Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+42
Bubblez
Faege
Terrestial
Exuno
PhoenixSpectre
Cardbo
DrownedChampion
Broken Logic
mjh6
Copper Rose
Crystalite
Snagging Roots
deonte9109
Dusk Raven
LoganAura
Caden2112
Pingcode
Antiquated
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Z2
Paper Shadow
Fury of the Tempest
Philadelphus
Lapis-Lazily
tygerburningbright
Mind Gamer
Stairc -Dan Felder
Zarhon
sunbeam
Hayatecooper
Demonu
A1C Bronymous
XandZero2
Kindulas
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Sefton
Quietkal
Doc pseudopolis
ZamuelNow
SparkImpulse
46 posters

Page 19 of 30 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24 ... 30  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 19 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Xel Unknown Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:52 am

Treasure Trove doc wrote:Heavy Blade - 1500 Gold
Weapon
You suffer a -5 penalty to initiative. Twice per battle, you may use the following combat talent.

[-1] Ready Blade - Minor Utility [2/Battle]
You gain +5 damage on your next single target attack.

Longbow - 1500 Gold
Weapon
You may use the following combat talent.

[-2] Take Aim - Minor Utility
Your next single target attack this turn deals +5 damage.
Combat Talents doc wrote:[+3] Supercharge - Standard Attack
Deal 1d8 damage to yourself and flip a coin. If you win the flip, deal 1d10 damage to target enemy.
I've gotta ask... How doe the weapons Heavy Blade & Longbow combo with Supercharge? Does it boost the self-damage or only the coin-flip damage? Or is this upto GM's opinion?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 19 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:30 am

Xel Unknown wrote:
Treasure Trove doc wrote:Heavy Blade - 1500 Gold
Weapon
You suffer a -5 penalty to initiative. Twice per battle, you may use the following combat talent.

[-1] Ready Blade - Minor Utility [2/Battle]
You gain +5 damage on your next single target attack.

Longbow - 1500 Gold
Weapon
You may use the following combat talent.

[-2] Take Aim - Minor Utility
Your next single target attack this turn deals +5 damage.
Combat Talents doc wrote:[+3] Supercharge - Standard Attack
Deal 1d8 damage to yourself and flip a coin. If you win the flip, deal 1d10 damage to target enemy.
I've gotta ask... How doe the weapons Heavy Blade & Longbow combo with Supercharge? Does it boost the self-damage or only the coin-flip damage? Or is this upto GM's opinion?

Bump, extend to any and all talents that have separate damage against separate targets.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:02 pm

My character has the Miracle Worker destiny. It's Level 4 ability is as below. He is going to, but hasn't yet, create a cure for a disease ravaging the town he's currently in. The wording says he can take 20 on treating an affliction. I'm feeling the wording is just ambiguous enough to apply. What say ye here?

Level 4 – Healing Hands
You have gained the skill of a healer and the treatment of ailments has become routine to your skilled hands. Three times per day you may treat your next skill check to treat an affliction as though you rolled a natural 20.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:44 pm

I'd say the GM should allow it to be an instant nat-20 for a theoretical heal check roll... Not "taking 20" on the task for one thing. And yeah... It should be doable in my opinion.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:27 pm

Sorry. Nat 20. Not sure why I wrote take 20.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:56 pm

Not 100% sure what you're asking here, I'm interpreting it as "Does making a cure for a disease count as 'treating an affliction' for the purposes of making a Heal check to do so?" Feel free to correct me if that's wrong. If that's the case, though, I'd say that a disease definitely counts as an affliction, and creating a cure for one definitely counts as treating it, so if I were your GM I'd say 'Go ahead!'
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:02 pm

Yes, does chemically mixing an antidote count the same as physically curing an ailment, for the purposes of that Utility.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:39 am

Well, technically the ability never says anything about "physically curing an ailment", though I see how the first sentence could be interpreted that way. It could, however, just as easily be interpreted as you having great skill in mixing up correct dosages for medicines in your "skilled hands". This is sort of a gray area, and really up to GM discretion. As I mentioned before, in my opinion "creating a cure for a disease" counts as "treating an affliction" in a slightly more general sense, so I'd probably allow it to be used. Of course, "creating a cure for a disease" is a complicated process, and might require more than a single Heal check to do (maybe it's a magical disease, and requires some Arcana? Maybe a Mechanics check to assemble the equipment needed to work with the reagents for the cure? Maybe a History check to recall information about a cure for a disease last seen hundreds of years ago? Maybe a Perception check while boiling or distilling ingredients to make sure the dosage kills the disease and not the patient? You could go several ways with it).

