Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coming Soon...

+15
A1C Bronymous
SimpleZen
threezeus
Prof. Charles Hoofington
AProcrastinatingWriter
LoganAura
Philadelphus
XandZero2
Jason Shadow
Videocrazy
Inferno1114
Demonu
Ramsus
Zarhon
Stairc -Dan Felder
19 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Coming Soon... - Page 5 Empty Re: Coming Soon...

Post  Ramsus Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Er, there's a big difference between Pinkie Promise and what you're suggesting. Pinkie Promise functions at behest of what's in the interest of the character. Karmic retribution for even a possibly accidental death (it was slippery and Old Buck Steve tripped and died, how dare you, lose your level 10 feature for the rest of the game!) or heck, even an intended one (I knew King Hayry the 8th would be walking along his rope bridge that night to get to his secret Vault so I set up howling winds) is at the will of the PH. One is a usually punishment to someone else and the other is a punishment to you for being clever or the PH making the call "nope, you don't get to have that" (or his dice doing so which is still inherently unfair).

Does the person who detect lies lose their power if the person who was uncovered as a liar gets shanked in pony prison? Does the Shield guy lose his if someone dies because their hastily made bomb hits the barrier and explodes, taking them out with it? Those both seem pretty unlikely and those would be as much indirect effect as my earlier example for what to do with Green Pony. You can plan for them but, you can't use them directly to kill people. I think that should be enough.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:42 pm

We could just add in the word "purposefully" to the "if you kill somepony" clause.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  threezeus Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:46 pm

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:
Knighthood:

Interesting. Overall it seems a little under powered to be honest and it lacks the sheer awesomeness of some of the other destiny lines.

The first one is okay. Balance wise it fits in my opinion, but it's kind of bland.

The second one is iffy. You'd need a good justification for taking damage, and one doesn't always present itself. I mean, if somepony fell down a cliff, you couldn't just say "Nope, I was the one who fell down that cliff. He's fine." Not the mention the fact that the ability itself is kind of underpowered. Out of combat hasn't occurred that often in my experience, and when it does it's not a huge deal.

The last one especially needs to be much cooler. Far more than 20%. Like, 200% cooler maybe. And more powerful. Knowing there's danger is a cool ability to play with, but it's totally not a level 10 ability.
threezeus
threezeus
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:48 pm

That's still bad in my view. It's imposing designer morality onto mechanics which should be divorced from it (yes, Harmony is called Harmony but, it's just a name). Also, you really want to discourage people thinking up clever ways to do things with powers? That seems like a bad idea.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Ramsus wrote:It's imposing designer morality onto mechanics which should be divorced from it (yes, Harmony is called Harmony but, it's just a name).

Not necessarily, and it's an easy fix. If you can change the flavor of Harmony, you could change the flavor of that limitation. For example, if it's a privilege that can be wrenched from you rather than a power you always have.

Ramsus wrote:Also, you really want to discourage people thinking up clever ways to do things with powers? That seems like a bad idea.

Making a rule specifically forbidding the cool use of the power actually discourages people from using the power that way even more.

Last edited by Stairc -Dan Felder on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:57 pm

Ramsus wrote:That's still bad in my view. It's imposing designer morality onto mechanics which should be divorced from it (yes, Harmony is called Harmony but, it's just a name). Also, you really want to discourage people thinking up clever ways to do things with powers? That seems like a bad idea.

I don't think it's just a name, actually. You don't just earn Harmony by defeating monsters, after all. You earn Harmony by learning lessons, sharing experiences with friends, writing poems, getting the monsters to leave peacefully or protect the town, and just generally by doing good things. And that's not my personal view on what a PH should do, either; that's what's directly stated in the rulebook. And it also states in the rulebook that doing really really evil things lowers the party's Harmony.

