Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

+28
Pingcode
deonte9109
Caden2112
Mind Gamer
LoganAura
Doc pseudopolis
thematthew
Z2
Cardbo
AlicornPriest
sunbeam
Quietkal
Kenzamaka
Azureink
Philadelphus
Nehiel Mori
Fury of the Tempest
Dusk Raven
Paper Shadow
Hayatecooper
A1C Bronymous
Xel Unknown
Kindulas
kajisora
Ramsus
ZamuelNow
Zarhon
Stairc -Dan Felder
32 posters

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here - Page 24 Empty Re: New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

Post  Ramsus Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:26 pm

Element - Art of the Dress

Just sayin'.

(Though this joke was better when Spellchild was Badass and you could have Badass: Art of the Dress.)
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here - Page 24 Empty Re: New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:43 pm

Zarhon wrote:Honesty is also extremely situational and requires the not-very-friendship-like act of having a hostage/prisoner, so its knowledge-getting power is given to you by the DM letting you capture somepony in the first place.
I'm pretty sure that the very point of Honesty is that the one you're using it on isn't a friend or that they're hiding something. Though I'll admit to disliking the prisoner requirement, I've already posted in the other thread.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:07 pm

Ok here's a new one. It's combat, but there's no math involved, so it shouldn't give anyone brain cancer just yet. So players are, in general, allowed to swap out and switch up parts of their combat builds, usually between sessions, as they see fit. But they aren't allowed to change mid session, or start battle, and then decide their build isn't any good or decide they want to try something different. Proposing this as a trait tree, because there are two different effects and the one might be too big for a cost of just one trait. Then again, the first one doesn't do much, so...

Multiclass- Trait
Select 8 different combat talents as a Secondary combat Move Set. Whenever you roll initiative, you may select either your Primary or Secondary combat talent list to take in to combat.

Prestige Class- Trait
Prerequisite: Multiclass
Once per battle you may spend a minor action to switch to either your Primary or Secondary combat Move Set (whichever you did not bring into battle).

Last edited by Bronymous on Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:11 pm

"Build" should not be the word you use as that's already used to mean something else.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:16 pm

It is? Ok... how about "Set List" or "Move Set".

What does "build" refer to, then?
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:19 pm

Ramsus wrote:"Build" should not be the word you use as that's already used to mean something else.
Umm... I do wonder where is Build used elsewhere?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:21 pm

Oh, it's not formally used. It's just what I've seen just about everyone use to refer to the way their 5 combat talent sets that they plan on bringing in. Example: "This is my primary build where I do dps and blinding, this is my secondary build where I do blinding and vulnerability." etc.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:45 am

ZamuelNow wrote:I'm curious to what modifications would be needed to get a digging utility into the system?  I'll admit to being semi-overt about trying to get diamond dogs into the system but I wondering if digging utilities have been losing out to not being cool enough compared to other entries for the week or if there's something mechanically wrong with them.
I guess digging mostly just lost out on style, but really it is a kind of racial thing we should probably have, especially if it's a thing for a canon race. You've specified what you can dig through, I guess the only other thing is to specify what kind of speeds you can do it at?

I admit part of the problem and, there's probably some evidence for this in the existent expansions, my strengths lie in manipulation of hard or at least existent mechanics (hence me being the combat guy), so really un-grounded (lol I just described "Digging" as "un-grounded") utility stuff, especially things that are kind of "new territory" I have a way of shying away from trying to work with. Part of why we need Nehiel back, because he loves to work with silly off the wall stuff.

Digging though, really if we specify the kinds of things they can dig through, mainly dirt, and then say something about how fast you can dig with a clause that you can boost that speed with Athletics, and then specify that you can't use it in combat it's probably fine.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:56 am

I don't think we need speeds since flight and swimming and walking don't have speeds specified anywhere. Without it specifying, we just assume normal speed. Which is probably the speed we'd want it to be at anyway.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:15 am

Ramsus wrote:I don't think we need speeds since flight and swimming and walking don't have speeds specified anywhere. Without it specifying, we just assume normal speed. Which is probably the speed we'd want it to be at anyway.
I'd think it was at least more akin to walking speed, though I guess this system isn't big on realism...
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:03 am

I'm not sure it needs an anti-combat clause since it's not a directly "damaging" power and utilities don't work in combat by default.  I did mention walking speed for this rewrite though a mph isn't needed.  I removed the -5 penalty but I'm fine with keeping it in due to the escape options it presents the user.  It seems stable enough that I can worry about the upgrade idea and the actual diamond dog suggestion at a later date.

