Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Brand New System - Official Announcement

+17
Paper Shadow
Fury of the Tempest
mjh6
Crystalite
Quietkal
tygerburningbright
Pingcode
AProcrastinatingWriter
ZamuelNow
A1C Bronymous
Xel Unknown
Philadelphus
Lapis-Lazily
Brony 7 of 9
Dusk Raven
Zarhon
Stairc -Dan Felder
21 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

A Brand New System - Official Announcement - Page 6 Empty Re: A Brand New System - Official Announcement

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri May 02, 2014 3:22 am

I'm happy to be bugged. We've done initial design of all the player content and we're moving to development. Ideally, this means stepping away from the system for a little while to get a fresh perspective when we come back. In the mean time, most of us have been working with an independent studio in Belgium on their board-based digital card game.

However, this week we started development in-depth again. The new handbook will be released when its ready, which might be quite a while. I sincerely hope that we'll be ready for open beta before summer vacation.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

A Brand New System - Official Announcement - Page 6 Empty Re: A Brand New System - Official Announcement

Post  mjh6 Fri May 02, 2014 3:24 am

Me damn it, Twi  I actually meant the ponyhandler's guide. really should have read over the comment correctly
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri May 02, 2014 4:00 am

Lol, no problem.

The GM's guide will come once we have the player content relatively nailed down, because the GM's guide is based on the Player content.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri May 23, 2014 7:17 am

Hasn't been an update in almost a month, so here's some information.

1) We're currently on track for a summer release of open beta for the rework. It will likely appear in late june.

2) Our first ever session in the new system will be played this weekend. It's a level 10 finale to my longest-running campaign. It's gone on for 3 years and the finale will conclude in an all-day session that will test the rework as well.

3) The rebalance of combat seems extraordinarily successful thus far. There are lots of cool combos, but we left out the broken ones.

4) I'm really excited to play the game this weekend. Let you know how it goes. =)

Last edited by Stairc -Dan Felder on Fri May 23, 2014 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri May 23, 2014 11:33 am

Late June huh? So only about one month left to wait? Awesome!

Do you have any example techniques to share? We haven't seen what they could be like.

And outa curiosity... is Self-Discovery still a Destiny? If so, can we have a peak at what its like now?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri May 23, 2014 2:33 pm

Yep, only about a month. =)

I can't share any techniques yet, as we're filling all the other building blocks first (techniques should only be used when abilities and powers can't). As for self-discovery, it's not currently a destiny because we're working on a very focused set of destinies for the initial beta tests (it's easier to test when there's a smaller amount of content so you can find out what works right). However, we plan to provide some form of destiny customization option in the future. Self-discovery was great for that, so we'll definitely be exploring its design space in additin to brand new options.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri May 23, 2014 2:45 pm

Alright, fair enough, fair enough. from the sounds of it, techniques might not even be at the start of the open beta.

Curious to see what you'll do for destiny customization, Self-Discovery was by far my favorite destiny.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri May 23, 2014 2:47 pm

Destinies melding combat and non-combat already are getting to explore some technique space. For example, there's one that lets you transform into a dragon. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri May 23, 2014 2:55 pm

Oh? We have a dragon destiny? Awesome
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun May 25, 2014 6:48 am

We do, and two players ran it for the finale. It got absolute rave reviews.

The system played far, far above expectations in our test. There were definitely rough edges which we'll work to smooth out, but overall things felt great and it was awesome to enjoy. Players reported having a lot of fun with customization and gameplay, while the destinies really shined in terms of showing off major character customization both in and out of combat. I'm very excited. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun May 25, 2014 11:59 am

Goodto hear it! Can't wait to try it out myself.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:56 am

I've had a series of medical issues hitting one after the other, so the open beta will be a few days late. I'm looking forward to sharing it with everyone.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:18 am

So... When can we expect the beta to start?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:56 pm

The moment I get time to finish things up. I'm moving right now, but I'd expect to get the time within the next few days. I can at least open up rough copies of the player materials. The only thing left to work out is the basic monster math - which unfortunately always has to be left until the end because the player capabilities need to be worked out first.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:23 pm

So... by the end of the week?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:09 pm

Player's Handbook for Wanderlust, our name for the new system, will be out today. Looking forward to seeing feedback so we can improve the rules explanations.

The current version is not pony-focused, but rather is designed for all high fantasy concepts (which should also adequately support the traditional Equestria setting). It can also be reflavored for other settings, such as Fallout, quite easily.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:22 pm

Ooooooh yes....
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:20 pm

The Beta handbook will be up in under an hour.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:32 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Player's Handbook for Wanderlust, our name for the new system, will be out today.
Sunbeam's character in my Mystery Ahoof game is named Wanderlust. This made me laugh.
Copper Rose
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:37 pm

Under a hour... After I finished with the movie. That is awesome timing
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:48 pm

A Brand New System - Official Announcement - Page 6 Tumblr_inline_n382ei4NdP1rgv04o
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:00 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:11 pm

Half a minute in, I see this.
For example, we don’t have any ability that gives players a resistance to fire

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Well this is just some kind of new stuff, huh? Ability Tiers, Defenses (which could just be skills anyway), different Nat20/Nat1 rules (which honestly probably makes no difference anyway).

Off the bat I know at least two of my characters that I can't in any way play in this system, so that's a bit of a negative. Maybe if the game started at level 10. Assuming level 10 is still max level.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:33 pm

We built Wanderlust from the ground up, using the best mechanics we could come up with. However, Living Legends had a lot of things we loved about it. When we had a problem that Living Legends had a solution for, we were happy to steal from ourselves.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next