I mean, certainly all that can be changed to if you're going for an evil campaign, but either way Harmony is a lot more than a fancy name for EXP.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  threezeus Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:59 pm

I don't think a weather crafting destiny is a good idea. Seems too race specific. I know you said anypony, but how is an earth pony going to make rainstorms with a lasso? Besides, weather really should stay the pegasus' domain in my opinion.

The other problem with it is that it's either going to be severely overpowered or severely underpowered. I see no middle ground. The effects are either cataclysmic, or inconsequential.
threezeus
threezeus
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:03 pm

Ramsus wrote:That's still bad in my view. It's imposing designer morality onto mechanics which should be divorced from it (yes, Harmony is called Harmony but, it's just a name). Also, you really want to discourage people thinking up clever ways to do things with powers? That seems like a bad idea.

I don't think it's just a name, actually. You don't just earn Harmony by defeating monsters, after all. You earn Harmony by learning lessons, sharing experiences with friends, writing poems, getting the monsters to leave peacefully or protect the town, and just generally by doing good things. And that's not my personal view on what a PH should do, either; that's what's directly stated in the rulebook. And it also states in the rulebook that doing really really evil things lowers the party's Harmony.

I mean, certainly all that can be changed to if you're going for an evil campaign, but either way Harmony is a lot more than a fancy name for EXP.
I've seen games where you earn XP for all those things.....

@threezeus: Really? They just squeeze the cloud. It's obvious! Don't be silly! Wink
Your concerns are noted and we're trying to work around that. And so far I think we've more or less got it down.

Edit: Ok, right. We can't have it forbid killing people indirectly. Lava moat. That totally kills intruders. Who are by no means innocent victims. They could clearly see the lava moat and weren't given permission to enter.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:07 pm

Ramsus wrote:

I've seen games where you earn XP for all those things.....
Yeah but those games weren't Pony Tales and Harmony isn't exp.

And I don't think we've got Green Pony all worked out yet. We've spend the last 1 and a half page discussing it without a clear consensus on it.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:10 pm

I'm not too worried about, "what is harmony". If people want it to reflavor it for their games, that's fine. In fact, Ramsus' arguments that it can so easily be reflavored support the idea that a limitation on "why killing someone leads to losing the power or some other punishment" can easily be flavored appropriately and isn't bound to a, "moral judgment of the designers".
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Hmmm, ok let's see it with the newer stuff added and see if you guys will finally accept it (for who she is!).

Green Pony - Daily Magic
Preparation Time: 3-6 Hours depending on effect
Your mastery of the world around you is nearly complete. You may produce natural effects and alter the natural world up to an area of 10 miles. You can choose for your effects to constantly follow wherever you go, stay centered on a spot of your choosing, or even move from a chosen place in a manner of your design at a walking pace. You may cause a forest to overgrow a small town in an afternoon, live in permanent day or night, or maybe even throw the natural laws into chaos. Still, you're no Princess Celestia or Luna but, you are the next best thing and because of your narrower focus even they would have trouble contesting your influence over an area. You can only control one such effect at a time but, do not need to expend your daily use of this feature every day to maintain the current effect. You can't create any effect that would directly harm anypony, such as magnitude 8 earthquakes, a giant hurricane (though fierce winds are ok), or fire and brimstone raining down into an inhabited town.

Note that I added maybe to the chaos type stuff. That leaves it up to PH discretion. I didn't want to rule out raining fire and brimstone entirely because...well, it's just awesome. I did a compromise with the wording and went with harm instead of kill. I'm hoping that will avoid us having to tack on an unflavorfull "if you kill someone" clause. I also increased the potential time and left the MP cost. Also in case anyone says "ah but, you could create fire and brimstone and just have it follow you"...no. That's still directly harming. So some effects you actually can't make moving or non-moving (< no sure what that would apply to but, I'm sure someone will think of one) because they would be directly harmful. I'd leave it up to the PH to say whether or not you can't try to make it do the movement in the first place or if it just ceases once it would end up harming someone by it's action and not theirs. (So awesome lava moats are still a viability for Rainbow Dash the Weathermancer of Supreme Awesomeness.)
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:35 pm

Well, it's a tad better, that's for sure.

