Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zilean's Revenge (Part 4)

+2
A1C Bronymous
Ramsus
6 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Zilean's Revenge (Part 4) - Page 30 Empty Re: Zilean's Revenge (Part 4)

Post  Broken Logic Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:43 pm

Seeing the pained look on Horizon's face, Jeraylia just gets more determined. She looks past the haunting visage of the demon, and meets Horizon's eyes. Her own two orbs burn with the promise of salvation. She grins despite the circumstances, somewhat manically, finding humour in the gamble. Unfortunately she had never been in the same situation as the merc. Sure, she had had her fair share of demons plaguing her. It was just that none ever won. She wasn't about to start now.

Without removing her gaze, she shifts her hands to grip the arm more tightly, rather than continue to trying to pry the hand off her throat.

Just more rp.
Waiting to see how it plays out.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:09 pm

Rolf's magic succeeds in partially freeing Horizon's arm, giving him a modicum of control over it.

Jeraylia's throat burns from the constricting hand clutching it.

Zthulan attempts to take a slice out of the demon, but the demon, apparently noticing this, opts to hold Jeraylia between himself and Zthulan, using her as a human shield to block his blow.

The paladins and priests start chanting in unison. Though it doesn't seem as effective as when Jeraylia did it, it's having a similar effect on the entity, and Horizon can feel himself less and less restricted.

Horizon can roll end/athletics/arcana to gain control of his hands (freeing Jeraylia + whatever else he does with them), with +5 bonus (DC20). Jeraylia gets a -3 penalty to persuasion/endurance until she can recover from her throat injury (and can't talk until Horizon frees her), and must make another endurance check (unless Horizon succeeds). Zthulan can choose to 'cancel' his attack if he doesn't want to risk injuring Jeraylia.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:54 pm

'When it rains it pours' Zthulan quickly halts his progress, glaring at the entity with contempt. Pacing back and forth, Zthulan waits for another opening.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:13 pm

Horizon still looks at Jeraylia, still afraid to let go.

Still Afraid.

"Afraid." He says to himself, then, louder, "All I've been is afraid. I am afraid. I am terrified. But I won't be a coward." With renewed purpose, he puts all his effort into breaking the demon's hold. Tears still pouring, he forces his hands to release its grip on her throat, and offers it to Zthulan. "Well?"

Endurance: 17+10+5=32
I went ahead and assumed that passed, letting her go.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:10 pm

Jeraylia is released from the perilous grip, and the demon is immobilized.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:30 pm

Seeing Jeraylia free from the daemons grasp, Zthulan charges again. Aiming directly for the Horizon's right pectoral.

Atheltics: 8 + 7 = 13... Welp at the best I'll just miss, at the worse I'll stab the left pectoral and puncture his heart.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:13 pm

Seeing Zthulan lunging toward Horizon with the Kukris, Rolf tries to use his magic to pull the demon's essence away from Horizon and toward Zthulan's attack, in the hopes that it would hurt the demon and not Horizon.

Rolling Arcana...19 (1d20) + 14 - 2 (Infection) = 31
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:24 pm

Persuasion Roll to motivate Horizon: 16 (5+14persuasion-3sorethroat)
Which I guess is more like an assist roll.

"You are strong, Horizon," Jeraylia rasps through the pain. "But don't give up on the home stretch. The demon is on the ropes. Conquer your fear, don't just go for a draw." Jeraylia places a guiding hand on the kukri as Zthulan charges in. "Beat the living daylights into it."

Athletics assist roll on Zthulan: 18 (10+8athletics)
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:00 pm

Though he aims for the chest with the Kukri, Zthulan, inexperienced with such a blade, deals a mere glancing blow, the blade going 'clunk' and being deflected to the side as it hits the non-moving breastplate.

This, however, proves to be exactly what was needed. Rolf, pulling with his magic, manages to 'disjoint' the demon to the side, stripping its chest of the protection the breastplate's presence offered.

Though Horizon does endure a sharp pain from the kukri cutting into his less-protected side, the demon has it much worse, taking a direct blow in the chest. This forces it further away from Horizon, freeing him of its 'engulfing' effect.

