Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Combat Talents

+20
tygerburningbright
Fury of the Tempest
Xel Unknown
A1C Bronymous
AProcrastinatingWriter
SilentBelle
Quietkal
Snagging Roots
Masterweaver
Sable Shroud
Demonu
Karilyn
Videocrazy
Zarhon
AlicornPriest
Stairc -Dan Felder
Ramsus
The Warrior of Many Faces
Philadelphus
LoganAura
24 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Combat Talents - Page 6 Empty Re: Combat Talents

Post  A1C Bronymous Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:13 am

"Of their choice" might mean the d8, d10, or d12 level. Either that or it means pick one out of the list in the handbook and go nuts.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:11 pm

[-4] Electro-Hoof-Claw (Inspired by this)
Deal 1d8+6 damage to an enemy and shock them. While shocked, target flips a coin at the end of its turns. If it loses the toss, it is stunned (save ends) and loses the shocking effect. This effect cannot be on more than two targets at once, or applied to targets already stunned.

[+3] Charge!
Skip your turn, allowing an ally of your choice to act out their standard action in your place. This does not allow them to do two standard actions in time frame of a single round (they must wait until your action comes up again, then wait for their own turn).

[+3] Taunt
Force any number pf enemies to attack/target you on their next turn. You gain an extra PiP for each additional enemy (not counting the first).

[-2] Searing Beacon
Deal 1d8 damage to target and apply a beacon. An ally attacking the target may choose to remove the beacon, ignoring any resist values and preventing miss from blindess for that attack.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Just a quick move I thought of while at work.

[+2] Jump
You are removed from combat until the start of your next turn. (You cannot be targeted or effected by any combat talents until you return to combat.) On your next turn, you gain Piercing Lance until the end of your turn. You cannot use any combat talents other than Piercing Lance.

[0] Piercing Lance
Target Enemy takes 2d10 damage

For whatever reason I was remembering FF4 and thought of this move, and how many time Kain ended up being the only one left in the party and just finishing off the boss with his Jump attack. And it could easily be reflavoured to something appropriate for your character, such as turning invisible for a round and then back-stabbing. Or even like dig from Pokemon.

Edit: Thanks for bringing up those points, it's often harder to see the phrasing of a move from the designer's perspective. Hopefully this makes it work better.

Last edited by SilentBelle on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:03 am; edited 2 times in total
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:59 pm

While an intriguing concept, there needs to be some sort of extra rule regards when you're allowed to use it regards Piercing Lance otherwise the player is just going to use Piercing Lance every turn for a free 2d10 damage at no cost to themselves.

Also, I know these moves are intended to work together, but Jump, on its own, seems a bit cheap to me. An inability to be targeted by combat talents for an entire round, with +2 PiPs and, worst case scenario, skip using any combat talents on your next turn? That really strikes me as being a bit broken. I think it actually needs to be a - PiP cost, not a positive. Maybe only a slight one, but...

...to put it another way, if these two moves were compressed in one, they'd be hugely - cost, then brought down to a much more reasonable cost by that "you cannot use combat talents on your next turn" deal. At least I think so.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:06 pm

Piercing Lance
This attack cannot be used except for the round after Jump.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:49 am

I personally don't get why it's not just one move in and of itself...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:52 am

Xel Unknown wrote:I personally don't get why it's not just one move in and of itself...

Well, it is all one move, ideally, I would have indented the Piercing Lance, but I can't figure out how to do that in this text box. But yeah, the idea is it's all one move much in the way that a summon is still one move. I thought it was obvious, but I guess I should have re-phrased it, my bad.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:08 am

No really this make's zero logical sense to me what you've attempted to build here... I mean why not just add a line about Jump doing 2d10 damage on the second turn or something? I mean it wouldn't be odd to have the talent clearly be a two turn move to me... Maybe also give the move a cooldown timer too, I'd suggest like you've gotta wait two rounds before you use it again?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:20 am

Xel Unknown wrote:No really this make's zero logical sense to me what you've attempted to build here... I mean why not just add a line about Jump doing 2d10 damage on the second turn or something? I mean it wouldn't be odd to have the talent clearly be a two turn move to me... Maybe also give the move a cooldown timer too, I'd suggest like you've gotta wait two rounds before you use it again?

