Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coming Soon...

+15
A1C Bronymous
SimpleZen
threezeus
Prof. Charles Hoofington
AProcrastinatingWriter
LoganAura
Philadelphus
XandZero2
Jason Shadow
Videocrazy
Inferno1114
Demonu
Ramsus
Zarhon
Stairc -Dan Felder
19 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Coming Soon... - Page 2 Empty Re: Coming Soon...

Post  Demonu Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:06 pm

You need to be more specific on the last destiny trait.

I know level 10 destiny traits are supposed to be awe-inspiring but becoming a physical god on par with Celestia and Luna sounds overpowered. Especially with what you're suggesting it can do. Destroying an entire town on your own? Engulfing (a part of) the world in eternal darkness? (which technically could be done) Tearing off a landmass from Equestria, plant your flag on it, name it the Bananaramarepublic, crown yourself god-emperor of it and charge ridiculous amounts of bits from tourists who just want to have a margarita while lying on the beach to relax, seriously, what kind of pony demands 15 bits for a cocktail, it's outrageous, YOU MONSTER!

Destinies are awesome but I don't think you should be getting godlike abilities from it.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Videocrazy Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:29 pm

Jason Shadow wrote:- Living Bulwark
--> You have devoted yourself to protecting others, and your skill at safekeeping is second to none. Bonuses might include area denial, knowledge of object/person location (similar to Watching like a Hawk), shrugging off physical or mental assaults when others are in peril, etc. Basically think Shining Armor or any other "None Shall Pass"-type guardian.

- The Dreaded
--> A "dark version" of the Socialite, tales your deeds (whether exaggerated or not) have secured you a spot in myth and legend next to Equestria's most horrifying bogeymen. All but the most adamant individuals will quail in your presence or even outright flee at the sight of you, and even those who are supposedly more powerful than you hesitate to cross you. Bonuses may include easier intimidation, an unnerving/demoralizing aura, the ability to start a panic (or stop it) at will, near-unkillability on an "OH GODS, DIE! WHY WON'T IT DIE?!" level, etc. By no means should this be relegated to villains only; heroic examples of the Dreaded include Batman, Harry Dresden, and even Princess Luna.

- Ascendant
--> You seek to push yourself towards an ideal until you become the living embodiment of it, and will eventually metamorphosize into a being of unimaginable power. Bonuses might include resistance to harmful non-combat effects, ultra-specialization in a certain area, limited reality-warping, etc., and may be flavored accordingly depending on what concept you eventually seek to embody (Day, Night, Disharmony, Compassion, Mirth, Adventure, Speed, and so on are just a few examples, although some of these [like the first three] might already be taken by existing beings who might not appreciate sharing), but will eventually culminate into your transformation into the powerful, nigh-immortal Spirit of [Whatever], taking an appropriate "god-like" form along the lines of an alicorn or draconequus (although not limited to these - a changeling may become a Queen, or a baby dragon a Full-Grown one). For game and/or lore reasons, however, this should result in ascending to a higher plane of existance or at least adopting a strict limited-interference clause, and the allowance of this Destiny in a campaign in the first place should be approved by the DM beforehand. Examples include Vecna or St. Cuthbert from D&D, or Errand/Eriond from the Belgariad/Mallorean.

I definitely like the idea of this, though if I were DM'ing a permadeath campaign I'd be forbidding this. Miracle has some restrictions, such as requiring a mostly-intact body and a magic point. Being basically unable to die, on the other hand, kind of locks out a slot unless you screw up and the DM gets creative. I'm also curious as to how you can get around the "Does not affect combat" part of Destinies.

Speaking of Miracle...

Miracle – Magic
Preparation Time: 1 Hour
Your skill as a healer has become almost legendary. Now you can occasionally defy even death. You may resurrect a creature that died of unnatural causes. You must be able to touch the creature and the creature’s body must be reasonably intact.

Dan, you do remember there's a combat talent by the same name, right? Don't you think that might get a little confusing?

XandZero2 wrote:First off, why couldn't a Baby Dragon technically fight with you? If we go off the show, Spike's actually pretty scrappy when he wants to be. The Diamond Dog episode was a great example of that.

Because according to Dan, all Destinies are strictly non-combat. They're a flavor choice, and he doesn't want anyone forsaking a Destiny that looks good to them simply because another gives combat bonuses, and/or min/maxing.

XandZero2 wrote:-And on another tangent, there might ought to be some kind of sleuthing destiny too for the detective types out there. Then again, the Explorer destiny might work for them too.

I like this idea. I might brainstorm on this while I'm out.

In regards to that Beastmaster Destiny I mentioned, here's what I told Dan:

Beastmaster:

Animal Handler: Gain a +10 to Persuasion and Heal when dealing with a non-hostile creature of pony size or smaller or a friendly creature of any size.

(Name unknown) [Daily]: Convince a non-hostile creature of elephant size or smaller to assist you with one large or several small tasks.

Beastmaster: Gain a permanent companion of elephant size or smaller as a permanent companion. They will assist with any tasks they can reasonably assist with. The animal is unable to assist with combat. ((I'd say that they'd also help in combat, but I remember you want to keep Destinies seperated from that.))

