Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+33
Inferno1114
Antiquated
Lifeforce
Colter Bolt
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Doc pseudopolis
Grey Pen The Flawed
Hayatecooper
Z2
Caden2112
Pingcode
Kindulas
Quietkal
Nehiel Mori
Videocrazy
Zarhon
tygerburningbright
ZamuelNow
Azureink
Demonu
sunbeam
LoganAura
thematthew
Curunir
Philadelphus
Fury of the Tempest
A1C Bronymous
Paper Shadow
SilentBelle
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Stairc -Dan Felder
37 posters

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 25 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:04 pm

... A little post?

THAT was you definition of a little post?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 25 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Antiquated Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:18 am

This was my first post here. I'm rather verbose...
Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/antiquatedannomaly

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:20 am

.... So you are.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:52 pm

Xel UnknownWhat happens... If somehow you get multiple different "Roll Twice" effects active for one's dice? (we have four of them, two traits, one talent, and one item)

Combat Traits wrote:Bloodlust
You may roll twice on attacks made against bloodied targets. You may use either result.

Fool Me Twice
Whenever you roll a 1 on a d8, d10 or d12, you may roll twice on all your d8s, d10s and d12s next turn and take either result.
Combat Talent wrote:[+2] Friendly Encouragement - Standard Utility
Target ally can roll twice on his or her next attack and take either result.
Treasure Trove wrote:Chain of the Drunken Master - 1000 Gold
Armor
While you are dazed, you may roll twice on all die rolls and use either result. 
So yeah, if like somehow... All four of these got triggered, would you like roll like what, 16 times?

For the ease of simplicity, re-roll twice effects do not stack. 

AntiquatedOne of the first utilities in the utilities doc is the derp utility, which causes you to treat ones through threes as critical failures on skill checks in exchange for an additional magic point. This is basically a flaw, no? Which makes me think, why isn't there an optional flaw system? Something that would allow you to trade things your character can do for bonuses.

My party, thankfully, has a really cool DM, and he has allowed us to create our own character flaws. Doing things like trading a bit of total hp for an extra utility, Or having your character have a phobia or a compulsion of some sort in exchange for some kind of skill bonus. I think over half my party members have some kind of little deal like this going on. And if my party is representative of the population that plays this game, then there are probably a lot of people who are making similar deals with their DM's, or who would use a flaws system if it existed.

So, has an optional flaws system been discussed before? And if so, was it rejected for a reason? I mean, there is nothing wrong with doing what my party is already doing, allow the players and their DM's to work it out on their own, but the point of all these docs is to make things easier for DM's by providing structure. So, why not have something in place for players that want to give their characters flaws?

If a flaws system wasn't vetoed earlier on in game development, and if there isn't one that I somehow missed, I would be willing to write something up. 

I'm thinking of something kind of like the genetic engineering system. A system that allows you to apply flaws to your charactre (phobias, compulsions, -hp, capping skill bonuses at +5, blindness, ect...) and get points for them. You could then spend those points on things like, attribute points, magic points, utilities, skill bonuses, genetic engineering points, +hp, ect...

I think I could make a pretty balanced system that is also very flexible. Obviously, players that decide to use this should end up with a character that is more fragile or restricted in some ways than they had before. So, if you traded 5 hp for a flaw point, you would only be able to trade that point back for, say, 3-4 hp. Overall characters would end up with less, but with more of it where they wanted it.

So, if this is something that would be used, or that could possibly be integrated into the game as an optional mechanic in character building, I would love to write up a first draft and toss it around for improvements and suggestions. And if a similar idea was shut down a long time ago, I would like to hear the reasoning behind that decision.

Like others have said, we don't have any plans currently to create a flaws system. I can't quite remember the reason we cut the idea during the design process, but like others have said there is a rather fleshed out community created system in place. Using stuff in your own group or the community creating things is highly encouraged! After all, we are just a team of three people with busy lives; so part of the issue with creating a flaws system is that we don't really have the time to sit down and make it. Especially with it being summer so we don't have easy access to each other. 

I know this question was pretty much answered by the other awesome members of the forum, I just wanted to include a Dev post saying "Yeah, all those smart guys are smart." And to say hello; welcome to the forums and such!
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:55 pm

Doc pseudopolis wrote:I apologise if this question has been asked before but does the effect of Barter in Blood active Bloody contract?
Combat Talents for reference:
*points to a question you missed*

Odds are they don't really mix... But I personally enjoy hearing a Dev say something to make 100% sure about this.