My main conflict with it remains that playing god in a 10 mile radius is still playing god.

But others are more qualified to comment/polish on this Destiny so I'll refrain from butting in anymore.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:37 pm

Drop it to 3 square miles? I think that's good enough, and is flexible enough to be a 1x3 mile rectangle rather than a 1 mile radius circle.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Personally I like units of 5 best so if it were going to decrease I'd say to 5 not 3 but, why does it need to be smaller? Again, Shield can end up covering hundreds of miles and protecting....I am not even sure how friggin many ponies. A lot. Tens of thousands at least? Quite possibly hundreds of thousands but, I have no idea how large even Canterlot is supposed to be.

Last edited by Ramsus on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:43 pm

1) Shield does not, by any means, exist as an official talent yet. Balancing against it isn't exactly meaningful.

2) I think five miles is pretty much the same as ten miles when it comes to these things.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:47 pm

Yeah, but I like Shield a lot. I didn't have any hand in making it but, I totally want to see it be official. I just love the flavor and mechanics of it.

I totally agree with your second point. It's already at "really dang big" at 3 or 10 miles and won't be "holy cow pies batmare!" till you get much much larger.

((I am getting a lot of making myself giggle mileage out of batmare, thanks again for that. Heehee.))
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  SimpleZen Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Ramsus wrote:Hey Stairc, for Multi-Talented do you think we could add my second Cutie mark skill idea as an alternate option. I think this would fit the theme of the Destiny and allow the to focus on a second thing. It would also let non-ponies be able to have a skill that was equal to ponies' skills (they still wouldn't get cutie mark criticals of course).

Ok now onto the...

Weather Weaver
Cloud Wrangler - 2/day (I went with less than Healing Hooves since this allows non-pegasi to use a pegasi racial trait and because you don't have to have such a specific set of circumstances to use it.)
Through natural pegasi talent, preternatural lassoing skills, or magic spell you command the weather and it obeys. You may make a skill check to Weather Craft as though you rolled a natural 20.

Sunny or Otherwise Disposition
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
You constantly produce a minor natural effect in your immediate area or limited to your own personal space. It can be anything from a personal raincloud, being followed by constant winds, soft thunderclaps when your hooves trod upon the earth, grass growing wherever you walk, to clouds, rain, and wind dispersing leaving you constantly bathed in the light of the sun or moon. This overpowers any natural and possibly certain magical weather conditions. Weather Crafting may be used to alter these effects as appropriate but, before long your effect on the world around you will resume.

Green Pony
Preparation Time: 3 Hours
Your mastery of the world around you is complete. You may produce natural effects and alter the natural world around you for as far as you could see unobstructed on a clear day. Whole cities or towns now fall under your effect and your ability to alter the world has increased immeasurably. You can choose for your effects to constantly follow wherever you go, stay centered on a spot of your choosing, or even move from a chosen place in a manner of your design at a walking pace. You may cause a forest to overgrow a town in an afternoon, live in permanent day or night, or even throw the natural laws into chaos. Still, you're no Princess Celestia or Luna but, you are the next best thing and because of your narrower focus even they would have trouble contesting your influence over an area. Your own major limitation is that you can only control one effect at a time.

Hah, how's that for "too weak" Stairc!? Mwahahahahaha! *ahem* Er.... Right. Well, thoughts?

Lets start by breaking down the progression of thought a player is gonna have when looking at this destiny

1) Oh hey nifty i get to roll a nat. twenty on weather craft twice a day even if I'm not a pegasus, that gives me an idea to make a non-pegasus with weather related cutie mark.

2) Sweet my own personal weather, that's fricken awesome~. I could go through the dessert without getting hot, walk through rain without getting wet, or trek through snow and not get cold.

