Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+33
Inferno1114
Antiquated
Lifeforce
Colter Bolt
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Doc pseudopolis
Grey Pen The Flawed
Hayatecooper
Z2
Caden2112
Pingcode
Kindulas
Quietkal
Nehiel Mori
Videocrazy
Zarhon
tygerburningbright
ZamuelNow
Azureink
Demonu
sunbeam
LoganAura
thematthew
Curunir
Philadelphus
Fury of the Tempest
A1C Bronymous
Paper Shadow
SilentBelle
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Stairc -Dan Felder
37 posters

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 31 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Kindulas Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:15 am

Xel Unknown wrote:Post of new questions: How does the following two attacks combo with any types of attack boosters?

combat talent doc wrote:[+1] Piercing Shot - Standard Attack
Deal 1d8 damage to target creature. This attack ignores resistance.

&

[+1] Hand of Death - Standard Attack
Target creature loses 1d10 hp

NOw I'd assume that for Piercing Shot, any extra damage from like duelist, Wild Abandon, or Crazy Concoction would also bypass the enemy's resistance. But for Hand of Death, any bonus damage would be damage, therefore would have to get through resistance/temp-hp unlike that one's d10 roll...

So like if you had Berserker’s Rage active and used Hand of Death, the enemy would loss 1d10 HP and get an extra 3d6 damage (would have work though resist) in the single attack.... Or what?

attack booster talents and traits for ref:
Berzerker's Rage and Wild Abandon work as you describe
Duelist would not trigger, because it doesn't care about attacks - it cares about talents that "Deal Damage," and hand of death doesn't
Crazy concoction is an odd matter where we don't have a system defined application for "Bonus to Damage"
Crazy concoction will be rewritten for clarity.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 31 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:31 am

Kindulas wrote:
Xel Unknown wrote:Post of new questions: How does the following two attacks combo with any types of attack boosters?

&

NOw I'd assume that for Piercing Shot, any extra damage from like duelist, Wild Abandon, or Crazy Concoction would also bypass the enemy's resistance. But for Hand of Death, any bonus damage would be damage, therefore would have to get through resistance/temp-hp unlike that one's d10 roll...

So like if you had Berserker’s Rage active and used Hand of Death, the enemy would loss 1d10 HP and get an extra 3d6 damage (would have work though resist) in the single attack.... Or what?

Duelist would not trigger, because it doesn't care about attacks - it cares about talents that "Deal Damage," and hand of death doesn't
Crazy concoction is an odd matter where we don't have a system defined application for "Bonus to Damage"
I assume that listing is just for how the new talent works, right? What about how they work with the Piercing Shot?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:41 am

Xel Unknown wrote:
Kindulas wrote:

&

I assume that listing is just for how the new talent works, right? What about how they work with the Piercing Shot?
Oh yeah, Piercing shot. Because the damage is added to the attack, and it says the entire attack ignores resistance, then yes, all bonus damage goes in past resist
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:18 am

Question
If I took an FK in, say, Lying(I know it's broad but as an example)
If I was trying to pick a lock and started muttering untruths to the lock about picking it, would I get the FK to picking it or just to the act of lying to the lock?
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:42 am

Hayatecooper wrote:Question
If I took an FK in, say, Lying(I know it's broad but as an example)
If I was trying to pick a lock and started muttering untruths to the lock about picking it, would I get the FK to picking it or just to the act of lying to the lock?
Unlikely - the lock can't hear/understand the untruths, so it can't be fooled. Wink It would probably apply if the lock in question was sentient, understood you, and you tried to persuade it to open, or reveal its secrets / key location / trick it into guiding you on how to lockpick it.

Anyway, have a few questions!

Spider Climb - Enchantment
Preparation Time: 10 seconds
You or an ally you can see gains a +10 bonus to skill checks made to climb surfaces.

Spider Climb (1)
Characters of your race have a +15 bonus to skill checks made to climb surfaces.

