Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Open World Roleplay - MMO Style RP

+10
LoganAura
thematthew
Dusk Raven
SilentBelle
Caden2112
Zarhon
Ramsus
A1C Bronymous
Stairc -Dan Felder
Greywander
14 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Open World Roleplay - MMO Style RP - Page 2 Empty Re: Open World Roleplay - MMO Style RP

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:27 pm

LoganAura wrote:If one DM believes for example that the God King of ice is benevolent, and another believes they're a Dictator, those sorts of things would need to be fleshed out prior to the game starting.

You know, you could just say Celestia, we all know that's what you're talking about.

Players, generally speaking, don't necessarily need to fully accept or know the details of the headcanon before accepting, though it helps if they know what they're getting in to. Converging or consolidating varying headcanons isn't necessarily the smoothest either. The single Head DM making all of those decisions and the secondary DMs working within that would probably work better, and if any unforeseen headcanon disputes or questions come up during gameplay, relaying directly to HDM and getting a straight, uncontested answer will be much faster than all DMs getting together to discuss every time a single player in a single group asks for relevant backstory of some shady high profile NPC.

Then again, that requires a complete sacrifice of headcanon input, except when asked for it, on the parts of the Minor DMs, which may not be as fun, or might slow games down even more when there are a LOT of those questions.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Open World Roleplay - MMO Style RP - Page 2 Empty Re: Open World Roleplay - MMO Style RP

Post  Paper Shadow Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:44 pm

Alternatively, the storyline is that X amount of dimensions are, for some reason, colliding together to make one super-dimension, causing reality to shift and change in front of the inhabitants eyes...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:47 pm

Bronymous wrote:
LoganAura wrote:If one DM believes for example that the God King of ice is benevolent, and another believes they're a Dictator, those sorts of things would need to be fleshed out prior to the game starting.

You know, you could just say Celestia, we all know that's what you're talking about.

Actually I wasn't. I was mostly considering the god king alicorns in my own campaign there, where one party member thinks that they're dicks and another is all right with them.

Essentially, my point is that If the dming is a collaborative effort, it should be a collaborative effort. They should agree on what's canon.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:33 pm

LoganAura wrote:
Bronymous wrote:

Actually I wasn't. I was mostly considering the god king alicorns in my own campaign there, where one party member thinks that they're dicks and another is all right with them.

Essentially, my point is that If the dming is a collaborative effort, it should be a collaborative effort. They should agree on what's canon.

Yes, agreeing is a good idea. We should decide what the starting point should be. I'd consider saying everything up to S3 would be canon as a base point and then the world could be explored from there. But if more people want a completely unique world, well I suppose we could do that.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:03 pm

I think a unique one is better since this means we don't have to deal with people's various perceptions of the show characters and such clashing.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:46 pm

Ramsus wrote:I think a unique one is better since this means we don't have to deal with people's various perceptions of the show characters and such clashing.

But then, that's a lot of world-building that we'd have to do that we could avoid if we used the existing canon material...

That said, as long as we can come to agree on the choice then we can get to work on it. Either choice has it's benefits.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:53 pm

From personal experience, it's sometimes actually less work to make a fresh new setting than check that everyone is on the same page about all the details of an existing one and then resolve conflicts of perception, modify things to work for what will be done with the game, and modify it further to incorporate player ideas.

I have some ideas for how to go about things for the world of darkness type setting (mostly being that we shouldn't just steal the setting and should just take some concepts) but, we sorta need others to weigh in for what they'd like in a setting/respond to others' ideas.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:47 pm

It can also be an entertaining endeavor to take part in the shared worldbuilding of a completely new world, free of preconceptions and other parts of the initial headcannon.

In the end, by making your own world you make something unique and interesting that you actually understand in depth and never to approach some knee-jerk answer reflex to the canon changing underneath you, even if you borrow ideas from other worlds (Did someone just say MLP: the Masquerade? I'd be down.)

I suppose what I'm saying is: Equestria = bad choice, Equestria with all the serial numbers filed off and an understanding that you aren't in MLP:FiM = good choice.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:10 am

So long as we can make it appealing to enough people then it's good. I just imagine that any newer people might end up on the forums and seeing a game that's set in Equestria might make them more comfortable; however a well-thought-out world should hold enough of a tangent to the show to allow those newcomers to feel engaged while being a separate entity from canon.