Regarding the companion, size is a factor. Something like an elephant could help the party get around on land, while something like a naked mole rat can get into small compartments and sneak around unnoticed while a bigger conflict is going on.
And yeah, this STARTED as a Dragon Rider draft, but then I realized that the first two bonuses applied to creatures, so suddenly dragon on the last one wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.
Videocrazy
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:35 pm

Well, you could probably destroy entire towns on your own with just Weather Crafter anyway by throwing enough hurricanes at it. I did put the 3 hour preparation time on that for that kind of reason. I don't see any real problem with engulfing a place in darkness, the inventor one could probably do that too. I think the Bananaramarepublic option is pretty reasonable too considering that 1) it's not like people didn't have time to stop you. 2) Industrial Revolution makes permanent major changes to the entire world and allows you to take control of them whenever you like.

So, sure you have definitely more-godlike in theme powers but, this is in exchange for not getting rather strong other things like the ability to raise the dead and be immortal or invent walking cities and remote control them.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Ramsus wrote:Well, you could probably destroy entire towns on your own with just Weather Crafter anyway by throwing enough hurricanes at it. I did put the 3 hour preparation time on that for that kind of reason. I don't see any real problem with engulfing a place in darkness, the inventor one could probably do that too. I think the Bananaramarepublic option is pretty reasonable too considering that 1) it's not like people didn't have time to stop you. 2) Industrial Revolution makes permanent major changes to the entire world and allows you to take control of them whenever you like.

So, sure you have definitely more-godlike in theme powers but, this is in exchange for not getting rather strong other things like the ability to raise the dead and be immortal or invent walking cities and remote control them.
"You may produce natural effects and alter the natural world around you for as far as you could see unobstructed on a clear day. "
Walk to the peak of the tallest mountain in Equestria --> that's quite a view you'd have.

The 3 hour prep time is easy enough to evade. For instance, if people have no idea where to find you or even comprehend what's going on.

And I doubt the Inventor could do such a thing. Crazy Contraptions cannot be bigger than 20 feet on a give side so an area of 36m² isn't going to have much effect on a global scale.

As for the Industrial Revolution thing, you got that a tad wrong. Let's take for example cars. Yes, you can take control of them or force it to stop working whenever you like as long as you have access to it. This means you could stop a car coming towards you but not taking over every car in Equestria as you wouldn't have access to them. Actually, I don't think you could even stop the car from hitting you as having access would mean being able to interfere with the engine or the controls.

Flying cities wouldn't be covered by Industrial Revolution. Remember: it has to permanently advance Equestrian science/industry. A city that flies? That already exists, it's called Cloudsdale. Besides, who would live in a flying city other than Pegasi?

Bringing something back to life is a different genre because it has limitations:
- cause of death must be unnatural causes
- body must still be intact
- no unlimited use for raising an army of fallen ponies from former wars.

Again, the idea is good. You're just mary sue-ing it a bit, something that every game designer has with their first draft of an idea like this.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:If you newcomers want to get in on the latest Pony Tales development, check out the Destiny forum. =)

On it, Chief. tongue

Hmm. Now this is intriguing...though I can't really get the whole gist of it considering I am currently unable to find the level-up thread. Embarassed

I'm not too sure about my ability to create balanced "powers", but I'll give it a shot...and I'm pretty sure I can at least create some intriguing destinies. From what I hear they're supposed to not be combat-oriented? Well, this first one I'm about to throw at you sounds like it will be at first, but...

Knighthood

A knight's duty is to protect and serve, much like the Living Bulwark. Unlike the Living Bulwark, though, the Knight believes the best defense is a strong offense - and knows how to utilize this philosophy to the fullest. Knights are driven by a sense of justice and responsibility - not always a perfect sense, of course, but they do try. Knights do not need to join any military organization, though they often do anyway. The most spectacular ones, though, tend to work on their own for some reason.

Examples of those following the path of Knighthood include Dave Strider, Spider-Man, and Rainbow Dash.

A knight's powers include:
Danger Sense
Knights may not realize it consciously, but their experience dealing with the forces of evil have given them a crash course in where that evil dwells. When confronted with somepony (or somedragon or somegriffin, etc.) who wishes you or one or more of your allies harm but is attempting to hide the fact, you may automatically make a Perception check to attempt to uncover this fact with a +15 bonus.

Self-Sacrifice Daily Reaction: One of your allies is hurt outside of battle.
Knights always put others ahead of themselves, even to the point of facing danger for others. You may choose to take damage instead of your ally. You may be knocked unconscious or be defeated as a result of this damage, but you cannot die as a result of it. Any (save ends) conditions dealt as a result of the attack, including damage, is entirely nullified.

Save the Day
Whenever a neutral or friendly being within one mile is in danger, you are made aware of the general circumstances of the danger (when, where, why, how) through one of various methods: town crier, reading weather patterns, or just a general feeling that "something is wrong", etc. If you would normally be unable to get to the site of the danger, in time or at all, circumstances in your general area are changed to give you a very good chance of reaching the site in time.