Scent Tracker (2) - At Will
Characters of your race can pick up a person’s scent off of an object they have worn or held. You gain a +15 bonus to tracking that creature, until their trail crosses water, is washed away by rain or encounters any other circumstance that would mask or remove scents.

1) Why do these two abilities (a utility talent and racial, respectively) have an identical name, but different effects? Do they stack together (allowing a +25 bonus)?

2) How long does Spider Climb (the enchanting utility) last, since its duration isn't specified? How long do any of the other "Enchanting" granted utilities last?

3) Is there a reason why Spider Climb doesn't allow "sticking to surfaces" as a default ability (considering the name, one would assume it lets you act like Spiderman), giving a flat bonus instead, that does not necessarily include sticking to surfaces (hanging upside down on a roof probably wouldn't count), just climbing them ?

4) Is there a reason why Scent Tracker is so specified (allowing only tracking - it doesn't state your nose gets a +15 for anything else like smell identification and such, and the tracking demands an object), costs more than similar racials (like Spider Climb) and isn't a "passive ability" (like One With The Ocean allowing you to breathe underwater, or Magical Attunement letting you see magic), simply giving a high bonus instead?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:03 pm

Zarhon wrote:
2) How long does Spider Climb (the enchanting utility) last, since its duration isn't specified? How long do any of the other "Enchanting" granted utilities last?
Most of them say specifically, but on the flip side, yeah, Amphibious Travel, Spider Climb, and Traveler's Mantle all lack any wording on their duration. Unless they're supposed to never wear off, in which case Spider Climb and Traveler's Mantle might be good things to take and give everyone in the party at the start of a campaign... Smile
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Philadelphus wrote:
Zarhon wrote:
Most of them say specifically, but on the flip side, yeah, Amphibious Travel, Spider Climb, and Traveler's Mantle all lack any wording on their duration. Unless they're supposed to never wear off, in which case Spider Climb and Traveler's Mantle might be good things to take and give everyone in the party at the start of a campaign... Smile
You can also enchant a scooter (or similar easy-to-transport personal vehicle) and have a substitute for a submarine, for the entire party, for the rest of the game. Very Happy
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Again not sure if this is the right place but what is the contact feature on bottom of profiles?

I think I misinterpreted something and did the wrong thing if any of the staff receive a message of any sort I apologize...
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:38 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:Again not sure if this is the right place but what is the contact feature on bottom of profiles?

I think I misinterpreted something and did the wrong thing if any of the staff receive a message of any sort I apologize...  

Oh, that's a contact-the-staff link. It's actually on the bottom of all pages.

As configured on these forums, it's a method of sending a mass PM to all administrative staff.
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:46 am

What is roughly the size of a pony?
I've been thinking five feet but I'm not sure. Need to know for Create Crazy Contraption and building weaponless tanks.
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:49 am

You'll have to ask your DM. Who knows what the scale is in FiM. Their whole world could exist on the head of a pin or it could be that ours exists on one of their dust-specks.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:10 am

Given how many talents actually use precise known measurements, answering his question with that is SINGULARLY UNHELPFUL.
How about we ask roughly how many IN-UNIVERSE 'feet' the ponies are, so talents like Create crazy contraption and fabricate actually function?

How many IN-UNIVERSE 'feet' are the ponies intended to be for the designs of certain utility talents that mention feet? (Not actually going to wait for you to just answer my 'how about we ask X' question instead of answering X, forcing me to post again to actually ask X.)
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:14 am

It's not exactly that simple. As there isn't a fixed number, it's definitely up to the DM. However, for simplicity's sake, I recommend treating a pony to be the same scale as an adult human. It makes it easy to visualize how large things should be in comparison to the characters and such because we're pretty used to thinking about adult humans.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:01 am

To re-ask Zarhons question
Dose the Spider Climb enchantment and the Spider Climb racial Stack? I assume yes but confirmation would be cool
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:03 am

Yep!
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:52 am

Yay, base jumping pony ahoy!
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:14 am

Bump for questions unanswered.
Bump:
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:42 am

Size ranks are generally vague but they do need to be defined for the system considering people may not have played other systems. It also fits in line with the system goal of making work easier for DMs. All that's really needed is a rough chart of some sort in the base AoH/LL player guides and a few sentences about deviation.

