Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

+28
Pingcode
deonte9109
Caden2112
Mind Gamer
LoganAura
Doc pseudopolis
thematthew
Z2
Cardbo
AlicornPriest
sunbeam
Quietkal
Kenzamaka
Azureink
Philadelphus
Nehiel Mori
Fury of the Tempest
Dusk Raven
Paper Shadow
Hayatecooper
A1C Bronymous
Xel Unknown
Kindulas
kajisora
Ramsus
ZamuelNow
Zarhon
Stairc -Dan Felder
32 posters

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here - Page 9 Empty Re: New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:36 am

Dusk Raven wrote:
Fury of the Tempest wrote:
Dusk Raven wrote:Makes me wonder if I should design a weapon specifically with my flavor concepts in mind for inspiration...

Go ahead!

Indeed... but would this thread be the place to flesh it out, or some other thread in the combat talents section?

I'd argue that a combat thread would be far better. Less likely to be drowned out by other suggestions and there's a two suggestion per week limit anyways.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here - Page 9 Empty Re: New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

Post  Fury of the Tempest Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:39 am

ZamuelNow wrote:I'd argue that a combat thread would be far better.  Less likely to be drowned out by other suggestions and there's a two suggestion per week limit anyways.

You still need people to notice it... more noticeable here.

Totally forgot about the suggestion limit...
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:33 pm

1) The Celestial Spear *is* slightly overpowered at the moment. It would technically work better as a 3000 gold item or so, but that's fine for the purpose of illustrating the concept. However, this doesn't mean it needs a duration - but I do like the vanish-ultimates. They let us build cooler moves and it's an interesting choice if you want to use the big bad move that makes your weapon vanish now or not.

2) Building combat talents, traits, items, utility talents, destinies and more based on what would be awesome for your character to have is an *awesome* way to do design. It ensures that the audience for the design and the designer are the same person. Also, if you like it then it's more likely other people will too. Just make sure you don't fall into the trap of designing something overpowered because you want it to be more powerful for your build. This happens to designers all the time. When you want to use something, you're more inclined to convince yourself it's not as powerful as it looks... So you can have more awesome toys to play with. Most of the overpowered things in the system have been stuff that one or more designers liked way too much during development.

3) This isn't a place for discussion of anything that's not being submitted for the current week. The suggestion limit and this thread's multiple conversations about multiple talents are reasons for this. If you don't think something is ready, but you want to get feedback on it though, feel free to post it here - but the suggestion limit and multiple conversations will be an issue.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:10 pm

Accidentally posted this in Errata, moved here:

Got one that's so obvious I can only imagine it wasn't added to prevent minmaxing. Posting it just in case:

Utility Talent: Odd Physique
You gain 2 racial points.

I do realise Talents are supposed to be about 1.5 points, but... rounding. Besides, getting a utility is 2, so it evens out
kajisora
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:Inspired by Fury's suggestion.

[-2] Armor Piercing Slap - Minor Attack
Target Enemy is dealt 1 damage and suffers 2 vul until the end of your next turn.

Considering the name, wouldn't it be more "accurate" as:

Combat Talent - Armor Piercing Slap:

Your version that deals damage actually might not break resistance/"armor" like one that outright removes hp.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:24 pm

kajisora wrote:Accidentally posted this in Errata, moved here:

Got one that's so obvious I can only imagine it wasn't added to prevent minmaxing. Posting it just in case:

Utility Talent: Odd Physique
You gain 2 racial points.

I do realise Talents are supposed to be about 1.5 points, but... rounding. Besides, getting a utility is 2, so it evens out

Well, no, we really don't get to just round like that. However, I have wanted to make something like this that has a small drawback...
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:40 pm

ZamuelNow wrote:
Xel Unknown wrote:Inspired by Fury's suggestion.

[-2] Armor Piercing Slap - Minor Attack
Target Enemy is dealt 1 damage and suffers 2 vul until the end of your next turn.

Considering the name, wouldn't it be more "accurate" as:

Combat Talent - Armor Piercing Slap:

Your version that deals damage actually might not break resistance/"armor" like one that outright removes hp.
That's a very good suggestion for my talent.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:24 pm

A small drawback? Like what?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:33 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:A small drawback? Like what?
that IS the question
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:36 pm

Kindulas wrote:
that IS the question

Big one, isn't it? Maybe a... - to a skill? But then, minmaxing... unless its a - to your highest skill.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:39 pm

Kindulas wrote:
that IS the question

Big one, isn't it? Maybe a... - to a skill? But then, minmaxing... unless its a - to your highest skill.
That'd only lead to issues for those who balance getting hit harder then those that specialize if they take that talent.