Let's see, what other ideas do I have swirling in my treacherous brain...ah, of course!

Legend
A legend is one who is destined for greatness beyond greatness - one whose story, circumstances, challenges and feats are simply incredible. So incredible, in fact, that in generations to come, ponies will wonder whether you truly existed at all, or whether you were simply an ideal passed around the campfire in ancient times. Admittedly, about half the time, they'll be right to wonder - even when Legends did actually exist, they would tend to have their feats exaggerated, after all.

Examples of those following the path of the Legend include Link, Superman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and Starswirl the Bearded.

A legend's powers include:
Labor Daily
Legends are faced with greater tasks than the average being - but the reason they are Legends is because they rise to the occasion. You may take a +15 bonus to the next skill check you make.

Inspire
Simply being around a Legend pushes those who know them to greater heights than they would normally be capable of. All those in your presence (including yourself) may Cutie Mark Critical on a roll of 19 or 20 (18, 19, or 20 in the case of Earth Pwny). Those not normally capable of Cutie Mark Criticalling may choose a skill they may do so in while in your presence, but only on a roll of natural 20.

Stuff of Legend Weekly Reaction: Rolling a Cutie Mark Critical
When you use this power you may roll a D20 (no bonuses). If you Cutie Mark Critical again, your Cutie Mark Critical becomes a Legendary Feat - something that makes a critical success look like a foal stumbling in the dark. The Stunts check that allows you to suplex a moving train, the Double Sonic Rainboom that brings you close to lightspeed, the Persuasion-based speech that finally makes Discord see the error of his ways and repent - these are the Feats that put you amongst the ranks of Legend.

Here's one I'm always fond of in my stories, whether I write them or read them, though I can already tell this one's gonna be controversial and hard to incorporate...but hey, I like it.

The Everypony
Paradoxically, The Everypony is the Destined One without any sort of Destiny - they are, essentially, a completely normal being who just happened to come along for the ride. But that's the trick, you see: those with Destinies are, well, destined for great things...but those Destinies are also limits. Yes, those things the Destined can do can be done and will be done, but that is all they can do - no more. The Everypony is not so limited...which is why, under the right circumstances, with the proper tools, and a bit of cunning, The Everypony may save entire universes, move the immovable object, even send the gods themselves running in abject terror...and so very much more.

Examples of those following the path of The Everypony include Rincewind and Rory Williams.

The "powers" of The Everypony include:

Common Sense Daily
To find out what's really going on amongst the machinations of demons, witches, aliens, scientists, and gods, sometimes you need look no further than to ask Mr. Ivy at his flower stand. When you activate this power, you may ask the PH for clarification or information regarding one of three things:
- A character's motives
- A monster's history, weaknesses, and powers
- An explanation of where your party should go next and what they should do there.
The PH must answer honestly, with clarity, and without distortion of any kind.

Everyday Experience 2/day Interrupt: Any skill check you undertake.
One of the greatest strengths of The Everypony is its ability to adapt and grow beyond what those "higher" than it may predict. Provide as many examples as you can from your character's backstory (including previous gaming sessions) of situations that may directly apply themselves to the situation your character is in. You gain a +3 bonus to the upcoming skill check for every example you can come up with. (For example, you may be in the bententacled clutches of an Elder God, but despite all his mind-bending non-euclidean insanity those tentacles are an awful lot like that rabbit trap you made and then got caught in as a foal -and for that matter, an awful lot like that electro-net that mad doctor caught you in a week ago! You gain a +6 to your Stunts or Acrobatics check to squirm free from the starry squid's slimy suckers.)

A Good Man Goes to War Once Every Six Game Sessions
Set a condition, directly related to the current situation, which shall be named Victory (e.g. saving the world, defeating the monster, moving a mountain, baking the perfect pie). You and your character will both be given knowledge by the PH of how to obtain Victory. If you are not currently in a position to obtain Victory, circumstances will change to place you in position to obtain Victory. Any skill checks you make directly related to obtaining Victory receive a +10 bonus.

A/N: I am totally aware of the fact that The Everypony is probably a bit broken. This is not the final draft; I just wanted to throw the ideas I had out there and let you all look over them, give suggestions, etc. The others apply too, of course, but The Everypony, I'm aware, will likely be the one I'd need to put the most work into.

Last edited by AProcrastinatingWriter on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:31 pm

I'm pretty sure I said walking cities, not flying ones...

And I figured the wording for the size would have to change. I realize it wasn't very specific. I just wanted to make sure it was large enough to cover the area of a city because...blanketing half a city in eternal night....not as cool.

I don't recall the raising dead ability actually having those limitations written down.... as far as I know you could sit around for a year and raise warriors for an army. And you wouldn't really care about wasting a year doing it since you're immortal.

I figure it wouldn't be subtle at all, the best you could do to stay hidden is make a giant flood or something really far away from civilization but...it still just focuses on you or moves at walking speed. If you were anywhere within sight, they could probably notice you doing it. The immortal army can be raised out of sight too. The damage it could do is still comparable with just weather crafting a bunch of hurricanes and floods and takes several times longer.