Also on a random note: Does initiative bonusi stack?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:04 pm

Initiative bonuses stack. Asked that before.
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:20 am

So, I've only played with the Skype combat rules so far, but am becoming interested in the table-top rules. However, I'm slightly confused about the difference between "jump" and "fly", since only "jump" is defined as a key word. What, exactly, is the difference between the following two talents? And what does "fly" mean in general?

[0] Flight - Move Utility
Fly up to your speed

[-1] Teleport - Move Utility
Jump up to your speed.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:09 pm

Xel Unknown
Doc pseudopolis wrote:I apologise if this question has been asked before but does the effect of Barter in Blood active Bloody contract?
Combat Talents for reference:
*points to a question you missed*

Odds are they don't really mix... But I personally enjoy hearing a Dev say something to make 100% sure about this.

Also on a random note: Does initiative bonusi stack? 

Paying life/Losing life does not count as taking damage, so Bloody Contact does not trigger.

And as stated, Int bonus's stack.

Philadelphus wrote:So, I've only played with the Skype combat rules so far, but am becoming interested in the table-top rules. However, I'm slightly confused about the difference between "jump" and "fly", since only "jump" is defined as a key word. What, exactly, is the difference between the following two talents? And what does "fly" mean in general?

[0] Flight - Move Utility
Fly up to your speed

[-1] Teleport - Move Utility
Jump up to your speed.

Well, jump has some traits associated with it that trigger effects when you jump. Also, jumping occurs instantly so you never actually cross the line of sight for creatures. They can't react to you jumping across their vision. Jump really should read as teleport, but its jump instead of teleport because jump implies you need line of sight where as teleporting doesn't and we want them to require line of sight to jump.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:30 pm

What happens, if an Attack Roll triggers a Crit, then the enemy deals an Interrupt that negates the attack's damage (Also this Interrupt deals a stun effect if that matters)? Does the Crit still happen? Or was it negated as well....
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:35 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:What happens, if an Attack Roll triggers a Crit, then the enemy deals an Interrupt that negates the attack's damage (Also this Interrupt deals a stun effect if that matters)? Does the Crit still happen? Or was it negated as well....
Note that in the specific instance noted, it isn't the damage that was negated: the entire attack was stopped before it could proceed to the stage where it does things. (Think 'Stunning Heron's Hoof')

Also, in theory, could 'glorious miracle' from the 'Staff of Miracles' be used to grant 2 pips to a conscious ally, without the healing?
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:08 pm

A few questions!

1) The "Be Prepared" d12 special:
d12: Target creature gains Resist 3d8 until the end of your next turn. In addition, until the end of the encounter you and up to six allies may use any combat talent that you possess - even if you did not select it for this battle.
From its wording, it can mean that either every player gets their own abilities fully unlocked for use, OR every player gets the special-triggering-player's abilities to use. Which of the two is it?

2) Special moves - for the purpose of reactions and interrupts and abilities that might affect it, are they ever considered as attacks, or utilities? Do players get choice over the matter at their own leisure? Can they be affected/boosted by other abilities directly (e.g. double damage stuff)?

3) Can special moves be "negated" if the move triggering it is interrupted and stopped, or can a special be triggered off of, and stopped in a similar way
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:14 pm

Its 'every player gets the special-triggering-player's abilities to use.' And I'm very sure that special moves are a class of their own, so they are unable to be interrupted.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:26 pm

I'm pretty certain it's that every player gets full access to their own moves, not the triggering player's.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:29 pm

How is it even possible to interpt that way? Its as clear as day!

'until the end of the encounter you and up to six allies may use any combat talent that you possess'

And as you is the triggering player, it is obvious it says that everyone uses your talents, not their own.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:32 pm

1) Really Fury? Huh, I'd always heard it was each player could use their relevant talents, though I suppose it really could be either. You making them prepared with stuff you know or encouraging them to be prepared in their own right.
2) As I understand, Specials are their own class and are never Attacks or Utilities, nor even talents, thus not triggering either "on your next attack" or "trigger- you are the target of an attack/talent."
3) As I understand, the only process to negate a talent is to ignore the effects of a triggering target (Wind Rapier's "Typhoon Parry", Displacer Armor, that other thing that can give you 5 temp instead.) You'd still roll the dice, possibly trigger a Special, and affect targets that didn't interrupt with a talent negater(?). However, any Specials are a separate action after the talent resolves and are not be negated.
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:38 pm

Can someone PLEASE explain the wording in a way that it makes sense that everyone unlocks their own talents?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Fury, nobody is saying your interpretation of the wording is incorrect, just that they worded it poorly. From a logical standpoint there's little reason to believe they meant it they way you're reading it as that ends up being not very useful or rather munchkinish with not really much space in-between. Also, it'd be really hard to explain in character.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:57 pm

What's wrong with being curious as to how other people interpreted it the way they did?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:29 pm

@Fury
I interpreted it to mean 'each player gets to use their own talents' because each player getting to use the triggering player's talents is just so thoroughly nonsensical that Occam's Razor tells me: they did a poor job wording it, rather than planning something so strange.
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:38 pm

... Okay.... don't get how one can think like that when its so clear, but okay... I suppose that's possible.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:00 pm

It's basically the same way anyone deals with any kind of grammar error or typo. You read it, think "that doesn't make sense", and figure out what the intent was.

Also, I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned and answered before so some people might just have seen that answer. This really just goes on the list of wording changes they need to make.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:30 am

Xel Unknown wrote:
Combat Talents Doc wrote:[+1] Redirect Focus - Minor Utility
You are dazed until the end of your next turn.
Where did this talent come from and why did it sneak it's way into the combat doc? Because I don't recall anyone knowing of this thing before now... It looks really cool, with the combos that can be done with it. But yeah... Why'd it appear on the doc under the radar?

OR did you guys forgot to inform us when it was added?
Redirect Focus was a power added to the board system that may have not been added to Skype due because the drawback was more significant in board where you had to worry about move actions, and it might have been considered too powerful for the skype version. But now it's there, apparently. And to answer Sunbeam's question, yes, the second you use this your turn is basically over, as the dazed restriction sets in - a + minor power really needs to be unwieldy that way
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:04 am

Missed these

Z2 wrote:
Xel Unknown wrote:What happens, if an Attack Roll triggers a Crit, then the enemy deals an Interrupt that negates the attack's damage (Also this Interrupt deals a stun effect if that matters)? Does the Crit still happen? Or was it negated as well....
Note that in the specific instance noted, it isn't the damage that was negated: the entire attack was stopped before it could proceed to the stage where it does things. (Think 'Stunning Heron's Hoof')

Also, in theory, could 'glorious miracle' from the 'Staff of Miracles' be used to grant 2 pips to a conscious ally, without the healing?

Zarhon wrote:A few questions!

d12: Target creature gains Resist 3d8 until the end of your next turn. In addition, until the end of the encounter you and up to six allies may use any combat talent that you possess - even if you did not select it for this battle.
From its wording, it can mean that either every player gets their own abilities fully unlocked for use, OR every player gets the special-triggering-player's abilities to use. Which of the two is it?

2) Special moves - for the purpose of reactions and interrupts and abilities that might affect it, are they ever considered as attacks, or utilities? Do players get choice over the matter at their own leisure? Can they be affected/boosted by other abilities directly (e.g. double damage stuff)?

3) Can special moves be "negated" if the move triggering it is interrupted and stopped, or can a special be triggered off of, and stopped in a similar way
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:29 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:Missed these

Z2 wrote:

Zarhon wrote:A few questions!

Xel: Normally, if something would prevent damage or cause the attack to miss, the crits still trigger separately. In the case of stunning the creature as an interrupt, however, the game progresses as though the dice were never rolled. At least that's my ruling - things get odd when you consider the fact that crits are supposed to resolve before the triggering attack does, and frankly and wonder if that's something we should change.

Zar:
1) It needs to be reworded. As stated, yeah, it looks like you get the crit-user's attacks, but it isn't supposed to be that way. 
2) The fact is, the templating on crits are a relic. There's virtually none, and now that the system has as much interaction as it does they need clearer rules as to what exactly there are. There needs to be a crit overhaul anyway, so we'll work on defining these things when we do so. As it is, I'd rule them "Triggered Utilities," so they can't be stopped and interacted with like attacks specifically, but otherwise they're fair game.
3) See the answer to Xel's question, and the answer to (2)
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:35 pm

A crit overhaul? As in, an overhaul in just how they opperate, or something more major where the current crit's are changed or even added to?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next