Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grand Line Adventures IC - Part 2

+3
tygerburningbright
Lyntermas
Zarhon
7 posters

Page 7 of 30 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18 ... 30  Next

Go down

Grand Line Adventures IC - Part 2 - Page 7 Empty Re: Grand Line Adventures IC - Part 2

Post  tygerburningbright Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:08 pm

Zenith shoots a spark of lightning at one of the pillars. It crackles for a moment for a moment but ultimately nothing actually happens. It is clear that it is not strong enough...
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Grand Line Adventures IC - Part 2 - Page 7 Empty Re: Grand Line Adventures IC - Part 2

Post  Zarhon Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:10 pm

"Needs more mojo, it seems, an' da' storm be ready ta' supply dat', once dat' storm rod be outta da' way. So, unless we be plannin' on growin' wings or knockin' on da' gate less den' politely, or yah' can tink' of someting' ta' mitigate da' field, me an' Shell be forced ta' take a painful plunge...", Shallow says, getting ready to stuff himself in a dirt-filled box. "Dat' field, is it heat? Can makin' ourselves cold, wet or cool keep it from burnin' us as badly?"

Arcana:

(OOC: Torque, use your science! Very Happy )
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:02 pm

Zarhon wrote:
Arcana:

(OOC: Torque, use your science! Very Happy)

You can't tell very much other than that it is partially magical in nature and that water would mitigate much of the effect but then again you also know that your body contains a lot of water naturally...
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:03 pm

"Hmm..." Torque glanced down at his new red-armband. "Perhaps I'll be giving this a test-run sooner than I thought." He looked up at the others. "I recently developed a short-range teleportation device. If we're lucky, I should be able to get us through the fence without harming us or triggering the alarm. Unfortunately, it's only got five charges for today, and we'd be stuck inside until we shut off the fence for good. Still, I think Shallow has the right idea: once we get inside, we'll deactivate the lightning rod, set up another storm, then the lightning will short out the fence, allowing everypony to get out of here safely."

"Still, if we can determine a good insulator, we might be able to save some of those charges...let's see...if it's heat-based, then water should work as it has a high specific heat, but if it's electrical, then we'd either dirt, rubber, or some way to direct the charge to ground. If it's microwave, then water should work, but since most of our bodies are water as well, we'd be fairly susceptible to its effects. Perhaps some metal-plating?" He glanced over at Broken Bow. "...Sorry, I tend to get enthusiastic about this sort of thing."

Rolling Mechanics to figure out good insulator...17 (1d20) + 12 + 3(EF) = 32
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:40 pm

Lyntermas wrote:
Rolling Mechanics to figure out good insulator...17 (1d20) + 12 + 3(EF) = 32

You are able to figure out that the field does use microwave heating but only from a magical source that greatly amplifies the effect and so water or metals that can either block or reflect the waves would be helpful.

Last edited by tygerburningbright on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Misread the question.)
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:54 pm

"Hmm...oh, here's an idea." He looked over at Broken Bow. "You mentioned that there was a well somewhere on the property. If we sent the box over on your side, do you think you could fill it up about 3/4's full and then send it back? That way, we could get over to your side slightly safer, and then we would be able to try shutting down the lightning rod?"

Rolling Persuasion (if necessary)...14 (1d20) + 11 - 3 (EF) = 22
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:25 pm

"Ah sure... I can do that..."
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:13 pm

"Right, then, let's send this box back over." Torque tried emptying the box of the dirt that Shallow had packed inside and placed it on the conveyor belt.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:59 pm

Bent Bow takes the box and walks away for a few moments. When she returns she sends the box through and it is now mostly filled it rather warm water.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:08 pm

"Well it ain't boilin', dat's good, but considerin' da' stance on water some of us got... Who yah' be ferryin' over wit' yah' gizmos, Torque?"
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:39 pm

"Shall I keep lookout for the master, then?" Sixty-Two asked. "I would assume that, as he expects nothing fishy, he wouldn't be returning any way but by the main gates, no?"
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:00 pm

"I don't think Mycop will be coming anytime soon. He's stationed on another island and he hasn't visited here recently. But, wait, you're telling me that you can't be submerged in ANY type of water? Do you get paralyzed or do you just sink like a stone? At any rate, if you're able to keep your head above the water, you should be fine...I think."

"Anyway, I'll go first."
Torque hopped into the box and tried submerging as much of himself as he could into the water. "Phenomenal superpowers, can't take a freaking bath," he thought to himself.