So, if it's just a question of power in an appropriate area....then I'd say that balances out fine with immortality. One thing gives demi-godlike powers over the environment, the other over yourself.

Edit: "You may resurrect a creature that died of unnatural causes" That means you most certainly can raise anyone who died fighting. Yes, you need reasonably intact bodies so no raising a centuries old army that's now just skeletons but, you can graverob and demand of the raised they serve you. Sure, they aren't compelled to but "I brought you back to life and I can keep doing it" has got to be a pretty big bonus to a Persuasion check.

Edit: You also have to keep in mind what people are actually going to do with it. Heroic characters aren't going to run around leveling cities and if they have reason to, someone is probably going to be trying to stop them. If evil characters are doing it...well, that's perfect. That's what high powered villains do and what people have heroes around for anyway.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:50 pm

Immortality has been worded wrongly. It's actually agelessness as the PC in question can still be killed by knife to the face.

And yes, bringing someone back to life has those limitations. Considering you need to spend a magic point, it's not something you can keep doing ad infinitum. Besides, I think repeated resurrections of the same person would damage to body beyond repair so no, I don't think you can just kill and resurrect someone once a day.

Okay, walking cities. What's the advancement in that? Aside from driving cartographers and the entire public transportation system insane?

Again, the idea isn't bad per se. It just seems you're a bit too attached to it and not willing to change it. I'm pointing out potential flaws as constructive criticism to avoid one destiny being better than another. And I'm hoping you'll do the same once I get my Great Detective (name still pending) destiny idea up in this thread.

@ AProcrastinatingWriter:

I am liking those ideas. But as you said, some of those are a bit unbalanced. Isn't A Good Man Goes To War just resolving the plot/story? Anyway, I'll take a closer look at them when I'm more attentive and not about to go to bed.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:02 pm

Demonu wrote:
I am liking those ideas. But as you said, some of those are a bit unbalanced. Isn't A Good Man Goes To War just resolving the plot/story? Anyway, I'll take a closer look at them when I'm more attentive and not about to go to bed.

Yeah, A Good Man Goes etc. was the one that I knew I was gonna have to change. I know it's far too powerful as is, I just wanted to know how I could...reign it in.

I want something that basically says "alright, guys, I got this". Currently, it is indeed "resolve the plot". What I want is for it to resolve the current session's plot...with some effort by the pony in question. Basically turn your pony into The Man With The Plan. I just don't know how to say that, exactly, is the problem...

...I don't think any of that sounded ungrateful, but if it did, I apologize. I really am grateful for your help! Very Happy
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:56 pm

Well, a the point they have the immortality feature (I never thought it meant they couldn't get killed, I just think immortality is really powerful, which may be a totally personal opinon, I also think Industrial Revolution is really strong since you get to choose what suits you best and it's not like people aren't going to know you are the guy who made that awesomely important thing) they can do one from free and one with MP and while that is a sizable cut in time for such things, it's not likely it totally changes the power of it. Though I just blanked on it costing an MP, of course it should, even with the three hour prep time and one at a time.

With a better worded size and the cost of an MP would you see it as reasonable? Prep time could increase too but, I don't see a whole lot of point in that. Don't see too many other ways to make it more costs/less strong without basically nerfing it entirely.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:58 pm

Then perhaps it should be nerfed?

Lets see what other people have to say about it first.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:48 am

There's now a link in the original post to the level-up thread.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Shadow Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:06 am

I've made stats for my first two ideas. I'll put something out for Ascendant tomorrow, but feel free to suggest polish for these in the meantime.

Living Bulwark
None Shall Pass - 3/Day
You can position yourself in a hallway, on a bridge, or on any other sort of narrow pathway that cannot be bypassed by, say, simply walking around it. While you are blocking the path, no creature can get past you without your consent, not even by aerial or magical means, unless they succesfully manage to defeat you in combat first. Each use of ability stays in effect as long as you stay at your "post" and are able to remain conscious - biological neccessities cannot be safely neglected.

My Precious
Select one unique object or creature as your Ward. You always know the exact location of your Ward, and:
-If it's an object: Who's possession it's in, or
-If it's a creature: In what condition it's in (healthy, injured, unconscious, dying, etc).
If your Ward is killed or destroyed, then you automatically take 3d10 damage. After a 24-hour period after the loss of your Ward, you may select another object or creature as your new one.

Epic Shield - Magic
You may protect one location from all interlopers. Select one area the size of a large city (you must be within the area, but you need not be at the center of it). For the next 24 hours, no creature may enter the area without your consent, and you automatically know the species of every creature trying to enter.

The Dreaded
Unnerving Aura
You can intimidate ponies simply by standing there. All creatures that are aware of your presence, and not allied to you, take a -2 penalty to all skill checks. Additionally, you and all allies gain +5 bonus to intimidate all creatures affected by your Aura.

