Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cirque du Celeste [play-by-post, slice of life campaign][FULL]

+10
Fury of the Tempest
Crystalite
Brony 7 of 9
Senshuken
Paper Shadow
Elacular
Quietkal
A1C Bronymous
mjh6
TheCavalry
14 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Cirque du Celeste [play-by-post, slice of life campaign][FULL] - Page 6 Empty Re: Cirque du Celeste [play-by-post, slice of life campaign][FULL]

Post  TheCavalry Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:40 pm

For what it's worth, I'm sorry. It seems like an interesting character dynamic, and I'm sorry that I can't make it work the way you might like it too.

...I hate the internet. The above is meant to sound remorseful, not petty.

If you want to keep the mediator option, is there anyone on the forum whose schedules would match well enough with yours to handle controlling Tan? A spike for the group, kind of...

(I'll post either in a few hours; think I'd best let you guys hash this topic out first. For what it's worth, I would love to sign on each day and see lots of inter-character stuff going on. I've kind of swamped you with NPCs right now for my own ease of adaption so if that bugs you and you'd rather be left to your own devices...let me know.)
TheCavalry
TheCavalry
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Cirque du Celeste [play-by-post, slice of life campaign][FULL] - Page 6 Empty Re: Cirque du Celeste [play-by-post, slice of life campaign][FULL]

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:32 pm

It seems to me that the core dynamic of the two is that the snake talks to him and no one else, whereas you controlling only the snake and not the companion is a secondary idea, not crucial to character development. Obviously you would lose the more realistic function of speaking with a character and not knowing how he'd respond, being inside Viper's head, but on the flip side him being controlled by the DM is more of a Real Time play concept- and even then it's hard enough for DMs to keep track of their own NPCs, with a companion on top of that.

In my game, I'm also controlling a character companion NPC, and we mostly forget that its there most of the time. If the player controls it, and only has to refer to the DM when the companion takes action, I believe it's much more convenient, easy and efficient- it does what it does when the player wants it to, like a companion should. And in an RP intensive setting like this one, characters being able to speak without waiting on a third party is much more important.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Loud Taffy Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:20 pm

I'm confused, should Hela take a flyer or wait for Flair to respond?
Loud Taffy
Loud Taffy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCavalry Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:36 pm

This May or may not be relevant to this at hand or near future events.

Anyone got any good advice with regards levelling up rates?

And...in case anyone was wondering... Dunno if we'll switch systems. I haven't read the rules for it yet, but I'm rather inclined to keep with the system we've already started with.
TheCavalry
TheCavalry
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:48 pm

TheCavalry wrote:This May or may not be relevant to this at hand or near future events.

Anyone got any good advice with regards levelling up rates?

And...in case anyone was wondering... Dunno if we'll switch systems. I haven't read the rules for it yet, but I'm rather inclined to keep with the system we've already started with.
Eh, the games I played in all handled leveling differently. The one I DMed, I had the group level up every 3 to 4 sessions because we were going to have 30+ ones. Other DM's do whenever they feel the group achieved something plot related. Yet others still rush through levels fast as to get more mileage out of destinies.

I guess the only 3 guidelines I can give you are these:
- When we level up, at least make it feel like we earned it. Handing out reward without effort makes players lazy and leaves them unfulfilled.
- Don't hold out on leveling up for too long. Putting in effort and skill without some reward makes players irritated and uncooperative.
- Level all players at the same time as a group, even if there is one or two who haven't done much to deserve it. Nothing makes playing a game so frustrating when you know you're lagging behind on your party.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:50 pm

Well according to the Devs, at the rate that PbPs progress, we should be leveling up after every successful skill check or so in order to maximize the system.

Since conflict isn't quite that much of a thing in this campaign, I'm not exactly sure when you would want to have us level up.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:12 pm

Bronymous wrote:Well according to the Devs, at the rate that PbPs progress, we should be leveling up after every successful skill check or so in order to maximize the system.

