Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

+28
Pingcode
deonte9109
Caden2112
Mind Gamer
LoganAura
Doc pseudopolis
thematthew
Z2
Cardbo
AlicornPriest
sunbeam
Quietkal
Kenzamaka
Azureink
Philadelphus
Nehiel Mori
Fury of the Tempest
Dusk Raven
Paper Shadow
Hayatecooper
A1C Bronymous
Xel Unknown
Kindulas
kajisora
Ramsus
ZamuelNow
Zarhon
Stairc -Dan Felder
32 posters

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here - Page 18 Empty Re: New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:24 pm

Why would I bother. My input is clearly not appreciated, and its not like I could ever come up with something that resembles balance in a talent- especially since the only feedback I ever get is "No, it's not balanced, and I'm not going to offer suggestions on how to make it better, figure it out yourself, here's a bunch of numbers, have fun." The only time my stuff has ever been brought in is when someone who knows what their doing comes in and changes the stuff that needs to be changed.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here - Page 18 Empty Re: New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

Post  ZamuelNow Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:28 am

While I try to offer constructive criticism when I can think of clarification or alternate ideas, I'd argue that it might be best to delay adding more combat based content to the game until the math is revised.  Adding more would make things more tedious later on.

Anyways, my submissions this week:

Utility - Digging:

Racial - Photosynthetic:

Last edited by ZamuelNow on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:14 am

ZamuelNow wrote:I'd argue that it might be best to delay adding more combat based content to the game until the math is revised.  Adding more would make things more tedious later on.

I agree with this. Hopefully Bronymous will start thinking about this as well. His constant moaning at the developers is grating...

Anyway, gonna resumbit this:

Luna's Rangers:
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:57 am

I was going to suggest heat vision this week, but someone already did.

So here's two other utilities:

Mistform - 2/day
Preparation time: 10 seconds
Your body turns to magical mist for the next 20 minutes, or until you deactivate this utility. While in mist form, you gain It’s Almost Like Flying, and you cannot be harmed by physical objects: Arrows, falling boulders, kicks and punches pass through you as if you weren’t there, though you can be blown away by a strong wind, frozen, trapped in an airtight container etc. For the same reasons, you cannot use utilities or affect the environment while in mist form.

Tilt - 1/day
Preparation Time: 1 Minute
Duration: 10 mins
Size: Up to 100-feet diameter
On casting, you may tilt the direction of gravity in the affected area by up to 30 degrees in any direction.

Mistform I like for a lot of reasons: Traversal, escaping danger...
Tilt I like, but I still worry that it might be too powerful. Especially on a beach.
kajisora
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:29 am

Gravity Manipulation Talents would be awesome...

... Hmmm... I wonder...
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:40 am

While I don't have any combat talents to demonstrate the theory just yet...
Suggestion 1, Fusion:

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:45 pm

Tilt is funny, but being able to permanently change the gravity of the universe by 30 degrees?

Fusion is a really interesting concept, but difficult to figure out how to do eleganty.

I really like Mist Form. Seems like the cool Levitation idea - but with added flavor.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Tilt is funny, but being able to permanently change the gravity of the universe by 30 degrees?
permanently?
It only lasts for 10 minutes. I guess I should have made that clear in the text, besides just in the preparation/uses part
Granted, that's enough to do some serious damage if you use it creatively.
EDIT:
a digging talent would be really nice. Subterranean creatures are fun ^^

Last edited by kajisora on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
kajisora
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:02 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Fusion is a really interesting concept, but difficult to figure out how to do elegantly.
Indeed. I'll come up with something to demonstrate it. Scratch that I've thrown together something to demonstrate it, though I can't guarantee it's balanced or even effective. A demonstration model of the effect if you will.
Suggestion 2: Fuse Shield Golem:
More defensively in mind, like Shield of valor or Granite axe. Another idea I had for fusion was one which gave the user an extra standard action per turn, with a talent that makes them pay an extra standard action for an attack boost.

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:20 pm

Just for the record. I'm currently taking the Gravity Manipulation idea, and turning it into a full blown Mastery.

As well as Time Magic. Because why not.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:28 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Just for the record. I'm currently taking the Gravity Manipulation idea, and turning it into a full blown Mastery.

As well as Time Magic. Because why not.
Time magic is fun, but... icky. At least, if it's time travel magic. It tends to complicate stuff. Speeding stuff up/slowing it down would be really useful though.
That said, I do have a time based racial I was going to suggest next week.

Last edited by kajisora on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
kajisora
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:30 pm

Yeah, any time travel will be nothing more than a super-short rewind.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:37 pm

I can maybe see like a 2-5-minute time rewind Magic talent, that would specify you and up to 6 allies or some such number remember the time you erased (so it isn't like Galaxy Quest).