Summary: I'd say it's allowable, but whether it's allowed is up to the GM.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:02 am

Well considering he's got detailed notes on exactly how to create it, I'd say he has those bases covered. Looks like it works then.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  DrownedChampion Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:13 am

Not sure if this is simple, but I do need an answer.

I'm building a character. Their explicit purpose is to protect a single other character. For that purpose I have them using

Guardian's Shield - 3500 Gold
Weapon
At the beginning of your turn, you may choose an ally. Until the start of your next turn, that ally is subject to your “Guard.” You may also use the following combat talent

[0] Shield the Blow - Interrupt Utility
Trigger - An enemy targets an ally within 6 spaces of you with a melee or ranged attackhiel
Effect - If that ally is subject to your “Guard,” move to a space that is between that ally and the triggering enemy, or adjacent to both. The attack targets you instead.

Now, I use this on that person every turn and block every attack. I'm going to take a lot of damage. Luckily, I have a countermeasure. I plan to use

[+2] Guarded Stance - Standard Utility
Until the end of your next turn, you take half damage from creatures adjacent to you.

The general idea is that I then jump to a space adjacent to the enemy in question and take half-damage from their attack, with Guardian's Shield for good measure. However, if I go too far I might have a hard time getting back to my ward. So the intent is to take

Ring of Strategic Withdrawal - 1500 Gold
Trinket
Once per battle, you may use the following combat talent.

[-1] GAH! - Interrupt Utility
Trigger - An enemy makes an attack against you.
Effect - Jump up to 5 spaces and deal 1d10 damage to the triggering enemy.

What I'm hoping happens is that
1.) My ally gets attacked.
2.) I use "Shield the Blow" in order to interrupt the attack.
3.) Using "Shield the Blow" I leap right to them, no matter how far away they are.
4.) Using the "Ring of Strategic Withdrawl", I use "GAH!" to jump back closer to my ward in order to avoid the attack.

The question I have is whether or not I gain the halved damage from "Guarded Stance" as I leap backwards. As a secondary question, should I repeat the chain of events and leap backwards when the person is using a melee attack, do I avoid the attack altogether?
DrownedChampion
DrownedChampion
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:29 pm

No, it's not simple, due to some rules being incompletely defined, but here's my best go at it. The simplest ruling – and what I think the intent behind the RoSW might be – is that you simply take no damage when using it as long as they attack wouldn't still hit you anyway (e.g., say you get hit by an area-of-effect attack, and for whatever reason jump to a tile that would still be part of it; you should still take damage in that case, but not if it was a single target attack aimed directly at you).

To answer your specific questions: if you've used Guarded Stance, you're adjacent to an enemy, and they attack you with a:
...melee attack: you interrupt and jump to a non-adjacent tile, they can no longer hit you. No damage. If you jump to another adjacent tile, half damage.
...targeted ranged attack: you interrupt and jump away, their attack misses. No damage.
...AoE attack: you interrupt and jump away. If you jump to a square outside the AoE, no damage. If you jump to a square that's still within it (say for whatever reason there are no other spaces to jump to), then your "adjacent" status gets updated: if you're within the AoE but not adjacent to the enemy, full damage. If you're within the AoE but still adjacent to the enemy (you simply jump from one adjacent tile to another), half damage.