3) OMFG!!! I'm god now? Why the frick wouldn't I take this destiny at level ten I'll be unstoppable, game breaking here i come!!!

The main problem with number 3 isn't that its overpowered though (not to say it isn't an issue). No the real problem is that you completely lost track of your idea for this design. You go from awesome, useful, and flavorful, to something unrecognizable. That part of the destiny has only the vaguest connection to the other levels in that weather technically falls into your domain to. My advice to you is to look at the third level and think of it from the position of the first and second. It doesn't need a reflavoring it need a completely fresh look, and if you can't think of anything I'll gladly offer an alternative The destiny obviously has potential you just got sidetracked.
SimpleZen
SimpleZen
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:01 pm

You realized that you managed to ignore the updated version of that feature right in a couple posts previous right?

And, I don't see how I lost track of the design at all (it was actually the first thing I thought of, what preceded it was just an obvious derivation). It fits perfectly as an upgraded version of the feature before it. If someone wants the theme there to be weather control well, it's best designed to do that. But, just because it's best designed for that doesn't mean that's all it should be able to do. Other people might have other less specifically weather craft related ideas that would work with it. So I left it open for that stuff. If someone thinks that things it can do doesn't fit their character's theme....they can just not do those things. I didn't intend it for only weather guys, that's just the most obvious choice. I tend to design my ideas with the knowledge that I have many many times wanted to make something specific only to be blocked by something that otherwise would have worked perfectly being phrased too narrowly for simply the sake of the designer having a very specific flavor for it in mind.

Edit: I'll point out that growing grass wherever you walk isn't weather either. So basically yeah, it works for weather crafters but, also is intended to work for druids, geomancers, or whatever.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  threezeus Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:08 pm

threezeus wrote:A note on the detective destiny.. I'm really not sure about the OOC knowledge. It seems to me that it really doesn't belong, and that fourth wall breaking should have it's own place separate from all others. On that note...

Since the idea has been toyed with, here's a quick draft of a possible Fourth Wall destiny.

Fourth Wall Observer
Aside Glance Once per Session
You've developed a most peculiar habit. Every once in awhile, usually when something odd or humorous happens, you glance over your shoulder in a knowing fashion, a slight smug grin adorning your face. Most ponies never notice it, and those who do can't really comprehend it. Who exactly are you looking at anyway? Even you're not really sure, but you know somepony, or something is receiving your looks. Sometimes, you can even sense some sort of response. Take one piece of out of character knowledge, whether it be something about the game, the MLP Universe, or even something completely unrelated, and make it permanently in character knowledge for you alone.
Additionally, for some reason you don't quite understand, you occasionally refer to things such as towns and cities as their namesakes. For example, you might slip out a "Camelot" when trying to mention Canterlot.

Medium Awareness
You don't actually control your own actions, the player does. Except, you are the player, aren't you? Are you and he or she one and the same? Confusing, isn't it? You haven't fully figured everything out, but it's all starting to come together. You're not exactly real, then again who's to say what's real and what's not? You're a character someone made to play something called a role playing game, isn't that interesting? Kind of distressing too if you think about it. You try not to think about it too much. You've started to recognize that all the things you and your companions do aren't really determined by their own skills. It helps, but it really all comes down to the player's dice. While any player is considering a skill check which you are aware of, you can identify the DC required for it, whatever that means. You also have the ability to stop time, so to speak. You can't do anything while time is stopped, but it gives the player some time to think. Find yourself in a tricky conversation or sticky situation and need a plan fast? Not to worry, you can stop time down here, and the player can have as much time as he wants to think it out up there.
You've also developed a couple new verbal habits. For one, sometimes you accidentally refer to player characters as the name of the actual player, and sometimes when introducing yourself you even use your own player's name before correcting yourself. If you're savvy enough, you might also speak in tropes occasionally, like referring to that magical artifact your party has been after all this time as the MacGuffin. Most ponies say Celestia's or Luna's name in vain when frustrated. You on the other hand say the DM's name in vain.

