Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+33
Inferno1114
Antiquated
Lifeforce
Colter Bolt
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Doc pseudopolis
Grey Pen The Flawed
Hayatecooper
Z2
Caden2112
Pingcode
Kindulas
Quietkal
Nehiel Mori
Videocrazy
Zarhon
tygerburningbright
ZamuelNow
Azureink
Demonu
sunbeam
LoganAura
thematthew
Curunir
Philadelphus
Fury of the Tempest
A1C Bronymous
Paper Shadow
SilentBelle
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Stairc -Dan Felder
37 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 12 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:06 pm

combat talent wrote:[-2] Vengeance is Mine – Reaction Attack
Trigger – An enemy deals damage to you
Effect - Deal an equal amount of damage to the triggering enemy
Damage = HP lost after an attack, right? So does that mean Vulerbity would incress the damage done to the enemy from using this attack?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 12 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:07 pm

Damage equals HP loss, including temporary HP. So you are correct. Vuln does increase the damage of Vengeance is mine. Put vuln on yourself *and* the enemy for added fun.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:31 pm

Yeeees... Berserker Rage, Vengeance Is Mine, and Adrenaline Rush... Mwahahaha.
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:30 pm

Why does it seem to me that this system is slowly becoming the pony version of D&D?
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Wasn't it originally based off of D&D?
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:44 pm

Does Adrenaline Rush's trigger count as a different trigger from more normal interrupts like vengeance is mine?

[0] Adrenaline Rush - Immediate Reaction
Trigger - An enemy deals X or more damage to you with an attack, where X equals 1/5th of your starting health.
Effect - Flip a coin. If heads, you gain a PiP.

[-2] Vengeance is Mine – Reaction Attack
Trigger – An enemy deals damage to you
Effect - Deal an equal amount of damage to the triggering enemy

EDIT: New question! If Fireborn makes you immune to heat lower than an adult red Dragon's breath, then what happens if you run into heat higher than that? Does the scale of sensing the fire start at "nice and warm" or "OH GOD MY FACE IS MELTING." Basically, do you still have resistance to even hotter fires, or would you be directly subjected to the full brunt of vaporizing heat?
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:50 pm

When a talent or trait or whatever says that a creature can't be targeted by attacks, does that mean it can be hit if it is adjacent to the primary target (like fireball)? What about attacks that hit all enemies, does it get hit by that? What about talents that hit random targets? I'm already assuming that it can't be targeted by mutli-target stuff, but can be targeted by utilities...

Also, are the answers to the above question the same when the texts reads that the creature cannot be attacked, as opposed to being unable to be targeted by attacks?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:47 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:Why does it seem to me that this system is slowly becoming the pony version of D&D?

Likely because we loved Pony Tales' mechanics so much that we decided to make a flavor-neutral version of the rules that any game could use - whether ponies, star wars, high fantasy or anything else (and all those genres plus a lot more have already had adventures run in the system).

So our system isn't becoming more like D&D fantasy.

D&D fantasy is becoming more like our system. We just call 'elements', 'virtues' instead and change their names from 'kindness' to 'compassion' and similar - so the players don't realize they're working for Celestia.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:44 pm

... I can not find a coherent way to respond to that statement other than saying that is did not actually answer my question.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:57 pm

Unless you desire me to read your mind and tell you why you feel a certain way, I fear you shall forever remain unfulfilled then.

But for anyone else, that's why there's a lot of stuff you'd see more in other settings like D&D now (such as the archlich destiny). Though considering that Hasbro owns both MLP and D&D, as well as the fact many classic high fantasy monsters have been shown in MLP - it's actually a surprisingly easy adjustment.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:20 am

In a way, some of the consolidation of material for Living Legends and Pony Tales may be contributing to the feeling. While flavor can be changed around, the base flavor does affect things. There's probably a number of other subtle things skewing the perspectives, such as having an archlich destiny yet not having one for several character types actually on the show.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:23 am

ZamuelNow wrote:In a way, some of the consolidation of material for Living Legends and Pony Tales may be contributing to the feeling. While flavor can be changed around, the base flavor does affect things. There's probably a number of other subtle things skewing the perspectives, such as having an archlich destiny yet not having one for several character types actually on the show.