Horizon took 5 damage. He's still stuck in the breastplate but otherwise free to act 'normally'. Kukri/stabbed demon is presumably within reach/grab of Horizon, sorta stunned (for now).

RP away, I guess (or don't).
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:07 pm

Horizon blinks, feeling the pain, but also the freedom. He almost felt as if a blindfold had been removed, and he could finally see clearly again. "I'm afraid..." he says quietly, closing his eyes, "...that it's time for you to go."

There, one liner delivered. Pay me.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:59 pm

The demon, under fire from the wards, the chanting, and now, a kukri in its chest, grimaces a face of confused rage. In an instant, its body 'solidifies' into a form resembling an ashen statue, then explodes, black vapor and dust propelled harmlessly in all direction, which then vanish or dissapate into the air after a few inches of 'flight', leaving not trace of the entity bar a darkened spot where it 'stood', and a group of silent, confused individuals.

The silence lasts but a moment before it is broken by one of the paladins:
"Can someone explain what the [ HOLY VULGARITIES! ] was that all about?!"
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:26 pm

Grabbing the fallen kukri, Zthulan goes to also retrieve his spear. "Our unconscious compatriot was plagued by a demon for a very long time. The culminations of what has happened recently helped it gain more control. Now perhaps we could start removing the stake inside Rolf now?"
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 pm

"Yes, my dear reverends. Please don't burden yourself with unnecessary details. It's all in the past now, and our wizard would appreciate the attention instead."
She steps closer to Horizon, in case he needs some assistance standing up, and asks, "You good?"
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:31 pm

Horizon's eyes remain closed for a moment, and he allows his legs to go slack, using his unmoving armor to remain upright. "...There comes a time in every man's life where he is faced with something that so utterly shatters his world, that he must reflect upon himself and decide whether he can continue as he has, or change with the winds to meet his new fate.... BUUUUUUUt, that's not today. No I'm not fine, I'm the same as always, plus a few more injuries." He straightens up and attempts to check his wounds, but cannot while confined. "Would someone please unmagic my armor? After a few minutes this is worse than the stocks." He struggles a bit, and does not notice the wisps of dark magical energy that he produces while doing so. "How's your neck, by the way?"

So yeah, surprise was spoiled already, but Horizon the Ranger is now Horizon the Deimomancer Hexblade. DUN NUH NUH NUUUUUH!

This means precisely nothing in regards to his character sheet, as he is as of this moment unaware of the change, and will mostly not ever try to use magic. But it will change up the flavoring of some of his stuff, mostly in combat, and in the odd situation where he wants to make a point or is forced to use magic over mundane methods to accomplish something.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:04 pm

"It was cut off from its plane of origin, and it couldn't teleport or disjoint itself, I'm pretty sure it's dead...or the closest demon equivalent, anyways." Rolf went over to Horizon and dispelled the Immovable spell from his breastplate. "...It's good to have you back, Horizon. And if you ever want talk about...any of that, just let us know."

Rolf then tried to compose himself and face the paladins and priest. "Sorry to have caused all this trouble, but if nothing else, it's good publicity for the power of your temple's wards (with some assistance). Anyways, I would appreciate being made unconscious before the extraction procedure, if it's not too much trouble."

Rolf couldn't help but glance over at the dark spot where the demon had died and shook his head. "Go to the festival, do some chores, see a play. No invasions, injuries, or exorcisms could possibly happen if you went to the festival, nooooo."
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:28 pm

As soon as the spell is removed, Horizon's legs give out and he collapses. "Thanks for that," he groans from the floor, "Now give me a minute to stand up, and I'll repay your favor by granting you unconsciousness." After a moment, he shakily stands back up. "So I'm having a great day. Nice Wards, priest, just strong enough to let a demon in and wreak some havoc before traipsing off to safety. I don't think you killed it, that Kukri isn't a Holy Relic. All it was meant to do was give me something to focus on so I could push him back out." A few unsteady steps later, he resumes his usual stance. "But, silver lining- I now know that it is, in fact, a real living demonic entity. I'm not just completely crazy after all. So drinks all around for that." Horizon looks around at the others, from Rolf's new appendage, to the hoarsened bard, to the Dragonborn with his Kukri. "Story time comes later, if you're really interested. For now I'll take that back, please. And someone point me to the nearest campfire, I'm feeling a bit chilly."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:43 pm