It's a 2 turn attack that does on average 1d10 per turn and 1 pip gain, with an advantage of not being in combat for one of those rounds. I just like to make it have two separate parts for the purposes of counters and such. I mean if it's two parts, then Jump is technically not an attack and can't be countered by attack-counters, but the Piercing Lance could be; However if it has the phrase that says it does damage a turn later, then Jump would be considered not an actual attack and instead a status effect, and would be much harder to counter. That was my logic behind building it as two separate moves that act as one just so that the attack itself could be countered when it's actually used. I think it makes more sense that way, and the two abilities are easier to keep track of then one with a delayed condition.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:33 am

Still the idea behind the Jump skill gives two pips for the only cost of maybe having to not use a turn... Or choose to harm a enemy for 2d10? I still would agure it needs a one turn cooldown or something, otherwise it's totally OP... And that lance move shouldn't be a 0 pip move... Maybe more a -4 to -1 type of move?

After reading the latest edits on the move, I get it now is more an attack that morphs into a second attack that you can decide to use or not after the charge up turn.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:04 pm

Zarhon wrote:
[+3] Taunt
Force any number pf enemies to attack/target you on their next turn. You gain an extra PiP for each additional enemy (not counting the first).
Or another way to do it would be to make it a +X talent, where X is the number of enemies you force to attack you. That'd make it an excellent risk/reward sort of thing: "How many enemy attacks can I survive next round vs. how many PiPs do I want to gain?" It'd be great for fighting a group of weak minions or a minion boss.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:51 pm

Philadelphus wrote:
Zarhon wrote:
[+3] Taunt
Or another way to do it would be to make it a +X talent, where X is the number of enemies you force to attack you. That'd make it an excellent risk/reward sort of thing: "How many enemy attacks can I survive next round vs. how many PiPs do I want to gain?" It'd be great for fighting a group of weak minions or a minion boss.
I 120% agree with you... Taunt should totally be a +X skill.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:Still the idea behind the Jump skill gives two pips for the only cost of maybe having to not use a turn... Or choose to harm a enemy for 2d10? I still would agure it needs a one turn cooldown or something, otherwise it's totally OP... And that lance move shouldn't be a 0 pip move... Maybe more a -4 to -1 type of move?

After reading the latest edits on the move, I get it now is more an attack that morphs into a second attack that you can decide to use or not after the charge up turn.

Well if the move is doing too much damage, it could be brought down to 2d8 or 1d12 I guess. As for the idea behind jump, it's that basically do nothing for the first turn, then do damage on the second. After the first turn, you can't change your mind about it. I don't think that it would need a cooldown at all though. Think of the downside of using Jump, you've essentially abandoned your team for a turn, you can't use any interrupts to help allies. Also if you are hurt, then your allies can't heal you. Really, I don't see how this move is OP... I mean, supposing you spam it whenever you can, what's that going to give you? Half the time, enemies can't target you, so they wait until you land and use their big attacks then. I think I'll run it through a playtest to see if it feels overpowered, and see if I can address whether or not it actually is exploitable.

As for that fun taunting move I see there, I like the idea of it being a static pip amount or maybe make it +X with a limit on the number you can taunt (3 or 4). Otherwise in a battle involving 10 or so opponents (Think minions here), you could really end up with 14 pips on your second turn. Also add on a clause saying what happens when other players use Taunt, does it supersede? Or can they not be targeted again until next turn? I love this concept, but it definitely needs some work.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:14 am

Yeah I'd totally suggest some playtesting with that skill... Cause on paper, It just seems a bit off to me. Maybe not OP is the way to say what's wrong with it. But just it can endless extend the battle by getting out of combat for a turn... I recall it doing so with Judo Throw on a Boss Monster. So I'd fear the same thing happening from Jump if it was like a 1-on-1 fight or something.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:08 am

Hot Blooded

[+1] BURNING BLOOD!
The player or character must shout the name of this talent outloud in order to use it. When you next roll for damage, roll a 1d4 and add that amount to your damage.

[-X] JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?
The player or character must shout the name of this talent outloud in order to use it.The next damage you deal does extra damage equal to X

[-X] JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?
The player or character must shout the name of this talent outloud in order to use it. The next damage your party does deal extra damage equal to X/3

[-3] ERUPTING, BURNING, FINGER!
The player or character must shout the name of this talent outloud in order to use it. Deal 1d10 damage to target enemy, that enemy is now weakened (save ends)

[-10] GIGA, DRILL, BREAKER!
The player or character must shout the name of this talent outloud in order to use it. Deal 4d12 damage to target enemy.

Last edited by Fury of the Tempest on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:47 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Hot Blooded

[+1] BURNING BLOOD!
The player must shout the name of this talent outloud in order to use it. When you next roll for damage, roll a 1d4 and add that amount to your damage.