Maybe have the racial giving talent cost two utility slots? That'd be a good drawback and might allow it be worth 3 racial points.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:51 pm

Kindulas wrote:
that IS the question

But that feels so lame, a - to your highest. Frankly, a - to any skill doesn't sound so bad - remember, we're talking a -1/3rd of a talent, so...
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Well, there IS the Abberant Heart from the Flaws doc.
Aberrant Heart:
My problem with that one is mostly that it cannot be taken multiple times because it grants 3 points, allowing you to loop it (though with potentially fatal results).
Maybe a version that grants 2, but with one of the two drawbacks?
kajisora
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:17 pm

Why not...
Utility Talent - Odd Physique - Idea 1:
Rounding down instead of up lowers the min-max potential and pushes people taking it to either really want something, use it specifically for creative builds, or be more tactical with their min-maxing.  Alternately, an idea with a drawback:
Utility Talent - Odd Physique - Idea 2:
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:23 pm

ZamuelNow wrote:Why not...
Rounding down instead of up lowers the min-max potential and pushes people taking it to either really want something, use it specifically for creative builds, or be more tactical with their min-maxing.  Alternately, an idea with a drawback:
I was thinking that rounding down would also be possible, but different. Thing is, I think the system needs /both/
Now, replacing skill training... needn't be both, since a skill training is 1 UT - but 1 training is 1/2 a UT, or 0.75 points. Which means, if we say you lose training in 1 skill, that I think would be appropriate. So, this talent would be 1/4th a racial trait point under-powered, but, I think that's fine. It's a powerful Utility Talent that gives you 2 trainings anyway.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:34 pm

Kindulas wrote:
ZamuelNow wrote:Why not...
I was thinking that rounding down would also be possible, but different. Thing is, I think the system needs /both/
Now, replacing skill training... needn't be both, since a skill training is 1 UT - but 1 training is 1/2 a UT, or 0.75 points. Which means, if we say you lose training in 1 skill, that I think would be appropriate. So, this talent would be 1/4th a racial trait point under-powered, but, I think that's fine. It's a powerful Utility Talent that gives you 2 trainings anyway.

Agreed, I was actually about to post almost exactly that XD
kajisora
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:40 pm

According to Dan, a utility talent is worth roughly 1.5 racial points. So If you take "Odd Physique (idea 1)" twice, you'd get 3 racial points (but only 1 from taking it once, or two if one was to round it up).
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:25 pm

Zarhon wrote:According to Dan, a utility talent is worth roughly 1.5 racial points. So If you take "Odd Physique (idea 1)" twice, you'd get 3 racial points (but only 1 from taking it once, or two if one was to round it up).
Ah, so the idea that you can take 1 point multiple times, and if you get the one point one you can take a copy of the two point one as well, do the prereq route
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:56 pm

So here's the deal. Fury's submitted talent, the new defender conjured weapon "Shield of Valor," doesn't work like he wished after I messed with it. Seems pointless to add in someone's suggestion if they don't like the result, so I'm open to messing with it, but the both of us have a long list of reasons why it should or shouldn't work this way or that - but now that it's a public talent, we'd like to call on help, suggestions and preferences from the rest of the community. Here's the thought process so far:
https://ponytales.forumotion.com/t645-discussion-on-alterations-to-the-new-conjured-shield#53740
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:27 pm

Bronymous wrote:Two submissions from my Unarmed Combat list, found here. It's be easier if I could just point out that link and have you guys go through that. But two samples:

Bare-Hooved- Trait
If you have no Weapon equipped, your Standard Attacks deal an extra 2 damage, and once per battle, you may use the following Combat Talent:
[-3] Left, left, Right- Reaction Attack
Trigger: You are targeted by an enemy.
Effect: Deal 3d8 damage to that enemy.

There is a sibling trait for this dealing with armor, but its super rough and not good right now.

[-3] C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER- Interrupt Attack
Trigger: An enemy would take a second Action during the same round.
Effect: Deal 1d6 damage to that enemy, and the action is negated.

Note that this could be from a second turn during the same round, or a second action on the same turn. Once per round is implied, because a creature can only have one "second" turn per round.
Combobreaker is really cool... though I fear it might be rarely useful, except overpowered vs. Solos
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:54 pm

Yeah, Combo-Breaker is neat, but extremely situational.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:03 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Yeah, Combo-Breaker is neat, but extremely situational.
With rare exceptions, solos are the only guys that take multiple actions. It's probably just too situational...
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:03 pm

Now, getting a bonus for not having a weapon? Very interesting...
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:02 pm

Kindulas wrote:Now, getting a bonus for not having a weapon? Very interesting...

Pretty powerful trait, a lot of builds easily forgo a weapon completely.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:04 pm

Certainly the trait as currently proposed is far too powerful. But the concept is a nice flavor twist.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next