The Fourth Wall
Unfortunately, no pony can be told what the Fourth Wall is. You have to see it for yourself. You've become fully aware of the other side. You almost feel like you've been there. You're aware of the TV show, of Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony, and the true nature of your reality. But hey, wso what? If you're made up, why not enjoy life anyway? Out-of-character knowledge and in-character knowledge are one and the same, and you may communicate with any of the other player characters regardless of how close they are to you in game, though they can't necessarily talk back unless you want them to. Your Aside Glance now allows you to bestow out-of-character knowledge on another character, NPC or otherwise. Whenever you meet somepony new, you can ask the DM if they're relevant to the central plot.
Now that you've learned the true meaning of the Fourth Wall, your verbal tendencies make much more sense to yourself at least. You still slip out the wrong words from time to time, but at least you know what they mean.

Didn't get any feedback on this. Any thoughts? I'm thinking it's a bit underpowered. Maybe put some of the level 10 stuff into level 7, then add new things to level 10? Or is that a bad idea?

Aside Glance 1/Session
-Make one piece of out-of-character knowledge in-character knowledge. This can be anything, but try to make it a specific piece of knowledge.

Medium Awareness
-Identify DC's for any skill check you're aware of.
-The ability to take as much time as you want to consider a situation. Maybe a time limit should be put on this one though.

Fourth Wall
-ALL OOC knowledge becomes IC knowledge.
-Communicate with other PCs regardless of location.
-Aside Glance now lets you give other ponies pieces of OOC knowledge.
-Instantly know if an NPC is plot relevant.
threezeus
threezeus
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Hmmm. Aside Glance does seem a bit underpowered. I don't know if adding more usages of it is necessarily the solution though.

I don't really like Medium Awareness (the be specific I don't like the effect, the name is perfectly reasonable). There are often times when a PH just won't want to tell you what the DC for something is, for any number of reasons.

Fourth Wall, well I'm not sure I like giving other ponies basically what are features of your character's deal. About the relevancy check.... it needs a few answers the PH can give. Like: Yes, No, Depends, Yes and they have plot armor, No but they have PH likes this character armor, and What character? That way you can't use it to totally derail the game or ruin plots. Possibly give the PH that option of outright lying to you but, they have to give you some unseen benefit to make up for it.
Edit: This feature wouldn't fare too well in games I run. The answer would almost always be Yes, Depends, or What character? Because I tend to run sandboxy games and the players could cause any character they want to become plot relevant rather easily and even accidentally. And of course I just like screwing with my players sometimes.

Last edited by Ramsus on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  SimpleZen Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:48 pm

Ramsus wrote:You realized that you managed to ignore the updated version of that feature right in a couple posts previous right?

And, I don't see how I lost track of the design at all (it was actually the first thing I thought of, what preceded it was just an obvious derivation). It fits perfectly as an upgraded version of the feature before it. If someone wants the theme there to be weather control well, it's best designed to do that. But, just because it's best designed for that doesn't mean that's all it should be able to do. Other people might have other less specifically weather craft related ideas that would work with it. So I left it open for that stuff. If someone thinks that things it can do doesn't fit their character's theme....they can just not do those things. I didn't intend it for only weather guys, that's just the most obvious choice. I tend to design my ideas with the knowledge that I have many many times wanted to make something specific only to be blocked by something that otherwise would have worked perfectly being phrased too narrowly for simply the sake of the designer having a very specific flavor for it in mind.

Edit: I'll point out that growing grass wherever you walk isn't weather either. So basically yeah, it works for weather crafters but, also is intended to work for druids, geomancers, or whatever.

I'm perfectly aware that an updated version of Green Pony exists, the only reason I didn't bring it up is that its simply the original version reworded a bit and a "though shall not kill with this godly power" tagged on. I used the original pitch of the idea because it was the only place where i could find the whole destiny packaged as one. Which I needed for my take on the issue.

