Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zilean's Revenge (Part 2)

+3
A1C Bronymous
Ramsus
Lyntermas
7 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Zilean's Revenge (Part 2) - Page 3 Empty Re: Zilean's Revenge (Part 2)

Post  Azarune Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:23 pm

At least my spell also gives us all regeneration! yay!

Noticing Jeraylia's condition the shaman gives a sharp whistle, causing Koras to make her way to the kobold standing over her. With a screech the dragon slashes using all her limbs at the skeleton's face. During this Jeraylia feels an invigorating energy coursing through her.

So Defending strike, bonuses to defense for you!

Defending Strike Roll: 16.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:51 pm

Horizon feels his head loosen up, freed from the paralysis. "Aand thats just about enough of that." Horizon does his best to free his right arm, and reach for his kukri.

Will roll: Nat20. About to be a +1.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:14 am

"...Oh, it's the darn bones you collected earlier. They're trying to form another undead or something." Rolf sighed. "Zthulan, get that amulet into the coffin. I don't like how it's getting brighter."

He turned to Death. "Oh, that. Well, it's the common story: boy goes on adventure, thief gets magical artifact from sealed room, boy examines artifact, boy activates orb from a civilization older than the dragons that reads "Invoke me, know death." But...you don't already know this? So I'm not "marked for death" or something, you're just...making the rounds, so to speak? Oh, pardon me a second, trying to keep my friends from dying."

"Jeraylia, stay low for a second!" Rolf lobs a Magic Missile at one of the skeletons.

Rolling for Magic Missile...13.

Well, if both of the skeletons are facing Jeraylia, it's less likely that they can block Skitter's next attack. Anyway, my plan is to get the amulet back in the coffin, seal the coffin with the pickaxes (or possibly one of these conveniently available shield-sized pieces of wood), get out of the crypt, then crash the pillar behind us, burying the amulet under a bunch of dirt.

Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:12 am

What do you mean she wasn't ready for them charging >_> She was waiting for them to come to her. And really, no bonuses for armour or nothing? I'm just feeling a little disgruntled.
How do we determine our ability set? We just using 4e characters, or just making stuff up as we go (within reason [usually]), like I'm about to do.

Having the pick go right through her leg, Jeraylia falls on top of the skeleton. "On the plus side," she thought wryly through the pain, "at least I'm following Rolf's advice."

All of her. Wearing chainmail armour. Carrying random bits of loot stashed around her body. On that short little dude who stabbed her in the leg.
Attack roll against fort/reflex? It's a grapple essentially, and maybe we both go prone.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:06 am

I think it is cause of the Skeleton's nat20.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:48 pm

Skitter threw another slash of shadow at the other skeleton.

Attack: 3 ...... yeah figures. I roll a 19 and it's ignored because of the goofy mechanics, then I roll a 3.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:55 pm

Horizon stares angrily at his arms. They regain full mobility out of sheer terror. His legs, however, are unimpressed. Meanwhile, he can feel his satchel is gradually pulling him with more force. He gets slowly dragged within reach of Jeraylia.

Combat:

Koras rushes to Jeraylia's aid. It claws at the kobold, claws infused with magic. The force of the blow breaks its flimsy shield, whilst the magic flows into a protective energy that surrounds Jeraylia. Rolf then fires a missile at it, which smashes him to pieces. Jeraylia then falls on top of the remaining skeleton, leaving it helplessly flailing underneath her. It tries to pull off a clumsy strike, at Jeraylia, but Koras's shield nullifies it. Skitter slashes at the pinned skeleton, severing most of its limbs, before it falls apart from lack of stability.

In the midst of the chaos, a whistling tune emanates from the amulet. The room feels somewhat warm.

"Oh, that. Well, it's the common story: boy goes on adventure, thief gets magical artifact from sealed room, boy examines artifact, boy activates orb from a civilization older than the dragons that reads "Invoke me, know death." But...you don't already know this?"
???:

"So I'm not "marked for death" or something, you're just...making the rounds, so to speak?"
???:

"Oh, pardon me a second, trying to keep my friends from dying."
???:

Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:10 pm

With the party relatively safe, and their wounds recovering Zthulan calls Koras to help him stuff the amulet back into the coffin.

Rolling: 5. Crap. At least it's not a 1.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:22 am

Rolf didn't like the fact that the room was getting warmer. He didn't know whether it would be a good idea to try and destroy the amulet, or simply seal it. He was afraid that trying to damage the amulet would cause it to send out a spell or two in retailation. However, the coffin might still have some magic-proofing on it, so it might be able to diminish any spells it might cast.

"Jeraylia, Zthulan's healing spell might have some beneficial after-effects, but you should try bandaging yourself up just in case. Skitter, could you check down the tunnel? If the bones in Horizon's satchel are still moving, they might be trying to go back to their owners, meaning the amulet might have a MUCH larger effect than we had anticipated. Horizon...see if you can get your feet moving."

He saw Zthulan start to carefully start pulling the amulet's chain toward the hole in the back of the coffin. He took hold of the chain (making sure not to touch the amulet itself) and tried helping it down. As he did this, he started talking to Death again.

