Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MLP:FiM Season Four: Discussion, Speculation, Interpretation, find it all here. [SPOILERS]

+21
Quietkal
Ramsus
Paper Shadow
Caden2112
Whiteeyes
LoganAura
SilentBelle
Zarhon
Jason Shadow
tygerburningbright
Sable Tails
Philadelphus
Cardbo
The Warrior of Many Faces
Xel Unknown
Masterweaver
Lyntermas
RavenscroftRaven
elfowlgirl
A1C Bronymous
AProcrastinatingWriter
25 posters

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

MLP:FiM Season Four: Discussion, Speculation, Interpretation, find it all here. [SPOILERS] - Page 4 Empty Re: MLP:FiM Season Four: Discussion, Speculation, Interpretation, find it all here. [SPOILERS]

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:15 pm

The Magic Duel- AKA teh bestest new favoritest episode ever. Because, holy shit, that was great.

Starting with the Chjinese Antinque shop opening- could be a reference of anything from Indiana Jones to Gremlins, to Chappelle's Show.

Shortly thereafter, Flutterrage makes a brief return. We also get timeline info from Spike's callback to Winter Wrap Up. Continuity.

Horses are from Saudi Arabia, not Europe like I thought. Makes sense, though.

The sheer amount of fanfics given credibility by Trixie's acts and motivation is staggering. Guess we called it. No Twixie though, for those of you who like that. Same goes for her experiences outside of ponyville. I actually thought that was a bit too mean for this show, and could only exist in fanfics, but its good to see they're getting a little harder. And just before she said Rock Farm, I could have sworn she was about to admit to eating Pinecones.

Dash is Sephiroth. Fact. Can't be sure that its a reference, just coincidence, but if it had had accompanying music, I'm pretty sure it would have been amazing. Also, Twilight knows how to summon Parasprites. I see a new Combat talent in the works. Hell, this episode has enough substance for dozens of new talents.

Upon losing the duel, we get to the crux of thh episode, and why it was so good. It was an ACTUAL PROBLEM. No vanilla friendship, working too hard, can't find time to hang out, little girl stuff that we normally see. Twilight was bested and exiled from town, and not allowed to return. Real Shit.

Then there was the Star Wars reference- that makes two by my count in the show. Zecora makes a decent yoda, they both talk weird and live in a heavily wooded area by themselves. I suppose we should have put those together by now anyway. Also, it seems we've been underestimating precisely what Zecora is capable of. I'm rebooting my "Zecora the Nightmare" headcanon.

Fluttershy's suit. Not sure if I liked it because of Stealth, or because of Bunny. But Stealth-Bunny Suit is superior stealth suit now. THat's going to get awkward in the more mature places of the internet, though.

Then coming back to the next duel, upon which Twilight uses a rather contrived version of the "magic of friendship". I figured when they mentioned "the six", that it was the Elements of Harmony- which would have been an interesting bit of overkill given the situation, but if that amulet was so strong, it seemed like the only way to go. Instead, "the six" was a pretty neat shoutout to the Brony concept of the "mane 6", and involved no magic or artifacts whatsoever.

I think one of the best (and probably one of the most fucked up parts) is how much of a turnaround Twilight pulled on Trixie. In Season 1, Trixie was a Stage magician, who basically only had smoke and mirrors stage magic, and she was shown up by Twilight's real, powerful magic. In this episode, Trixie is all about real, EXTRA powerful magic, and Twilight shows her up with Smoke and Mirrors stage magic. Head Fucked, Mind Blown. Trixie can't fucking win.

Twilight is also a fan of rule 63. And she can now break the 4th wall.

Damn that's long^. What a good episode. No sign of Derpy though, other in the opening. Was she always in the Train in the opening, or is that new?

EDIT: don't you ninja my synopsis.

EDIT@: Forgot two things. One, when she tries to magic Dash without the Amulet, she says she should have been "writhing in agony". Torture Spell, pretty heavy for this show. Two, after TMPP, I like how they shut her up all episode, and let Andrea focus on Fluttershy this week.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

MLP:FiM Season Four: Discussion, Speculation, Interpretation, find it all here. [SPOILERS] - Page 4 Empty Re: MLP:FiM Season Four: Discussion, Speculation, Interpretation, find it all here. [SPOILERS]

Post  tygerburningbright Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:02 pm

Zarhon wrote:
Also, that ending explains sooo much. Good thing we don't have racial restrictions anymore!