Dread Proclamation - 2/Day
Preparation Time: 10 Seconds
You perform a feat so fearsome, it terrifies all who view it. You may utter a single command, and it shall be immediately obeyed. The possible commands are as follows:
Be Still - All creatures in the vicinity immediately cease combat and become as still and silent as statues.
Tell Me What You Know - A single creature must truthfully answer your questions (to the best of its ability) for one minute of real-time. After that time has passed, it faints out of pure terror.
Flee Before Me - All creatures in the vicinity immediately do everything they can to get as far away from you as possible.
Particularly brave creatures (by the DM's discretion) may be resistant or immune to this effect, and you automatically know when it fails - therefore, a creature may shrug off the effects of Tell Me What You Know, but it cannot trick you with false information.

I am Terror - 1/Session
Preparation Time: 1 Hour
Spend the appropriate time alone with a single sentient creature. If you are not interrupted during this time, then the target develops a deep-seated phobia of you. Whenever it sees you or is otherwise threatened by your presence, it will react appropriately - attempting to flee, sobbing and cowering, surrendering unconditionally, or even attacking outright - according to its nature. Additionally, you may use the Dread Proclamation ability one additional time per day.

Last edited by Jason Shadow on Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jason Shadow
Jason Shadow
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:36 am

Hmm...I'm not sure if the 3d10 damage for My Precious is necessary, actually. Epic Shield may need a bit of clarification, "...select an area up to the size of a large city" seems more useful. Sometimes you just want your own room to be guarded, not everywhere, you know?

In addition, the "fainting from sheer terror" in Tell Me What You Know seems a little overpowered, as does I Am Terror giving an extra use of Dread Proclamation. The "creatures brave enough to resist" is too vague to work, unfortunately - I'd mark it up to a Perception check, maybe an Endurance check, only emotions-wise.

For all my criticism, though, it seems you've thought all of this out very well and very creatively - I commend the amount of appreciable effort that went into designing these Destinies!
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:53 am

I really like the sound of the Weather Weaver destiny, it just shot to the top of my list of destiny choices. The flavor is great, and it sounds like something my botanist/gardener/nature-loving character would have. I just have a few suggestions to help it be even better:
Ramsus wrote:
Weather Weaver
Cloud Wrangler - 2/day (I went with less than Healing Hooves since this allows non-pegasi to use a pegasi racial trait and because you don't have to have such a specific set of circumstances to use it.)
Through natural pegasi talent, preternatural lassoing skills, or magic spell you command the weather and it obeys. You may make a skill check to Weather Craft as though you rolled a natural 20.
I like this. You can only control the weather twice a day (for non-pegasi), but when you do it's a guaranteed success. And the ideas for how non-pegasi could do it are great flavor text, too.
Ramsus wrote:
Sunny or Otherwise Disposition
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
You constantly produce a minor natural effect in your immediate area or limited to your own personal space. It can be anything from a personal raincloud, being followed by constant winds, soft thunderclaps when your hooves trod upon the earth, grass growing wherever you walk, to clouds, rain, and wind dispersing leaving you constantly bathed in the light of the sun or moon. This overpowers any natural and possibly certain magical weather conditions. Weather Crafting may be used to alter these effects as appropriate but, before long your effect on the world around you will resume.
I love this. It sounds amazing, and would be perfect for any kind of druid character. I'm assuming you mean it to be an At-Will power? Also, does it continue indefinitely until you decide to stop it, or is there some time limit? I think the indefinite version would be fine, given how you've specified it's a minor natural effect (no F5-tornado constantly following you or anything). Also also, is it just one effect that you choose when you get it, or can you choose between different effects with a 10-minute preparation time? Re-reading it, I think you mean the former, which sounds good. Very flavorful.

Also, I totally want there to be thunderclaps when my hooves trod the earth. Very Happy
Ramsus wrote:
Green Pony
Preparation Time: 3 Hours
Your mastery of the world around you is complete. You may produce natural effects and alter the natural world around you for as far as you could see unobstructed on a clear day. Whole cities or towns now fall under your effect and your ability to alter the world has increased immeasurably.
This is the main one that might be slightly overpowered. "As far as you can see" is a bit ambiguous, and might be problematic (like if you were stuck down a well or something and couldn't see very far, or, as Demonu said, if you're on top of a really tall mountain). Let's see, Pegasi with the Heavy Weather talent can alter the weather within a 200-foot radius; if you want it to be able to affect an entire town, a half-mile or 1 mile radius would probably be plenty (and still way above what any normal pegasus could do).
Ramsus wrote:You can choose for your effects to constantly follow wherever you go, stay centered on a spot of your choosing, or even move from a chosen place in a manner of your design at a walking pace. You may cause a forest to overgrow a town in an afternoon, live in permanent day or night, or even throw the natural laws into chaos.
Still, you're no Princess Celestia or Luna but, you are the next best thing and because of your narrower focus even they would have trouble contesting your influence over an area. Your own major limitation is that you can only control one effect at a time.
I feel like this ought to have some sort of time limit, how does 1 day sound? (Since you could simply restart it the next day ad infinitum if you wanted to.) I would say that messing with the day/night cycle or throwing natural laws into chaos might be a bit too powerful and also out of character; to me this talent sounds like it's for someone who works within the cycle of natural laws by being in harmony with nature rather than working against them. I do like the idea of the level 10 bonus moving away slightly from only weather to more "nature in general", although that may be deemed too broad. Some ideas for stuff you could do at this level: summon a tornado or thunderstorm, create a beautiful auroral display, cause plants to grow and blossom, lift a reservoir of water up to Cloudsdale, make it snow or hail (or stop),.

