Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Season 1 Episode 1: Pilot

+8
AProcrastinatingWriter
Inferno1114
XandZero2
Snaitf
LoganAura
Ramsus
Stairc -Dan Felder
Commander Shepard
12 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Season 1 Episode 1: Pilot Empty Season 1 Episode 1: Pilot

Post  Commander Shepard Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:30 pm

Hello friends, I'm here to offer games of Pony Tales over IRC. I realize this is a slightly different format than the play by post method, but it is an extremely traditional " lets all sit down together and do stuff " DND esque method. I am a long time DM/GM of games like DnD 3.5, 4.0, Cyberpunk 2020, and other various systems. This will be my first time with pony tales.
I am looking for a few good ponies ( between 4 and 6) to join me for regular 3 hour sessions once a week. I am thinking Friday @ 9 PM EST, but I can change the time and day if there is a common interest.
All in character dialogue and relevant actions will go into IRC, and I will try to have an OOC voice server up. After the session I am going to dump the log and do a writeup of the session in the form of a short story, to be posted to these forums.
The IRC channel is #ponytales @ irc.ponychat.net. You can get an IRC client or connect directly through http://iris.ponychat.net/
The story will begin in the small ( and fictional ) hamlet of Greendale located between Fillydelphia and Stableside. http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/335/a/4/equestria_and_beyond__rev_8_1_by_hlissner-d46wmzm.jpg
I would ask applicants to have a character sheet and an idea of some backstory, and whether they have lived in the town or are new arrivals. Once the party is locked in, I will release the campaign details.
Please do not apply if you cannot make regular appointments, this is often what kills adventuring groups no matter the game title.

I am looking forward to an extremely successful experiment.

Edited details:

You have received a letter from the Mayor of Greendale, Lady Candlebright. She has sent for the most skilled of your generation, gathering them to Greendale for reasons of " Art, Music, Theatre, and Adventure ".
For those born outside town:
What little you have heard of Greendale seems to indicate a wonderous place of learning and arts. Set at the crux of a forest and a swamp, its riverboats travel the southern edge of Equestria gathering goods and ideas. It's massive Amphitheatre is known for its yearly Hearts Warming Eve performance, considered to be the finest outside of Canterlot. Ponies of class and social status mix with the local farmers and merchants as the great farms that surround Greendale move feed along the river, keeping life in the town comfortable and plentiful.
For town dwellers:
You have lived here all your life. You know all the locals, from James Cob the corn farmer to Steel Blaze the Shoesmith. Maybe you have even done some dabbling in the arts yourself? The local library was founded by a descendant of Star Swirl the Bearded, and is second to none. Learned Academiponies, Zebra Shamans, even Griffin Sages are known to drop by for a look at some new find. There is one thing bothering you lately though. The town can't seem to keep a pegasus on as weatherpony. Why even now, a huge storm is brewing from the sea, moving upriver. Ponies have begun to evacuate the town, and even Lady Candlebright has moved to her family's estates in the deep woods. The few visiting pegasii have their hands full holding back the front of the storm.

Our story begins....

Last edited by Commander Shepard on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarity)
Commander Shepard
Commander Shepard
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Season 1 Episode 1: Pilot Empty Re: Season 1 Episode 1: Pilot

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:43 pm

I'm Commander Stairc, and I hope this becomes my favorite Pony Tales game off the forum. Cool
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:34 pm

I totally saw that one coming.....

Well, this would certainly be the right place to be recruiting for games of any sort. Good luck!
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:27 pm

Friday'd be an okay day for me, but I wouldn't be able to stay up past 1:00am since I'd work in the morning until september. and maybe even until August.

Pony I'd like to play EDITED: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XpNtayS9ae1hLn6PRY3ldV7HEKm0RmfVkYB5G1lJy_k/edit
backstory below
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-uTBy6oS9Qs1EqWtSGzawKffLMCT2A7na2BWfQ4ZzAk/edit

Last edited by LoganAura on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Snaitf Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:43 am

I'm thinking of joining this game but I have to ask what races are you allowing? I have been playing rpgs for a few years now, (mostly world of darkness, d&d 3.5, and pathfinder) and would like to try out this system.

Last edited by Snaitf on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wanted to add some thoughts that I felt should be in post.)

Snaitf
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Commander Shepard Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:00 am

Just ponies.
Commander Shepard
Commander Shepard
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:22 pm

Just curious, but what is an IRC? In Realtime Chat?

I wish you the best of luck finding a group CS. You should have an easy time finding some willing participants.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Commander Shepard Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:04 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat

It is the oldest of old school chats.
Commander Shepard
Commander Shepard
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Snaitf Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:34 pm

Well, I'll be honest, I typically work on backgrounds when I know the details of the campaign so it fits better, so I'm still working on that. That being said, here what I'm going with so far. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bwu44pGel0vrejJXZm1JOFJPMHc/edit

Snaitf
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Commander Shepard Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:20 pm

Edited OP with details on the campaign. I'd also like to welcome LoganAura and Snaitf to the campaign. We are of course looking for at least two more ponies.
Also lol. I just started reading the P Files campaign and noticed it is also based off of Louisiana. A popular topic?
Commander Shepard
Commander Shepard
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Commander Shepard Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Doesn't look like we will have enough people to start tomorrow night so it'll be pushed back to Friday 24th.
Commander Shepard
Commander Shepard
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:26 am

Commander Shepard wrote:Edited OP with details on the campaign. I'd also like to welcome LoganAura and Snaitf to the campaign. We are of course looking for at least two more ponies.
Also lol. I just started reading the P Files campaign and noticed it is also based off of Louisiana. A popular topic?