Spells:

what did the ending explain?

and the spells for the most part they seem to be a few levels above what is normal...
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:24 pm

It is a contender for Favourite Episode, I agree. It even had a musical number, albeit hilariously stymied by the fact Pinkie had no mouth (though she was clearly singing along). I quite liked the turnabout. We all knew Zecora was not a mage but a potion-maker, an alchemist, so her teachings couldn't have been magic per se, but I do like that smoke and mirrors beat Trixie. Just goes to show Wizards' First Rule. (Wizards' First Rule: People are stupid. If someone fears or hopes something to be true, they will act upon it as if it were, regardless of evidence of its impossibility.)

I actually thought Twilight was just doing illusion magics and/or teleportation in tandem until the Reveal. Still works.

Everything about the episode was pretty great. I do enjoy how songbirds are braver than Fluttershy, though her role as a shrinking violet gets a bit overdone in the episode (even if she did excellently as Rainbow Dash).

Which reminds me: I need to now write a clopfic about Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy painted as Rainbow Dash. Twisted Evil

Either way, it was awesome! And the last-second pre-credits was great. I love it.Since Twilight undid it she probably figured out how to cast it. With that kind of power, I'd abuse it sooooo much. "Bamf, no mouth. Bamf, be quiet. Bamf, who needs to breathe?"

EDIT: Thinking back, Lord Sombre was like, the definition of an OC! It makes the episode better as a meta-parody when I think of it: He's considered amazing and powerful and awesome without any justification, he wears weird clothes, His shape is different from the rest of his species for no adequately explored reason, his colour scheme is black, steel, and red... He's the "Red-Maned Black Alicorn Mary Sue" done in a villain style! The lord of bad fanfic! And Cadence killed him! Yay!

Last edited by RavenscroftRaven on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:29 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:
what did the ending explain?

Where this song keeps coming from. They sure like singing behind the scenes!

Speaking of which, have some MST3K style COMMENTARIES for Magic Duel!
COMMENTARIES:
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Nice use of #25, Twilight! Very Happy Also, I so want the ability to summon Parasprites. Taking over the world would be oh so easy if I could do tha... er, um, ahem. Not that I'm planning on taking over the world at any point in time, nosiree. :liarjack:

Anyway, most of the episode was really solid. I liked the shopkeeper, Alicorn being canon, Trixie dragging Pinkie's snout to the Recycling Bin, the magic duel itself, Trixie punishing Snips and Snails specifically, Zecora's apparent ability to use magic without a horn (I really hope somepony explains that later on, though), and how Trixie of all ponies got tricked. I'm not sold on her apologeticness at the end, though. It really came out of nowhere.
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:16 am

You're right! I didn't even notice that! Alecorns are canon!

I also like how Twilight quickly realizes Parasprites are a BAD idea and banishes them as soon as it reproduces once. Her face was great there.

As for Zecora... She's a shaman. I think she does ACTUAL shamanistic "magics". In other words, no magic at all. She is a master of both "smoke and mirrors" type magic and "herbology" type magic. The only magical thing we saw her personally do was refill a tea cup by hiding the top of it, unless standing on one leg is magical. This is why she beat Trixie at the illusionist game: She learned to stay calm(er), how to aim for weak points, how to con her, how to fool the crowd, but not any actual metaphysical "magic".

Twilight didn't go to Archmage Elminster to beat Trixie, she went to Criss Angel.
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:28 am

RavenscroftRaven wrote:As for Zecora... She's a shaman. I think she does ACTUAL shamanistic "magics". In other words, no magic at all. She is a master of both "smoke and mirrors" type magic and "herbology" type magic. The only magical thing we saw her personally do was refill a tea cup by hiding the top of it, unless standing on one leg is magical. This is why she beat Trixie at the illusionist game: She learned to stay calm(er), how to aim for weak points, how to con her, how to fool the crowd, but not any actual metaphysical "magic".

Twilight didn't go to Archmage Elminster to beat Trixie, she went to Criss Angel.

...I'm not sure what you mean by the whole teacup thing. I do agree with your other points, though.
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:43 am

So did anyone else notice that part that seemed like an obvious shout out to The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe? 'cause I was totally expecting Trixie to turn those beavers into stone.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:03 am

Philadelphus wrote:So did anyone else notice that part that seemed like an obvious shout out to The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe? 'cause I was totally expecting Trixie to turn those beavers into stone.