All in all, great work, to me this looks great and we should be able to polish it pretty easily.

Also, should we maybe make a new thread for all these destiny ideas?
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:56 am

I'm going to have to agree and disagree with Proc (that's what I'm calling you now, your name is just too long and I am too lazy). The damage is indeed unnecessary. However I think the PH determining who was brave enough to not flee makes perfect sense. All I see Perception doing is telling them "oh, yes, this guy IS terrifying and may kill me". Otherwise we end up with Bird Watcher and Peeping Tom being some of the bravest guys in town. The extra use of Dread Poclomation is probably find considering the lengthy wind up time and the stipulation of being uninterrupted.

Knighthood looks excellent all around. I kept going "wait but...oh no, right, that's fair".

Legend: I could see Labor being more powerful but, then again it is pretty broad of use. How does Inspire interact with races that don't have Cutie Marks? Still 19-20, or just on 20? (That would seem to make the most sense since Earth Ponies get 18-20.) Stuff of Legend, I keep feeling like it needs limitations but, c'mon if you roll 2 sets of 2 nat 20's in a roll....well, yeah, whatever, you might as well be pulling out the crazy.

The Everypony: "A Good Man Goes to War Once Every Six Game Sessions" made me laugh because that was how I read it the first time. But, yeah, can it. Plots aren't a thing you even want to solve via mechanics. That's the point of playing the game. You should just think up something else entirely. I'd suggest something equally meta though. Because then we have our metaness destiny right there.

Ok, I commented on (and mostly approved of) your guys' stuff. Mind returning the favor? Smile
Edit: And of course I am ninja'd by someone doing just that. What is with me and getting ninja'd all the time?

Ok, so yeah. Sunny Disposition: I meant it to be at will and just on constantly. I also meant for you to be able to change the effect. I would expect most of the time people would voluntarily choose it to be one thing but, might switch to other things to suit their mood or aid their weather crafting purposes.

Green Pony: If we switch it to Daily do we drop the MP requirement or does it still need that? If we make it Daily, I think it needs some sort of specific language that means you can maintain the effect for as long as you like without using up your daily use of it each day. That way the time when you originally cast it/when you wake up in the morning isn't the only chance you have to change what you're doing with it that day.

I want it to be more than a mile so it can cover a city (heck, even a town is a lot larger than a mile) but, if people feel really strongly about making a lot smaller than that, then maybe 10 miles? That'd still be a really large area but, would still be smaller than a lot of real world smaller cities and nowhere near the size of the big ones.

As for changing the night/day and such, those are natural things as much as a blizzard in the middle of summer aren't they? And really I meant for this Destiny to apply more than just strictly druid types. Thus the chaos area and such possibilities. At that level you're as powerful as anypony can get. If your bag is influencing the world around you, I think it's ok to re-write a few laws of it within an area for as long as you're concentrating on keeping it that way. (I actually was thinking of Faceyface's Banana Nut Sundae there. A discordant flavored pony aught not to be excluded from having his way with the natural world just because we decided the flavor for this destiny needed to be more limited than it really did.)
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:16 pm

Alright, so first thing's first.

Ramsus wrote:
Spoiler:

It seems odd to have a power which is essentially just flavor effects? I think Sunny or Otherwise needs to buff a bit. And I know that Green Pony requires such a heavy uninterrupted time to prepare, but the effects...one tornado is capable of destroying entire cities. Several of them. Three hours for an infinite maelstrom of death and lightning is simply not enough, I'm sorry to say. I know you're attached to this power, but it needs nerfing like A Good Man Goes to War needs killing. Yes, I've admitted it and I'm making a new power though it's going to have the same name because I like that name and what (who) it represents.

Oh hey, speaking of...

A Good Man Goes to War [Session]
The Everypony, acting with clarity, is a force that cannot be stopped, bargained with, or withstood. Select any Element of Harmony and use its corresponding power without spending a Magic Point.

Knowing my luck, it's probably still overpowered. I know, you wanted something meta, right Ramsus? Wink Don't worry - I like making Destinies, for doing so is fun. I'll revist the meta concept, see if I can make it a bit stronger/stranger later? Thing will get pretty freaking weird, though, so yeah...oh, also, you were right to bring up Cutie Mark Criticals regards creatures that cannot normally get them - I feel sheepish about forgetting something like that! At any rate, I'll be editing my original post to better describe what that power should do regards...well, etc.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Videocrazy Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:34 pm

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:A Good Man Goes to War [Session]
The Everypony, acting with clarity, is a force that cannot be stopped, bargained with, or withstood. Select any Element of Harmony and use its corresponding power without spending a Magic Point.