Utility - Burrower:

Zamuel wrote:
Memories of the Departed:
kajisora wrote:Memories seems interesting, but isn't it a bit TOO situational?
Removing the requirement that the owner of the object is deceased would make it a lot more useful.
Hmm...so I guess you're proposing I change it to something like this..?

Utility - A Mile in Their Shoes:

Not sure of how to credit this with it drifting from the original inspiration.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:46 pm

ZamuelNow wrote:I'm not sure it needs an anti-combat clause since it's not a directly "damaging" power and utilities don't work in combat by default.  I did mention walking speed for this rewrite though a mph isn't needed.  I removed the -5 penalty but I'm fine with keeping it in due to the escape options it presents the user.  It seems stable enough that I can worry about the upgrade idea and the actual diamond dog suggestion at a later date.

Utility - Burrower:

Zamuel wrote:
Memories of the Departed:
kajisora wrote:Memories seems interesting, but isn't it a bit TOO situational?
Removing the requirement that the owner of the object is deceased would make it a lot more useful.
Hmm...so I guess you're proposing I change it to something like this..?

Utility - A Mile in Their Shoes:

Not sure of how to credit this with it drifting from the original inspiration.
I wonder if this would cause an issue for some DMs like the old "Learn one of target creature's secrets" power where it asks too much improv of some DMs. I mean, I like the power myself, but that could be an issue
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:19 pm

So anybody who reads my wall of text in the Element development discussion will know where I got this idea.

Utility talent: give until it hurts:
Pros:
-1d6 is more than an assist bonus, on average, and you can still make assist checks at a penalty, with some luck, providing an ever bigger bonus.
-It always has a bright side. If you roll a 1, you're not too inconvenienced, and if you roll a six then your friend is awesome for an hour.
-It can't be ended at will. If one party member NEEDS to make a skill check, you can give them this bonus, but there will be ramifications for you as time marches on. If you could end it at will it would basically be "target ally gains +1d6 to their next skill check."
Cons:
-This talent is begging to be loopholed, and it probably isn't that hard. For example, this can be used to boost a single skill check, then the party can rest for an hour, so that you can function again. Admittedly, that makes the talent a bit underpowered, but that leads me to the next con:
-It's a straight skill check boost, which we're trying to move away from. My argument for this is that generosity is a straight boost, but the magnitudes are so different, and Generosity is a 1-time thing (so you can blow one check out of the water with Generosity, which is already accounted for in how the DCs are built, but this is like having that illusory mask talent that just gives you a straight bonus to persuasion x/day, only you can use both of the talents together, getting an even higher roll...)
-Having to keep track of one hour's time is a little iffy, i.e. whether you count in-game or out-of-game time, what happens when the party hides behind a small outcropping to catch their breath during a chase, etc. This is very minor, but I like to be thorough.

The talent could be made 1/day, perhaps with a higher die to roll, perhaps not. I'm not certain how to numerically balance a boost to all skill checks that comes with a penalty to all skill checks.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:56 pm

[quote="Kindulas"]
ZamuelNow wrote:I wonder if this would cause an issue for some DMs like the old "Learn one of target creature's secrets" power where it asks too much improv of some DMs. I mean, I like the power myself, but that could be an issue
While possible, I guess it depends a lot on the player actually. A player who asks NPCs at random might be problematic. One that tends to ask NPCs important to the campaign are probably easier to plan ahead of time if not guess a general idea.

Oh, and I forgot to add a prep time but I guess it's up to you guys what that should be if this gets in.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:36 pm

sunbeam wrote:So anybody who reads my wall of text in the Element development discussion will know where I got this idea.

Utility talent:
Does this thing stack with itself (so an ally can get up to a +12 bonus and you up to a -12 penalty, or does a new usage cancel the effects of the old one out (e.g. remove your -6 penalty with a -1, and potentially remove the previous bonus from your ally)? Or can you not use it whilst the previous effect is up (meaning you can only use it once an hour)?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:44 pm

Here. Two Destiny's. As we need more Destiny's... even with the rework happening.

Changes in bold.

Gravity Master:

Luna's Rangers:
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:22 pm

I feel like introducing some combat stuff, just because.