It would be neat to have a world map that slowly gets more detailed as time goes on. And if everyone's up to world-building a brand new world, then why not? Smile
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:24 am

Personally, I'm completely in on this idea. If we can hash out what kind of world we want to build, I'm ready to start building. I have some ideas for some maps already swimming in my head, depending on if we wanted a pangeic, Terran, or more archipelago-style (now I want to make a Pirates of Dark Water style world...) setting. So if we can drum up some interest and some ideas of what people want, we can start building something.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:34 am

As for settings, I actually wouldn't mind Equestria as it is, but as for non-show settings... I've always rather liked the Solar Empire versus Lunar Republic concept (although to avoid certain issues like why the sisters would fight in the first place, I'd probably have it such that the sisters are dead and both factions fight on more or less pointlessly in their names, possibly segueing into a Fallout: Equestria or Metro 2033 type world). Or at least, I personally like settings with some tangential connection to the show's events.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:52 am

Just got off the phone with thematthew and we had an interesting conversation about this where we posited a steampunk world of darkness style archipelagos world. Even discussed how people would be various things like vampires, were-creatures, and mages and figured it could probably be done with a little fudging the rules/creativity on racial traits and such. Well ok, obviously mages would just be unicorns. If you wanted to go with mages being a not known to the public thing, unicorn horns could just be invisible to normal ponies or something.

Dusk Raven, are those concepts based on fanfiction or something or just general concepts? Because we could certainly attempt to blend the concepts mentioned in the previous paragraph with a setting with a Solar and Lunar empire. Even better if the princesses are long gone. Obviously we wouldn't be going for a post apocalyptic style with the archipelago idea though.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:34 am

Well, if we'll be needing players, who is interested in playing, so far?

Personally, I'm not that interested in PbPs for the time being (already in two, both a player and a DM), but would love to play in a Skype game of this scale, and am rather flexible on settings, so almost anything goes for me.

Speaking of which, I believe this kind of "MMO" approach allows for stories such as this one. Razz

And settings wise - How does this sound as a setting - A reality in which both the human world (ours), as well as the Equestrian World exist, separated completely and totally, but the psychology of both worlds inhabitants come together to fuel a 3rd, special world, which both can then enter - A world that is something like a dreamscape or amalgamation of two different dimensions, one realistic, bitter, gritty, the other magical, optimistic, whimsy, and the global "mood" of the worlds that fuel it, or the individuals that enter it, can actively change it.

- LL characters would play either in real world (where events are being affected by dreamscape invaders, and events of real world inhabitants shape the dreamscape), or enter the dreamscape (where the pony/real world clash, and may spill out)
- Pony characters play in Equestria, or enter the dreamscape
- LL and Pony characters cannot enter or directly influence the worlds they don't belong in - only indirectly, through the dreamscape (no having humans supply technology to Equestria, for example, but they can force a dreamscape monster to enter it).
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:21 am

Eh... doesn't really feel that appealing to me. I like both pony and humanoid settings but, I don't really find a lot of interest in mixing them personally.

Edit: That story was hilarious.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:32 am

Ramsus wrote:Eh... doesn't really feel that appealing to me. I like both pony and humanoid settings but, I don't really find a lot of interest in mixing them personally.

Edit: That story was hilarious.

And what if its just the "dreamscape" and pony? As in, psychology, emotions or similar feelings shape a world of its own?

Also have another story. And then another.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:44 am

That sounds like a difficult setting for all the GMs and players and for interactions with each other/the world to be meaningful. Also it might get a bit surreal.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:14 am

Ramsus wrote:Just got off the phone with thematthew and we had an interesting conversation about this where we posited a steampunk world of darkness style archipelagos world. Even discussed how people would be various things like vampires, were-creatures, and mages and figured it could probably be done with a little fudging the rules/creativity on racial traits and such. Well ok, obviously mages would just be unicorns. If you wanted to go with mages being a not known to the public thing, unicorn horns could just be invisible to normal ponies or something.

Dusk Raven, are those concepts based on fanfiction or something or just general concepts? Because we could certainly attempt to blend the concepts mentioned in the previous paragraph with a setting with a Solar and Lunar empire. Even better if the princesses are long gone. Obviously we wouldn't be going for a post apocalyptic style with the archipelago idea though.

Well, the Solar Empire and Lunar Republic just seem to be general fandom memes. It boils down to a "light versus darknesss" thing... which could certainly become interesting when meshed with WoD, even if I don't care about WoD much personally... despite liking werewolves and vampires and such... maybe I just like making my own versions of therianthropes (theriequines?) and such.

