Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pony SBURB PbP (Recruiting two players)

+7
Zarhon
mjh6
AProcrastinatingWriter
TheCavalry
Colter Bolt
A1C Bronymous
Elacular
11 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Pony SBURB PbP (Recruiting two players) Empty Pony SBURB PbP (Recruiting two players)

Post  Elacular Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:50 pm

Your name is Celestia. And you are currently scared out of your mind.

You and your sister Luna don't understand it. But Twilight does. She says that the world is going to end.

And you believe her.

The year is 20XX. Ponies have made great leaps and bounds in the field of science, mostly thanks to the hard work of Princess Twilight and her friends. The most notable change is the invention of the Telekinet, a network that connected all unicorns once, but now brings together anypony with a horn or a computer. That last part is important. It's integral to ponykind's survival.

A simple CD. A CD with a green house. That's all it looks like. But as the youngest alicorn makes copies upon copies upon copies, she assures you that this is the most important part.

It looks like a magical game to you.

But even so, you send out thousands of copies, simply praying that it meets the right few ponies.

There's a unicorn named Shining Armor who is using his magic to make a shield.

One big enough to cover the entire world.

But he can't hold out forever.

All you can do is watch the fireworks and hope that this SBURB thing works.

Hello everypony. This idea has been rattling in my brain for a while now, and I was hoping I could share it with all of you. This is going to be an RP about a group of ponies playing through the game of SBURB. It will be fairly combat light and EXTREMELY rp and exploration heavy.

Basic Knowledge.

First and foremost, though the game begins in equestrian, the players will later end up in a setting that is highly player defined. As such, I won't be able to explain the details of it until the game has begun. I will, however, try to explain things as  best I can.

Things every character must have:

A computer
A ponychum (essentially a low-tech AIM style instant messaging system) account and two word chumhandle (eg, carcinoGeneticist, ectoBiologist or grimAuxiliatrix)
A copy of the SBURB client and server discs
Their own home
An elder caretaker of similar species who acts as parental figure to the player.

Other things that are more personal will be discussed GM to player. Such as...

Each character will also have
Homestuck and Midgame spoilers:

FAQ:

Glossary:

Players:

Last edited by Elacular on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:38 pm; edited 25 times in total
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Pony SBURB PbP (Recruiting two players) Empty Re: Pony SBURB PbP (Recruiting two players)

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:08 pm

Maybe some background info on what SBURB actually is, for those of us who don't internet enough. I don't have even a remote idea of what half of those questions are talking about.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Pony SBURB PbP (Recruiting two players) Empty Re: Pony SBURB PbP (Recruiting two players)

Post  Elacular Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:18 pm

...duh. I'm a moron, so please forgive me. My issue is that I want you to find out a lot of this in character, but I forgot that there were some things you'd already know. I'll put this on the first post as well ASAP.

SBURB is a computer game that has been advertised as "The Sims in real life!" The game is co-op, meant to be played with multiple people over the Telekinet. It's a powerful magitech game that has two CDs to it: the client disc and the server disc. The client and server connect over the Telekinet, and when they're both installed, the server is able to alter the client's living arrangements using their own computer. They're also able to drop in different things preprogrammed into the game. These include:

Captchalogue cards: Magitech cards that can magically hold objects and have nonsensical codes on the back.

And a number of other things. I'll update the list when it becomes relevant.

There's a great deal more to it, but I'd like to keep at least a few of those a surprise. I'll answer questions as you ask them.

Last edited by Elacular on Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Colter Bolt Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:37 pm

Pro tip, take your player's bath and drop it in the most game-stalling place you can. Anyways, I think I'll make a character for this sometime in the next few days.
Colter Bolt
Colter Bolt
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:04 pm

Do I have to read Homestuck to play or understand this?

Actually no. I've deliberately worked it out so it's first entry inclusive.
May want to rethink that. You explained SBURBS but not any of the stuff in it.

Will there be trolls or cherubs?

'Fraid not. There will be all the aliens you'd find in a typical SBURB game, but no outsiders.

Will there be Fetch Modi/strife specibi/other goofy source material stuff?

If you include it in your character, yes. If not, no. Pesterchum (or Ponychum, rather) will be a thing out of necessity.

Without source material this is all gibberish.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:17 pm

I know that. But those are things that it's not necessary to know about it understand to play this game. I want to keep some of the parts secret so that they'll be a surprise to people who don't know the source material. You don't need an in-depth analysis of every aspect of home stuck to be a part of this game.

Particularly relevant where the goofy source material stuff is concerned since I don't actually intend to make important use of it in character. I don't want to explain what sort of aliens you'll meet because it's a surprise. I don't want to explain what a Fetch modus is because it's complicated and irrelevant.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:58 pm

Fair enough, I guess.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:18 pm

Sorry, I was a bit too brusque there. A better way to explain it is this. If this were a star wars campaign, we're starting on a moisture farm on Tatooine. The aliens are the political climate of Coruscant, relevant eventually but not now. And the Fetch modi and Strife specibi are like Midichlorians, part of the source material, but not something I'm going to bother with if it doesn't come up. Does that make more sense?
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:32 pm

It does, and I just had a wall-o-text about the underlying issue I have, but nevermind. If you want to run it that way, and you get players, then it all works out. I am too wary about committing to something I know nothing about, and being completely lost save for explanations every other post to keep me up to speed, to join. But I thought I'd raise the point to help improve upon it.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCavalry Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:37 pm

I might be interested. Maybe.