As for your second point, in design its imperative to stick to some kind of theme when working on something. The issue i bring up is simply that there is nothing in the first two levels of that destiny to suggest at the dramatic shift in tone for the third level of the destiny. So while yes grass growing at your feet is in fact only tangently related to weather it is also only mentioned in passing and could easyly be edited out of the final draft.

On to the Third point perhaps i was wrong and you do need a reflavoring. Weather Weaver will need to go since it obviously doesn't match your original intention. Perhaps "Avatar"? It has the connotation i believe your looking for and its something most everyone will understand when they read it. My only issue is that if you do walk that path the first two levels of the destiny are gonna need to be changed since they really don't fit that at all, and the third level is still gonna need to be toned down a lot.

My final point is my favorite suggestion on where to take this. Perhaps just create two destinies. One to fit your druid/geomancer thought and keep what you currently have for Weather Weaver but simply a change in the third level of the destiny

I look forward to your thoughts on the matter
SimpleZen
SimpleZen
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:49 pm

My thoughts are....that your suggestions are needless complications. Don't mean to be rude, let me explain.

I just entirely disagree with your point about the destiny needing a specific theme. It has a broad one that can be used to fit specific ones as needed. If something would work equally well for multiple themes working with the same mechanics you're just wasting time making the mechanics more specific for each theme. Also you will lose a lot of options in the process of splitting it in two like that. Also, when you make that divide you're specifying two or so themes that you see that fit the idea. For all you know you just killed six that would have worked. And then of course there's just no need to split it up. It doesn't function any better split up. All it does is do a thing I hate, which is to force designer theme down a players throat when there wasn't a need to do that at all. Most likely any destiny will end up with half of all players re-working the flavor on them or asking PH's if they can do some slightly different thing that what they are already specified to do. When this happens you are more likely to create imbalances and issues than you are when designing something. Especially true the more specific the original mechanics that are being modified are. So, yeah, not only do I not see any good reason to re-work it to fit each and every theme it can work for, it's a bad plan because it will limit creativity and is more likely to cause problems.

Oh and to address the godly power statement....yeah, those changes might have been a few words but, they had a huge impact on what you can do with the feature. Yes, you're allowed to be a little more creative with it than some other destiny features but, frankly, that's inevitable for the concept even if you were to divide it into more specific parts. Weather Crafting and related ideas are already "use your creativity" tools where a lot of other things are very specific. And that's fine, some things need specificity and others need space for creativity. (And I keep wondering why people think bringing people back from the dead is a non-offense to "omfg godly powers". It's not even the capstone ability and yet is the one thing in almost all narratives that is "the thing you can't do, because you can't do it, not even gods can" or if you can almost always ends badly or has an insane cost. I personally have no problem with it but, it's still confusing to me why people go think bringing people back from the dead is ok and a 10 mile wall of wind is horribly overpowered somehow. The first is a thing you just can't otherwise do or even approach doing and the second is something you can roughly replicate with enough effort from enough pegasi.)

As for the name of the destiny? *shrug* I think there might already be something named what you suggested. Honestly I just threw down a name that I knew wasn't taken and vaguely fit. People are very unlikely to say in character that their Destiny is Weather Weaver or Dragon Rider of Pern or Shield of the Ebony Hamburgers or Intimidator Skypiratacy Entrepreneur. They'll re-word things to make sense in their campaign and to match their character anyway so, whatever name you come up with is just to keep track of the features associated with it and otherwise largely irrelevant because it will be discarded and replaced with more personal flavor the moment it's used. The only reason I even think not naming things "Destiny 1" "Destiny 2" etc, is because the names provide a clue of what's in them. And that's really it, you always have to read something to figure out the specifics. If you come up with a better (less bland please) name that isn't already in use, I'm fine with that. Until then I'll stick with Weather Weaver because likely nobody else wants to take it and it has a nice ring to it.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:22 pm

SimpleZen wrote:
Lets start by breaking down the progression of thought a player is gonna have when looking at this destiny

1) Oh hey nifty i get to roll a nat. twenty on weather craft twice a day even if I'm not a pegasus, that gives me an idea to make a non-pegasus with weather related cutie mark.