"Alright, so everyone's marked for death, got it. I was just wondering if my little incident had drastically reduced my lifespan or something. Although, I wonder how the undead fit into your job. I mean, Zilean apparently died once, and he's still being a bother. Speaking of your job, why are you down here anyway? The only people still living down here are me and my friends, and we're not planning on dying yet."

Rolling for Amulet Moving:...Nat 1. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:47 am

"Yeah, sure, why don't I just do that." Horizon grabs his Kukri, feeling a sense of calm wash over him as he draws it from his sheathe, giving it a good look over. "Meanwhile, I know it's cute and all when I talk to my invisible friends, but we can't all start doing that or we'll end up looking like a bunch of Dragonborn Shamans." He shoots Zthulan a look. "No offense, just an expression."

Leg control will save plus reality check kukri will save bonus: 4+1=5. Ok, too calm.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:05 am

With a roll of his eyes and a buff of flame in Horizon's direction, it is visible that Zthulan doesn't particularly care for the joke. "Your expression is heard and ignored, everyone." Now directing himself to the group, "just shout if you require Koras to support you, hopefully you feel the energies of the world course through you, enjoy the steady flow or use it in a surge. Your decision."

Should I roll to help Rolf or wait for Zarhon to make his response?
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:21 am

"Oh, yes, how silly of me. I forgot that proper "invisible friend etiquette" is to stand in a corner muttering, then walk up to one of my allies all dazed and scared, cut them with a knife, and then pretend nothing happened. You know, 'cause you're such a great role model in that regard."

Azarune, I think your 5 roll might have been your "turn" for this round. Although technically if your roll was to get Koras' help (as opposed to your own actions), so Zarhon might let you have your own personal roll. But then we'd have to determine if you and Koras count as seperate entities or if Koras is merely an extension of yourself, and the implications that we now have 7 party members instead of 6 so the challenge goes up and alrjojidovidfnojff!adv%.

In short, I'd leave it up to Zarhon whether Zthulan gets his own roll or not. However, something tells me that my roll isn't going to be...without negative consequences.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:43 am

Skitter shrugs and goes and looks down the tunnel like he was asked. The less time spent with these crazy people the better.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:13 pm

Yeah, Zthulan already did the "help with amulet" action with Koras (which rolled poorly. Koras would merely act as a bonus to that, but it's not enough), while Rolf's critical failure pretty much bothched it.

perception:
Skitter moves into the tunnel. He can see that the dug-in skeleton he found is no longer there: There's just a large hole instead, with it's dirt messily scattered about on the floor. He finds several other new holes like it. As he continues down to where the tunnel forks, he hears continuous ringing, coming from both passages.

Horizon attempts to regain the function of his leg(s). Much like the rest of him, they disregard authority.

Zthulan and Koras, working together with spear and claw, attempt to carefully move the amulet, but find that it's resisting their attempts to guide it into the coffin. As Rolf attempts to manipulate it, he accidentally touches the amulet. He yelps out in pain as his hand is burned by the blisteringly-hot surface of the metal. It then reacts to him, its gem aligning itself to "face" him.

"I can still hear you, mr. Rolf. You shouldn't have done that."

Rolf is suddenly lifted from the ground and hurled away with great force.

Telekinesis:
Rolf feels one of his ribs break as the amulet slams him against the wall.

"Looks like you've seen through my smoke and mirrors. You are much craftier than I gave you credit for. Looks like I'll have to pull off some new tricks to entertain you and your new friends!"

The amulet starts streaking tongues of fire. The room gets warmer. Zthulan can see that his spear (which is still hooked on the chain) is starting to get red hot, while Koras backs away from the amulet.

"Although, I wonder how the undead fit into your job. I mean, Zilean apparently died once, and he's still being a bother.
Death:
Speaking of your job, why are you down here anyway?
Death:
The only people still living down here are me and my friends, and we're not planning on dying yet."
Death:
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:10 am

Skitter rushes back, "Guys, I think we're in for more fun times with hordes of nasty looking undead."

Zarhon why did I have +3 there instead of +8?

Also, could I fit the coffin in my portable hole?
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:31 am

As stupid as the idea seems Zthulan narrows his gaze at the amulet. With brief exhale the dragonborn pulls his spear away and with a flick of his hand sends a bolt of thunder directly at the amulet.

Roll: 12

As the streak of energy zips way towards it's target everyone in the party feels powerful energy coursing through them.

Enjoy the damage resistance. Uh was it my turn?...
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:44 am

Rolf yelled out in pain. On the one hand, it was the first time he had really gotten hurt this entire evening, so he should have considered himself lucky. On the other hand, GAAHHH IT HURTS.

"And the ribs don't heal easily with magic, do they?" Rolf muttered as he got upright. He looked at the amulet. Both Zilean and Skitter had confirmed his fears: a whole graveyard of skeletons was headed their way. The heat that Zilean was emanating meant that moving it into the coffin was now out of the question. And if one of those sparks hit the support pillar...