Honestly? Lined up with the other level 10 Destiny abilities, that's rather... bland, and not really powerful besides. Maybe as a level 4 or 7.
Videocrazy
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:36 pm

Hmm... I'd say it's between a level 10 and a level 7. Definitely stronger than level 7s, but not *quite* as flashy as a level 10. Perhaps just making it look more impressive, without it actually being much more powerful, is the key.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:58 pm

So here's my take on the Detective destiny. This one operates on the notion that Perception can be used to gather information with all 5 senses, rather than just seeing or hearing.

Amateur sleuth
Your travels and adventures have vastly improved your perception and deducting skills and you start noticing things you would have previously overlooked. You receive a permanent +5 bonus to Perception.

Elementary, my dear - 3/day
Your senses and mind work together like a well oiled machine, allowing you to perceive and deduce things others couln't even think of. Three times a day, you can treat a Perception check as a natural 20 and deduce something extra. For instance, where your friends see a Diamond Dog Soldier guarding an entrance, you see that this particular Diamond Dog Soldier is on his second shift of guard duty, that the signs of fatigue indicate that he's getting drowsy so you need to pass a 30 DC to sneak past him and that, going by the dirt on his paws, his fatigue is caused by staying up late drinking with his buddies on the outskirts of the forest.

Equestria's Greatest Detective
Your mind and logic has become the stuff of legends, to the point there are ponies out there thinking of writing comics and books about you. You frequently get asked for advice by important people and you've become well read in many fields of study. Increase the Perception bonus from +5 to +7, gain a +3 bonus to Persuasion and Streetsmarts and you may take the Freaky Knowledge utility talent twice (each Freaky Knowledge subject must be different)

It's merely a rough draft and still subject to change but I want to hear some feedback before I change something.

I also got some other ideas but those are still on the metaphorical drawing table, as it were.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:09 pm

Hmmm, Equestria's Greatest Detective needs to be more than just skill bonuses I think.

@Proc: I like the idea but, yeah it's underpowered.

Sunny or Otherwise, yeah it's just flavor....until you use it for something. It can be a great tool for circumstantial weather craft, persuasion, heck even stuns checks. There's probably all sorts of neat things you can do with it. Still, if you have a suggestion for how to improve it I'm all ears.

Ok, lemme try Green Pony with all the newest suggestions and see what you guys think. I really really like it so, if it's salvageable I'd like to make it work somehow.

Green Pony - Daily Magic
Preparation Time: 3 Hours
Your mastery of the world around you is complete. You may produce natural effects and alter the natural world up to an area of 10 miles. You can choose for your effects to constantly follow wherever you go, stay centered on a spot of your choosing, or even move from a chosen place in a manner of your design at a walking pace. You may cause a forest to overgrow a small town in an afternoon, live in permanent day or night, or even throw the natural laws into chaos. Still, you're no Princess Celestia or Luna but, you are the next best thing and because of your narrower focus even they would have trouble contesting your influence over an area. You can only control one such effect at a time but, do not need to expend your daily use of this feature every day to maintain the current effect.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:13 pm

Demonu wrote:So here's my take on the Detective destiny. This one operates on the notion that Perception can be used to gather information with all 5 senses, rather than just seeing or hearing.

Amateur sleuth
Your travels and adventures have vastly improved your perception and deducting skills and you start noticing things you would have previously overlooked. You receive a permanent +5 bonus to Perception.

Elementary, my dear - 3/day
Your senses and mind work together like a well oiled machine, allowing you to perceive and deduce things others couln't even think of. Three times a day, you can treat a Perception check as a natural 20 and deduce something extra. For instance, where your friends see a Diamond Dog Soldier guarding an entrance, you see that this particular Diamond Dog Soldier is on his second shift of guard duty, that the signs of fatigue indicate that he's getting drowsy so you need to pass a 30 DC to sneak past him and that, going by the dirt on his paws, his fatigue is caused by staying up late drinking with his buddies on the outskirts of the forest.

Equestria's Greatest Detective
Your mind and logic has become the stuff of legends, to the point there are ponies out there thinking of writing comics and books about you. You frequently get asked for advice by important people and you've become well read in many fields of study. Increase the Perception bonus from +5 to +7, gain a +3 bonus to Persuasion and Streetsmarts and you may take the Freaky Knowledge utility talent twice (each Freaky Knowledge subject must be different)

It's merely a rough draft and still subject to change but I want to hear some feedback before I change something.

I also got some other ideas but those are still on the metaphorical drawing table, as it were.

These are flavorful, fair and totally on-target. Good thinking.

However, just a few things to spice stuff up. First, I really want to avoid skill bonuses when possible – but I don’t mind too much on destinies. The reason for this is that there’s already lots of “bonus-to-skill” things in the system – though Destinies are a good way to tie such bonuses to level progression; which makes it more okay.

More importantly though, this destiny isn’t yet quite ‘smexy’. The bonuses are reasonable, but they probably won’t make a player go, “Cool!” Whenever possible, we want to try to design with that in mind. That’s how we built the Instant Party talent, to be a version of, “Create Food and Water” that would make a player go, “Cool!” After all, even the Archmage destiny doesn’t give bonuses to Arcana checks, it just gives you more cool things to do. Simple bonuses to skill checks aren’t usually as exciting as something like, “roll twice on a check”.