• <size> <creature>
  • Large: Bear
  • Medium: Average pony/human. Generally fits within a cube's worth of space ranging between 3-8 feet on the sides
  • Small: Cat/dog/owl. Most house pets
  • <size> <creature>

Seems like a decent enough base once filled in. Once the broad strokes are filled in, a GM has a better standing ground for figuring out deviation. For instance, I believe the CMC and Spike might actually be considered Medium (the jump down to Small is usually something pet sized) but since they are smaller than everyone else the GM could rule they could slip through the crack/squeeze through the air duct/ride on someone's back with penalties.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:55 am

^
That would be nice, but I'll figure it out

In the meantime.
What exactly can a creature do "when defeated"?
As in, can they save ends or before forced to attack through Warlord talents?
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:49 am

I think we might be best off if GMs decided what sizes meant. If their players feel their rulings are unfair, they'll complain (and hopefully be listened to within reason) with or without guidelines that might be mistaken for unbreakable rules by new GMs.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:58 am

Actually, I think Z2 made a good point. These talents *are* designed with size and weight limits... A DM put on the spot to come up with sizes could lead to things being imbalanced. Might be best to specify a size and weight for ponies and make it clear that DMs can change that if they so desire.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 31 Empty potentially helpful ... or confusing

Post  SparkImpulse Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:28 pm

One explanation of size I've heard, is that some people assume the apples we see in the cartoon, are the same apples we see here ... making the "ponies" about the size / shape of our AMHA horses ... thirty-something inches to the shoulder and about 300lbs, give or take. At most they're the size of shetland ponies, around 450lbs and I forget how many hands high (horse people measure in hands, except for those minis, so you get used to seeing things like 16h1 or, "Sixteen hands one inch" ... medieval era measurement; there are four inches to a hand.)

Along the same vein, is measurement ... 'feet' wouldn't, truthfully, be as big as our feet. Maybe 6 inches. Some fanfics use 'hooves' that way ... six inches to a hoof, maybe eight or ten hooves to a ponylength.

I wouldn't recommend that for the RPG system, unless you have a real hard-core group, because they'll just be mentally doubling 'hooves' to hear how many feet long it is. but a consideration, for those tabletop ruleslawyers ... a pony is a quadraped, which means it's long and low. Certain cases would be affected by the fact that if you're standing broadside, you're exposing about three or four times as much surface area than facing a thing (RL horses regulate heat this way, by turning their ribs to the sun in the winter, and their tail to it in the summer).

Although honestly I can't, right at this instant, think of a case where you'd need to extrapolate much beyond existing tabletop terminology, which essentially assumes each player, and each monster, is a cube. You take up one square, and can travel six squares. That pegasus is two squares above you so no, your sword doesn't reach. Et Cetera (grammar nazi moment: I hate when ppl abbv that as 'ect.' it's 'etc'. Don't you use *nix? /etc/ is where all those unrelated files get dumped. Neutral  Sheesh.)
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  SparkImpulse Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:14 am

SparkImpulse wrote:One explanation of size I've heard, is that some people assume the apples we see in the cartoon, are the same apples we see here ... making the "ponies" about the size / shape of our AMHA horses

Or, you know. Maybe Not.
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:08 pm

What happens if you give Adorable Assistant derp? Does it gain a Magic-point or just make it fail more? Also while I'm thinking on it.

Does AA count as an Ally for purposes of awesomeness(giving or using) and such?
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:36 am

Is Derp the only way to gain additional Magic Points in the system? I know that some systems mention players being able to gain extra during a session due to especially heroic acts or good roleplay.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next