Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+33
Inferno1114
Antiquated
Lifeforce
Colter Bolt
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Doc pseudopolis
Grey Pen The Flawed
Hayatecooper
Z2
Caden2112
Pingcode
Kindulas
Quietkal
Nehiel Mori
Videocrazy
Zarhon
tygerburningbright
ZamuelNow
Azureink
Demonu
sunbeam
LoganAura
thematthew
Curunir
Philadelphus
Fury of the Tempest
A1C Bronymous
Paper Shadow
SilentBelle
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Stairc -Dan Felder
37 posters

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 19 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  sunbeam Wed May 22, 2013 1:10 am

If you have motion blur (2 minor actions), and you use Caltrops, will the effects stack, so enemies now take 2d4 damage for attacking you?

I know you can't deny yourself saving throws, but can you deny yourself bonuses to saving throws? either to keep regen 2 (save ends), or to keep powering Blind-Fighting?

Does Lash Out count as an extra attack for the purpose of damage bonuses (expert Duelist, etc.)?
[-2] Lash Out - Reaction Utility
Trigger - You damage a creature with an attack that targets only one creature.
Effect - Pay 4 life. If you do, deal 6 additional damage to that creature.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 19 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Philadelphus Wed May 22, 2013 4:44 am

sunbeam wrote:If you have motion blur (2 minor actions), and you use Caltrops, will the effects stack, so enemies now take 2d4 damage for attacking you?
If I remember right, I asked this before and the answer was 'no.' I believe the general rule is that it only stacks with itself if it explicitly says it does.

Also I'm rather excited by the talk about potentially adding skill improvement to the level up process, but I don't want to gum up this thread with my comments. So a simple question: would one of the developers perhaps like to start an official thread to discuss the idea?
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed May 22, 2013 5:15 am

Thread created! It's in the general game development forum.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu May 23, 2013 2:49 pm

Meta-Question: Dan, there's a backlog of unanswered question you know?
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu May 23, 2013 2:50 pm

Yep. Busy as Celestia on the Summer Solstice.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri May 24, 2013 9:04 pm

A question about Barter in Blood...

[-1] Barter in Blood - Minor Utility
Target creature is subjected to your “Bloody Contract” (save ends). While the creature is subjected to your “Bloody Contract”, it suffers 1d6 damage whenever you are dealt damage.

What does "you are dealt damage" part entail? Does it include:
1) Ongoing damage (from an enemy, or self-inflicted, like with blood slash)
2) Damage caused to you by an ability you used (e.g. Supercharge, Blood Pact, Blood Slash, Into The Fray, any of the "pay X" talents)...
3) Any damage effects that are negated by resist (e.g. 3 dmg against 5 resist) or temporary hp.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri May 24, 2013 9:18 pm

I'm pretty sure damage negated by resist doesn't count as "taking damage" but, Dan has said that losing temp HP does count for that. I'd think both 1 & 2 would count.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Fri May 24, 2013 10:09 pm

Can Knight's Presence's d12 stack with repeated activations on a single ally? So if I had one ally, and I activated this crit twice, could I make them take 1/4 damage for the rest of the battle?

Knight’s Presence
12: Halve all damage target ally takes for the rest of the battle.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri May 24, 2013 10:41 pm

sunbeam wrote:Can Knight's Presence's d12 stack with repeated activations on a single ally? So if I had one ally, and I activated this crit twice, could I make them take 1/4 damage for the rest of the battle?

Knight’s Presence
12: Halve all damage target ally takes for the rest of the battle.

Dan answered that one for me: If I recall correctly, they don't stack, and you can't use it on yourself, meaning it can't/doesn't do anything after you use it on all your allies.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Sat May 25, 2013 1:18 am

Do you get pips from [+] moves before or after their effect resolves.
Example:
I have 4 pips and open the fight with a [+5] DDRush. I roll really "well" and deal 30+ damage to myself, knocking myself out. Do I have the 6 pips to activate Never Stay Down, or do I not get them until I survive the DDRush?
EDIT: Followup. Does armor that grants resist against single-target attacks grant resist against self damage?
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Sat May 25, 2013 1:25 am

Pip gain or payment happens first, then the effect of the talent.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sun May 26, 2013 6:56 pm

Question: How does stuff that last "until the end of your next turn" work with indefinitely delaying your turn?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun May 26, 2013 7:03 pm

... It wouldn't run out, but indefinitely delaying your turn?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun May 26, 2013 7:04 pm

You can't delay your turn precisely, you can merely delay your actions. So you still get whacked by save-ends effects, ongoing damage and similar - you just don't get to act until later.