Since conflict isn't quite that much of a thing in this campaign, I'm not exactly sure when you would want to have us level up.
Doesn't that system kind of invites certain players to make as many skillchecks as possible so they can be level 10 around their 20th post?
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:15 pm

Yes, and was also entirely farsical. I was making a joke because they said that DMs are responsible for how fast their players level, and its their fault if they're only level 4 after two years, even if in those two years they've accomplished as much as three skype sessions.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCavalry Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:28 pm

Me damn it, Twi 

I learned a valuable lesson yesterday. Don't start on a post when you're tired- you'll fall asleep at the computer and wake up to find it gone.

My apologies.
TheCavalry
TheCavalry
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:36 pm

TheCavalry wrote:Me damn it, Twi 

I learned a valuable lesson yesterday. Don't start on a post when you're tired- you'll fall asleep at the computer and wake up to find it gone.

My apologies.
It's not like there is a deadline or anything :p
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:11 pm

Excuse the double post but posting it here, seeing it is an OOC question though Tale Spinner should know it IC
Does the circus work with ticket sales or is it pay at the entrance only?
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCavalry Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:17 pm

Both. Think of it like a concert ; there's a certain number of 'seats' that can be filled, such as the front row, for a higher cost. If patrons don't care where they sit (or stand or whatever) they can pay at the entrance for spots further at the back.
TheCavalry
TheCavalry
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:16 pm

TheCavalry wrote:Both. Think of it like a concert ; there's a certain number of 'seats' that can be filled, such as the front row, for a higher cost. If patrons don't care where they sit (or stand or whatever) they can pay at the entrance for spots further at the back.
So what are the prices for various tickets? IC Tale Spinner should know, just asking so that the boss doesn't complain when I accidently go under the price and we lose valuable profit Smile
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCavalry Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:12 pm

Note: I'm very bad at human!economics, so my sense of equestrian!economics might be right out. If this seems outrageous, either for being too cheap, or too expensive, let me know.

Front row tickets cost 10 bits per pony.
Tickets that aren't at the front cost 7 bits per pony.
Paying at the toll booth (so a potshot on where you get to sit, or if you even get to) costs 5.

There is a bit of a discount though. When paying at the booth, foal tickets cost 4 bits, 3 if their blank flanks.
TheCavalry
TheCavalry
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:49 pm

3 if blank flanks? I see what you're getting at, but that seems a bit mean, considered the stigma applied- and then of course you hvae to consider what age they stop being referred to as children, as there are some older Blank Flanks. Flashpoint, for example, was in his mid to late teens before getting his CM.

But don't worry, I'm just nagging at you. I would have thought circus prices would have been higher, but its up to you and there's no reason those aren't good.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCavalry Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:33 pm

You're absolutely right about the costs being low. Granted, they still cost more than Trixies magic shows ever did...but they are deliberately low-cost, and there are circuses in Equestria which would charge significantly more. If you want more information, pester TR about it ; )

...hmm. It also occurs to me that I should let you know; I wasn't intending on it, but I've kind if half-adopted Zamuels degree of success idea; namely that higher scores don't just pass a DC, they get better results. It just feels more natural to me to write to that, but if you guys disapprove, I can adjust.
TheCavalry
TheCavalry
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:34 pm

TheCavalry wrote:You're absolutely right about the costs being low. Granted, they still cost more than Trixies magic shows ever did...but they are deliberately low-cost, and there are circuses in Equestria which would charge significantly more. If you want more information, pester TR about it ; )

...hmm. It also occurs to me that I should let you know; I wasn't intending on it, but I've kind if half-adopted Zamuels degree of success idea; namely that higher scores don't just pass a DC, they get better results. It just feels more natural to me to write to that, but if you guys disapprove, I can adjust.
Isn't that how it usually goes? 'Cause so far, every game I played/DMed operated on that principle of the higher the roll, the better result you get at attempting whatever it is you're trying to do.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:49 pm

Yeah I think most DMs adopt that principle- at least for less active checks (knowledge/history, heal, perception, persuasion, etc.). There should still be a minimum DC though, because while you can be many degrees of almost, in the end you either did or did not succeed.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:52 am

Bronymous wrote:3 if blank flanks? I see what you're getting at, but that seems a bit mean, considered the stigma applied- and then of course you hvae to consider what age they stop being referred to as children, as there are some older Blank Flanks. Flashpoint, for example, was in his mid to late teens before getting his CM.
See, at first I found it weird as well, but I can see it acting as a long-term recruitment tool as well. "Hey, got no cutie mark? Why don't you pop down to the circus, a very low price just for you, and maybe you'll be inspired by one of our acts. And if you do, don't forget about humble old Cirque du Celeste when looking for a place to demonstrate your new talent, hmm?"