He glanced at Death. "...So is this a "set in stone" sort of thing, or just a relatively high probability?" he muttered. He snapped his fingers as the frost wand appeared in his hand. Their only hope for survival was to destroy the amulet before the skeleton hordes showed up or it blasted the cavern to fall around them. His frost wand would hopefully at least cool the amulet down momentarily, if not damage it. Although, he was curious why it had only started attacking them now. They had been wide open this whole time, but it hadn't tried harming them until Horizon or he actually touched...

Rolf gave a pained smile. "Ah, Zilean, glad you recognized us at last," Rolf said to the amulet. "Sorry for spoiling your surprise, but when I see a second-rate stage magician pull a rabbit from out of his "empty sleeves" and expect me to be impressed, well, I tend to call him out on it. But if you wish to entertain us, I know a little game we can play with a BLIND man: Marco Polo. You all know the rules, boys and girls. Don't touch the amulet, don't stay in one place for too long, and he only knows where you are if you speak."

"Polo!" Rolf fired his frost wand at the amulet, then quickly moved away from where he was standing.

Rolling for Frost Wand...14! I wonder what effect quenching would have on a magic amulet.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:55 am

"Move around a lot. What an inspiring plan for the man with no legs." Horizon focuses again on regaining control, this time jabbing himself in the thigh, hoping to use the pain as a catalyst. "Someone bring that thing close to me so I can smash it."
[

Will again, plus emo kid modifier(?): 2+ Ah fuck it. I'll wait.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:03 pm

Rolling off the skeleton, Jeraylia takes a look over her leg wound. "Well, this is just great," she mutters. "First chance to prove myself to the party, and I get maimed." She pulls out a roll of bandages and starts to administer first aid on the puncture, softly humming a tune to lift her spirits.

Do I have to make a roll for Majestic Word? Is Horizon still sliding towards the tunnel? Should Jeraylia just grab a hold of his leg instead? Find out next time on an exciting installment of Dungeon Master Z.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:18 pm

Broken Logic wrote:Rolling off the skeleton, Jeraylia takes a look over her leg wound. "Well, this is just great," she mutters. "First chance to prove myself to the party, and I get maimed." She pulls out a roll of bandages and starts to administer first aid on the puncture, softly humming a tune to lift her spirits.

I don't think you'd need to do that, Jeraylia's wound should be closing up, though granted it was been one round, not sure how much damage you sustained...
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:09 pm

Considering "to the bone" is often a short term crippling injury. Also, you'd need more than that bandage to keep that from escalating. Luckily, as was pointed out- Magic Healing.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:46 pm

@ Skitter: Well the coffin is made of silver and pretty large. You'd need the help of everyone to even move it. And do you REALLY want to put a heavily warded, capable-of-containing-a-lich-enchanted coffin, into wonky pan-dimensional space that's capable of creating dimensional rifts? As for the perception bonus, darkvision would only help you so far for that situation.

Also, I don't recall Zthulan casting any healing magics that would be healing Jeraylia's leg, other then that one spell that partially freed Horizon. Care to elaborate, Zthulan?

Jeraylia, I'll say you can succeed automatically for a basic first aid job, but you're free to roll if you think you want to heal further (or risk making it worse)

Horizon's attempt at intimidation fail, as he realizes he's not actually feeling any pain in the paralyzed leg. He starts getting dragged really fast at this point: It's starting to throw off his balance, threatening to have him tip over like a statue.

Zthulan fires a bolt of thunder at the amulet. As it crashes into it, a tiny crack appears on the gem. From it, a small, blue-colored streak of flame juts out, causing the tongues of fire to intensify.

"If that's the best you can do, this will be a very short show ind-"

Rolf fires his wand into the amulet, scoring a direct hit.

What the?

The amulet becomes completely encased in a big mass of ice. It drops to the ground with a clunk.

...Clever. Why didn't I think of that? Heh. Ah, but I see a small flaw with your little technique...

The ice-encrusted amulet starts steaming, and droplets of water trail down its surface. The light within it is starting to get blinding.

Death:
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:56 pm

Zarhon, I believe Zthulan cast a regeneration granting spell earlier in this scene. I meant my +8 to perception in general. In fact you seem to forget about our bonuses to skills quite often. (Or at least you aren't showing them when you show us roll results.)

"Will you guys stop fucking around already?" Skitter says and walks over and grabs the amulet in his left hand, not caring that it burns him, and thrusts it back into the coffin. Then he opens up the portable hole on the floor and says, "Now help me move this stupid coffin in here. We need to leave."

Roll for...touch attack I guess?: 16
Roll for Endurance: 19

If it blows up or something at least it takes the amulet with it.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:43 pm

"You have a portable hole?" Giving a few seconds to contemplate on the device Zthulan just shrug and begins helping Skitter. "I hope you don't plan on using it again anytime soon.

Roll: 3
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:11 pm

My Majestic Word is a bard heal spell, I think is what Bronymous is refering to. Usually the spell doesn't require a roll, but I don't know how you want to play it in your campaign, Zarhon.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next