Phew, complicated. I think that covers all the permutations, but I might have missed something in there.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  DrownedChampion Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:07 am

Alright, thank you, it was a difficult question and I appreciate the answer.
DrownedChampion
DrownedChampion
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:02 pm

In Wanderlust, can rolling crits with your conjurations activate your special moves? For example, can the battle spirit activate all 3 of your specials if you roll a natural 20 on his attack?
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:21 pm

I was of the understanding that you explicitly couldn't.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:26 pm

WE couldn't in Pony Tales, it doesn't say in Wanderlust. It's probably still no, but if that is the case, it should probably be added to the section on conjurations in the Wanderlust stuff.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:20 pm

Hey, the battle spirit actually let's me investigate with math!
[-3] Conjure Battle Spirit - Standard Action (Conjuration)
Create a conjuration with the following statblock.
Battle Spirit - 3 Charges
A: {1} Deal 1d20 damage to target creature. (Single, Attack)
B: {1} Target creature gains 20 life. (Healing)

We know from B that one Battle Spirit is supposed to produce 60 healing, which is equivalent 40 damage (6 life/4 damage is the conversion factor).

If you use A 3 times, and you have no chance of critting, 3d20 is worth 10.5*3=31.5 damage. If you factor in the crit chance, then 3d20 is worth 12.5*3=37.5 damage, Which is much closer to the target quantity.

So in all likelihood, rolling any d20 activates all your special moves in combat, even if your PC is not personally rolling. That lines up with a memory I think I have of discussing a lack of the Conjurer's Special trait in Wanderlust.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:22 pm

This is a conversation in which we determined that conjuration rolls activate your special moves. You really don't have to read it, just take my word for it.

OOC:
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  DrownedChampion Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:04 pm

If my opponent rolls master defense and saves out my attack, can I still roll to attempt to crit?
DrownedChampion
DrownedChampion
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:22 pm

Does Nova's passive allow you to target additional random damage back at the original target?

Nova:

Example of additional random damage - Sorcerer’s Lightning's special d10 & d12:

Does the additional energy cost on a Companion's combat powers ONLY affect Standard actions or does it also affect Minor/Reaction as well?

Companion:
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:20 am

For the first one, I assumed the original target could be perfectly valid for the second, random strike, at least in Sorcerer's Lightning. For the second, I don't believe it affects non-standard actions.

Meanwhile, I recall there being some possible "official houserules" about social skills, three in particular, but I don't remember what they were, there's no reference to them in the final doc, and I can't otherwise find them...
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  DrownedChampion Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:15 am

[-6] Never Stay Down - Interrupt Utility
Trigger - You are reduced to 0 hp or less.
Effect - At the beginning of your next turn, if you are still alive, you regain 2d8 hit points and may take an extra standard action.

Does this work to resurrect a defeated character, as in a character below -15 HP but not yet at -30?
DrownedChampion
DrownedChampion
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:06 am

DrownedChampion wrote:[-6] Never Stay Down - Interrupt Utility
Effect - At the beginning of your next turn, if you are still alive, you regain 2d8 hit points and may take an extra standard action.

Does this work to resurrect a defeated character, as in a character below -15 HP but not yet at -30?
Similar to other effects that give health to a defeated character, it does heal you, but you continue to count as defeated in that combat.
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 19 Empty Wound Reflection, Pacifist, and Stalwart

Post  PhoenixSpectre Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:09 pm

So on the system my DM is having us use (have no idea which one it is), there is a combat talent called Wound Reflection, which functions like this:

[-3] Wound Reflection - Reaction Attack
   Trigger - An enemy within 10 spaces deals damage to you.
   Effect - Deal an equal amount of damage to the triggering enemy.

And there are two traits, Pacifist and Stalwart which function as follows:

Stalwart
    You have resist 4 but suffer a -3 penalty to damage.

Pacifist
    You suffer a -2 penalty to damage. Whenever you grant an ally hp, that ally also gains 1d10 temporary hp.

So here's the question then: Stalwart and Pacifist give you a penalty to damage, but the required effect as defined from Wound Reflection is that you are supposed to deal an equal amount of damage to the triggering enemy. So does that mean that the damage bonuses from Stalwart and Pacifist end up cancelling out? And if now, how exactly does that mechanic work?

PhoenixSpectre
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:37 pm

Quietkal wrote:
DrownedChampion wrote:[-6] Never Stay Down - Interrupt Utility

Similar to other effects that give health to a defeated character, it does heal you, but you continue to count as defeated in that combat.
If that's true I highly disagree with it...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:57 pm

DrownedChampion wrote:If my opponent rolls master defense and saves out my attack, can I still roll to attempt to crit?
Should do, yeah. You're still making the attack, the opponent just dodges its effects.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 30 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24 ... 30  Next