Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Errata: Changes and fixes to the game (Subscription Recommended)

+31
ZamuelNow
Fury of the Tempest
A1C Bronymous
Z2
Hayatecooper
Jason Shadow
Grey Pen The Flawed
Kindulas
sunbeam
Doc pseudopolis
belze
Whiteeyes
Nehiel Mori
Zarhon
tygerburningbright
thematthew
Paper Shadow
Ramsus
elfowlgirl
Xel Unknown
AProcrastinatingWriter
LoganAura
Appkes
RavenscroftRaven
Videocrazy
SilentBelle
Philadelphus
Stairc -Dan Felder
MirrorImage
Masterweaver
AlicornPriest
35 posters

Page 23 of 30 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 26 ... 30  Next

Go down

Official Errata: Changes and fixes to the game (Subscription Recommended) - Page 23 Empty Re: Official Errata: Changes and fixes to the game (Subscription Recommended)

Post  Ramsus Sun May 19, 2013 6:45 am

Prerequisites are fine. Level requirements are not. Level requirements mean some things are just better than others and you then basically have a setup where people can be making the wrong choices, outside of just not being efficient/having things that combo well together. And that's something you just never want.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Official Errata: Changes and fixes to the game (Subscription Recommended) - Page 23 Empty Re: Official Errata: Changes and fixes to the game (Subscription Recommended)

Post  Paper Shadow Sun May 19, 2013 8:32 am

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Honestly, the main reason we don't incorporate more player-generated content is that reading everyone's posts and providing feedback on them all takes a long time - and we have a hard time just keeping up with balancing the existing game elements (and discussing them afterwards, like we're doing now).
Paper Shadow's Combat Expansion cancelled for being too large. Everyone go home...

I am a bit sad to see Misdirection and Lightning Reflexes getting nerfed, as if I got to play as my Thief character again I'd use a Interrupt/Reaction build, but I understand why they need to be nerfed...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun May 19, 2013 9:08 am

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:I really want to implement an idea we chatted about with earlier (I think it was with fury, but I could be wrong) of having Official Reviewers on the forum.

You remembered correctly.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sun May 19, 2013 9:35 am

My gripes with misdirection, from a DM standpoint, are as follows:

1) It is FAR too easy to trigger, and nearly impossible to avoid triggering without using indirect talents, dazing, or "chip damage multi-strikers" monsters. It works off both utilities and attacks, single-target and multiple-target attacks, so long as they deal damage. "Dealing damage" abilities is pretty much what 99% of monsters are built to do in some manner, so the talent is never a in position where it can't be used.

2) Monsters often have strong attacks to compensate for a optimized party. This ability punishes them for it, especially solo encounters, which always take the damage, and have hugely damaging attacks to compensate their solo status being catapulted back into their faces. They're built to fight players, not themselves.

3) The players, thanks to the magic of interrupts, are in a position of using misdirection to "retcon" an entire AOE attack by killing its user, or have several players use misdirect from the same AOE source of damage (e.g. players 1 and players 2 get hit for 25 damage by an AOE attack, both use misdirection, causing a whopping 50 damage to the monster).

4) Misdirection can waste enemy PiPs with no way for them to avoid it. Enemy finally got 10 pips for that super attack that will devastate the party with 6d6 damage? Nope, misdirection, enemy dead/hurt from OP damage, players avoid damage via retcon magic.

5) A thing people are not taking into consideration are the newly-added pip generating items/moves/abilities. Under the right circumstances (energizing amulet, blood pact, rapid recovery), a character can gain 2-3 pips each round automatically, and then some more via a pip booster. This, coupled with lightning reflexes and a interrupt/reaction of low cost, like misdirection, let you use it 2-3 times per round (prior to the nerf). The main limitation of reactions and interrupts, their cost in PiPs limiting their spamming, is no longer present.

6) The talent in itself is a vastly superior version of "Vengeance is Mine". "Vengeance in Mine" is worthless by comparison - it doesn't prevent damage, it requires you to survive the attack (due to being a reaction), and it does the same a misdirection, but against the attacker exlusively, and mitigated by the amount you actually took after resist and such damage reduction stuff. The only advantage it has over misdirection is its lower PiP cost, which can be bypassed with pip generators and
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun May 19, 2013 9:52 am

Indeed, these pip generators are going to be a big source of problems, IMO
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun May 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Indeed, these pip generators are going to be a big source of problems, IMO

Not hugely. All three of the ones Zarhon mentioned basically require having a combat build where you never want more than about 4 pips stored up. Of course there are plenty of good combos with those but, I don't think they lead to anything absurdly abusive.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun May 19, 2013 2:35 pm