"Yes, uhm, well..", the priest begins, "Whilst the whole demon business is a bit unsettling, I suppose the important thing is nobody was irrevocably injured, and no property was, well, demolished.", he says, glancing at a particular hole and pieces of rubble in the vicinity.

"I'm surprised the wards appear to have worked against such a creature, to be sincere - we didn't set them up with such demons in mind. A nice thing to know, in any case. I'm sure the High Priest will be pleased to hear of it. But back to you bunch: There's plenty of braziers around for your friend to warm up next to, and if you will follow me, mr. Rolf...", he continues, pointing to a nearby brazier fixture (obviously intended as a light source), and leading Rolf towards the hallway with the bedrooms they investigated earlier.

It seems it's been re-purposed into a temporary hospital, of sorts. Rolf is lead into one of the rooms with a bed.
"Now, depending on how much you are willing to recover, I see three methods for us to work this procedure. Ideally, you would need to be kept unconscious for at least a day during and following the procedure, followed by a few more days of bed rest. Since you appear to be adventurers, I'm guessing you don't have time for that. Now, this down-time may be compensated by a particularly proficient surgeon or healer performing the procedure, but I'm afraid we lack both at the moment, since they're all occupied with life-threatening matters, or not present. I'm perfectly capable of healing you, just not quite as good as an expert in... impalement wounds... would.

Now, to keep you unconscious for such a duration, we can provide some potent poultices, but they're notoriously difficult to undo, should a speedy wake-up call be required.

Alternately, we could opt for a more... Well, them more informal method of "knocking you out", but that would require the medical procedure to be hasty, would be unpleasant and mildly unhealthy, and could risk the unfortunate circumstance of you waking in the middle of it, undermining the procedure. You'd have the benefit of being awake and functioning within hours, though.

We could also opt out of unconsciousness altogether, but that would depend solely on your own abilities to, well, cope with pain, and remain calm. You could theoretically hasten and assist the surgery by remaining stable, but it could also lead to complications if you are too 'unruly'.

Ultimately, the choice is yours - how much time and effort you're willing to invest in recovery. The procedure will probably take at least an hour a half. Half an hour, if you happen to not mind a day of unpleasantness, or have favors with a good surgeon. Any medicines or recovery aids you can provide would help as well, of course: We have to ration things down for emergencies and combatants."
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Shrugging tiredly Zthulan hands Horizon his kukri.

Last edited by Azarune on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:57 pm

"Not going to watch the surgery? Provide moral support as the wizard succumbs to infection while bleeding out at the same time? Channel his recently dead spirit into some totem or other to grant us magical protection? No?" Horizon cocks a snarky grin at Zthulan, then wobbles his way over to one of the firepits. "Well you can come keep me company then. Protect me from any more vengeful demons that might come after me while I sleep." He sits down- or collapses, either way- in front of the brazier, and begins warming himself. "Or if you don't want to, then maybe the Bard will join me?" He catches the hint of pleading that crept into his voice there, and clears his throat. "Or maybe a nice Lady of Light. Does this place even have any female Paladins?"

Protip to maintaining composure, just keep talking. Also helps keep you from going into shock, if that happens to be the case.

Not that he needs to maintain his composure, or anything. Certainly not. Streetwise check to see if the temple has any female Paladins, because why not?: 7+10+5(FK Religion)=22
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:09 pm

"I'll see to it that your daemon doesn't return.  If anything I could see if I can put you under the protection of potentially deceased kin..."  sitting a few steps away from Horizon, Zthulan gazes into the fire.  "Now, before any of that happens, I need to summon Koras' physical form again. Depending on if we stay here that is."

