Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+42
Bubblez
Faege
Terrestial
Exuno
PhoenixSpectre
Cardbo
DrownedChampion
Broken Logic
mjh6
Copper Rose
Crystalite
Snagging Roots
deonte9109
Dusk Raven
LoganAura
Caden2112
Pingcode
Antiquated
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Z2
Paper Shadow
Fury of the Tempest
Philadelphus
Lapis-Lazily
tygerburningbright
Mind Gamer
Stairc -Dan Felder
Zarhon
sunbeam
Hayatecooper
Demonu
A1C Bronymous
XandZero2
Kindulas
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Sefton
Quietkal
Doc pseudopolis
ZamuelNow
SparkImpulse
46 posters

Page 27 of 30 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 27 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Espresso Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:47 am

Wanderlust question,

The Destiny Features of Dragon Disciple is really cool, but I'm wondering if the final destiny feature counts as a Shapeshift ability for the purposes of Chimeric Shifter. It doesn't have the Shapeshift keyword but since it's functionally a shapeshift power I'm not sure if it applies or not.

Dragon Form:

Chimeric Shifter:

Also, for the Aspect parts of Shapeshifting abilities, do you gain the benefits even if you're not in the animal form? Take the Hawk Form power, for example, if I turned into a hawk but changed back out, would I still get the benefits of Aspect of the Hawk? If so, would I gain the benefits even if I haven't used the power before?

Hawk Form:

and one last question, what does the challenge effect here mean? I thought challenges just did Level*d10 damage? Or is this the exception?
Bear Form:
Espresso
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 27 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Demonu Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:24 pm

How overpowered would it be if a character, with only three combat traits which can be as early as level 2, is able to summon a Fire Giant on its first turn or potentially even before its first turn?

Talking specifically about the following traits:
Conjurer Pet:
The Spirit Lives On:
The Spirit Ascends:

I figure that going by RAI rules, sacrifice is not the same as destroy. In that case, you might want to rewrite the following talent from destroy to sacrifice.
Your Glorious Sacrifice:

Additionally, nowhere is it stated whether you can or cannot attack allies. Even so, going by the following wording:
Creature – Any creature; including allies, enemies and even non-combatants.
Means that talents that specify "Target creature" can target the Conjurer's Pet. Going by that, it is possible to have your teammates beat up your Conjurer's Pet for a measly 15 HP or do it yourself on your own turn and have a Fire Giant out on round 1.

It seems that nobody has even considered beating up their own allied Conjurer's Pet but a round 1 Fire Giant is a very acceptable trade-off
(even if it doesn't seem that friendship-y but hey, that is what reflavouring is for)
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:28 pm

I've used this combo before. It's fun. And it's intended.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:30 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:I've used this combo before. It's fun. And it's intended.
Duly noted Smile
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:15 am

Question:
Would an ability like Fate exchange let you go above your maximum HP if you switched with an ally with more health than you (for example a fire giant)? Also, can unconscious allies be targeted with this talent?

Fate Exchange:
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:04 pm

I've always wondered this but never thought to ask here - in Wanderlust, some of the Shapeshifting Traits have stuff like,

(2) Form of the Alpha Wolf
Aspect of the Alpha (at the end of your turn, if you did not use a Wolf power, gain the following effect): Target creature gains 5 Life and 1 Energy.

Does this mean that this effect is applied every turn you aren't transformed/use a power while transformed?
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:40 am

Dusk Raven wrote:I've always wondered this but never thought to ask here - in Wanderlust, some of the Shapeshifting Traits have stuff like,

(2) Form of the Alpha Wolf
Aspect of the Alpha (at the end of your turn, if you did not use a Wolf power, gain the following effect): Target creature gains 5 Life and 1 Energy.

Does this mean that this effect is applied every turn you aren't transformed/use a power while transformed?