As a result I'll doubtless be wanting to create my own creatures for the setting...
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:53 pm

Ramsus wrote:Just got off the phone with thematthew and we had an interesting conversation about this where we posited a steampunk world of darkness style archipelagos world. Even discussed how people would be various things like vampires, were-creatures, and mages and figured it could probably be done with a little fudging the rules/creativity on racial traits and such. Well ok, obviously mages would just be unicorns. If you wanted to go with mages being a not known to the public thing, unicorn horns could just be invisible to normal ponies or something.

Steampunk huh? So a bunch of contraptionology and stuff? That would be cool and would also kind of give us a good starting point for the world's technology level.

I don't know if there should be a whole Lunar Republic / Solar Empire thing going on. It would work well for one of the DM's groups for sure, but not for an overall theme of the world. I mean the event will cause some sort of fall-out for the other games being played in terms of rummors and back-ground history.

As some food for though, we should probably make a public google.doc (or multiple, maybe an 'events' doc, a 'Recorded Monsters and Races and Their Respective Locales' doc, and a general 'World' doc) and give out editing power to those we trust to work on it (probably the respective DMs)(don't delete other people's stuff). If we think that's too risky, then we can have one head-person leading the doc and doing all the writing, though that places a lot of burden on one person.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:01 pm

Hmm, how about we take the "Arcanum" approach for a setting?

Technology rises up in the world of Equestria thanks to the discovery of a unique, but fairly abundant fuel source Umbralyte, dug out from the the icy glaciers surrounding the Crystal Kingdom, and brings with it its advancements in the form of steampunk-like technologies - steam engines, guns, electricity, telephone, radio, energy weapons and very basic computers... but in turn, this technology creates a conflict with magic, as the fuel source, in great amounts, causes nearby magic to be disrupted or not work at all, and is unpleasant to those who are naturally magical. Likewise, a high concentration of magic corrupts the fuel itself, which causes the Umbralyte to "burn itself out" erratically and often damages the thing it fuels.

This causes a split between the natural magic-using Unicorns, and the technology-advancing Earth Ponies, with the Pegasi split in the middle, utilizing both magic and technology in small amounts, and using both to allow the "grounded" races to have full access to their cloud cities.

Equestria is thus divided into four sectors:
- One that is technological, and is full of steampunk stuff powered by Umbralyte. The Earth Ponies built these sectors with their bare hooves, and inhabit them mostly.
- One that is magical, and houses magical artifacts and such. The Unicorns live in these, due to the magic-disrupting technology causing a major hassle in their daily lives.
- The cloud cities and floating islands, constructed by the Pegasi with collaboration of the Unicorns and Earth Ponies. Pegasi and other winged races use these as their homes exclusively, but the cities are frequented for employment, business, politics or recreation by all races, and serve as a natural "neutral ground". They are no longer the only ones capable of doing weathercrafting - both the Unicorns and Earth Ponies advanced enough to provide their own, but the Pegasi are still the undisputed champions in the art.
- The Crystal Kingdom and surrounding Icy Wastes - This is the main (and currently, only) source of the miracle fuel source that powers the Earth Pony technology. The Crystal Ponies are unique, in that their proximity to Umbralyte causes the fuel sources to go completely inert and gradually deplete itself, but with no other side-effect to them or others. As such, they have no use of it, but being the owners of the surrounding lands, have started selectively offer mining and extracting rights to all races, holding monopoly over it. This caused them to become a political hot-spot, and coupled with their beautiful city, a vacation/relaxation spot for all races.

This setting can have thus as plot details or hooks:
- The nature/origin of Umbralyte
- Magic and technology, in regards to Harmony, and the Elements of Harmony
- The effects of the technology advancement on nature, or the "all magical" natural areas, such as the Everfree Forest
- Political turmoil between Earth Ponies and Unicorns
- The effects of technology and magic clashing, or pollution, on the cloud cities, Pegasi, and their weather-crafting abilities.
- Umbralyte may have unseen or unnoticed side-effects...
- Effects on non-sapient creatures, or monsters affected by a clash of technology, magic, and Umbralyte
- Political and other effects on the non-pony races, who also want as slice of the technological cake that Umbralyte provides: Griffons, Diamond Dogs, Dragons, Minotaurs...
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:45 pm

Personally, while I love steampunk and Arcana, I don't like the magic + technology = oil + water approach in a cooperative roleplaying game. It either limits party building (alright guys, I'm a wizard, so no guns!), screws with the party dynamic (I SAID NO GUNS!), or it loses it's edge when you aren't in the mystical/steampunk castle of awesome (Hey, I thought you couldn't cast spells around my wicked awesome steampunk powersuit? Nah, I'm good.)

