Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zilean's Revenge

+3
A1C Bronymous
Kris_The_Guest
Lyntermas
7 posters

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Zilean's Revenge - Page 33 Empty Re: Zilean's Revenge

Post  Ramsus Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:07 am

But isn't it our tradition to split the party whenever possible? Why stop now when it's worked so well for us so far? =P
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:29 am

I FORGOT MY FLUTE. MUST GO BACK.
jk.
Or am I?
Edit: Yes. Yes, I am.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:19 am

Ramsus wrote:But isn't it our tradition to split the party whenever possible? Why stop now when it's worked so well for us so far? =P

Rolf: Hmm. I wonder who this Lizzie character is and why she would need so much meat. Is she a Zilean spy who's using it to smuggle in zombie gas?
Horizon: RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY FROM THE DIRE LIGER!

Rolf: Oh, and there's also a note saying that the stairs need repairing.
H&T: Aaaaah! *thud*

"...So....left, everyone?" asked Rolf. "Unless we particularly want to see where the other bells are." Rolf decided to look back and see if he could follow the string from the plank to whichever of the two tunnels it led to.

Roll for Perception.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:43 pm

Skitter shrugs and spots what Rolf is trying to do and attempts to do so as well.

Perception: 11 + 8 = 19
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:55 pm

Rolf backtracks and follows the strings leading into the tunnel the rest of the party is in. It leads and ends at the plank trigger Horizon found already. Skitter, however, searches the tunnel a bit more, and notices another plank trigger with strings. It is located near the right tunnel/room entrance and its strings lead into that room. The left tunnel/room doesn't have any planks on the floor and no strings lead into it.

Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:08 pm

"We should go right. Whoever they are were more concerned about people going that way."
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:18 pm

Roll for Geography, checking direction again. Assume that Horizon was keeping track of any twists, turns, or changes in direction upon entering/leaving room: 6 (+ whatever).

Edit: Stalled again
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:32 pm

Horizon attempts to gauge where to go to reach the coffin, but he can't tell where they would be now, in reference to the entrance and the coffin, due to the twisting tunnels of varying length. He'd have to measure the tunnel lengths, or have a better reference to the outside, to get a better idea of where they are, and from that, tell which way to go.

Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:59 pm

Horizon looks back and forth between the two tunnels, impatiently. "Right it is, then. Let's hurry this along, we still have a mayor to rescue." Horizon falls in line after the others, checking over his shoulder anxiously.

Be aware: the Demon's showing up soon. Let's see how the new spirit guy handles this.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:11 am

Awww crap. pale
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:48 am

"...Assuming he hasn't already been eaten or zombified. But yeah, the sooner we find out what's at the end of these caverns, the better." Rolf follows behind Horizon.

...I would ask exactly what you mean by "showing up", but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:07 pm

"Into the breach it seems," with a breath Zthulan follows the two onwards.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:05 pm

The party enters the room on the right, taking care to avoid walking on the suspicious plank.

Perception -> 4 (H), 9 (R), 9 (J), 3 (S), 4 (Z)

Glancing over his shoulder, Horizon doesn't notice anything of note.

This room is rather different from the other rooms: half of the room appears to be dug out from soil, while (roughly) another other half is is dug out from hard rock. Piles of crushed rocks of various sizes litter the room. This room has another tunnel , dug out of rock, at the wall to the right of the entrance you came from. Dirt and soil litter the bottom of the rock floor section, stamped and condensed in various areas, as well as thin as powder in others. Five sleeping bags, made of linen and fit for a small creature, are in this room, as well as a typical chest, similar to the ones you've seen in the temple.

Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:57 pm

Skitter goes to check out the chest, wary of traps.

Since the Thievery skill covers both trap handling and Lockpicking I'll roll one of those pre-emptively, as I figure it's likely going to be either trapped or locked. If it's both, Zarhon just roll that check for me. Perception: 10+8 = 18. Thievery: 18 + 8 = 26.
Edit: I got lockpicks right? How much bonus do they give?
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:05 pm

Skitter

Perception -> 10 + 8 = 18
? -> 9 + 8 = 17

Skitter barely notices that something isn't right about the chest: It's far too large for creature of small size to use and there's no way it could have fit through the tunnels...

Thievery -> 18 + 6

Skitter experimentally prods the chest with a nearby shovel, in an attempt to trigger a trap from a safe distance. It works: The chest, as soon as the pickaxe prodded it, opens its lid, revealing a set of razor-sharp teeth, which it uses to lung for the tool, snapping down hard on it, severing the blade from the wooden handle. Simultaneously, brown-colored arms extend from both sides of the chest!