[-X] WHO DO YOU THINK I AM?
The player must shout the name of this talent outloud in order to use it.The next damage you deal does extra damage equal to X

[-X] WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?
The player must shout the name of this talent outloud in order to use it. The next damage your party does deal extra damage equal to X/3

The player must shout the name of this talent outloud in order to use it. Deal 1d10 damage to target enemy, that enemy is now weakened (save ends)

The player must shout the name of this talent outloud in order to use it. Defeat target enemy.

The phrase is JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?! How would the shouting part work in a play by post game and GIGA, DRILL, BREAK is broken as it can defeat boss to superboss level creatures in one hit one hit that can be achived as early as turn TWO with daredevil rush also it is cheaper and more powerful than it is all over the current highest offical attack. Side note the Lazengann(Lordgenome's gunman) is able to bite down on the Giga Drill when it is about to pierce the torso of the mech, and break it with its teeth blocking it
Spoiler:
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:51 pm

Edited the names and Giga Drill Breaker... I knew that it was rather silly...
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:30 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Hot Blooded

[+1] BURNING BLOOD!
The player or character must shout the name of this talent outloud in order to use it. When you next roll for damage, roll a 1d4 and add that amount to your damage.

[-X] JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?
The player or character must shout the name of this talent outloud in order to use it.The next damage you deal does extra damage equal to X

[-X] JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?
The player or character must shout the name of this talent outloud in order to use it. The next damage your party does deal extra damage equal to X/3

The player or character must shout the name of this talent outloud in order to use it. Deal 1d10 damage to target enemy, that enemy is now weakened (save ends)

The player or character must shout the name of this talent outloud in order to use it. Deal 4d12 damage to target enemy.

These would fit perfectly into the Fusion campaign setting. =)

Some fun ideas in here too. I particularly like the [-x] power ideas, we don't have anything like that in the system right now. Looking forward to seeing more of your ideas.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:01 pm

Shinigami

[0] Shikai
Until the character's Pip's reach zero. Gain Resit 1 and +1 to all damage dealt

[-2] Shunpo
Trigger: The turn starts or ends. (Only one trigger per round)
Effect: Deal 1d8 damage to one enemy.

[-3] Bakudō
Choose one of the following:
Stun target enemy until the end of the turn.
Weaken target enemy until the end of next turn.
Give target enemy vulnerability 1 for three turns or a successful saving throw. Whichever is first.
Blind enemy creature (save ends)

[-4] Hadō
Choose one of the following:
Deal 2d6 damage to one enemy.
Deal 1d10 damage to two enemies
Deal 1d8 damage to all enemies

[+1] Kidō: Heal
You and/or any number of your allies get healed by X. X's total cannot exceed 5

[-7] Bankai
Until you run out of pip's, gain Resist 3 and deal +3 damage
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:08 pm

Until the character's Pip's reach zero

This is an interesting idea too. I might need to play around with something similar to. Rewards you for playing more conservatively, then takes away the reward when you want to unleash. 1 pip is tiny though... Maybe something more like...

[+3] Epic Theme Music
Until the end of the battle, you gain resist 2 as long as you have 3 or more pips.

Wow! I love this idea now. Some design like that (the above isn't balanced, it's too powerful) would let players do cool things with their [+] talents while taking away that benefit if they actually want to use the pips they got from it. Again, the above isn't balanced but it's still a cool idea. Thanks Fury.

Last edited by Stairc -Dan Felder on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:10 pm

That is pretty good as well. If you have Open Options you can start with that, then use open options to switch it.

As long as the PH doesn't have enemies which drain PiP that is...

Do enemies have PiP?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:12 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:That is pretty good as well. If you have Open Options you can start with that, then use open options to switch it.

As long as the PH doesn't have enemies which drain PiP that is...

Do enemies have PiP?

Enemies have pips.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:15 pm

Guess we could have something like...

[+X] Energy Drain
Drain 1d4 PiP's from target creature.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:19 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Guess we could have something like...

[+X] Energy Drain

So... Wouldn't that be infinite pips? [+X] means you can choose a number and gain that many pips.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:22 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
Fury of the Tempest wrote:Guess we could have something like...

[+X] Energy Drain

So... Wouldn't that be infinite pips? [+X] means you can choose a number and gain that many pips.
I agree, I think it'd be smarter to more have it be a [0] pip talent so it's clear that you're getting the pips form the target creature.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next