Also, what do you mean by mastery?
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:46 pm

On the subject of no more combat stuff, I don't think we should completely drop combat additions since I'm not sure when we'll actually get to the full revamp, and I think it's fine to add a few thing when they're really good - but we have been doing, like, 80% combat additions. I guess that makes sense since I, the combat guy, am in charge while Nehiel spends all his time having a job, but we *should* focus non-combat additions. So, I will decree that non-combat elements will be prioritized from now on.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:59 pm

Kindulas wrote:Also, what do you mean by mastery?
I meant destiny.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:09 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:
Kindulas wrote:Also, what do you mean by mastery?

I meant destiny.
makes sense
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:18 pm

*lazily flails arms vaguely in the direction of his Skill Support thread in response to "more non-combat"*
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:33 pm

*adds a link into the lazy ramsus post*

And while Yes, I'd enjoy seeing more non-combat options to brake this game wide open. But here's a suggestion for combat becuase I wonder what the Dev's thoughts on it are:
[-1] Masochism - Interrupt Utility [Created by SilentBelle]
Trigger: You succeed on a saving throw
Effect: You fail the triggering saving throw. Gain 1d12 temporary hit points.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:37 pm

Don't flail lazily. Flail vigorously! Besides, I'd noticed that combat seems to get more posts in most threads but I think half of that is from outcry whenever something gets rebalanced.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:48 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:
And while Yes, I'd enjoy seeing more non-combat options to brake this game wide open. But here's a suggestion for combat becuase I wonder what the Dev's thoughts on it are:
Wait, I'm confused. Shouldn't the Trigger be, "You make a Saving Throw"? Because it sounds like the trigger is succeeding on a saving throw, but you only get the benefit if you fail.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:50 pm

Cardbo wrote:
Xel Unknown wrote:
Wait, I'm confused.  Shouldn't the Trigger be, "You make a Saving Throw"?   Because it sounds like the trigger is succeeding on a saving throw, but you only get the benefit if you fail.
What it should say is "you fail instead." The idea is you can only give up a save that would have succeeded. I have to say, I really like this idea, though I'm afraid of making it too powerful because of build that *like* having SE effects - they would just abuse this too heavily.

Last edited by Kindulas on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:53 pm

*Reads thread*

Okay, yes, we do need some more support for those other skills, in as ways to make them useful. However, as to talents that give bonuses to skills, we don't want to go around letting those talents work for any chosen skill, since that would mean they can be used on Arcana - the only thing that can keep Magecraft fair is making it so that other skills have far more options to boost. Many complain that arcana is the most powerful skill because of what it can do. The fact is, it is - so we have to recognize that bonuses to arcana are more powerful than most other bonuses, and thus give it less - which is why Endurance has Longrunner and nothing else really does. It looks to me like you understand that and it's an important part of what you're talking about, but I see you making versions of Nimble Fingers and Hop, Skip that work with any skill - we really can't have that, these talents should be balanced with the used skill in mind.

Also, talents that depend on getting certain rolls can't exist, like the taking an ally's last roll for your own, because you can just start rolling random stuff until you get a result you want.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:58 pm

That gives a good reference point to go about said suggestions so thank you for the input.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Having more utilities related to skills would be nice...
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:16 pm

I don't really care if you had Nimble Hooves and Hop, Skip, Jump exclude Arcana but, as is, it's just unbalanced to have things like the currently official version of Eagle Eye, compared to Stealth Mode, compared to Nimble Hooves without comparative utilities for other skills. And it seems like a bunch of pointless work to make a version of Stealth Mode and Nimble Hooves for every other skills (especially when the result wouldn't be balanced if they did different things). As for Eagle Eye, I noted in there that, it's just not balanced at all to other options and really isn't what the system should be encouraging at all (so please don't "fix" the problem by making utilities that give permanent bonuses to other skills).

Edit: I'd also argue that your GM should never be allowing you to roll to get just a roll result. You should have to be rolling for something and this should produce a result. So, you can't make empty Stealth check to have a "fail" counted because this means you got the result for failing a Stealth check. Which shouldn't be a good thing. As for the History checks, why on earth would we want to not introduce a mechanic that encourages players to actually make history checks on everything they can think of? Most of the time the issue is that GMs practically have to smack players in the face with the fact that they should be making such checks.

Edit 2: To add some clarity, if you're trying to roll in a situation where failure would be a non-issue, your GM probably shouldn't let you really be rolling at all as this most likely means it's just something your character can do without a chance of actual failure.

Edit 3: So for example, you attempt to spam Stealth checks to get a failure. The GM responds by when you do fail, a guard notices you acting really suspiciously.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next