[-1] Ice and Fire [Standard Attack]
Deal 1d8 damage to target creature.
Inflict 1d4 ongoing damage to target creature.

If I really wanted to, I could do an alternate talent named "Ice, Lightning, and Fire" that also caused a target creature to lose 1d6 HP... thoughts?

Trait: Threat Level (really needs a new name)
Once per turn, you can gain a bonus on damage equal to the amount of vulnerability you are suffering, minus the amount of resist you have (min 0).

Last edited by Dusk Raven on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:26 pm

That Trait has given be an idea... but I've already made my 2 submissions.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:43 pm

Zarhon wrote:
sunbeam wrote:So anybody who reads my wall of text in the Element development discussion will know where I got this idea.

Utility talent:
Does this thing stack with itself (so an ally can get up to a +12 bonus and you up to a -12 penalty, or does a new usage cancel the effects of the old one out (e.g. remove your -6 penalty with a -1, and potentially remove the previous bonus from your ally)? Or can you not use it whilst the previous effect is up (meaning you can only use it once an hour)?
I didn't even think of that. As worded, you could use it twice...and that doesn't seem like a half-bad idea. The "cripple yourself" concept is reinforced, and you can use it twice if you roll a 1 the first time or something.
However, if the talent could be used more than 2/day, then the total possible bonuses seem pretty ridiculous, since you average +10 to a skill check from one utility talent. So the fix would work this way:

Roll 1d6. For the next hour, target ally gains a bonus equal to the roll result on their skill checks, and you take a penalty to skill checks equal to the roll result. You cannot use this utility talent again until after this effect has ended.

But that edit is probably not necessary.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:44 am

Dusk Raven wrote:I feel like introducing some combat stuff, just because.

If I really wanted to, I could do an alternate talent named "Ice, Lightning, and Fire" that also caused a target creature to lose 1d6 HP... thoughts?

Once per turn, you can gain a bonus on damage equal to the amount of vulnerability you are suffering, minus the amount of resist you have (min 0).
So, long story short forum ate my post with math on it but I like Ice and Fire, however if we want it appropriately powered and for both effects to roll dice it fits best as

[-2] Fire and Ice - Standard Attack
Deal 1d10 damage to target creature
Roll 1d6. Target creature suffers that much ongoing damage (save ends).

Also Flaming Arrow's ongoing damage needs to drop from 1d6 to 3 based on the math I did.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:47 am

Kindulas wrote:
Dusk Raven wrote:I feel like introducing some combat stuff, just because.

So, long story short forum ate my post with math on it but I like Ice and Fire, however if we want it appropriately powered and for both effects to roll dice it fits best as

[-2] Fire and Ice - Standard Attack
Deal 1d10 damage to target creature
Roll 1d6. Target creature suffers that much ongoing damage (save ends).

Also Flaming Arrow's ongoing damage needs to drop from 1d6 to 3 based on the math I did.
Sounds good to me - the math escaped me at the time so I wanted to throw the idea out there first (namely, the dual-strike with different damage types idea) and let others help with the specifics.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:40 am

Paper Shadow wrote:
"Doomsday" Device (Utility Talent):

All Aboard! (Level 3 Boon):
I like this boon idea. It should be noted however, that the process of using a talent is the "Preperation time." We wanted to call it something like "Casting Time," but that's a term only for spells. We're considering calling preperation time simply "Time" so as to stop that confusion.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:09 am

Kindulas wrote:I like this boon idea. It should be noted however, that the process of using a talent is the "Preperation time." We wanted to call it something like "Casting Time," but that's a term only for spells. We're considering calling preperation time simply "Time" so as to stop that confusion.
Just calling it "time" would be more confusing I'd bet not less...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:14 am

Xel Unknown wrote:
Kindulas wrote:I like this boon idea. It should be noted however, that the process of using a talent is the "Preperation time." We wanted to call it something like "Casting Time," but that's a term only for spells. We're considering calling preperation time simply "Time" so as to stop that confusion.
Just calling it "time" would be more confusing I'd bet not less...
Hm... well do people have ideas for a word that would make it clear? Because there are questions like "Can I take the time to prepare this and then use it later at instant speed?" and the idea is that no, because it's not preperation time it's just the time it takes to use the skill. Usage time? Activation time? I don't much like those, any ideas?
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:18 am

Activation Time is better than Preparation time at the very least - because it isn't as misleading.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next