You have both Standard and Minor Actions, I don't think it'll be too hard to keep your PiP count bellow four yet still pull of some insane combo's
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun May 19, 2013 2:41 pm

Good? Sure. Really good? Probably. But, outside of perhaps Misdirect (which I am now seeing the logic in the change of, it's unfortunate that so many things have ended up being absurdly broken when used efficiently and were perfectly fine otherwise), I don't see a ton of supremely game breaking things you'd do. Especially if Lightning Reflexes is getting a pre-req. That style does a good job of preventing you from using higher cost moves with efficiency. (While sure, it might let you do mid-high cost conjurations in combination with the conjuration pip cost reducers... that's quite a bit of investment to be able to pull that off.)
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Sun May 19, 2013 3:20 pm

Also, the guys balance it so that pulling of -3's each turn for three turns is slightly less damage then a -9 nuke. Not enough to make it invalid; just enough to make the -9 nuke worth the time investment. Both ways cost the same number of pips, but your -9 nuke requires you to spend time to build up to it where using a pip gen build and low cost moves doesn't.

Though if we do stumble across a hilarious OP constant Pip gen build I'm sure we will make changes. I am personally running a build that uses Amulet of Adrenaline and the Zerker trait that does the same thing to generate 2pips a turn; while also using summoned weapons.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun May 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Hey, my build does the same!

Honestly, Motion Blur + 2-PiP Generation = 3d8+4 damage, and you can negate at least one attack directed your way per turn. Pretty damn useful, might actually be able to solo-monsters with it...
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue May 21, 2013 7:38 am

[+1] Call of the Herd - Standard Utility
You and up to 8 allies in burst gain 1d10 temporary hit points

I'm assuming this should say something like? :

[+1] Call of the Herd - Standard Utility
You and all adjacent allies gain 1d10 temporary hit points
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue May 21, 2013 7:40 am

Thanks, fixed. It now says "up to 8 allies". No need for the tabletop burst keyword.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue May 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Where It Hurts is for some reason listed as a Free Attack. It should be an Interrupt Utility. Otherwise it doesn't actually function. (Pretty sure we went over this before.)
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Tue May 21, 2013 5:01 pm

Yeah I thought I saw we just fixed that...
Oh, we forgot to fix both docs
updated now
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Sat May 25, 2013 1:06 am

Daredevil's rush can currently use an X of zero of lower. While I'd be perfectly okay with a [0] DDRush whose sole purpose is to daze you (and active drunken master stuff), I think the negative versions technically make you take -Xd8 damage, which is arguably healing you for 5d8. It costs 5 pips, admittedly, but I don't think this was part of the intended use of the talent.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat May 25, 2013 1:10 am

X can never be negative.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Sat May 25, 2013 1:14 am

Ah. So the zero version is valid?
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat May 25, 2013 1:17 am

Sure.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sat May 25, 2013 3:56 pm

Flying Ace still references Athletics and Acrobatics specifically as opposed to mentioning skill checks used to fly.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat May 25, 2013 4:07 pm

Thanks. Fixed to correspond to the other phrasing.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Sat May 25, 2013 4:09 pm

That SHOULD be intentional: sheer mastery of aerial maneuvers also implies that reflexes, fast dropping, and wing assisted lifting/punching would be improved to the point that rolling twice on acrobatics and athletics checks while flying is the intent, rather than charging 4 utility talents to reach, "Go from point A to point B with very little chance of failure."
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat May 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Since all the other flight talents reference precision and brawn, flying ace now references 'precision and brawn checks made to fly' instead of, 'athletics and acrobatics checks made to fly'.

Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Sat May 25, 2013 4:15 pm

Right, yes, I just checked. I thought it was a matter of changing it from 'Athletics and Acrobatics while flying' to 'Checks made to fly' not just expanding it to Precision and Brawn...
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat May 25, 2013 4:18 pm

Yes, focusing on checks 'made to fly' is far better - otherwise people just hover while trying to pick locks and anyone that wants to maximize their physical skill checks needs to take the flying path to explore their full potential. Changing the phrasing to 'checks made to fly' lets the talent simply be focused on flying well and allowed us to reduce the prereqs for awesome flight. We did this a while ago.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Sat May 25, 2013 4:25 pm

I remember you doing that. At the time, I perceived that the flight cost reduction was because of changing Flying Ace from '+5' and 'Precision and Brawn' to 'roll twice' and 'Athletics and Acrobatics'... Hence why I assumed the phrasing Zam noted to be intentional.

But 'Precision and Brawn checks made to fly' is still sufficiently useful.
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 30 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 26 ... 30  Next