Now for the new opportunities. There’s definitely a lot of cool options for a detective-type. Like being able to detect lies (detecting lies at will might make a good level 10 feature), having a useful contact or ally (like your Watson) or similar.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Shadow Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:24 pm

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Hmm...I'm not sure if the 3d10 damage for My Precious is necessary, actually. Epic Shield may need a bit of clarification, "...select an area up to the size of a large city" seems more useful. Sometimes you just want your own room to be guarded, not everywhere, you know?

In addition, the "fainting from sheer terror" in Tell Me What You Know seems a little overpowered, as does I Am Terror giving an extra use of Dread Proclamation. The "creatures brave enough to resist" is too vague to work, unfortunately - I'd mark it up to a Perception check, maybe an Endurance check, only emotions-wise.

For all my criticism, though, it seems you've thought all of this out very well and very creatively - I commend the amount of appreciable effort that went into designing these Destinies!

I see your points for the first two things. The damage for My Precious was intended as both a bit of flavor and as incentive to actually protect the thing in question, but I can see it being dropped. Epic Shield should probably have "up to" in there as you suggest, too.

As for the "fainting from sheer terror", that was actually intended as further balance - no matter how much you or your allies may want to, nopony's going to be able to shake more info out of the dude for a while if he's unconscious. But I suppose that it could be toned down a little. Would "become too traumatized to communicate for one hour" be more acceptable?
Also, I think I still have to agree with Ramsus on "who's brave enough" not being determined by stats. If your PH is doing it right, then not every random schmuck will be immune, just key NPCs who should be unimpressed, like the Big Bad, his trusted lieutenants, or the Princesses.

With those in mind, here are the revised versions of Living Bulwark and The Dreaded:
Living Bulwark:
The Dreaded:

And finally, the Ascendant destiny:

Ascendant
Special: When you choose this Destiny, select one Concept that you seek to embody. This concept must be at least tangentially related to your Cutie Mark, your Element, or a major part of your racial or personal identity. You cannot select Day, Night, Disharmony, Victory, Combat, the name of any Skill, or Being-an-Irrepressable-Munchkin as your Concept, although variations (Light, Stars, Selfishness) might be acceptable. This Concept cannot be changed later. Additionally, both the Concept you choose and the selection of this Destiny in the first place must be approved by your DM first.

For the Cause
Select one skill that is either your Cutie Mark skill or one that have training in. Whenever you use that skill to "further the cause" of your Concept (as justified by you, but ultimately decided by the DM), then you gain a +5 bonus in that skill. Additionally, if For the Cause comes into play for this skill check and you are not being assisted on it, then a roll of natural 20 counts as a Cutie Mark Critical; if it already would have, then a natural 19 also counts.

See Things My Way - Daily
Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
Make a Perception or Persuasion check with a +5 bonus. Target creature makes an opposing Perception or Persuasion check. If you beat their check, then their mind becomes altered in a way that promotes your Concept. While the specifics are up to the DM, the personality change should both make sense logically & thematically and should be immediately beneficial to you - although not neccessarily in the long run. This counts as a mind-affecting ability and wears off after either 1d4+1 hours or the use of a Magic Point intended to dispell the effect; you are unable to tell whether the effect has worn off or not unless the target makes it perfectly clear.

Incarnate
You have trancended your mortal form and become the living embodiment of your Concept. Although you are still young and have yet to gather your full power, there are still some immediate benefits.
Your appearance changes to match your personality and Concept. Your natural, true form becomes three times larger than your original and has an appearance that is nothing short of legendary - whether alicorn, draconequus, changeling Queen, adult dragon, or something completely new, this Form commands fear and respect. You may shift between your True Form and your original at will.
Additionally, the merging of yourself with your Concept has made you as immortal as the Concept itself. You no longer age unless you wish it, and if you are ever killed, then you will reform - completely unharmed - a year and a day later. You can only be "put out of commission" for longer periods of time by powerful magical imprisonment, and can only be destroyed outright if your concept disappears forever.
Finally, every time you use the ability See Things My Way, roll a d10. If you get a 10, then you are able to use the ability once more that day.
Note: Once you have recieved this ability, other beings of your power level - and higher - take notice in you. While they might let you finish your current quest without interference, they will generally not tolerate continued action after that point. Once your quest is complete, you must either ascend to a higher plane of existence or develop a strict "non-interference" policy; either way, your adventuring days have come to an end.

I suspect this one might be insanely OP.

Last edited by Jason Shadow on Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Jason Shadow
Jason Shadow
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Good flavor. Very good.

We actually might be able to work with this Ascendant concept.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:34 pm

I don't see anything wrong with the Ascendant aside from not being able to be in a regular sized version of your true form.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Prof. Charles Hoofington Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:49 pm

i dont think the Ascendant is op, as even the imortality thing has a big draw back- you have to wait a year and a day before coming back. this will easily put you out of commision of all but the longest campaigns, and then since your level 10 you should be approaching the end anyway. meaning that you character essentialy becomes a background character in the next campagin- which is kinda the point of destinies i feel.
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Prof. Charles Hoofington
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next