OOC: Someone should probably roll History or Arcana to figure out exactly what happens to Devil Fruit users in bath-height water.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:41 pm

"Look, I just don't want to risk it, alright?" Sixty-Two definitely did not shout. "It's just...I don't want to risk it, alright?" He turned. "Showers are one thing, but if I slip in the bath..." he mumbled.

Last edited by AProcrastinatingWriter on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Shallow approaches the box and helps Torque secure it. Witnessing 62's obvious terror, he whispered to Torque, facing away from the nervous book-pony: "I was alludin' ta' ah' friend wit' certain water terrors more, yah' know? Mite' be a tad bit unsettlin' ta' find oneself helpless, engulfed, and den' boiled like yah' be part of a stew, in a box smaller den' a coffin. Mite want ta' spare im' dat' experience. Anyway, knock twice wen' yah' be ready." Very Happy 

Before Torque could make any more objections, he closed off the box he was inside of, double-checked that the small machinist could indeed breath within it, or at least had air-holes, then carefully carried it over to the box opening, waiting for Torque's signal to "take the plunge".  

"Best ta' get ready, miss Bow. Yah' assistance mite' be required and readily welcomed!"

(OOC: According to the wiki, water up to the waist/neck is enough to paralyze a DF user. I think it would count as "common knowledge", at least for us DF's who probably experienced it in some minor manner. Rolled in OOC thread.)
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:00 pm

Torque sat in the box, feeling a bit ashamed. He had forgotten about 62's phobia; it would be unfair to subject him to a wet, warm coffin.

The phrase "boiled like a stew" stuck in his mind. Torque glanced at the water around him. Even with water having a high specific heat, there was a chance it would get REALLY hot REALLY fast once subjected to microwaves. And if microwaves didn't make the water release water vapor like heating with fire does, there was a chance it could superheat and boil Torque alive.

Torque started scratching the sides of the wooden box, which would allow vapor bubbles to form more easily. He then started using his telekinesis to make the water stir around him, which might help lower the temperature by adding air to the water. "By keeping the water circulated and allowing for easier formation of steam, the water that exceeds the boiling point should escape, which keeps me from boiling alive...well, sooner, anyway."

Rolling Mechanics...17 (1d20) + 12 + 3 (EF) = 32

Once he felt he was ready, he knocked twice, closed his eyes, submerged himself in the spinning water, and hoped he'd be able to last through it.

Rolling Endurance...10 (1d20) + 5 + Whatever situational bonus = 15 + SB
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:57 pm

With your quick preventive actions you manage to keep the heat to a rather bearable level through the first field.

OOC one down two to go...
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:15 pm

Continuing his previous methods to try and maintain the water temperature, Torque hoped that he would last through the next two fields. "I think using my teleport device might be more prudent to get the others over, unless there's a way to cool down the water in between trips," he thought.

Endurance:
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:32 pm

Sixty-Two watched the proceedings with bated breath.

No one was sure precisely what his breath was trying to catch, but there it was.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:47 pm

Shallow reassures 62: "Relax, pon. Wat's da' worst dat' could occur?"
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:34 pm

Sixty-Two sends Shallow a withering look. "I probably shouldn't actually try to answer that question in earnest, no?"
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:51 am

Lyntermas wrote:
Endurance:
Torque does manage to survive the next two fields although by the time that the box drops out and Bow opens it up the water is uncomfortably hot right on the verge of boiling. Bow hesitates for a moment before extending a hoof to help you out.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:48 pm

"'Ow yah' feelin', pon? Fine, or poached?" Very Happy 
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:45 pm

"Not quite poached, but this sauna's becoming a bit much," Torque said, grabbing Bow's hoof as he climbed out of the box. "Unless you can get some rain or snow to fill up the box, I think it isn't a viable method of transportation for most. So, would you like me to try teleporting you over to this side?"
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:17 pm

"Well, I could try an' make some rain an' snow ta' fall, assumin' it don't ruin da' storm, but I tink' going da' 'advanced' route mite' be more preferred. Feel free ta' do yah' magic dat' yah' do so well."
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:39 am

"Well, this is less magic and more science, but we'll see how it works. I'll start with 62, since the "hard way" isn't really viable for him for a number of reasons." Torque pressed a few buttons on his armband, targeting 62 so that he would appear next to Torque on the inside of the forcefield. "62, just hold still for a moment. I haven't really tested this yet. Here goes!" He pressed a final button on the teleportation armband.

OOC: Now to see if this works or if there's something actively blocking it.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 30 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18 ... 30  Next