Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

+28
Pingcode
deonte9109
Caden2112
Mind Gamer
LoganAura
Doc pseudopolis
thematthew
Z2
Cardbo
AlicornPriest
sunbeam
Quietkal
Kenzamaka
Azureink
Philadelphus
Nehiel Mori
Fury of the Tempest
Dusk Raven
Paper Shadow
Hayatecooper
A1C Bronymous
Xel Unknown
Kindulas
kajisora
Ramsus
ZamuelNow
Zarhon
Stairc -Dan Felder
32 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here - Page 39 Empty Re: New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:26 am

Sounds awesome. :3
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here - Page 39 Empty Re: New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

Post  Kindulas Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:44 am

So... Zamuel, your history thing...
I think we can get the flavor clearer if we call it something like "Use Big Words,"
For some flavor accuracy, perhaps it could be restricted to working on creatures with low Knowledge??
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:50 am

Revised Final Suggestions from me, from the whole chat we've done so far: (Edit: on second thought, messed with the names myself. Edit2: Don't take Soul-Power Strike I got a better idea that I'm suggesting on the top of the next page.)

[+2] Bloody Knuckles - Standard Attack
Pay 3 HP and deal 2d4 damage to target creature.

[+3] Soul-Power Strike - Standard Attack
Pay 1d6 HP and deal damage equal to the HP paid.

Last edited by Xel Unknown on Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:07 am

Kindulas wrote:So... Zamuel, your history thing...
I think we can get the flavor clearer if we call it something like "Use Big Words,"
For some flavor accuracy, perhaps it could be restricted to working on creatures with low Knowledge??
Though some DMs might be tripped up by having not given an NPC an actual knowledge score.

The flavor kinda seems to be pushing it...
okay, wait, I say that, but come to think of it, it crosses no believability lines we haven't lapped already
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:49 am

Alright, since I only proposed one thing earlier this week, here's another History-boosting utility talent in my quest to get such a talent into the system:

Lore of the Ancients – 3/Day
Preparation Time: Variable; Instantaneous – 30 minutes.
You may roll twice on your next History check and take either result. Additionally, for every 5 minutes you spend preparing (consulting old tomes, racking your memory, studying the mysterious artifact, etc.) you gain a +2 bonus to the check (up to a +12 bonus for spending 30 minutes preparing).
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:00 am

I don't believe either Kindulas or I have had significant time (or ANY time) to really get the expansion ready today... So how about we extend the deadline for submissions a day or two? It's our last one after all, for a while at least.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:04 am

That makes sense...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:17 am

Yeah I'm pretty strapped for time, so at least Saturday.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:21 am

Let's say Sunday and give everyone time.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:30 am

Philadelphus wrote:Alright, since I only proposed one thing earlier this week, here's another History-boosting utility talent in my quest to get such a talent into the system:

Lore of the Ancients – 3/Day
Preparation Time: Variable; Instantaneous – 30 minutes.
You may roll twice on your next History check and take either result. Additionally, for every 5 minutes you spend preparing (consulting old tomes, racking your memory, studying the mysterious artifact, etc.) you gain a +2 bonus to the check (up to a +12 bonus for spending 30 minutes preparing).
Hmm... well I think the main call is for things that make History more applicable (though it's one of those talents that's "Really useful if the DM makes it so, but not proactive"), though there are similar temp-boosts for other skills, so I can't see a good reason for this *not* being put in - except that it could be too impressive with Zamuel's thing... which I'm still unsure how I feel about anyway....
you know, on that topic I think really a skill to just let history do something else is questionable. Without super-solid flavor (like how "imposing" fills the "Why would my giant-but-low-sense brute not be intimidating?" gap) it might start a "why not have a whole bunch of talents like this??" mentality, wondering why history to persuasion gets special treatment - especially when Imposing went to persuasion too.

Though I'm not against the idea of UTs powered by history, but I think it's best if we figure out a way for it to do something new, rather than skill-melding
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:44 am

Xel Unknown wrote:Revised Final Suggestions from me, from the whole chat we've done so far: (Edit: on second thought, messed with the names myself)

[+2] Bloody Knuckles - Standard Attack
Pay 3 HP and deal 2d4 damage to target creature.