I haven't read anything Homestuck related, at all though. And I'm currently in two active games at the minute, planning a third, and allegedly involved in two others on different forums.
But... I like roleplaying. So hmm.

Could you put me down as a possible player? If you get six sheets before I do, obviously drop me, but... I might be interested. Just need to do a little research and time managing, I think.
TheCavalry
TheCavalry
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:03 pm

Alright, I can do that Cal.

Also, Brony and I had a talk over Skype and he made me realize that even if I wanted to preserve shock value, I was sending you in a bit too dry. So here's the basic information you need for this game, which will be added to the first post.

First and foremost, though the game begins in equestrian, the players will later end up in a setting that is highly player defined. As such, I won't be able to explain the details of it until the game has begun. I will, however, try to explain things as  best I can.

Things every character must have:

A computer
A ponychum (essentially a low-tech AIM style instant messaging system) account and two word chumhandle (eg, carcinoGeneticist, ectoBiologist or grimAuxiliatrix)
A copy of the SBURB player and server discs
Their own home
An elder caretaker of similar species who acts as parental figure to the player.

Other things that are more personal will be discussed GM to player.

Each character will also have
Homestuck and Midgame spoilers:

Last edited by Elacular on Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:22 pm

You should read Homestuck, TheCalvary.

I am in. So in. So very in,
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:07 pm

Glossary

Chumhandle: The name displayed on your Ponychum account. Generally two words with one capital letter and no spaces. Abbreviated as the first letter of both words.
Client: The pony in SBURB whose house is being altered.
Ponychum: A low-tech, free instant messaging system that works over the Telekinet.
SBURB: A new, hyped up computer game advertised as IRL Sims. Rumor has it it was made and distributed by the princesses. Comes with two disks: player and server.
Server: The player in SBURB who changes their player's environment.
Telekinet: The pony internet. Acessable through magitech devices or unicorn horns.

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:I'm not sure we really need all this right now? Taken all in at once, this is all rather confusing, but SBURB is specifically set up to...well, not ease the players in, but you're given a little at a time and the ability to figure it out as you go. That's part of the fun.

Trying to list off everything we need to know in the future now seems a little counter-intuitive.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, right NOW it's fine upon reflection, actually, but this information seems like a good enough stopping point! Sorry for the confusion, and good job judging where things needed to go.

Yeah, you're right. Sorry. What Bronymous said just made me paranoid. I'll update the gloss as needed

Last edited by Elacular on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:16 pm

I'm not sure we really need all this right now? Taken all in at once, this is all rather confusing, but SBURB is specifically set up to...well, not ease the players in, but you're given a little at a time and the ability to figure it out as you go. That's part of the fun.

Trying to list off everything we need to know in the future now seems a little counter-intuitive.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, right NOW it's fine upon reflection, actually, but this information seems like a good enough stopping point! Sorry for the confusion, and good job judging where things needed to go.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:22 pm

I honestly know nothing about Homestruck, or SBURB,

But, there's first time for everything, right?
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:23 pm

Well I'd like it if there was. Wanna be on the potentials or players list?
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:30 pm

Players list  Very Happy 
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Colter Bolt Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:17 am

So, will we all be connected to our client and server players randomly, or is that up to the players to choose? I'm not entirely sure if what I'm saying is making sense, but it's too late to care and too early to forget.
Colter Bolt
Colter Bolt
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:19 am

I reckon I'll leave it the player's choice. More fun that way, and as long as it ends up in some kinda daisy chain I'll be happy.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:35 am

For those not knowledgeable about Homestuck, have an alternative source of info.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:09 am

I'd like a spot. I'll get after it...
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:10 am

Well, clearly I have some extra reading to do. Also, noted and welcome Crys.

EDIT: Also, Zarhon, I think I might have missed a nuance. Do you wanna be on the list?
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:05 pm

Things to note:

Though not strictly necessary, per se, groups of players in SBURB, at least from what we've seen in canon, tend to be split evenly between the two sexes (presuming their species is comprised of two sexes).
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:57 pm

Also worth noting: computers in this universe can be used telepathically, but they also tend to have binary keyboards, wing keyboards or voice-to-text microphones. It's up to you what sort your character has.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Colter Bolt Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:14 am

So, does anyone want to have a character with previous history with mine?

Also, this isn't exactly about the game, but I thought those who might paint their skin grey would find this interesting. Thinking about this got me into the mood to watch a lot of homestuck stuff on youtube. Now, I'm the kind of guy that enjoys the more mirthful stuff, and when I went into work today, I found out that not only is the company I work for partnered with the Ringling brothers, but that we were going to have a clown come in.
Colter Bolt
Colter Bolt
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next