Well, it's not always a pony game... Fusion could have an Archlich easily, and even then Nightmare Moon could be Luna taking an Archlich destiny, flavored as the nightmare.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:25 am

ZamuelNow wrote:In a way, some of the consolidation of material for Living Legends and Pony Tales may be contributing to the feeling. While flavor can be changed around, the base flavor does affect things. There's probably a number of other subtle things skewing the perspectives, such as having an archlich destiny yet not having one for several character types actually on the show.

That's precisely what I'm referring to.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:45 pm

Paper Shadow wrote:When a talent or trait or whatever says that a creature can't be targeted by attacks, does that mean it can be hit if it is adjacent to the primary target (like fireball)? What about attacks that hit all enemies, does it get hit by that? What about talents that hit random targets? I'm already assuming that it can't be targeted by mutli-target stuff, but can be targeted by utilities...

Also, are the answers to the above question the same when the texts reads that the creature cannot be attacked, as opposed to being unable to be targeted by attacks?
Reposting this, and also adding a new question...

When you have Die Another Day, and you have -6 HP (so you are sill concious), if you get healed for 10 HP, do you end up with 6 HP, or 10 HP (as being healed under 0 HP immediately brings you up to 0 HP)?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:40 pm

Don't know if this has been asked before but:

If you roll a nat1 on a skill check, can you use your magic point, activate your Element of Magic and use Awesomeness to reroll that skill check? Or did you miss the timing by then?
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:54 pm

The traits Dangerously Talented and Back Stab can be taken multiple times so what is the stance of the Training Certificate item on these, is each instance treated as a different trait for the purposes of taking multiple Certificates or is it only possible to take one instance of these using Training Certificates?

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:11 pm

Outside of combat, how exactly is "ally" defined, for purposes of, say, Element of Loyalty? Is it one-way or reciprocal? For example, can I point at a random NPC (even if they were not overtly friendly), proclaim them to be my ally, then use Loyalty on them? Or would it require the target to reciprocally consider me to be an ally?
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:54 pm

Initiative buffs and penalties... Do they stack or do we take the highest?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:04 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:Initiative buffs and penalties... Do they stack or do we take the highest?
They stack, I've asked this question before.
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Doc pseudopolis wrote:The traits Dangerously Talented and Back Stab can be taken multiple times so what is the stance of the Training Certificate item on these, is each instance treated as a different trait for the purposes of taking multiple Certificates or is it only possible to take one instance of these using Training Certificates?

You can take Training Cert in Backstab only once. However, you could take it in Backstab and Sneak Attack.

The same applies for Dangerously Talented but sadly there is no clever way to somewhat get around it like you can with Backstab+Sneak Attack.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:31 pm

Demonu wrote:Don't know if this has been asked before but:

If you roll a nat1 on a skill check, can you use your magic point, activate your Element of Magic and use Awesomeness to reroll that skill check? Or did you miss the timing by then?

You can as far as I am aware.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:34 pm

Paper Shadow wrote:
Paper Shadow wrote:When a talent or trait or whatever says that a creature can't be targeted by attacks, does that mean it can be hit if it is adjacent to the primary target (like fireball)? What about attacks that hit all enemies, does it get hit by that? What about talents that hit random targets? I'm already assuming that it can't be targeted by mutli-target stuff, but can be targeted by utilities...

Reposting this, and also adding a new question...

When you have Die Another Day, and you have -6 HP (so you are sill concious), if you get healed for 10 HP, do you end up with 6 HP, or 10 HP (as being healed under 0 HP immediately brings you up to 0 HP)?

When something says it can't be targeted by an attack it can still be hit by attacks that strike all enemies or creatures adjacent to the creature. However, if cannot be hit by random targeting.

And yes, the rulings are the same as far as I am aware.

As for Die Another Day: Besides being a decent Bond film you indeed get healed to 10 hp.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:26 pm

Does rolling an 8 on Grab For Power trigger your special? I ask since you're rolling to lose something as opposed to attacking. I guess the question would apply to any similar examples.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:35 pm

ZamuelNow wrote:Does rolling an 8 on Grab For Power trigger your special? I ask since you're rolling to lose something as opposed to attacking. I guess the question would apply to any similar examples.

If it's a d8, d10 and d12 you roll in combat - you get to trigger your special on the maximum number. You can crit on healing and anything else too.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:36 pm

Yes, it does work, It doesn't matter if you are attacking with your dice or not. If you roll in combat a d8, d10, or d12 and get it's max, that triggers your special. xD
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next