Also, is Viper under Tan's hat or not?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCavalry Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:50 am

Paper Shadow wrote:

I think I might have misunderstood how you intended the Viper thing to work; I assumed he (unless it's a girl snake?) would be visibly, communicating with Tan either via parsletongue, coded messages, or being generally sneaky about it...

The hat thing sounds like you intended it to be more something like Ratatouille. If that's the case...let me know, and I'll edit slightly to put Vipes back where it should be.
TheCavalry
TheCavalry
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:13 pm

TheCavalry wrote:
Paper Shadow wrote:

I think I might have misunderstood how you intended the Viper thing to work; I assumed he (unless it's a girl snake?) would be visibly, communicating with Tan either via parsletongue, coded messages, or being generally sneaky about it...

The hat thing sounds like you intended it to be more something like Ratatouille. If that's the case...let me know, and I'll edit slightly to put Vipes back where it should be.
Well, it's more the first than the second. The hat was just how to keep him hidden while he communicated to Tan. If I planned on having Viper control Tan Ratatouille-style, I would just be controlling him when I want to... :P

Hmm, maybe it would be worth having Viper talk to others. There's just a lot of boundaries and clunkiness with this idea (not your fault, just poor planning and starry eyes on my part) which is making me have second thoughts. I mean, everyone has decreed that Tan is the creepy snake guy anyway. The main reason I haven't is that, since him talking would be a big deal and make him a star if it got out, and he doesn't want that, why would he be talking to more ponies than he needs to? If I can justify that, and if further problems occur with this method, then I'll make the switch. Of course the problem is that if I talk in hushed whispers now and decide to switch, the retcon will make it weird. Decisions decisions...

(Viper's a he, btw...)
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:46 pm

Running a little late. But here is Karliah the Changeling Acrobat.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  TheCavalry Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:21 pm

Paper Shadow wrote:
TheCavalry wrote:
Paper Shadow wrote:

Well, it's more the first than the second. The hat was just how to keep him hidden while he communicated to Tan. If I planned on having Viper control Tan Ratatouille-style, I would just be controlling him when I want to... Razz

Hmm, maybe it would be worth having Viper talk to others. There's just a lot of boundaries and clunkiness with this idea (not your fault, just poor planning and starry eyes on my part) which is making me have second thoughts. I mean, everyone has decreed that Tan is the creepy snake guy anyway. The main reason I haven't is that, since him talking would be a big deal and make him a star if it got out, and he doesn't want that, why would he be talking to more ponies than he needs to? If I can justify that, and if further problems occur with this method, then I'll make the switch. Of course the problem is that if I talk in hushed whispers now and decide to switch, the retcon will make it weird. Decisions decisions...

(Viper's a he, btw...)

I thought it was a 'he', the name just suddenly struck me as very feminine for some reason. Anyway...

If you want him hidden under the hat while he's talking, I'll just add a quick bit about Tan shooing him under there now; my Pony Handler post is a little overdue anyway. Of course... on the issue of the retcon, there's no need for it to actually be a retcon. It's a plot point; Viper didn't talk to ponies before. Now he does; that should generate some reactions from player characters at the least.

And Fury...thanks for the sheet, looks interesting.
TheCavalry
TheCavalry
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:37 pm

I have a question and a thought about Tan and Viper, if it's alright.
How long have they been with the circus? Because if it's been for some time, and Viper does most of the thinking for Tan, then the cirque might just be acquainted with Viper always being around Tan and Tan listening to him, or Tan looking like he's listening to the snake and might actually just be crazy and it's better to just smile politely from a distance and internally panic if he comes closer.
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:34 pm

Quietkal wrote:or Tan looking like he's listening to the snake and might actually just be crazy and it's better to just smile politely from a distance and internally panic if he comes closer.

That's essentially where I had been ging with Flashpoint. Not necessarily keeping a distance, but he's always with the snake and looks like he talks to it, and even listens. Wierd.

This is not to say that we should just know that Viper can talk, but just that we should have noticed that Tan talks to him.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next