2) Sweet my own personal weather, that's fricken awesome~. I could go through the dessert without getting hot, walk through rain without getting wet, or trek through snow and not get cold.

3) OMFG!!! I'm god now? Why the frick wouldn't I take this destiny at level ten I'll be unstoppable, game breaking here i come!!!

The main problem with number 3 isn't that its overpowered though (not to say it isn't an issue). No the real problem is that you completely lost track of your idea for this design. You go from awesome, useful, and flavorful, to something unrecognizable. That part of the destiny has only the vaguest connection to the other levels in that weather technically falls into your domain to. My advice to you is to look at the third level and think of it from the position of the first and second. It doesn't need a reflavoring it need a completely fresh look, and if you can't think of anything I'll gladly offer an alternative The destiny obviously has potential you just got sidetracked.

Good thoughts. I admit, the flavor of the last one does seem a little off. Like a forest-growing seems very little to do with weathercraft. But I think there have been some new design attempts.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  SimpleZen Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:38 pm

If that's the way you feel ramsus. *shrug*

Now let me go all the way back to page four to take a look at a different destiny.

Wordsmith
Occasionally, a book is written that goes down in history, praised by generations to come as a masterpiece of literature. It is very likely, whenever these occasions have chance to come up, that the book was written by a Wordsmith. To call the Wordsmith a writer is to call the ocean a body of water - technically accurate, but such phrases do not quite grasp the gravity of the thing.

An example of someone following the path of the Wordsmith is William Shakespeare.

The powers of a Wordsmith include:
The Right Word
The Wordsmith is, more than anything else, the being destined to choose the right word at the right time. You gain a permanent +4 to all persuasion checks you make. In addition to this, you also gain the Utility Trait Freaky Knowledge: Writing and Speeches. If you already had Freaky Knowledge: Writing and/or Freaky Knowledge: Speeches, you instead gain an additional +3 bonus to Persuasion.

Detailed Notes [2/day] Trigger: Any skill check you can perceive.
The Wordsmith's ability to write is so detailed and vivid that it can substitute for the normally unsubstitutable, though the magic in the words tends to fade. Copy down what the skill check was, what it was used for, and what the total roll was (e.g. Mechanics for Lock-Picking, 22). The next time you encounter a skill check used for the same thing, you may copy the roll instead of rolling your own die.

Conjure this Intrepid Fantasyscape Magic Preparation Time: 3 hours
The greatest worry of a master Wordsmith is not failing to describe something, but describing it too well. Your character takes some time to put pen to paper and describe the place they are currently at. At any time from that point onwards, you may as a standard action teleport up to six beings, including yourself, back to that place. You can only have one place set as a possible destination for this ability at any time.

The only level of this destiny that I don't like is Conjure this Intrepid Fantasy-scape. The main reason being that it just feels really out of place.

so a suggested alternative

Read Between The Lines - Magic
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Not everyone can be a wordsmith, but that doesn't mean that there is no magic in the common mans words. As long as there's feeling in the words your vivid imagination can bring that person to life. While in the possession of a piece of personal importance that involves the spoken or written word of someone, examples include diaries, letters, and recordings, you can make a phantasmal image of the writer with all knowledge that they possessed at the time of writing/recording with a duration of ten minutes.
SimpleZen
SimpleZen
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:39 pm

SimpleZen wrote:If that's the way you feel, that's the way you feel i guess. *shrug*

Quick question, who was this responding to? Me? Ramsus?

Just so I know. Because I liked your thoughts a lot. sunny
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next