We just say "delaying my turn" because you have to delay all your actions at once - which will later move you in the initiative order. However, neglecting to act doesn't stop lava from burning you while you're swimming in it.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sun May 26, 2013 7:07 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:You can't delay your turn precisely, you can merely delay your actions. So you still get whacked by save-ends effects, ongoing damage and similar - you just don't get to act until later.
Oh, okay. So if you do delay your actions, and actually use them before your turn comes up again, does your turn stay where it is, or does it move to where you do these new actions once you do them?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun May 26, 2013 7:18 pm

You can ready actions for specific events, which doesn't delay your turn - because you're basically bracing for some specific thing. Like, "If he attacks me, I'll use this move on him". It has to be very specific and it happens like a pre-set reaction. However if you're effectively just waiting and seeing before you next act, then you will move down in the initiative order when you next act - because this is your new reaction time.

It's the difference between being in a batting stance waiting to swing at a baseball the pitcher is about to throw (readied action) and hanging out for a while, then noticing there's a baseball whistling at your head.

Of course, with a readied action, if the trigger you set doesn't happen (no baseball is thrown at you) then you'll have wasted your action.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun May 26, 2013 7:33 pm

There's also not a whole lot of reason to do a readied action in the Skype version.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun May 26, 2013 7:36 pm

Readied actions aren't meant to be used often in either version, they're just there so no one is ever in a completely useless position in combat (without some sort of effect making them so). However, they do have some great tactical value in certain situations - for example readying to drop a heal on an ally if they get hurt (if you want to use a healing power and everyone's already at full health).
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sun May 26, 2013 7:40 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Readied actions aren't meant to be used often in either version, they're just there so no one is ever in a completely useless position in combat (without some sort of effect making them so). However, they do have some great tactical value in certain situations - for example readying to drop a heal on an ally if they get hurt (if you want to use a healing power and everyone's already at full health).
Or readying Despair until someone uses something like Hellfire Rain and whatnot...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun May 26, 2013 7:45 pm

Am I the only one that thinks of the Order of the Stick when someone says 'readied action'?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun May 26, 2013 7:55 pm

Probably not? I know myself I was playing RPGs way before I even heard of that comic though, so the term was already one I was familiar with.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Mon May 27, 2013 12:30 am

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Am I the only one that thinks of the Order of the Stick when someone says 'readied action'?

I actually think of the fanfiction 'Harry Potter and the Natural 20' because many simultaneously hilarious and dramatic moments occur when the character 'Milo' readies a particularly stupid action... But the term itself is an actual mechanic in some tabletop games.
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon May 27, 2013 11:52 am

combat talents wrote:[-1] Haunting Melody - Standard Attack
Roll a d10. Based on the roll, target creature suffers the following.
1-4 The target suffers 4 ongoing damage (save ends).
5-7 The target is dazed (save ends).
8-9 the target suffers vulnerability 2 (save ends).
10 the target is stunned (save ends).
I just noticed, that because of the fact that in the skype system, dazing deals 2 vul, does using this talent on an enemy with dazing do anything? And if not, shouldn't it then the vul save ends effect be upgraded to vul 3 or something?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon May 27, 2013 11:29 pm

A weird thought came to me. Can the Element of Honesty be used in tandem with Unreliable Narrator? In other words, burning a Magic Point to remove the unreliability for a few questions. Probably a waste but seems like an interesting use of it.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Tue May 28, 2013 5:35 pm

Here's a weird question. If I'm dominating someone, do I still get my damage bonuses from traits and the like? So if I blinded myself and have blind-fight, then I dominate an enemy, can I attack at +6 damage without my blinded condition?
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next