I do like the idea of a Earth Pony industrial revolution, with clockwork automatons and dirigibles, that the Unicorns are against while the Pegasi just sit back and enjoy the show. It makes for a solid political dynamic, as the Earth Ponies now have something that makes them even with the others aside from hard work and stubbornness.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:04 pm

@Zarhon: So you don't favor archipelagos? It's a pretty useful thing for a setup like this since it means if the GMs come up with something new they always have somewhere from it to come from that explains why nobody ever heard of it before. It also allows easy separation of the games when the GMs want.

Well, I personally was never a huge proponent of the whole magic and technology don't mix thing. It'd also cause a lot of problems if characters travel around. And it'd make a mess of party dynamics. You would end up without mechanics or without mages in some groups because they start out in some section of the world.

Still, the concept of one place remaining a sort of Switzerland because they have a majority access to the fuel source for a lot of technology would be good. Alternately (or perhaps additionally) you could have a place where they have such a fuel source (not the major one for the world though) but, the remnants of the crystal empire can use their magic with it because it matches the kind of energy of the fuel source or something. So while it might not be everywhere there could be the occasional pieces of technology that interfere with others' magic, you could run games or sessions that take place there that'd cause non-crystalpony mages problems, and it'd give a good reason still for why the two empires or other places don't attack them since they'd have to fight mages without their mages of their own.

@Belle: Fallout and rumors from one game effecting the others was exactly the idea wasn't it?

Also, it would be an option for those empires to not cover our entire world. Especially in an archipelago setup they could each control just large clusters of islands. Still probably large enough to impact things going on in other games a bit but, maybe not a huge amount if the other groups are far enough away. (Though it'd probably still be noticeable in rumors and political stuff with things like zeppelins and smaller one or two man flightcraft.)

Hmmm, had an idea. If we go with the archipelago setup but are saying it's still based upon Equestria in its roots we need an explanation of why the world is mostly water and places aren't necessarily near each other. Thankfully the show provided us with an easy explanation for this. Freeing Discord backfired. Also might help us explain why the princesses are no longer around and why we have things like vampires, lycanthropes, and other horrors of the night.

@Dusk Raven: Worry not, I too would not want to just copy paste world of darkness specific details over. It'd be more fun if we came up with new creatures and houses of vampires and stuff that work with our setting. I mean c'mon, pony were-spiders, why would we not do this? Also it'd be real interesting to see things show up that are problematic monsters to Changelings too. As I figure if we include Changeling hives, which I can't imagine we wouldn't since people love playing as them, they would probably still not be right next door to the empires or such and might have their own problems. So we could see hives ranging from all over the pony-friendly/you're food&/or slaves scale.

Edit: Got ninja'd my Matthew agreeing with me, lol.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Alright, started a notes doc to collect and filter world ideas. Just about everything already posted in here is there, and anybody can comment right now.

BEHOLD!
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:20 pm

When it comes to random ideas... Personally I'd LOVE to have Normal Cannon Ponies fighting the Evil Pony Nazis (IE: Cannon-ish!Ponies vs. Conversion Bureau!Ponies.) But that's just me... I'm also only half sure how this thing would work...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:42 pm

thematthew wrote:Personally, while I love steampunk and Arcana, I don't like the magic + technology = oil + water approach in a cooperative roleplaying game. It either limits party building (alright guys, I'm a wizard, so no guns!), screws with the party dynamic (I SAID NO GUNS!), or it loses it's edge when you aren't in the mystical/steampunk castle of awesome (Hey, I thought you couldn't cast spells around my wicked awesome steampunk powersuit? Nah, I'm good.)

I do like the idea of a Earth Pony industrial revolution, with clockwork automatons and dirigibles, that the Unicorns are against while the Pegasi just sit back and enjoy the show. It makes for a solid political dynamic, as the Earth Ponies now have something that makes them even with the others aside from hard work and stubbornness.

I'm a fan of magitech myself, maybe there's one area where they decide to pursue the mixture of technology and magic (a more harmonious area?). While elsewhere there's a whole Magic vs Technology dynamic between the unicorns and earthponies.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:43 pm

That actually sounds like it would work.
Edit: If you look in the document, Ramsus has a proposition posted which I think is a good way to propose an actual game world.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next