Map time!

############
############
##....C..........##
##.......S...........
##................##
##...R.H.J.Z...##
#####..######
#####..######

# - Wall
.. - Empty space
C - Chest
S - Skitter
R - Rolf
H - Horizon
J - Jeraylia
Z - Zthulan
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:11 am

Oh, well. I don't know what to do, so I'll go with this.

"SIT!" Jeraylia booms out in an authoritative voice. She holds up her hand, displaying what appears to be a silver necklace. "Who's a good boy? Who's a good boy?" she croons at the mimic, dangling the item alluringly.

Diplomacy check? Unless you want to roll some initiative, and let another person go first. And here is where I say mimics are peoples, too XD.

Last edited by Broken Logic on Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:12 am

Skitter mumbles a short mash of garbled curses and....

Edit: Ninja'd. If that clearly didn't work after about a second, Skitter does the following:

throws a slash of shadow at the mimic living chest the I have no idea what is and then quickly darts back away behind the others.

And if it does, well, lol yeah right. I'll react to that when it happens. (I did briefly consider screwing with Zarhon and playing a mimic when he said we could play as "anything we wanted" so, it is conceivable this won't just be a mindless monster.)
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:38 am

Rolf watches as Jeraylia tries to..."tame" the mimic. He reaches down to grab the fireball wand in case things go wrong.

He takes a quick look at his surroundings. The five sleeping bags probably belonged to the miners, meaning that this may have been the last place they set up camp before they...disappeared. He glanced over at the tunnel carved out of rock. Was it the foundations of Gregorius's crypt? Would it have come down this far?

It suddenly occurred to Rolf that while the miners may be gone, there may still be more dangers ahead. "Zthulan, could you check the next tunnel while we...handle this?" Rolf asked in a hushed tone.

...Let's just say I find it unlikely Zarhon made this map to show off a small barren room which is only meant to house one enemy in it. It might get a bit crowded in a bit.

As for diplomacy...if it works, great. But I recall Zarhon's reaction to my suggestion that the giant squid could be friendly was...interesting.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:49 am

Well, mimics are intelligent, to a degree, as well as capable of speaking (although language they know might be iffy). There are also, apparently, mimics that are friendly/helpful if not mistreated / offered food, as opposed to the "killer mimics" that just eat people.

Question is, are they metallivores (metal/mineral eaters), or carnivores? The latter would make more sense, since it allows them to catch adventurers as food. Anyone got a source on what Mimics actually eat, metals or meat/food? Or why they attack, exactly, if not for eating adventurers or plain malice?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:19 am

Looked up two sources, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimic_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29 and http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Mimic .

Depends on how you want to do it. It figured it's not terribly big, and if so, the slightly smaller ones (by 1st edition at least) are more prone to be intelligent, and generally friendly if offered food. As for the food in question, I was thinking that as a chest mimic, it might like to eat treasure and stuff. But if that's completely wrong, Jeraylia would know that in-character as an adventurer, and would offer some bread or rations instead.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:38 am

Horizon swears as the second mimic he's met today snaps at Skitter. He secures his scimitar and produces and Alchemist's Fire, ready to hurl... but hesitates as he sees Jeraylia attempt to speak to it. Intrigued, he waits to see if it responds, while silently moving around to a flanking position. He also makes periodic glances across to the other tunnel, watching for any more surprises.

I was going to just throw it, but let's see how the new kids roll with their first encounter. This should put me along the left hand wall, facing the chest and in view of the tunnel leading right.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:43 am

Well, I know Rust Monsters eat metal and the Gelatinous Cubes eat basically anything but metal and bones, I think mimics just eat meat. Also...topical: http://rustyandco.com/comic/level-1-title/
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:56 am

Nodding at Rolf's request Koras and Zthulan make their way to the tunnel.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:14 pm

Well, I'll assume that mimics eats normal food primarily, but *can* eat metals in an emergency (but it wont like it). Jeraylia offers some food (gotten from the refugees), then, instead of an amulet.

Unless she nat1's it, of course.

Jeraylia

Diplomacy -> 15

Jeraylia's words stop the mimic from assaulting Skitter. It instead turns to face Jeraylia, taking an interest. It starts hopping closer towards her, lid wide open, its intentions unknown.

Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:11 pm

Does Zthulan see anything down the tunnel?
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next