Extended rest used to bring back Koras.  Also taking this time to redo character sheet in regards to new rules.

Last edited by Azarune on Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:14 am

"I've sung through worse," she replies to Horizon's question, and coughs heavily into her hand, betraying the extent of the discomfort. "Though I can't quite rightly remember when. Thank you for the concern, however. And while I wouldn't normally turn down a night in your company, I think I'd better hold the wizard's hand during his operation, now that we're done holding yours. Though if you ask nicely, Zthulan might deign to hold it again. And while we're at it, I think he'd probably have a nice singing voice. Perhaps you could sing him a lullaby, ole dragon born chum? To dispel any remnants of his fears as he lays his soft, downy head to sleep?"
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:22 am

Rolf considered the options the priest had presented. "I see. I think I may be leaning toward using one of the poultices you mentioned. I...don't trust myself to keep a cool head when experiencing excruciating pain, and "knocking me out" seems a bit haphazard. I think taking the full hour and a half operation would be best; I want this done right the first time (well, as right as it can be). I'm not sure I can recall any surgeons that owe me favors (apart from the whole "saving the day" yesterday or any of the prisoners who escaped from Zilean's camp). However, I do have some healing potions crafted by Stoutbottom that might be of use." He pulled out a few potions to examine them. "Perhaps drinking one of the "simple" healing potions beforehand might speed recovery?"

"In any case, I would like to confer with my compatriots beforehand to let them know what's going on. Please save the bed, I should be back shortly." Rolf gave a polite nod to the priest, then headed back to the others. "So, the operation is possible, but it might take an hour and a half for it to proceed, and possibly longer for me to wake back up from the poultice they'll be using to put me under. So, my plan is that once the operation is complete, you can place me on the board and we can start heading back to the Hiding Hole." Rolf handed the kitten ring to Jeraylia. "Now, remember, we aren't to disturb the old lady more than we have to, and for the sake of our sanity, make sure to remember to use the ring on the TAIL-FEATHERS of the bird engraving. We don't want to fight another pair of suits of armor if we don't have to."

"The only other thing that could help is we had a spare surgeon that would be willing to assist the operation. Hmm, I wonder if any of the prisoners we helped free at Zilean's encampment have made it here."
Rolf glanced around to see if there were any refugees he recognized (or where the kobold and goblin he had brought with them had gone off to.

Rolling Perception...8 (1d20) + 7 + 3 (Sharp Eyes) = 18 (w/ Magical Attunement, if it matters)
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:25 pm

Zthulan chuckles towards Jeraylia.  "I do a little singing, but nothing compared to you Jeraylia."  Tapping a claw on his chin Zthulan scours his mind for a song. Staring at the flames, Zthulan begins to hum a song. Slowly remembering the words. Before beginning however Rolf comes and informs them on their decision. "Would you like one of us to be there to help the priests?"
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:53 pm

Horizon stands again, and walks back over to the plank he rode in on. Having heard Zthulan begin to hum, he hums along as he searches for and finds his helmet.

"Put on the rope..."

He looks through what salvaged alchemical supplies they had and began collecting what bits he could use.

"You knew the day was coming..."

He walks back over to the brazier and sits again, now focused on his task, the familiarity of his coping mechanism calming him again.

"Say your prayers once more..."

He begins to work, shutting out everything else. He didn't need to sleep, sleep brought bad dreams. This was all he needed, calm, no dreams, no memories, no fears.

"You're part of the Hangman's body count..."

Not that I know what all ingredients I might have, so he's really just experimenting, seeing what he can make.
I figure its Mechanics check to make potions? 17+10+5(FK Alchemy)= 32, to make something or other.

If I could fold this into an extended rest, too, that would be great, but I doubt it.

Remember when we all had theme songs? We should get more of those.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:18 am

Azarune wrote: Before beginning however Rolf comes and informs them on their decision.  "Would you like one of us to be there to help the priests?"

"If you'd like. Zthulan, your healing abilities in particular might help speed things along. However, it will take quite some time one way or the other, and if we could find someone who specializes in...well, removing foreign objects, that would be best."
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next