Hah!

I live in LA! That's why I chose New Orleans. I'm going with what I know (;

I can definitely see the New Orleans vibes in your city too, especially with the big storm coming. Is it Katrina? In my setting, I was thinking Katrina could be a Sea Serpent, a really angry one (:

Sorry to hear you don't have enough support yet, but I bet you'll get some more takers, given time. Have you checked the thread for players looking for games? I'd be tempted to play myself if Masterweaver doesn't show up again to run his campaign by this time next week.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:04 am

Oh, I noticed you don't have a cutie mark skill chosen snaitf. I can see Acro, Stunt, or Arcana (For pegasi magic) as the skill. Or are you going to have him earn his cutie mark through the game?
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Inferno1114 Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:42 am

I may be interested in your story. I'm going to try and give my character one last run in a new campaign and then I'm going to work with new ones.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cqmELzTtW0ltuMK8lzCh3jqN8BBWSA4yz3mEs6VbGyU/edit

As for times, Fridays can be a problem since I have another session on Friday, but its days tend to be sporadic so it may work. I'm also on EST if that factors into available days at all
Inferno1114
Inferno1114
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:06 am

Inferno1114 wrote:I may be interested in your story. I'm going to try and give my character one last run in a new campaign and then I'm going to work with new ones.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cqmELzTtW0ltuMK8lzCh3jqN8BBWSA4yz3mEs6VbGyU/edit

As for times, Fridays can be a problem since I have another session on Friday, but its days tend to be sporadic so it may work. I'm also on EST if that factors into available days at all

You seem to have Precision marked as Trained when it isn't, I'm sorry to say.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Inferno1114 Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:11 am

whoops, typo there. And that was Perception, not Precision
Inferno1114
Inferno1114
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Commander Shepard Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:10 pm

Alright, so that brings us up to three.

What I'd like to do is get to know you guys a little before we start. If you aren't too busy, anytime tonight or any night over the next week, drop in the IRC Channel ( details in the original post ) and come talk. I have short OPTIONAL solo prequel adventures for the three of you, if you want to try them, so I can get to know each others style of play and narrative, so I can edit the campaign more to your style.
This is the fighting versus roleplay debate the comes into any rpg.

You can also meet and greet each other. I have also procured a mumble server ( http://mumble.sourceforge.net/ ) @ 206.217.193.179 port 5056, password brony. Hop on anytime?

Commander Shepard
Commander Shepard
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Inferno1114 Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:05 pm

I tied looking for the Irc group you said you started but I couldn't find the one you named
Inferno1114
Inferno1114
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Commander Shepard Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:11 pm

Yeah it closes itself unless someone is already in there. I'm currently there right now, and just finished LoganAura's/Pristine Page's Intro.
Commander Shepard
Commander Shepard
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Commander Shepard Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:53 am

Logan, snaitf, and Inferno all showed up tonight and got their prequel stories done. Hopefully everyone had alot of fun, I know I did, and we got some rules lawyering sorted out. Ill post raw logs tomorrow and short stories.
Commander Shepard
Commander Shepard
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Commander Shepard Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:43 pm

Dear Princess Celestia,
Today I learned about the power of immediate interrupts. They are so ridiculously overpowered that Im having most of my villains use them.

So here are the prequel raw logs. I think it went pretty well, and there was some good story telling all around.
Logan: http://pastebin.com/HABR6Gkf
Snaitf: http://pastebin.com/tfMSY1wp
Inferno1114: http://pastebin.com/KKLmUjtS

We are still looking for 1-3 more ponies before next friday.
Commander Shepard
Commander Shepard
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AlicornPriest Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:17 pm

Commander Shepard wrote:
Next Friday, no, but the Friday after that, maybe. If, that's all right, of course...
AlicornPriest
AlicornPriest
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:28 pm

Commander Shepard wrote:Dear Princess Celestia,
Today I learned about the power of immediate interrupts. They are so ridiculously overpowered that Im having most of my villains use them.

So here are the prequel raw logs. I think it went pretty well, and there was some good story telling all around.
Logan: http://pastebin.com/HABR6Gkf
Snaitf: http://pastebin.com/tfMSY1wp
Inferno1114: http://pastebin.com/KKLmUjtS

Why do you think immediate interrupts are so powerful? You still need to waste a turn setting them up, don't you? They still cost a standard action and everything... I think ?.?
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Commander Shepard Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:51 pm

It was my understanding that you simply paid the cost and didn't need to ready them, just meet the description. In which case,

Immediate Interrupt
Trigger – An enemy hits you with an attack
The triggering attack hits a random enemy instead.

Is so powerful in taking a hugely damaging attack and throwing it somewhere else, for the low cost of 3 pips. You can take an attack of much higher pip cost and, at least for you, completely negate it.
Commander Shepard
Commander Shepard
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:00 pm

Commander Shepard wrote:It was my understanding that you simply paid the cost and didn't need to ready them, just meet the description. In which case,

Immediate Interrupt
Trigger – An enemy hits you with an attack
The triggering attack hits a random enemy instead.

Is so powerful in taking a hugely damaging attack and throwing it somewhere else, for the low cost of 3 pips. You can take an attack of much higher pip cost and, at least for you, completely negate it.

I had considered that interpretation myself, but I thought it might be too powerful, and since Stairc had explained them in the Player's Handbook as being "Just like traps" I imagined you had to set them with a standard action.

-I could be wrong however (:

I wonder if there's an FAQ on that somewhere?
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum