Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+33
Inferno1114
Antiquated
Lifeforce
Colter Bolt
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Doc pseudopolis
Grey Pen The Flawed
Hayatecooper
Z2
Caden2112
Pingcode
Kindulas
Quietkal
Nehiel Mori
Videocrazy
Zarhon
tygerburningbright
ZamuelNow
Azureink
Demonu
sunbeam
LoganAura
thematthew
Curunir
Philadelphus
Fury of the Tempest
A1C Bronymous
Paper Shadow
SilentBelle
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Stairc -Dan Felder
37 posters

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 24 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Philadelphus Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:14 pm

Nehiel Mori wrote: Not requiring Line of Sight is an exception, not the rule. Some things, like Honor (Or Loyalty [....]) wont but giving a +10 to a skill check or using laughter do.
Um...sorry to be pedantic, but Loyalty is the only Element that specifically mentions line-of-sight:

Spoiler:
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 24 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  sunbeam Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:30 am

Alright, one last question about redirect focus. If I use it and become dazed, does that count as my sole action for the turn, or is the action limit imposed after I use the talent, so I could do something with that additional pip on my turn?

Also, what is the set pattern of occurrences in a turn? ...There's a much better way to put this.
At what point do (save ends) affects that happen at the start of your turn (ongoing damage, etc.) happen?
At what point do you roll your 1/turn saving throws for all your (save ends) conditions?
Taking these two answers together, how are you affected by (save ends) conditions the turn you save against them?
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:59 am

If inflict a creature with contagious curse (Save ends) am I still able to inflict ongoing damage (save ends) onto and if so does each instance act separately for the purposes of inflicting damage and effects like shadow archers and conjurer's shadows?
Contagious curse for reference:

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:16 pm

As far as I can tell, contagious curse inflicts 5 ongoing damage. When CC is saved against, the 5 ongoing disappears, but it is equivalent to normal ongoing damage. So you other ongoing damage effects won't stack with it, but stuff like fleshrender and Conjurer's shadow will increase it (it even uses the term "suffering from ongoing damage"). The one loophole I can think of here is that CC states that when suffering from it, the target suffers from 5 ongoing damage, so you might not be able to boost the ongoing damage (or the game just bugs out if you turn ongoing 5 into ongoing 7, and then the ongoing 5 gets reapplied...Let's just not worry about that possibility.)
We may want to reword that somehow, clearly.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:01 am

Does "unacceptable" take into account rolls that your conjurations would make (since technically they're rolls that you make for your conjurations)?

Is "blood pact's" "health loss" affected by vulnerability, resist, temporary hp, and other such damage-altering effects, or is it considered the same as "paying hp" and a flat, unpreventable value?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:12 pm

You take a level 3 boon at level three, you can take a level 3 boon at level 6, and you can take TWO level three boons at level 9...
Does this mean that theoretically a party could have 4 'build a boon workshop's at level 9?
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:09 pm

I think this is the right place to ask this...

Why was there just a massive change in the posting formatting?
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:14 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:I think this is the right place to ask this...

Why was there just a massive change in the posting formatting?
There's a button that switches it to the old format if you guys find that more convenient. It's the one to the farthest right of the toolbar. But I would also like to know the answer to this question, although it seems mostly because of some update to how posts are made making the new mode (which technically was always there but no one used) the default one...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:40 pm

Hmm...

For Interrupts/Reactions is it one interrupt per trigger per character, or one interrupt per trigger?

If, say, the trigger is 'an ally would take damage' then could both players A and B use the interrupt when player C falls victim to a damaging attack?
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:08 am

Zarhon wrote:Does "unacceptable" take into account rolls that your conjurations would make (since technically they're rolls that you make for your conjurations)?

Is "blood pact's" "health loss" affected by vulnerability, resist, temporary hp, and other such damage-altering effects, or is it considered the same as "paying hp" and a flat, unpreventable value?
No, Unacceptable does not. You make the rolls because your conjurations don't exist as actual people but in the rules the conjurations are making the rolls. This is why the conjurations don't crit unless they have a special trait. 

Health loss and paying hp act the same way. Vuln, resist, temp hp and all other damage altering effects do not effect health loss or paid life.

Z2
You take a level 3 boon at level three, you can take a level 3 boon at level 6, and you can take TWO level three boons at level 9...
Does this mean that theoretically a party could have 4 'build a boon workshop's at level 9?

Yes, you may. Enjoy ALL THE LEVEL 3 BOONS. 

Z2Hmm...

For Interrupts/Reactions is it one interrupt per trigger per character, or one interrupt per trigger?

If, say, the trigger is 'an ally would take damage' then could both players A and B use the interrupt when player C falls victim to a damaging attack?

Yes, both players A and B could use the interrupt. Its one interrupts per trigger per character. You can think of it like the trigger happens uniquely for each character. Each character can only respond to the trigger once, but they can each respond.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:18 am

I remember Dan saying something about "true domination" which meant enemies who are dominated are not dazed but this is what you have in the book for the Dominated condition.

Dominated - The dominated creature has its turns controlled by the dominating creature.

By that wording, a dominated creature can take minor, reaction, and interrupt actions that occur on its turn. If this isn't the intent, you might want to change the wording.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:24 am

Ramsus wrote:I remember Dan saying something about "true domination" which meant enemies who are dominated are not dazed but this is what you have in the book for the Dominated condition.

Dominated - The dominated creature has its turns controlled by the dominating creature.

By that wording, a dominated creature can take minor, reaction, and interrupt actions that occur on its turn. If this isn't the intent, you might want to change the wording.
Nice catch.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:50 pm

combat talent doc wrote:Free Action - Free actions can be performed on any player’s or enemy’s turn at any time, at no cost. They can also be used in response to actions as though they were interrupts.
In theory, a monster build with a free action that doesn't cost pips nor has any trigger... By the fact that there is no outright statement of limits to how many free actions can happen. Basically you can deal an INFINITY of such a talent... I'd suggest giving an limit on how many free actions a round or saying if it was once per each character's turn... Or what...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:59 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:
combat talent doc wrote:Free Action - Free actions can be performed on any player’s or enemy’s turn at any time, at no cost. They can also be used in response to actions as though they were interrupts.
In theory, a monster build with a free action that doesn't cost pips nor has any trigger... By the fact that there is no outright statement of limits to how many free actions can happen. Basically you can deal an INFINITY of such a talent... I'd suggest giving an limit on how many free actions a round or saying if it was once per each character's turn... Or what...
Alternately, don't make monsters with free actions that doesn't cost pips unless it has some other costs (such as a Free Action that costs health instead)? Although, I will admit, I'm sure I read somewhere that you could only use a free action once per turn...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:02 am

Stunned – A creature that is stunned cannot take standard, immediate or free actions.

This is what's written in the combat section of the handbook. Minor actions are suspiciously absent. Is this leftover from before Minor actions were invented, or can you take minor actions while stunned?
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:18 am

sunbeam wrote:Stunned – A creature that is stunned cannot take standard, immediate or free actions.

This is what's written in the combat section of the handbook. Minor actions are suspiciously absent. Is this leftover from before Minor actions were invented, or can you take minor actions while stunned?

Its a leftover, you can't do minor actions while stunned. 

Xel Unknown

In theory, a monster build with a free action that doesn't cost pips nor has any trigger... By the fact that there is no outright statement of limits to how many free actions can happen. Basically you can deal an INFINITY of such a talent... I'd suggest giving an limit on how many free actions a round or 
saying if it was once per each character's turn... Or what...

Currently, a free action can only be used once per-round. Also, free actions always have a negative cost so even if they could be used more then once a round you shouldn't be able to do them infinitely because you'll run out of resources. A monster designed to do so is, well, probably poorly designed.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:32 pm

What happens... If somehow you get multiple different "Roll Twice" effects active for one's dice? (we have four of them, two traits, one talent, and one item)

Combat Traits wrote:Bloodlust
You may roll twice on attacks made against bloodied targets. You may use either result.

Fool Me Twice
Whenever you roll a 1 on a d8, d10 or d12, you may roll twice on all your d8s, d10s and d12s next turn and take either result.
Combat Talent wrote:[+2] Friendly Encouragement - Standard Utility
Target ally can roll twice on his or her next attack and take either result.
Treasure Trove wrote:Chain of the Drunken Master - 1000 Gold
Armor
While you are dazed, you may roll twice on all die rolls and use either result.
So yeah, if like somehow... All four of these got triggered, would you like roll like what, 16 times?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:02 pm

As written, I don't think "roll twice" stacks. It just grants you the ability to roll twice. If two of them are activated, you've still only been granted the ability to roll twice, not roll twice twice or something.
So they probably don't stack.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:20 pm

I apologise if this question has been asked before but does the effect of Barter in Blood active Bloody contract?
Combat Talents for reference:

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Losing HP=Paying HP, but neither of those are the same as taking damage. So, no.
On a side note, this is also why paying/losing HP doesn't activate vulnerability or resistance.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:09 pm

Seems like I have a lot of catching up to do here...
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 24 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer: Flaws?

Post  Antiquated Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:14 pm

One of the first utilities in the utilities doc is the derp utility, which causes you to treat ones through threes as critical failures on skill checks in exchange for an additional magic point. This is basically a flaw, no? Which makes me think, why isn't there an optional flaw system? Something that would allow you to trade things your character can do for bonuses.

My party, thankfully, has a really cool DM, and he has allowed us to create our own character flaws. Doing things like trading a bit of total hp for an extra utility, Or having your character have a phobia or a compulsion of some sort in exchange for some kind of skill bonus. I think over half my party members have some kind of little deal like this going on. And if my party is representative of the population that plays this game, then there are probably a lot of people who are making similar deals with their DM's, or who would use a flaws system if it existed.

So, has an optional flaws system been discussed before? And if so, was it rejected for a reason? I mean, there is nothing wrong with doing what my party is already doing, allow the players and their DM's to work it out on their own, but the point of all these docs is to make things easier for DM's by providing structure. So, why not have something in place for players that want to give their characters flaws?

If a flaws system wasn't vetoed earlier on in game development, and if there isn't one that I somehow missed, I would be willing to write something up. 

I'm thinking of something kind of like the genetic engineering system. A system that allows you to apply flaws to your charactre (phobias, compulsions, -hp, capping skill bonuses at +5, blindness, ect...) and get points for them. You could then spend those points on things like, attribute points, magic points, utilities, skill bonuses, genetic engineering points, +hp, ect...

I think I could make a pretty balanced system that is also very flexible. Obviously, players that decide to use this should end up with a character that is more fragile or restricted in some ways than they had before. So, if you traded 5 hp for a flaw point, you would only be able to trade that point back for, say, 3-4 hp. Overall characters would end up with less, but with more of it where they wanted it.

So, if this is something that would be used, or that could possibly be integrated into the game as an optional mechanic in character building, I would love to write up a first draft and toss it around for improvements and suggestions. And if a similar idea was shut down a long time ago, I would like to hear the reasoning behind that decision.

Last edited by Antiquated on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : MSC Tweaks)
Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/antiquatedannomaly

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:18 pm

Shouldn't you have done some research about flaws before bringing it up in such a big way? Because although its not official, there is a flaws document and it is well used,
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:22 pm

There is a community-made flaws system, but the driving force has left the community for real life reasons...

The devs generally wish to avoid adding more systems to Pony Tales. In addition, they don't like mixing Out Of Combat with Combat, so they don't like things that would reduce or increase HP unless it was a Combat Trait or something. So while the devs do allow players to make their own flaw systems if they want to, they don't plan on officially adding one...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Antiquated Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:00 pm

Hmmm, I  poked around for a flaws system and didn't find anything. Guess I missed it. Still this looks interesting, I'll defiantly take a look at this. Also, Those reasons for not including this in the main doc make perfect sense. Thanks for the quick replies! ^_^

Also, I don't consider a little post like that "bringing it up in a big way." Now, if I had jumped the gun and written up the system I had in mind... Still, I thought I would offer. I'm of the mind that the person who points out a problem should also volunteer to help fix it. This was the least I could do.
Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/antiquatedannomaly

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next