...DERP how did I not notice that? XD
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:20 am

The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:[

...I'm not sure what you mean by the whole teacup thing. I do agree with your other points, though.

9 minutes, 10 seconds. Watch until 9 minutes, 30 seconds. (assuming no commercials but yes starting, Twilight's first scene with Zecora where she keeps spilling Zecora's tea.)
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:35 pm

RavenscroftRaven wrote:You're right! I didn't even notice that! Alecorns are canon!

Weren't alicorns canon since the first episode?
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:23 pm

the name rather than the term winged unicorn used in the website
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:30 pm

I mean in episode 1, season 1, don't they explicitly say that the princess is an alicorn? (Haven't watch the episode in a while so I'm not too sure...)
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:52 pm

No, up until this point, only a few of the writing staff on "behind-the-scenes" things have used the term. It's never been spoken aloud in the show. Celestia HAS, however, been referred to as a unicorn. The term we know and love originated in finding a better word than "pegacorn", which sounds stupid.

Someone suggested old language terms for "wings horn", and got alecorn from it. Then people bastardized it into Alicorn, which ironically, means "horn horn", not wings at all. (Though it also works: They are the mega-unicorn, double-horn-power!)

At least that's what I've come to understand.

But neither A-li nor A-le corns were mentioned in-show up 'til now.
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:18 pm

Hmm, well I guess I was wrong. I guess that just means I haven't rewatched the series enough Razz
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:48 pm

I also liked this episode, though I feel Fluttershy was a bit too quick to rage and a little overly-scared to be in character.

I mean, yeah, it's Fluttershy, but even Fluttershy has limits as to how scared she can get and how overprotective she can be- ones that were already less than what they are here during episode one and that recently she's been working on, mind you; Hurricane Fluttershy and all that.

But don't let that burst of negativity mislead you: I really liked this episode, it's just that everyone else went over the really positive stuff already...I do like that 1) though she forgave Trixie, Twilight had to think about it first (I sense the "alicorn amulet corrupts" was probably the only reason she did), and I ESPECIALLY like that Trixie can be friends and seek to be forgiven without destroying her personality.

Very nice episode.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:57 pm

"The GREAT and APOLOGETIC Trixie!" made me laugh out loud. Smile
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:02 pm

I thought this image was very appropriate to this episode. You may have seen it before, as it was on Equestria Daily, but for those who haven't.

MLP:FiM Season Four: Discussion, Speculation, Interpretation, find it all here. [SPOILERS] - Page 4 70263-The_Great_And_Powerful_TrixieTrixieartistkroliathduelmagic_the_gatheringtwilight_sparkle
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:39 am

I'm preempting the episode here, because I felt I needed to share this.

I was desperately hoping this episode would finally kill your worthless headcanons clear up Scootaloo's home situation. She's having nightmares, and I was sooo certain it would show her waking up in a bed, in a house, and maybe even show a family member, proving she isn't a homeless, hopeless orphan. BUUUUT exclusive spoiler clips ruined that for me. They're having a camping trip. She has them over a camping trip, after hearing ghost stories.

Damn.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:56 am

Bronymous wrote:I'm preempting the episode here, because I felt I needed to share this.

I was desperately hoping this episode would finally kill your worthless headcanons clear up Scootaloo's home situation. She's having nightmares, and I was sooo certain it would show her waking up in a bed, in a house, and maybe even show a family member, proving she isn't a homeless, hopeless orphan. BUUUUT exclusive spoiler clips ruined that for me. They're having a camping trip. She has them over a camping trip, after hearing ghost stories.

Damn.

Okay, at this point they're just teasing us.

And it's kind of hilarious.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:05 pm

Luna is Dream the endless and Rainbow Dash takes Scootaloo under her wing all and all a good episode.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:59 pm

Cringing almost every time I saw Rarity in this episode.

Not because I dislike her at all, just because does the writing team on this episode have any clue as to what her character is actually like?!

I mean all the other stuff fans complain about Rarity-wise I'm willing to write off as her just liking attention and going a bit overboard as of late, but this was...she was oblivious and complaining about the work her sister was doing.