Yes. It's a balancing tool to ensure players who take shapeshifting abilities don't feel the need to always shapeshift on turn 1. While in the form you gain access to powerful attacks. If not using one of those, you gain an equal but different benefit. This way shapeshifting is truly an option.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:59 am

Since Espresso's question wasn't answered, and I'd like it answered too, I'll ask again:

Aspect of the Bear (at the end of your turn, if you did not use a Bear power, gain the following effect): Deal 1d8 damage to target creature, and Challenge that creature until the end of your next turn.
Challenge Effect - Deal 10 damage to the Challenged creature.

What's this challenge effect thing? Is it the penalty for ignoring the challenge, rather than the usual xd10 effect? Or is it applied with the challenge off the bat?
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:02 am

AleneShazam wrote:Since Espresso's question wasn't answered, and I'd like it answered too, I'll ask again:

Aspect of the Bear (at the end of your turn, if you did not use a Bear power, gain the following effect): Deal 1d8 damage to target creature, and Challenge that creature until the end of your next turn.
Challenge Effect - Deal 10 damage to the Challenged creature.

What's this challenge effect thing? Is it the penalty for ignoring the challenge, rather than the usual xd10 effect? Or is it applied with the challenge off the bat?

It's the penalty for ignoring the challenge.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:11 am

Regarding the Blast from the Past talent, when it says "You can affect no creature", does that include passive trait effects, such as Guardian's Oath or Inspiring Presence?

Blast From The Past:

Inspiring Presence:

Guardian's Oath:
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:29 am

AleneShazam wrote:Regarding the Blast from the Past talent, when it says "You can affect no creature", does that include passive trait effects, such as Guardian's Oath or Inspiring Presence?

Blast From The Past:

Inspiring Presence:

Guardian's Oath:

Yes, it does. You basically don't exist.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:46 pm

There are many effects in Pony Tales that halve damage (like Guarded Stance, and Guardian's Shield)
Can you stack Half Damage to achieve, like, quarter damage?

Example abiilities:
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:57 pm

AleneShazam wrote:There are many effects in Pony Tales that halve damage (like Guarded Stance, and Guardian's Shield)
Can you stack Half Damage to achieve, like, quarter damage?

Example abiilities:

Nope. The abilities don't stack like an equation. They are redundant, separate sources applying the same static 50% cut in damage.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:46 am

Does the half damage effect take place before or after Resist/Vuln?
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:13 pm

Can you have multiple of the same conjuration in play at once, or can you only have one of each at a time?
Espresso
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:30 am

Poking a little since I want to know the answer to Espresso's question, as well as the answer to the activation order of effects like vuln, resist and half damage.
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:51 am

Sorry for the delayed answer. I didn't get an email notification about either of these questions. Feel free to poke me at designerdanf@gmail.com in the future, if a post here goes unanswered.

AleneShazam wrote:Does the half damage effect take place before or after Resist/Vuln?

Yes. All damage that would be dealt is divided by 2 before resistance/vuln is applied. Resistance happens before Vulnerability too, since it's a last step of damage prevention. Vulnerability happens once the damage is actually being taken. So if a character has resist 5 and vuln 900 and a source tries to deal 5 damage to them... They actually take no damage.

Espresso wrote:Can you have multiple of the same conjuration in play at once, or can you only have one of each at a time?

You can have multiple copies of the same conjuration in play. I've made some wicked conjurer builds that dish out whole swarms of crazy conjurations.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:21 pm

So what happens when you have these:

[–7] Midnight’s Blade - Standard Utility
For the rest of the battle you may reroll all 1s on dice you roll for attacks, and once per round you may have one of your attacks deal +6 damage to a single creature.

Chain of the Drunken Master - 1000 Gold
Armor
While you are dazed, you may roll twice on all die rolls and use either result.

Do you roll twice, then reroll any 1s twice? Does it spiral off into infinite dice-rolling madness?

I.e. roll 2d10 = 1 , 5
Reroll 1 = 1 , 6 (twice because chain?)
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:23 pm

AleneShazam wrote:So what happens when you have these:

[–7] Midnight’s Blade - Standard Utility
For the rest of the battle you may reroll all 1s on dice you roll for attacks, and once per round you may have one of your attacks deal +6 damage to a single creature.