[+3] Soul-Power Strike - Standard Attack
Pay 1d6 HP and deal damage equal to the HP paid.
In a sleep-deprived state... I realize a better way to deal with making a new +3 move that totally is a lot better then my 1d6 pay life to deal damage thing... So I now retrate my eariler Soul-Power Strike (boy that name is so lame) for this possiblity better idea here: (you can edit the numbers the payment and the loss of life.. But I'd like to keep it a +3 if possible.)

[+3] Steal Vitality - Standard Attack
Pay 2 HP and deal 2 loss of life to target cearture.

(OOC: and now I official say I'm done trying to revise my suggestions

NO FUTURE ME NO, you can't go back on this.... You owe me this.... These are the best ideas that have been thought up by you that deal with loss of life in +pip manner.)
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:14 am

Worried about a +3 that can just kind of eat a minion like that...
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:20 am

I guess... That'd be an issue. Pitty... I really loved the idea of a +3 talent with doing loss of life for both the attacker and the attacked. Sounded like a really fun idea.

Then again, I don't see why a +3 would be a problem when a +1 already exists that can eat minions just as well... But also can do a crit.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:25 am

it IS a cool idea, just one I'm hesitant about
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:32 am

Maybe give it another drawback to offset it? Like it can't be used more then once in a row? Or rolling something (Like a d6) and getting a 2 or 1 (other option if you don't want it comboable with the roll nat-1s make it 5 and 6 the bad outcome numbers) makes you lose your next turn? Then again that might be a bit harsh...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:55 pm

Some utility talents at their base forms, probably in need of some editing should they be accepted.

Super Strength
[Example text: Gain a +10 Bonus to Athletics checks made to move objects by main strength.]

I don't know how big that bonus should be. I know that straight bonuses are kind of boring, but there's hardly no precedent - there are several situational bonuses to Athletics ala Haste or Rainbow Dash to your side.

Somewhat similarly:

Tactile Telekinesis:
You may use Ponykinesis with a maximum weight of 1,000 pounds, but only on objects you are already touching.

Here's a very situational one, entirely useless in some campaigns and very very useful in a select few, and probably needed of a renaming and some editing:

Occlumency
You become aware of when someone is trying to read your mind, alter your memories, or place you under some form of mind control (collectively known as 'mental assault'). When you choose this utility talent, also choose one of these two effects.
A)Up to [?] times a day, when someone tries to mentally assault you, you may prevent them from doing so for the next 20 minutes.
B)When someone tries to mentally assault you, you may make a Knowledge: Arcana check, the DC to be determined by the GM (having a maximum of 35). If you are successful, you prevent that person from mentally assaulting you for the next 20 minutes.

And finally, something that will be rejected since it mixes combat with non-combat, but gosh-darn it I wanted to say it "out loud" because I Still love the Dresden Files:

Soulfire - 1/Day
Use one of your Magic Talents without spending a magic point. Until your next extended rest, your maximum HP is 5 less. (Damage you've taken stays constant; for example, if you've taken 6 damage with a maximum of 30 HP, after using this talent you'll have taken six damage with a maximum of 25 HP.)

That last one may actually work if we can find something to drain besides HP though...

Last edited by AProcrastinatingWriter on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Super Strength - mechanically, this sort of talent is already present, sort of - "Yeehaw" gives a +20 to athletics. You should probably make it have multiple uses, or some variation on the bonus (cause the +10 can be reproduced by a magic point, and if that's the case you might as well use it on Yeehaw instead).

Tactile Telekinesis - is it supposed to be a "flat passive upgrade" to ponykinesis, usable at will? Cause it pretty much turns you into superstallion/supermare, and defeats the whole purpose of ponykinesis (lifting objects remotely or without contact).

I do support the notion of having "strongman" talents - there's very few things that outright make your character "strong" or "mighty", or otherwise capable of doing "hulk"-style feats of strength - in fact, the ponykinesis upgrades are pretty much the only way of lifting anything too heavy / bulky for a regular creature to lift.