Although unlike most people I actually think making Sweetie Belle pull the cart was actually in character; normally she wouldn't do that but as revenge for the puppy dog eyes/a bargaining chip for being forced to go along camping it certainly seems like an in-character one time thing but the complaining about what Sweetie Belle was doing just

GRAAAARGH

It really says something about the Scootaloo-Rainbow Dash conversation at the end that I was still able to think this episode was pretty good. Because dang that conversation felt like...well, it felt like a real one, you know? Scootaloo seemed like a remorseful and uncertain kid, and Rainbow felt like Rainbow Dash should feel like, confident yet caring, a bit oblivious but once she "gets" a situation she makes the right choice.

Facial expressions were all over the place in strangeness in this episode. Like what even was some of that stuff? Freaky is what it was.

Luna's advice to "face the fears or the nightmares will continue" is oddly apropos and touching, considering who she is. Perhaps some sort of hint into her backstory? Did Sombra showing her her worst fears - rejection by her subjects - signal the beginning of her transformation into, ironically, a monster? And if that is true, does that mean Scootaloo might have turned into a monster too if she hadn't been stopped?! The answer is no. (Also, it sounds like Luna's been taking elocution lessons recently, which makes sense - not like she should be expected to not try and improve her modern syntax, right?)

I also liked that ever since the Slumber Party, Applejack has had plenty of time to think up a lot of "hey, wait a second"s poking holes in the story of the Headless Horse - and that even when Rainbow Dash is telling a story, she can't resist teasing her. And I liked the moment at the end where Rarity's true nature shines through - the race, if it isn't obvious.

So yes, overall I liked the episode. But

But Writing team

Water yoou doin with Rarity
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:56 pm

Sleepless in Ponyville (pt 2)- OMG the Fanfics.

Seriously, this reminded me of so many fanfics I read it might have actually been inspired by them, especially the one where they all try to tell ghost stories. And fail. There were other potential references as well. Anyone catch a Friendship is Witchcraft line thrown in there?

I like how Luna is able to visit other ponies' dreams. Headcanon confirmed, and it completely validates an idea about a story arc I have. SO now, if I ever write it, it has precedent.

Characters seemed a bit off in this episode though. Rarity acted as expected, but to the extreme. Scootaloo's stuff seemed a bit forced at one point, Luna's voice was just weird the whole time, and apparently Sweetie Belle no longer knows how to sing.

LOTS of continuity in again in this episode. When ghost stories came up, I though for sure we were going to have a repeat of Look Before You Sleep. And it almost was, too, what with Rainbow telling The Headless Horse story. Then there was that comedic brushoff of when Rarity almost died tragically.

A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:29 pm

I liked it. It was cute, maybe a bit simplistic, but enjoyable and worked a bit with showing RD's pride issues. Also, headcanon confirmed indeed. Though I was kind of hoping Luna was just watching, and would only appear from the sides, as opposed to "forcing" the issue with Scoots and RD. She was kind of superfluous, but it was a bone tossed to the bronies that like Luna, and I'm fine with that.

Rarity... She is over-competitive, and that fits her character. Maybe the Sisterhooves awakened her to it, though maybe otherwise. She has to be the best, after all, to succeed in her business. The best racer, the best sister, the best tent designer. In that regard, she also has to "best" Sweetie for guilting her, which I think is fine. Just because you're Element of Generosity doesn't mean you need to be a pushover (just as there's a different between loyalty and zealotry, laughter and insanity, kindness and Omni-benevolence, etc). The sweating as well, you notice this is pretty close to when Rarity lets SweetieBot go, and hits Scootaloo with it instead. She finished her punishment on the first day, but the stuff still needed to be carried. It's like when you're packing and realize you've got your workout weights in one bag, and clothes in another, and you take the clothes one because your brother/sister annoyed you earlier.

The animation team is trying new things with the faces, that's fine. Nothing we can do on it anyways, I mean, these things are filmed a year in advance. The Brony Fandom was still younger when these were being storyboarded, but the popular things from other episodes were incorporated, like facial sound effects.

We did get one thing: Scootaloo does not have any siblings. ScootaDash aside, her desire for an older pegasus confirms this. Whether she has parents or not, or if pegasi are communally raised in city growing centres, we have no clue, but if she does have a family, it's a small one.
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:57 pm

On a completely unrelated note, the brief moment of Granny Smith at the beginning was awesome. ^.^ Seriously, how is she so spry? Did Applejack finally get her that new hip?
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next