Chain of the Drunken Master - 1000 Gold
Armor
While you are dazed, you may roll twice on all die rolls and use either result.

Do you roll twice, then reroll any 1s twice? Does it spiral off into infinite dice-rolling madness?

I.e. roll 2d10 = 1 , 5
Reroll 1 = 1 , 6 (twice because chain?)

This is simple in concept but a bit hard to explain because of grammar.

The "die rolls" in chain of the drunken master refers to any action that causes you to roll dice for an effect. You may do so twice and use either result.

Rerolling refers to modificiantions within one of these dice rolls. It's a way of altering rolls in process, not counting as their own roll.

Otherwise chain of the drunken master would go infinite with itself, since every 2 of its "rolls" would be able to be rolled twice as well. Wink

In short, with this combo you roll as normal, rerolling all 1s until you get things that aren't 1s. Then you may do the whole process again. Compare the two final totals, and choose either result.

Example: An effect deals 1d6 damage. Chain allows you to perform this twice and choose either result.

You roll a 1, and can reroll it due to midnight blade. This reroll changes the existing roll, you do NOT get to reroll twice. You roll it again, getting a 2.

You then do the whole process again and roll a flat 4 this time.

You choose either the 2 or the 4. I suggest the 4.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:47 am

So with regards to conjuror's savior...
Conjuror's savior:

Does "target ally" mean ally of the pet? or of the player character? as in, can I confer the temp hp and saving throw to the PC?

For that matter, for spectral warden:
spectral warden:

In warden's duty, it specifies 'an ally', and my question is the same as above.

ALSO

[+1] Divine Boon - Standard Utility
Target ally deals an additional 1d8 damage on its next attack and an ally of your choice regains that many hit points.

Do I roll the 1d8? Or does the ally roll 1d8 upon attacking?
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:35 pm

AleneShazam wrote:So with regards to conjuror's savior...
Conjuror's savior:

Does "target ally" mean ally of the pet? or of the player character? as in, can I confer the temp hp and saving throw to the PC?

For that matter, for spectral warden:
spectral warden:

In warden's duty, it specifies 'an ally', and my question is the same as above.

"Ally" means not you. One of the best ways to shut down a conjurer is to knock them out so their conjurations start vanishing. This means it's often hard for a conjurer's conjurations to defend their conjurer directly. As you can see, Spectral Warden specifies "you or target ally" in order to make it clear it actually can target you. Conjurers have a lot of power in the right builds and need this weakness.

[+1] Divine Boon - Standard Utility
Target ally deals an additional 1d8 damage on its next attack and an ally of your choice regains that many hit points.

Do I roll the 1d8? Or does the ally roll 1d8 upon attacking?

They roll the 1d8. You're boosting their attack.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:48 pm

So the healing effect of Divine boon takes place when the damage buff goes off, then?
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:56 pm

AleneShazam wrote:So the healing effect of Divine boon takes place when the damage buff goes off, then?

Yes.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:55 pm

"Conjure Spectre" is still listed twice in the Google Doc, outside the specialty classes - once under Necromancer and once under Alchemist.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Faege Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:32 am

[–2] Blink - Interrupt Utility
Trigger - An enemy targets you with an attack.
Effect - Flip a coin. If heads, you are not affected by the attack. If tails, gain 5 temporary HP.

When it says 'not affected', am I still a target of the attack? for example with roar of challenge

[–2] Roar of Challenge - Minor Utility
Target creature and all creatures adjacent to it are subjected to your “Roar of Challenge” until the end of your next turn. A creature subjected to your, “Roar of Challenge” deals half damage on attacks that do not include you as a target.

is Blink going to make it so I'm not a target?

Additionally, if my character is included in the attack as an adjacent thing (say fireball, and I'm one of the adjacent targets but not the main target) does that negate roar or challenge?

Faege
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 30 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next