigating? I was a bit preocuppied with setting the hotel on fire at the time."
kajisora
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Appkes Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Barabus nudged Kal gently as he ambled past.
"Not right now, not in public.", he murmured to the two of them.
Appkes
Appkes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:04 pm

kajisora wrote:"What were you investigating? I was a bit preocuppied with setting the hotel on fire at the time."
Kal heaves a sigh, sinking his face into his claw. "Still making a story on the vigilante for a newspaper that no one reads."
Appkes wrote:Barabus nudged Kal gently as he ambled past.
"Not right now, not in public.", he murmured to the two of them.
Kal rolls his eyes as the minotaur pushes past him. "So Ms Tour Guide. What are the markings of a 'good' cherry?"
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:15 pm

Quietkal wrote:"So Ms Tour Guide. What are the markings of a 'good' cherry?"

"Good cherries are firm and have a darker color," the tour guide replies. "Another indicator of quality is the stem: if it's bright green, that means it's a good cherry."
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:29 pm

The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:"Good cherries are firm and have a darker color," the tour guide replies. "Another indicator of quality is the stem: if it's bright green, that means it's a good cherry."
Kal nods. "Interesting! And what do you do with the uh...'bad' cherries? I would hazard that there's some sort of...recycling them back into the orchard."
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:31 pm

Quietkal wrote:
The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:"Good cherries are firm and have a darker color," the tour guide replies. "Another indicator of quality is the stem: if it's bright green, that means it's a good cherry."
Kal nods. "Interesting! And what do you do with the uh...'bad' cherries? I would hazard that there's some sort of...recycling them back into the orchard."

"Good guess!" the guide says with a smile. "Our bad cherries are processed into our fertilizer. Thankfully, we won't be seeing that process today..."
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Brony 7 of 9 Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:34 pm

"Cherries to cherries, just as dust to dust," remarked Zebulon.
Brony 7 of 9
Brony 7 of 9
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Appkes Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:40 pm

"Cherries to Cherries,
dust to dust,
why're we learning 'bout orchards?
We should get moving - fast."

Last edited by A for Appkes on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Appkes