Not sure if I reached my limit yet, but I'll leave it anyway:

Captain Obvious:

It's based off an ability I've seen in a D&D handbook - one that essentially allowed rogues to give allies the results of their perception checks (e.g. if the rogue notices a trap the others don't, he points it out). Can't remember its name, but I think it was something akin to "Point it out".
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:47 pm

Point on the Yeehaw thing. As for:

Zarhon wrote:Tactile Telekinesis - is it supposed to be a "flat passive upgrade" to ponykinesis, usable at will? Cause it pretty much turns you into superstallion/supermare, and defeats the whole purpose of ponykinesis (lifting objects remotely or without contact).
It's not supposed to be an upgrade, it's supposed to be its own unique talent that just so happens to effectively involve hyper-lift. Turning into superstailion/supermare is actually exactly what I was going for.

AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:06 pm

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Point on the Yeehaw thing. As for:

Zarhon wrote:Tactile Telekinesis - is it supposed to be a "flat passive upgrade" to ponykinesis, usable at will? Cause it pretty much turns you into superstallion/supermare, and defeats the whole purpose of ponykinesis (lifting objects remotely or without contact).
It's not supposed to be an upgrade, it's supposed to be its own unique talent that just so happens to effectively involve hyper-lift. Turning into superstailion/supermare is actually exactly what I was going for.
I don't think that translates very well, mechanics wise, or allows for major game breaking - If you've got a character that can lift 1000 pounds, what prevents them from picking up creatures and tossing them away, superman style? Or from annihilating everything they see by lobbing 1000 pound objects at everything (all of which they could do without even needing to do a skill check)? Or using the check to justify giving themselves a massive athletics bonus vs anything?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:36 pm

Kindulas wrote:
Kindulas wrote:So... Zamuel, your history thing...
Though some DMs might be tripped up by having not given an NPC an actual knowledge score.

The flavor kinda seems to be pushing it...
okay, wait, I say that, but come to think of it, it crosses no believability lines we haven't lapped already
To me, it's basically Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness in action.  I guess it's a situation where the flavor makes sense to me but I don't know how to describe it so others see it that way.

Last edited by ZamuelNow on Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:45 pm

Kindulas wrote:Worried about a +3 that can just kind of eat a minion like that...
I'm pretty sure minions were made to be eaten.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Zarhon wrote:
AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Point on the Yeehaw thing. As for:

I don't think that translates very well, mechanics wise, or allows for major game breaking - If you've got a character that can lift 1000 pounds, what prevents them from picking up creatures and tossing them away, superman style? Or from annihilating everything they see by lobbing 1000 pound objects at everything (all of which they could do without even needing to do a skill check)? Or using the check to justify giving themselves a massive athletics bonus vs anything?
Wouldn't attempting to toss a monster away like that initiate battle, though? Anyway, I figured they wouldn't get an Athletics boost to anything else because I specifically mention "only to move things" as getting the Athletics boost, but if we really want to make things absolutely clear we can add in the sentence "no other Athletics checks get the boost from this ability". As to the 1,000 pound toss: yeah, that could be done, but what says their aim is accurate? What says you can just happen to find a 1,000 pound object nearby? What says 1,000 pounds is going to be enough for the problem du jour? If the problem is a living creature, what says it's going to let you?

Still, assuming other people agree with you, the crux of the argument seems to be "this is a bit too much" which can easily be remedied by bringing down the maximum amount that can be lifted. Or we could add in prep time to show that realistically even if you can lift a lot that doesn't mean you can do it immediately.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:24 pm

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:What says you can just happen to find a 1,000 pound object nearby?
"It says here on your sheet that you start with a... 'thousand pound slab of concrete'?
"I made it myself!"

"The kitten appears to be stuck on a tree. It meows at you for help."
"I pick up the tree."
"You uproot the tree and bend it, allowing the kitten to get off. You then re-plant it."
"Why would I re-plant it?"

"Do you really have to go through with this? I know it's your job as a thief, but..."
"Hey, don't blame me, blame the guys that were too cheap to nail and anchor everything to the floor."

"For the last time, it can't fit through the door!"
"I'm not leaving the gold statue behind!"
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:27 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
Kindulas wrote:Worried about a +3 that can just kind of eat a minion like that...
I'm pretty sure minions were made to be eaten.
Indeed they are.

Very tasty as well.Twisted Evil 
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:29 pm

Zarhon wrote:"For the last time, it can't fit through the door!"
"I'm not leaving the gold statue behind!"
Ha. "Fit". That's cute.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next